Shadow's Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Maybe it was." She said a part of her relieved that classes were cancelled. "I'll have to go home so I can change. Then we can go anywhere if you like." She didn't go into the fact she would have to try and talk some sense into her uncle; which would wind up ending with him yelling at her. She couldn't understand why he disliked her so much.

Nathanial paused, watching with the ever present fascination as his skin slowly started to knit together. "Huh? Oh, yeah....why don't you just pack your bags and live here for awhile? After all, that beast knows where I live now and I really don't want to be alone." He moved towards one of the cabinets in the kitchenette and pulled out a pack of band aids.

He recalled her comment earlier and he smiled softly at her. "I really do know how to take care of myself...the scars on my back are from my accident." He shrugged, not knowing how to explain things. "I'll get dressed for the day and take you home to pick up your stuff."

Another relief of the day, he didn't want to be alone. She figured the campus wouldn't be able to find someone for him that quickly. "Yeah, I can do that. I will have to…muddle the truth a little though when I tell them I'm staying. I'll have to be creative otherwise my uncle will not let me stay. He's a bit old fashioned in the sense a man and a woman shouldn't even be in the same house together until they are married, even if it is for one night, or a week."

She nodded her head and didn't ask him any questions about his scar. It felt good to be able to be open about things though. She'd just met him but it seemed like they'd been friends for some time. It was strange but she liked it. "Sure." She said and went to gather what things she had. When he was ready she followed him to his car wondering what she was going to say to her uncle.

Nathanial finished changing, exiting the room in a dark blue shirt with a tan jacket. He took his car keys out of his pocket and led Jessamine to it. It was an old Ford Tauros, obviously having seen better days. "Sorry about the car. It was one of the only things I could get after the car accident. Besides, I had medical bills to pay." He opened the car door for her, ushering her inside.

Pulled away from her thoughts she shook her head. "No need to apologize, it's dependable and it runs right? All a car really needs." She smiled and got into the passenger seat after he opened the door for her. She adjusted her pack so it was more comfortable and waited for him to start. She rattled off the address but she would give him actual directions there if he needed it.

It wasn't far and she knew it would be easy to spot. There were woods surrounding most of it though the rest was all farmland. There was a large barn out back behind the house and a stable to the right side. The house itself was a greyish white with green trim. Not the prettiest but it was home. It was two stories and looked like it had been made to withstand just about anything. Though it was mostly because it was made from one of the finest woods there were around. She knew her uncles red truck would be parked in the side garage to the left. If it wasn't there she figured she might be in trouble.

Nathanial nodded, driving along. He took the directions she instructed for him and soon he was pulled up outside her house. "Want me to come in and help? Or, should I wait out here?"

He looked out the window at the house, feeling tense for some reason.

"You might want to stay out here. My uncle's car is home and he might not like the fact a boy drove me home or is going to drive me to my friends. If you like you could come and meet my aunt, she's more understanding than he is." She said looking at him from the passenger seat. She saw her uncle in the window and got out of the car before she heard his answer. "It shouldn't take me long." She said quickly heading into the house.

Nathanial nodded, leaning back in the seat in the car. He tapped his fingers on the wheel, feeling anxious and worried. He watched as Jessamine made her way in and he sighed. "Great....now what?" He inspected his fingers, glad that they had almost healed.

He tried not to feel antsy about the situation but he knew that if Jessamine was not back quickly, he would go get her. The last thing he wanted was to be out for very long.

Last edited:
She rushed by her uncle before he could get a word in his voice carrying up toward her as she went to her room. She could hear her aunt talking to her uncle downstairs trying to calm him down. It wouldn't take long before he would come up and let her have it. Packing as much as she could that she knew she would need she went down to face the music. Her uncle was fuming at the base of the stairs. She paused but went to take it anyway; she really hoped Nathanial would stay in the car and wait for her. She motioned for her aunt to go talk to him while she dealt with her uncle.

Nathanial slammed his forehead against the steering wheel several times. He was upset and frustrated. He picked up his sell phone, checking the time for a few moments before he noticed someone approaching. It seemed to be her aunt. "Hi, you must be Nathanial?"

Nathan nodded, smiling. "Hi. Yeah, that's me."

