Status
Not open for further replies.
Name: Iemochi Tani

Onna-Bugeisha2.jpg

Weapons:
Naginata
Hankyu
Tachi

Personality: pious, religious, private, fickle, melancholic, restrained, passionate

History:
What a happy family. As daughter of a rundown samurai, serf to a minor noble, Tani was very lucky to have been wed to her husband. He, loyal samurai to his liege Lord Soragawa, held a position of respect and privilege within Soragawa’s household. Trusted and renowned as a true supporter and fearsome warrior his Lord entrusted a strategic domain to his care. Tani was married to him when she was 16 years. She regarded him as a wise man. Their age-difference meant nothing, as her position as his wife brought honour and good fortune to her family.

Their marriage life started off excellent. Soon after the formal ceremony, in which they were wed, Tani became pregnant of their first son. For years all was well. She gifted her husband several more children, and he managed to retain his high rank by a prowess in battle which only seemed to ripen as he aged.

Then in a faithful battle, Tani’s samurai was betrayed, slain and beheaded. A rival samurai from within Soragawa’s following had plotted against him and his family. Not all samurai seemed to value honour and honesty as highly as her husband did. Even before the message of his demise could reach his household the same samurai staged a ‘ronin’ attack on her house. A combined force of ninja and ronin attacked in the night. Ill prepared, the household guard was taken by surprise. That same night her children were slain. Tani managed to escape, by a miracle and her prowess with the naginata. With thugs pursuing her, she ran for her father’s home.

A home threadbare, cold and isolated. But very defendable. Once her ancestral home had been an impregnable castle on the top of high cliff. Now it was less impregnable, but still on top of the high cliff and defended by her old father and his faithful retainers. The fake ninja-ronin force were met by a formidable force armed with odds and ends, but with fire in their belly and anger in their eyes. They did not get Tani.

As is customary for any widow, Tani became a Buddhist nun. Buddhism was a way for Tani to come to terms with her sorrow and loss. Within one night her life had crashed down and burned to the ground. Husband dead, children dead, home destroyed. After a couple of years, the attention of the murderer of her family was diverted by other political intrige. Now. more experienced, and more in touch with the political plane in their world, Tani still feels the pull of tradition and servitude. Through her husband she is still bound to Lord Soragawa. Tani has found - though Buddhism - a place for her sorrow. With the threat to her life lessened, and she being in a better place, Tani decides to leave the convent and return to her father's home.

At her ancestral home, the widow tries to put her first tentative steps towards regaining some honour in her husband's name. Honour and tradition wrestle with anger and sadness. Within that turmoil a tiny hint of hope shines through. Perhaps she can regain some semblance of her earlier position and rank. She owes it to her late husband and murdered children to at least attempt such feat.

After evening upon evening of heated discussion with her father Tani Iemochi reached her decision. She sets off on a path which can bring her what she wants. And she wants death or victory. Both goals are equal in her appreciation of them. Both goals will bring honour to her family. With death having the perk of her being reunited with them. What is her plan exactly? Tani will try to find a place at the home of Lord Soragawa, or one of his trusted, high-ranking samurai. She will bide her time and look for any opportunity to regain some of her former station.

Extra:
Tani’s favourite Buddhist sayings – which she uses frequently:
“Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.”
“Our sorrows and wounds are healed only when we touch them with compassion.”

Last edited by a moderator:
@firejay1 I woudn't say very idealistic or proud... rather the Shiba family did what they needed to do to survive as a minor/lower samurai family. It's just that my character was brought up in his situation that he grew up to be like that. So, it's rather hardworking/humble than idealistic/proud. But, thanks! I'm glad you like my character. As to where he trained. I kind of got a bit lazy and left a 7 year gap from when he became a police officer to current day. So, it's safe to assume that he picked it up in that time frame.

@KageKaioh Yea... Kanji is killer.

Go ahead Kage, I should be home Friday or Saturday and my life should get back on track.

Grogoniy- There is a fairly big issue with Tani- Only The head samurai know of the assassination attempt. There is no way a nun from a distant place could know. Also, there is a bit of a location problem. Unless her ancestral home was a smaller prefecture that was given to the Sorawaga clan and became part of Yakuz, they would not have a castle; as the fortress would belong to Soragawa-dono. Further more, if this is the case, it cannot be on an icy cliff, as Yakuz is fertile plains and dense, temperate forest.

Another option could be that her family is middle/high in rank, and occupy their ancestral home in Soragawa's stead, managing it when he is not there.

A suggestion, to incorporate the Buddhist nun part as well, is that she joined a local temple for just a few years before being convinced by someone to join the ranks, and then worked her way up to being one of the head samurai. She can still be a devoutly religious widow, but also be a samurai in you use something along those lines.

Vader- Alright, I shall have more for you to put in the first post by the time you return, then.

Much better, thank you for listening and working with me. I also wanted to say I appreciate Tani- a woman that has lost nearly everything, yet fights on is rather inspiring. I look forward to the IC with her.

Your welcome. Thanks for your input. I'm sure Tani can come up with a surprise here and there - to keep things spicy and interesting. Enjoy the weekend!

Good point, Kage! I'll cut some off her list.

Gorgoniy- I am sure we will all be looking for chances to mix things up, but I look forward to seeing what Tani can do.

Firejay- Much better, thank you.

Everyone- I have descriptions for the prefectures written up, but if anyone has something they would like to add/change, nearly everything is up for discussion. I would like to hear your input!

