Self-Knowledge Questionnaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I dunno about that. Yeah, I know I just went through the whole thread and picked a bunch of people's answers and said "Me!! me me me me", but there were still quite a few descriptions that I either felt lukewarm about (like, they sort of applied to me, but they didn't strongly resonate with me so I didn't have any sort of "oh that is so me" reaction), or that I definitely did not identify with, to the point where they felt like the opposite of me. o_o
I'm not sure if a Joke or if serious...

I'ma take it serious anyways! ^^

Not every answer NEEDS to accommodate to you in exact, but as you already proven, many of the answers were so broad in explanations that they still even applied to you. Heck some of your previous statements in this same post had "Mememe" in it and "that is SO ME!" While there will be some answers that may not appeal to you as some others would, and others might not appeal to you at all the test has it's answers designed to be so broad that it'd apply to the majority of everyone by targeting traits most people have and then says "You SOOOOOO.... have this trait! Only people like you have it too! aren't you special?" when in truth, the answers were designed to do this with everyone.

As I said, unless the personality trait is completely opposite to you and you know this, there is still a very likely chance that it'd be so broad that it'd apply to the majority of the people overall, no matter what and that chances are, there will be many traits that'd still 100% or at least partially apply to you other than the three you got.

This is pretty much a magic trick of sorts and is a very well used tactic that is put forth in tests like these. This tactic is called the Forer effect.

The Barnum effect, also called the Forer effect, is the observation that individuals will give high accuracy ratings to descriptions of their personality that supposedly are tailored specifically for them but are, in fact, vague and general enough to apply to a wide range of people.

Here is a wiki with more information of this tactic.

Now, this doesn't mean tests like this are any less fun. In fact I think it makes them MORE fun because when you know what effect they are using on you, you can try and spot it easier and then read ALL the possible answers that you would be given, and when you do that you can spot and find the things that you know are a part of your character out of each answer and maybe even spot something you didn't even know of yourself from them as well.

Whoa. We both decided to go all science on this shit.

5T3BlOs.gif

Basically, in the future, when doing these tests and the like, just look for stuff that's so generic that it could easily represent a solid half of the population's values. Like "you appreciate humour" or "you occasionally tell a joke" or "once in a while you find yourself struggling with doubt." Stuff so generic it can apply to anyone and be quoted from a hundred different movies.
I meeeaaan. I knew the questions were generic and didn't mean much. I just disagreed that they were broad enough that "everyone could relate to them", because I definitely related to some more than others. And there were a few that I thought didn't really describe me at all.

Bear in mind, some of the entries that I didn't really agree with were the ones that the test gave me. So... I certainly wasn't trying to say that this test knew me or anything.

You're probably right that they're intended to be fairly broad like that, I just didn't think that they were quite broad enough that I related to every single one of them. *shrug*

I'm not sure if a Joke or if serious...

Not every answer NEEDS to accommodate to you in exact, but as you already proven, many of the answers were so broad in explanations that they still even applied to you. Heck some of your previous statements in this same post had "Mememe" in it and "that is SO ME!" While there will be some answers that may not appeal to you as some others would, and others might not appeal to you at all the test has it's answers designed to be so broad that it'd apply to the majority of everyone by targeting traits most people have and then says "You SOOOOOO.... have this trait! Only people like you have it too! aren't you special?" when in truth, the answers were designed to do this with everyone.

As I said, unless the personality trait is completely opposite to you and you know this, there is still a very likely chance that it'd be so broad that it'd apply to the majority of the people overall, no matter what and that chances are, there will be many traits that'd still 100% or at least partially apply to you other than the three you got.

This is pretty much a magic trick of sorts and is a very well used tactic that is put forth in tests like these. This tactic is called the Forer effect.

Here is a wiki with more information of this tactic.

Now, this doesn't mean tests like this are any less fun. In fact I think it makes them MORE fun because when you know what effect they are using on you, you can try and spot it easier and then read ALL the possible answers that you would be given, and when you do that you can spot and find the things that you know are a part of your character out of each answer and maybe even spot something you didn't even know of yourself from them as well.
I... was being serious. I just honestly didn't relate to every possible answer.

I do understand that these are supposed to be fairly vague and all that. And I certainly wasn't under the impression that even an accurate response from the test should be read as "wow, this is a totally unique trait that only I have!!" when I know that lots of other people will get that same answer. Like, yes, they're supposed to be vague so that a test like this can attempt to place you into a vague box that lots of other people will fit into. I realize that's all it is. I just didn't think that each box was vague enough that every person can perfectly relate to every answer, because... I didn't. Again, though, that really doesn't make the test any more credible -- especially since one of the "this is so not me" personality traits was one that the test gave me.