"Good, I thought you would be waiting still. I'm sorry you couldn't come in but my husband is having one of his bad days." She said feeling sorry for Jessamine. There were times she intervened but they were few and far between. Her husband could be really stubborn when he wanted to be and there was no getting away from it.

"She will be out in a moment or two. I guess she's really been through a lot. I heard it's because she had some help that she'd gotten through it all the way she did. I wanted to thank you for that."

Nathanial blinked, utterly confused. He had helped her? "She's been more help to me. It was my best friend's girl that was victim at the college." He smiled, nodding. "I will make sure she's settled in and taken care of."

He didn't feel that he had to say anymore. There was nothing else that could be said about the situation. People were dying and they knew why.

"I wouldn't doubt it." She said giving him a sad smile. "I'm sorry for her friend's loss, I do hope they catch whoever it is going around killing people." She heard the door slam behind her and she turned to look. "Oh, here she comes. Be sure to tell Angela to make sure she keeps Jessamine in at night, I don't want that girl out and about with all of this going on."

Jessamine walked up to her aunt and gave her a small peck on the cheek and a small goodbye before getting into the car. "Let's go." She said her voice just a tad choppy and her eyes a little wet.

"I'll make sure Angela knows." Nathanial was once again perplexed but remained silent until Jessamine entered the car. He pulled away from the house, looking over at her. "You okay?" He decided in that moment to take them to ice cream. He pulled into the city, stiffening as a truck pulled up alongside him, almost hitting his side of the car.

He veered off into the ice cream parking lot, taking a few deep breaths before turning his attention towards Jessamine. "Alright, let's get a treat."

((Sorry housemate drama…to the EXTREME))

"I'll be fine." She said not going into any more detail. If she wanted to talk about it she would but for now she just wanted to go somewhere else. She couldn't help but reciprocate his own action in hers. It was probably more of a subconscious reaction than anything but she was relieved when it didn't do any damage. She looked at the shop and allowed herself a small smile.

"Sure." She said following him to get some ice cream. It was a nice retreat from, home. "What do you think we should do after this? We could go back and strategize or…I don't know."

Nathanial went into the ice cream shop, grabbing some for him and letting her pick out her own. He hid his shaking hands from her sight and nodded. "Wherever and whatever you want." His voice was strained and he looked a little pale.

"Want to try some of this double chocolate?" He motioned to his hardly touched ice cream.

She paid herself grabbing some cookie dough ice cream herself. It tasted much better than she originally thought though she'd only had DQ before. She looked toward him and said, "why not to someplace quite. It would be nice to just sit and relax a bit without people right?" She asked noticing how pale he looked.

"No I'm alright, but what about you? Coming down with a cold?" It worried her how pale he looked and she hoped it had nothing to do with what had happened last night. She wished she could remember it all.

Nathanial smiled. "Somewhere quiet sounds nice." He shook his head, looking down at his hands. "I'm fine...just...near misses like that make me remember the accident and I'm just a little shaken up."

He took a deep breath, taking a few bites of his ice cream and sighing. "Sorry. You would think after a year it would be easier..." he shrugged, not wanting to talk to her about what had happened. He was worried he was already saying too much about it. She couldn't possibly care.

"But it never goes away right?" She said it more as a statement than a question almost like she was remembering something herself. She got it and she didn't press him about it. "So anyplace in particular you know of that's out of the way and uninhabited by humans?" She asked changing the subject.

Finishing off her ice cream she threw away the napkins and waited for him. She was glad he was feeling alright but she felt for him. Accidents were tough and some people took longer to get over them than others. Her uncle being the primary suspect, he still blamed her for his sister's death but she didn't know that.

Nathanial nodded. "It never goes away...even after I recovered and my body healed and I was no longer paralyzed...sometimes I wake up screaming because I remember..." his face screwed up and he stood, walking towards the car. He climbed in, his fingers gripping the steering wheel so tight that his knuckles turned white.

"Sorry..." he started to say something but his phone started sounding off. He flipped it open, turning down the radio. "Hello?" Frantic fussing could be heard and he shook his head. "Mom! Mom, I'm alright....no. mom, I'm okay. I've got someone living with me right now."

Status
Not open for further replies.