Shadow's Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running; all she could do was run. Her legs pumped hard beneath her but she could feel it coming closer. Those glowing green eyes boring into her back. Her breathing had picked up and she was mumbling in her sleep. She tossed and turned until she stopped moving completely. Her breathing had steadied. Slowly she sat up in the bed her eyes still closed. Standing she walked toward the door and opened it.

She moved uncertainly through the room until she reached the window looking out into the street. She'd gotten away in her dream but it was still out there. Pressing a hand to the glass she hit it once, then twice. It would sleep for a time, they would be safe for a while. The thought did not put her at ease. They had to find it and kill it. They had to make sure it didn't kill again.

Turning from the window she walked toward the door heading to the hallway. They had to do something. Her head turned toward the room Nathanial was staying in her eyes still closed. She could see it, she could see what was happening but she could do nothing about it. Reaching a hand toward the door she tried the knob; nothing happened. She tried the knob again but she couldn't get it open and she didn't understand why.

The shadow watched from the window; keeping itself hidden from her sight. Well if she'd had her eyes open it would be hidden. This all just seemed too easy. It would not get them now; that would not be fun. It would play, that was its favorite thing to do. Play with the main course till it killed them all.

Nathanial tossed in his sleep. For some reason he thought he heard someone trying to get in the door. He stood groggily, going to the bedroom door and slinging it open. "Huh?"

Jessamine paid him no notice as she tried to get the door open. She frowned and mumbled something about 'help them' and 'fight it'. Both her hands were no the knob trying to pull it open but it wouldn't budge. Letting go she stood in front of it unmoving, hands limp at her sides. She could see them; the ones that think were after.

Not all of them and she wasn't even sure if it was after them. She just saw people surround something. She had to go, she had to help. Pressing a hand against the door she tried to push it once. Pulling didn't work, pushing didn't work. What else was there to do? In the back of her mind she thought she heard someone. Her head turned toward the sound. She looked like she was asleep but she was up and moving. "Have to go, have to help." She said trying to push the door again.

Nathanial was always a grumpy riser. He had what he called a "zombie mode". He walked towards the front door, noticing it was just Jessamine. "Back to bed." He grumped as he tugged on her arm. "Nothings out there."

Jessamine 'looked' at him and shook her head as she let him lead her toward the room again. She stopped halfway there pulling her arm free as her head turned toward the window. It was there, she could swear it but she couldn't 'see' it. She moved toward the window freezing before she got to close.

The shadow silently chuckled to itself as it saw the pair together. Perhaps it could play with them a little. The shadow slid across the window making just a small amount of noise. It hid its glowing eyes so it wouldn't be noticed right away. Later it would let them rest, later it would leave them be. For now it was going to have a little fun.

It made noises and scratched along the window. It wasn't until it felt they were close enough did it turn its eyes on them. Jessamine didn't notice because her own eyes were closed but she could still feel it. Like earlier, they bore into her, at least that's what it felt like. She took a step back; putting herself in front of Nathanial. There was no reason for it she just did it instinctually.

Nathanial was still half asleep as the scratching noises slid across the window. His eyes popped open and he froze before he approached. He peered closely at the window, bothered more than ever. "But I'm on the third floor..." glowing eyes suddenly bored into him and he yelped loudly.

Jessamine stepping in front of him made him upset. Shouldn't it have been the other way around? "Wake up!" He shook her shoulders before pushing her towards David's room. There was no window in there and he had a feeling the fake lightsaber his friend had hidden in the closet would make him feel at least slightly better.

The force on her shoulders made her frown but she followed without complaint her eyes beginning to slightly open. Grumbling under her breath she slowly walked toward David's bed and sat down breathing steadily head lolling forward a moment before snapping up. "Wha-." She started when she noticed the change of scenery.

Her eyes went to Nathanial holding the fake lightsaber. "Why do you have that?" She asked groggily. She had her own way of waking up, her own 'zombie mode' but at the moment it didn't kick in because she felt like she'd already been awake. She would need coffee before this was all said and done. "Why am I here?"

Nathanial poked his head into the hallway before frowning at Jessamine. "You really don't remember trying to break out of the dorm? Or the eyes?" He grunted, flopping on the bed beside her, lightsaber toy still in his hand. "I'm too tired for this."

He groaned, his face pressing into the pillows as he lay there on his stomach.

"No. I just remember running and then…this." She said letting out a long sigh. Her eyes felt heavy but she couldn't go back to sleep. She watched him flop on the bed and lay silently beside him. Lucky for them the bed was big enough for two people to lay together without touching. After a moment or two of silence she muttered; "I'm sorry."

She faced him and added; "I'll head back to the other room. I don't think it will still be out there and…its full now."

Nathanial sighed. "Its fine...you can stay here..." he yawned, going back into aombie mode. "Mmm...safer here...." his eyes dropped shut and he smiled.

"No reason to be sorry."

