Self-Knowledge Questionnaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was pretty interesting. Pretty accurate from what I can tell, too. I think my rationality beat out my neediness in this questionnaire, though.

Rationality

You like clarity and intelligent simplicity and you get frustrated at messy thinking. This can make you seem unreasonably pushy to some, but it is actually a virtue: you are motivated by a horror at pointless effort and a longing for precision and insight into how things and people work. Your ability to synthesise and bring order is essential in producing thinking which is truly helpful.
Shyness

Part of you is gripped by the fear that you’ll launch into something and completely mess it up. The upside of this is wise caution: people are indeed often too rash, whereas you know, by instinct, that holding back can save you. Probably, you feel shame and self-disgust a bit too much. But when you do feel in your element, you act with a wisdom and sensitivity never found in people with thicker skins.
Sensitivity

You have delicate, sensitive perceptions; you can be deeply moved by appearances – the right light in a room, or good food, or the texture of a piece of clothing. Expressive, intelligent language has a powerful hold on you; your mind works better when it is inspired and provoked by vivid imagery. It can be sad to live in a world which is often so ugly and not properly looked after. But you know that things can be otherwise, and you have the ability to appreciate the world at its best.

Reactions: Hana
Reactions: Icystorm
@Greenie we got the same result. :P

NEEDINESS

Being affirmed and nurtured by others is a central requirement for you to feel safe. This means you can be slow to warm up to other people, which is difficult because what you most need from them is their warmth. Yet you know how to be vulnerable: to let down your defences and accept that you need another person. This lack of pretence is a valuable trait, and ultimately more endearing than the macho efforts others make to deny their childlike sides.

INDEPENDENCE

You don’t set out to be different for its own sake; you are more easily guided by what interests and moves you. You are more concerned about what is right for you than about the pressure to fit in. In sex you are more aware than others of impulses which are not entirely conventional. You know the value of selective irresponsibility, of forgetting occasionally about being ‘good’.

SHYNESS

Part of you is gripped by the fear that you’ll launch into something and completely mess it up. The upside of this is wise caution: people are indeed often too rash, whereas you know, by instinct, that holding back can save you. Probably, you feel shame and self-disgust a bit too much. But when you do feel in your element, you act with a wisdom and sensitivity never found in people with thicker skins.

Though honestly reading through the others answers, they all seem to written in a way that they could apply to anyone (that, or everyone reads them in a manner that allows everyone to identify with them).

However, I feel like gauging the accuracy of the three I got anyways, cause it's fun. :P

Neediness: This seems to be more true at my younger/teen self than it is towards current me. And even during younger me, it was only that much of a factor in regards to romantic relationships.

Independence: Yea, I'd say this is pretty spot on. I've never been able to find a group or environment I could simply 'blend into' and be part of the crowd. The voice in my head that goes "This doesn't feel right, this isn't ME!" is too strong, which always causes me to have some attributes that differentiate me from the rest. Majority of the time it leads to people being either hostile or simply keeping a distance from the "Outsider", which if one actually looks at human nature (and evolutionary history) isn't surprising at all. People love to claim they support independence... but that only holds true if said 'independence' caters to being a certain kind of person they desire to associate with.

Shyness: This is also relatively true. On the Internet I tend to put on a big Bravado, but if you actually PM me personally, or talk to me face to face I'm a much more reserved individual (unless if I'm in a trolling mood. Then I might do some silly stuff like spam poutines in the chatroom). And I do tend to overanalyze things to where I pick out every potential flaw a plan or approach can have, which often tends to annoy the "All Positivity" or "Go-Getter" types of people.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Hana and Greenie
This personality test is accurate, save for a minor discrepancy that doesn't necessarily relate to me as much anymore.

SHYNESS

AGGRESSION

One part of your character is anger in all its forms: frustration, outrage – and when anger is suppressed – bitterness, grumpiness, and bodily aches. Fundamentally, frustration comes from hope: you get upset because you expect your life will be more than a valley of tears. One way to deny aggression is to direct it inwards, as self-criticism. But you’re at your best when you acknowledge anger, and act it out clearly and in a focussed way, with honour.

SENSITIVITY
You have delicate, sensitive perceptions; you can be deeply moved by appearances – the right light in a room, or good food, or the texture of a piece of clothing. Expressive, intelligent language has a powerful hold on you; your mind works better when it is inspired and provoked by vivid imagery. It can be sad to live in a world which is often so ugly and not properly looked after. But you know that things can be otherwise, and you have the ability to appreciate the world at its best.

Last edited:

I almost feel like the odd one here with two traits no one has yet, Ambition and Authority. Damn, I should become a manager or something given these traits.

AMBITION

You have a strong sense of potential and an intense drive to accomplish difficult things. The core of this is your ability to hold together the big goals and the daily efforts. Where other people’s hopes collapse when they encounter the tedium of the journey, you keep coming back. Oddly, it is actually your ability to endure feeling unheroic that counts. You know the power of working away solidly on what’s in front of you.