Sorry for sounding like I was unaware of these kinds of tricks, or for sounding like I thought the test was legit in any way. Because that's certainly not what I meant to convey. o_o""

I meeeaaan. I knew the questions were generic and didn't mean much. I just disagreed that they were broad enough that "everyone could relate to them", because I definitely related to some more than others. And there were a few that I thought didn't really describe me at all.

Bear in mind, some of the entries that I didn't really agree with were the ones that the test gave me. So... I certainly wasn't trying to say that this test knew me or anything.

You're probably right that they're intended to be fairly broad like that, I just didn't think that they were quite broad enough that I related to every single one of them. *shrug*

Well, with that I can only say... Should've clarified a bit better. It seemed as though you were trying to state that it wasn't being broad enough at all to be capable in doing such, which is indeed wrong. Though that is your opinion and yours to have so it is fair.

At the same time though, I think it is also fair to say that the exception to the majority ruling does not necessarily mean that the said ruling wasn't being applied at all. As I stated, a large sum of the traits did apply to you, even a little bit and while some didn't apply to you at all, the majority did to an extent. As such we can deduce that this test was still using the method and while it did fail for some, it would succeed for many others.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Well, with that I can only say... Should've clarified a bit better. It seemed as though you were trying to state that it wasn't being broad enough at all to be capable in doing such, which is indeed wrong. Though that is your opinion and yours to have so it is fair.

At the same time though, I think it is also fair to say that the exception to the majority ruling does not necessarily mean that the said ruling wasn't being applied at all. As I stated, a large sum of the traits did apply to you, even a little bit and while some didn't apply to you at all, the majority did to an extent. As such we can deduce that this test was still using the method and while it did fail for some, it would succeed for many others.
Yeah, I agree that the test is definitely trying to be vague in order to do that sort of thing. It just wasn't vague enough to make me personally relate to every single answer. ...That is all.

All this talk about personality tests not actually knowing anything about the person taking the test reminds me of that time that Ringo Starr took a "which Beatle are you" personality test, and the test said that he was John Lennon.

Just a fun little bit of trivia to lighten up the thread a bit.

I... was being serious. I just honestly didn't relate to every possible answer.

I do understand that these are supposed to be fairly vague and all that. And I certainly wasn't under the impression that even an accurate response from the test should be read as "wow, this is a totally unique trait that only I have!!" when I know that lots of other people will get that same answer. Like, yes, they're supposed to be vague so that a test like this can attempt to place you into a vague box that lots of other people will fit into. I realize that's all it is. I just didn't think that each box was vague enough that every person can perfectly relate to every answer, because... I didn't. Again, though, that really doesn't make the test any more credible -- especially since one of the "this is so not me" personality traits was one that the test gave me.

Sorry for sounding like I was unaware of these kinds of tricks, or for sounding like I thought the test was legit in any way. Because that's certainly not what I meant to convey. o_o""

It's all good, my main issue was that is sounded as though you were trying to make the claim that the test wasn't using these methods at all and instead were rather accurate in their answers as a whole in that it's not broad enough to apply to all sorts of different people or that they would be so broad at to apply for almost everyone (with a few exceptions). I'm not going to say every person can perfectly relate to them, though that a very, very large sum of people can relate to the majority of the answers to some extent.

It's all good, I think it was just a misunderstanding overall. Your initial post was rather vague in your overall thoughts, and I didn't think you thought the test was legit, only that you were trying to claim it wasn't trying to use the Forer Effect at all.

*hugs* All is well. ^^

RESILIENCE

You have a tendency, after a setback, to turn your emotions towards restriving. What attracts you is the idea of wiping out a humiliation by resumed action – overcoming weakness, repressing your fear. Because part of your motive is pride, you can sometimes be unwilling to admit weakness or to receive aid. But at heart, tour insistence on coming back and never folding has taught you a valuable pessimism: you know that important journeys are never easy.

SENSITIVITY

You have delicate, sensitive perceptions; you can be deeply moved by appearances – the right light in a room, or good food, or the texture of a piece of clothing. Expressive, intelligent language has a powerful hold on you; your mind works better when it is inspired and provoked by vivid imagery. It can be sad to live in a world which is often so ugly and not properly looked after. But you know that things can be otherwise, and you have the ability to appreciate the world at its best.