"Alright." She said laying with her eyes wide open. It didn't last long before sleep once again took her but unlike last time it was uninterrupted. When she woke she was facing Nathanial closer than she was before. Feeling a blush touch her face again she slowly began to move away so she wouldn't wake him. It was probably still early in the morning. She normally woke this early to do chores.

Closing her eyes she mentally cursed herself. Chores, she really was going to hear about it from her uncle later. Standing she padded to the door and went to Nathanial's room slipping her pants back on but kept her blouse off. Taking her long hair in her hand she grabbed her mother's hairpin and put it back in like she had the day before. Perhaps she should make coffee or tea or something, if only she knew which one would be better.

Nathanial yawned and shifted in the bed when he felt the heat leave. One of his eyes popped open and he wondered why he was in David's room. "Dude! Your bed sucks!" He yelled into the other room.

Standing, he took off his shirt and headed to the bathroom. "I call shower first so your girlfriend better not barge in this time..." he moved to stand under the showerhead, struggling to remember the day before.

She turned listening to Nathanial speaking through the door. It was really hard not to laugh at the bed comment. At the mention of David's girlfriend her smile faded. He didn't seem to be awake enough to remember. She waited until she heard the shower start before she walked out of his room all her things with her. She'd even made his bed.

Setting her things on the couch she went to the kitchen and rummaged around through some of the cupboards noting which ones were Nathanial's and which ones were once David's. The coffee pot was easy to figure out and she even boiled some water for tea if he wanted it. She took a glass herself and grabbed a cup of coffee waiting on the couch until he was finished with his shower. Her phone started to ring and she noted the caller ID. Hitting the end button she put her phone away. At the moment she wasn't in the mood to deal with her uncle.

((sorry was driving home))

Nathanial finished his shower, hopping out and getting into some clean pants. He draped the towel over his head and walked into the kitchenette. Yawning, he frowned when he realized there was already a pot of hot water on the stove. He grunted, grabbing a mug and his peppermint tea. The smell of the peppermint seemed to wake him up and as he poured hot water into the mug, he remembered everything that had occurred. The mug in his hand shattered as he flexed his fingers and the hot water spilled over his bare chest. "SHIT!" Nathanial shouted, hopping from one foot to the other frantically.

((No worries))

Nathanial's shout woke her up more than the coffee in her hand. In an instant she was up on her feet and in the kitchen. She took stock of what happened quickly noting the glass on the floor and the steaming water coming from it. Before she could really think she carefully tugged him away from the glass and pulled the towel from his head dabbing his chest hopefully getting the hot water off him quickly enough.

"You alright? Do you have any Aloe?" She asked thinking that was right. Grabbing a chair she sat him down in it and made sure he hadn't stepped in any glass.

Nathanial looked up at Jessamine, shock on his face. She had just reacted faster than he had. "I'm fine..." He shook his head, grabbing her arm. "Sit. Just sit." His face was wrinkled in confusion and he sighed heavily. When it dawned on him what he had done to the mug, his eyes went wide and his mouth dropped open. "Shit...Did I?" His gaze turned towards the mug and he realized his fingers were covered in scratches and gashes from breaking the mug.

He jumped to his feet, moving to the kitchen and quickly cleaning the shards. "Sorry, sorry..."

She did as she was asked but she still wanted to do something for him. "It's alright, let me help." She said as she got up and moved to grab the garbage. She was thankful it was mostly away from the glass but she was careful anyway. "You might want to tend to your hand while I do this." She said letting out a long breath.

"You shouldn't leave your hand like that, it will get infected and it will hurt even worse. From what I saw you do before you should know that." She said her heart still racing from what had just happened. Why she was suddenly acting so calm she didn't know but someone had to think rationally…she hoped.

Nathanial laughed, scooping up the mug in his hands and ignoring the blood that appeared as the shards cut into him. "Don't worry about me." He brushed the mug into the trash and then looked at Jessamine. "I'll clean my hands, you just be careful." He moved to he sink, washing his hands carefully. He pointed to the burns that had laced his chest from the hot water. "Look, burns are healed already."

He shut the water off and then groaned. "I can't believe I broke the mug with my fingers..."

"I'll be fine, walk around worse all the time." She said remembering all the things she found in the woods when she'd walk around barefoot. She was a little surprised at how quickly the burns were gone but she should have known better. He had rapid healing.

"Perhaps it's just a new skill, or something you always had that didn't come up until now." She said moving toward him. Leaning against the sink she looked out the window. There was a vague feeling that was important but she couldn't place why. Pushing the thought away she asked. "So what next? I'm going to assume classes are canceled today too." A small smile touched her face when she added; "I don't get the updates, my aunt and uncle do though."

Nathanial leaned against the sink, sighing heavily. "Yeah, classes are cancelled." He watched his scratched fingers with amusement. "Maybe it was a gift..." Shaking his head, he looked over at Jessamine. "Want to go somewhere?"

Status
Not open for further replies.