AUTHORITY

You are good at making decisions; you have a clear sense of what needs to be done and what others should be doing. Played out inside yourself, this tendency drives you to value willpower and self-control. You may be accused of bossiness. But acting on your desire to dissuade, restrain or guide is often appreciated by others – who might secretly like a clear direction, and some firmness.
PLAYFULNESS

You are good at seeing what’s funny, at relaxing and finding the pleasure of the moment. Play is random, whimsical, fantasy-driven behaviour which releases internal tension. Because it is detached from some pressures it allows you to act on weirder, perhaps neglected, parts of yourself. The downside is that it is no help in sticking with things that are not much fun but which need to be addressed. So it is well complemented by its opposite, Stoicism.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Hana and junebug
So the test didnt produce accurate results for me, but that's not what I'm most interested in.

I don't know if any of you have looked at the rest of the site, but it's weird. They're utopian capitalists and their articles make it sound like they're engaging in 19th century discourse.

Seriously, I'd link a specific article but they're all so bizarre. It's hard to choose.

Just skim the article titles. They're a treat.

Rationality

Aggression

Orderliness

Tenderness - You are not afraid of the sufferings and sorrows of other people, even when they are acted out in unappealing ways. Beneath even defensiveness and self-righteous behaviour, you know that deep down people need nurturing and consolation. One danger is being naive about people’s dark sides. But at your best you know you can be mean yourself, which helps you to sympathise. You bring strength and forgiveness where other people might panic.

Reverence - One part of you dreams of giving yourself up – perhaps just for a while – to a hero or mentor. In the right circumstances you can flourish by letting go of your ego. In your inner life, reverence plays out as a willing submission to your own conscience. In the outside world, you might get frustrated searching for something worth believing in – a country, a person, a company – but you will always be open to feeling respect, admiration and wonder.

Resilience - You have a tendency, after a setback, to turn your emotions towards restriving. What attracts you is the idea of wiping out a humiliation by resumed action – overcoming weakness, repressing your fear. Because part of your motive is pride, you can sometimes be unwilling to admit weakness or to receive aid. But at heart, tour insistence on coming back and never folding has taught you a valuable pessimism: you know that important journeys are never easy.

I find it curious that I was the first to get tenderness.

@Brovo

I find it curious that I was the first to get tenderness.
Curious, but unsurprising. I told you that you were unique.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
[spoili]

AMBITION
You have a strong sense of potential and an intense drive to accomplish difficult things. The core of this is your ability to hold together the big goals and the daily efforts. Where other people’s hopes collapse when they encounter the tedium of the journey, you keep coming back. Oddly, it is actually your ability to endure feeling unheroic that counts. You know the power of working away solidly on what’s in front of you.
SHYNESS

ORDERLINESS

You love it when everything is neat and tidy: when there is a proper way of doing things, and you can tick things off the to-do list and know where everything is. So others, at times, are to you unbearably sloppy and messy. And you run into things that can’t be ordered (a child, a partner, a colleague at work) which drives you slightly nuts. But your desire for order is a good one when it is focussed where it is needed and when you’re okay with a bit of mess.[/spoili]

I got ambition, shyness and orderliness... Pretty accurate!

NEEDINESS

Being affirmed and nurtured by others is a central requirement for you to feel safe. This means you can be slow to warm up to other people, which is difficult because what you most need from them is their warmth. Yet you know how to be vulnerable: to let down your defences and accept that you need another person. This lack of pretence is a valuable trait, and ultimately more endearing than the macho efforts others make to deny their childlike sides.

RATIONALITY

You like clarity and intelligent simplicity and you get frustrated at messy thinking. This can make you seem unreasonably pushy to some, but it is actually a virtue: you are motivated by a horror at pointless effort and a longing for precision and insight into how things and people work. Your ability to synthesise and bring order is essential in producing thinking which is truly helpful.

AGGRESSION

One part of your character is anger in all its forms: frustration, outrage – and when anger is suppressed – bitterness, grumpiness, and bodily aches. Fundamentally, frustration comes from hope: you get upset because you expect your life will be more than a valley of tears. One way to deny aggression is to direct it inwards, as self-criticism. But you’re at your best when you acknowledge anger, and act it out clearly and in a focussed way, with honour.

Ok then.

Neediness, Independence, Shyness

yeah sounds about right, though I do find it pretty funny that I got both neediness and independence

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
ORDERLINESS
You love it when everything is neat and tidy: when there is a proper way of doing things, and you can tick things off the to-do list and know where everything is. So others, at times, are to you unbearably sloppy and messy. And you run into things that can’t be ordered (a child, a partner, a colleague at work) which drives you slightly nuts. But your desire for order is a good one when it is focussed where it is needed and when you’re okay with a bit of mess.
PLAYFULNESS
You are good at seeing what’s funny, at relaxing and finding the pleasure of the moment. Play is random, whimsical, fantasy-driven behaviour which releases internal tension. Because it is detached from some pressures it allows you to act on weirder, perhaps neglected, parts of yourself. The downside is that it is no help in sticking with things that are not much fun but which need to be addressed. So it is well complemented by its opposite, Stoicism.
RESILIENCE
You have a tendency, after a setback, to turn your emotions towards restriving. What attracts you is the idea of wiping out a humiliation by resumed action – overcoming weakness, repressing your fear. Because part of your motive is pride, you can sometimes be unwilling to admit weakness or to receive aid. But at heart, tour insistence on coming back and never folding has taught you a valuable pessimism: you know that important journeys are never easy.
Orderliness: I can see to a small extent...
Playfulness: This is one that I can agree with.
Resilience: Sure I guess.