SHYNESS

Part of you is gripped by the fear that you'll launch into something and completely mess it up. The upside of this is wise caution: people are indeed often too rash, whereas you know, by instinct, that holding back can save you. Probably, you feel shame and self-disgust a bit too much. But when you do feel in your element, you act with a wisdom and sensitivity never found in people with thicker skins.

Reactions: Hana
sleight of hand
Forer effect.
This is the kind of thing I've tried explaining to my family whenever they start doing stuff like plan Family trips to the Psychic (which I always stay home for) or claim they know a good or accurate Psychic.

Like I get it can be fun and games, but is it really something people should be throwing away money at like that? :/

---------------------------

It also just dawned on me that I showed a bit of a lack in judgement with one of my responses to the quiz results.
Neediness: This seems to be more true at my younger/teen self than it is towards current me. And even during younger me, it was only that much of a factor in regards to romantic relationships.
This is technically true. But I also forgot to factor in that I haven't been in a relationship since my teen years. :P
So it's a decent chance than since the "Needy" part of me was only present during such a situation that it never truly left. It just remained dormant given circumstances and environment.

Taking a look at what some other people got, I'm seeing a lot of other answers that I think would be more fitting for me. o_o"

This is me 100%. O_O"

This also sounds very much like me -- although I wouldn't have thought to call it "loyalty". I just thought I was extremely forgiving, always assuming that everyone has the power to change to be a better person rather than holding onto grudges about whatever someone did in the past. Regardless, the "giving people a second and third chance" thing is really spot-on for me.

I wouldn't have thought of this one if I was just trying to list traits about myself without looking at a bunch of pre-written descriptions like this, but, reading this now, this also sounds a lot like me. o_o" Buuut it's a part of me that I've often tried to suppress, since I often worried I was trying too hard to look cool and interesting when I'm really not and that I would come across as just being desperate for attention... owo"""

I really want to see the full list of traits, assuming I haven't already seen all of them just by looking at other people's answers.
Henry-chan can help you with all of these traits, Kaga!

If only you'd notice kouhai!

#stillshippingit

To a degree, mostly everyone has the traits that have been mentioned, just some traits are more than others. For example, I consider myself an extremely loyal person, to the point of stupidity at times. But that may just stem from being both needy and shy.

Or not.

I mostly take all this stuff as a just for fun thing really. >.> I like answering polls and quizzes. :bsmile:

Not bad. This was creepily accurate.

REVERENCE
One part of you dreams of giving yourself up – perhaps just for a while – to a hero or mentor. In the right circumstances you can flourish by letting go of your ego. In your inner life, reverence plays out as a willing submission to your own conscience. In the outside world, you might get frustrated searching for something worth believing in – a country, a person, a company – but you will always be open to feeling respect, admiration and wonder.

SHYNESS
Part of you is gripped by the fear that you'll launch into something and completely mess it up. The upside of this is wise caution: people are indeed often too rash, whereas you know, by instinct, that holding back can save you. Probably, you feel shame and self-disgust a bit too much. But when you do feel in your element, you act with a wisdom and sensitivity never found in people with thicker skins.

SENSITIVITY
You have delicate, sensitive perceptions; you can be deeply moved by appearances – the right light in a room, or good food, or the texture of a piece of clothing. Expressive, intelligent language has a powerful hold on you; your mind works better when it is inspired and provoked by vivid imagery. It can be sad to live in a world which is often so ugly and not properly looked after. But you know that things can be otherwise, and you have the ability to appreciate the world at its best.

RATIONALITY

You like clarity and intelligent simplicity and you get frustrated at messy thinking. This can make you seem unreasonably pushy to some, but it is actually a virtue: you are motivated by a horror at pointless effort and a longing for precision and insight into how things and people work. Your ability to synthesise and bring order is essential in producing thinking which is truly helpful.

REVERENCE

One part of you dreams of giving yourself up – perhaps just for a while – to a hero or mentor. In the right circumstances you can flourish by letting go of your ego. In your inner life, reverence plays out as a willing submission to your own conscience. In the outside world, you might get frustrated searching for something worth believing in – a country, a person, a company – but you will always be open to feeling respect, admiration and wonder.

RESILIENCE

You have a tendency, after a setback, to turn your emotions towards restriving. What attracts you is the idea of wiping out a humiliation by resumed action – overcoming weakness, repressing your fear. Because part of your motive is pride, you can sometimes be unwilling to admit weakness or to receive aid. But at heart, tour insistence on coming back and never folding has taught you a valuable pessimism: you know that important journeys are never easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.