Seikki- Though the climate is cold and harsh, the dense forests and mineral-rich mountains of Seikki make this prefecture valuable. The people here live a rustic life in villages dotting the foothills and coniferous forest.

Hamatsu- Though the weather can be unpredictable and cold as in Seikki, the lands here provide good farming for hardy grains and long-ripening vegetables. The people here are peaceful, simple farmers.

Tsugureru- Filling the ocean void between Seikki and Kaze-Tousho, the peninsula is much like the other northern territories, though it lacks any major exports. The brave people living here rely on a hunter-gatherer lifestyle.

Kaze-Tousho- Surrounded by the unforgiving northern sea and constantly buffeted by bitter winds, these barren stone islands are uninhabitable. However, there are long-standing rumors of both terrible creatures and sea-fairing bandits living there.

Tetsu-Tousho- One of the wealthiest prefectures, Tetsu-tousho produces the highest quality iron and steel in all of Akuo. The greatest weapons of the nation have come from these islands. However, this prefecture has frequent issues with bands of criminals and general unrest.

Orochi- Rich, varied forest and long coastlines offer many resources, namely herbs, fish and bamboo.

Hoseki- Fertile farmland allows for this prefecture to be a prominent producer of silk and dyes, making it quite wealthy. Many wealthy merchants and artisans live here.

Sofu- As the birthplace of the first shogun, Sofu is regarded as one of the most important prefectures of Akuo. Its low mountain ridges and fertile plains make it ideal for both crops and animals.

Kuzo- Kuzo split from Sofu two decades ago when the lands were granted to a relative of the Shogun. The dense, clay-heavy soil found here is perfect for creating fine clayware. New citizens arrive every year, eager to start a new life in the young prefecture.

Okamimori- Many stories surround the dense, eerily dark forests that cover this prefecture.

Shinzo- Though built almost entirely over mountainous terrain, Shinzo lays claim to being the seat of the shogunate. The lofty peaks and cliffs are considered places of enlightenment, with many traveling to them for spiritual inspiration. The mountains here are also rife with gems and precious metals.

Kogane no Urabe- Though small, this prefecture is known for the jewelry made here from the pearls and abalone found all along the bay. The people here are proud artisans and fishermen.

Tsuyoiha- Though the iron comes from Tetsu-tousho, the unique weapons and armour from Tsuyoiha are said to rival those made on the islands.

Senotakaishima- Solitary and odd in culture, this island is not known for much other than its strange customs. The Daimyo of this prefecture is rarely ever seen.

Kumoshima- Numerous famous artists have come from this prefecture, which is considered to be either cursed or blessed by Joro-Gumo, the spider-woman of lore. People from all over the country travel to the island, seeking artistic inspiration.

Senmei-Tochi- Picturesque and pristine. Many sacred sites dot the region, including the most important Buddhist and Shinto temples. The Daimyo here encourages spiritual devotion.

Hidoyama- Though it holds riches in its stones, Hidoyama is known for its frequent rock falls and hazardous cliffs. It is said that either a dragon or a demon sleeps in the mountain. The people here rely on the grand bamboo forests for their prosperity and fortune.

Tsuno- Constant battles with Yoihara has left this small prefecture with few resources. The people here are impoverished as their Daimyo struggles on.

Yoihara- Though many crops are grown in the mild meadows here, Yoihara is the dominant producer of hemp and the textiles made with the plant. The people here are generally peaceful, but the Daimyo is rather aggressive, having wanted to take the Tsuno prefecture into Yoihara for decades. Skirmishes between the two happen frequently.

Toujou- Broad coastlines and gentle waves, along with the natural coves make Toujou ideal for the shipping and fishing industries. There are also regions within the prefecture that produce the highly desired clay needed for the creation of porcelain. The people here are well-versed in the on-goings of the rest of the nation, having contact with sailors from all over the continent.

Ryuu-Tousho- Though they look lush and inviting, these sub-tropical islands harbor danger at every turn; from monsoons to venomous snakes. Despite the hazards, the islands produce exotic goods such as fruits, sugars and fragrant woods. The Kiyomizu bloodline has almost always ruled over Ryuu-tousho, as no one has been brave enough to challenge them, nor seen its value. The people are under strict rule and though many are unhappy, no one dares challenge the law due to fear of their cruel Daimyo.

Kage is officially in charge of looking over CS sheets >.>

Me and Kage are currently working on an Intro post and this RP shall start very soon.

That means everyone's profiles are accepted! Thank you again for working with me on your characters.

Reactions: Gorgoniy
Which of course is very, very awesome! I sure hope it's very soon...very soon. :)

Hai, hopefully soon, though things may possibly be delayed a bit. I just got back from the ER, where I was diagnosed with strep. I will try to be on as much as I can, but there is no telling how much this is going to wear me out. My fingers are crossed that things get better quickly.

Hope you feel better soon, Kage! Concentrate on healing up and don't worry about us. :)

Reactions: Gorgoniy
Arigatou gozaimasu, but the medications are already starting to help, so hopefully I will not be down for long. Revan and I are still writing out the intro, so I do not think my illness will delay things long.

Reactions: firejay1
Just letting everyone know that we are getting close to finishing the intro and getting things up and running. Revan has been a bit busy again, so it is taking just a tad longer than expected. I hope everyone is still with us!

I'm interested in this, but I'm not gonna be able to get a CS up, tonight. Save me a spot until I can?

Apologies, but as far as I know, we are no longer accepting players. Revan has not put it into the title yet though, so I am not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.