Looking at the other personalities though I can see literally a bit of myself in almost all of them so it seems as though they're designed to be correct no matter what you get, unless your personality is completely against it. Even then I think there would still be a small something in there that'd define your personality.

Nothing like the Forer effect in practice.

RATIONALITY

:/ This one doesn't sound like me at all... I am a messy thinker, and I like to think that I'm rather forgiving when other people aren't super precise like this. And... in general, I find people who are like this -- or, rather, this attitude of thinking in general -- to just be kind of... intimidating. >~<""

SHYNESS

Noooow we're getting somewhere. :D Seriously though, this is completely spot-on. o_o"

ORDERLINESS

You love it when everything is neat and tidy: when there is a proper way of doing things, and you can tick things off the to-do list and know where everything is. So others, at times, are to you unbearably sloppy and messy. And you run into things that can’t be ordered (a child, a partner, a colleague at work) which drives you slightly nuts. But your desire for order is a good one when it is focussed where it is needed and when you’re okay with a bit of mess.

Eh, sort of. I'm not exactly the neat freak that this kind of description paints a picture of, but, I do like having a system to things and feeling in-control of my life, even if I struggle with that, myself. o_o" And, yeah, I can definitely think of people I know who match that "unbearably sloppy and messy" description... >.>

Taking a look at what some other people got, I'm seeing a lot of other answers that I think would be more fitting for me. o_o"

NEEDINESS
This is me 100%. O_O"

LOYALTY

You are good at sticking with people, even when things get awkward and tricky. You give people a second and third chance, because fundamentally, you are good at recognising people’s good sides (even when there’s quite a lot about them that is not so attractive). Partisanship is actually your strength: you stay on someone’s side for more than intellectual reasons – because they feel like a part of who you are.
This also sounds very much like me -- although I wouldn't have thought to call it "loyalty". I just thought I was extremely forgiving, always assuming that everyone has the power to change to be a better person rather than holding onto grudges about whatever someone did in the past. Regardless, the "giving people a second and third chance" thing is really spot-on for me.

Exhibitionism

There’s a strand in your nature which loves making an impression – perhaps with your clothes, or conversation, or in a self-revealing blog or a novel. You like to dramatise yourself, to pose as a unique, perhaps mysterious person, to joke or exaggerate your part in adventures. Though you might more than once have been called a show off, it is actually a generous tendency: you want to please and entertain others. It could be the start of good teaching and leadership.
I wouldn't have thought of this one if I was just trying to list traits about myself without looking at a bunch of pre-written descriptions like this, but, reading this now, this also sounds a lot like me. o_o" Buuut it's a part of me that I've often tried to suppress, since I often worried I was trying too hard to look cool and interesting when I'm really not and that I would come across as just being desperate for attention... owo"""

I really want to see the full list of traits, assuming I haven't already seen all of them just by looking at other people's answers.

Reactions: Legens Legentis
AMBITION

AUTHORITY

You are good at making decisions; you have a clear sense of what needs to be done and what others should be doing. Played out inside yourself, this tendency drives you to value willpower and self-control. You may be accused of bossiness. But acting on your desire to dissuade, restrain or guide is often appreciated by others – who might secretly like a clear direction, and some firmness.
Both of these also sound quite a bit like me.

Tenderness - You are not afraid of the sufferings and sorrows of other people, even when they are acted out in unappealing ways. Beneath even defensiveness and self-righteous behaviour, you know that deep down people need nurturing and consolation. One danger is being naive about people’s dark sides. But at your best you know you can be mean yourself, which helps you to sympathise. You bring strength and forgiveness where other people might panic.
Ohhhh this is me. This is definitely me. o_o

Though honestly reading through the others answers, they all seem to written in a way that they could apply to anyone (that, or everyone reads them in a manner that allows everyone to identify with them).
Looking at the other personalities though I can see literally a bit of myself in almost all of them so it seems as though they're designed to be correct no matter what you get, unless your personality is completely against it. Even then I think there would still be a small something in there that'd define your personality.
Eh, I dunno about that. Yeah, I know I just went through the whole thread and picked a bunch of people's answers and said "Me!! me me me me", but there were still quite a few descriptions that I either felt lukewarm about (like, they sort of applied to me, but they didn't strongly resonate with me so I didn't have any sort of "oh that is so me" reaction), or that I definitely did not identify with, to the point where they felt like the opposite of me. o_o

I think other traits can more or less still fit us, it doesn't say that only the three traits listed as our results are our only traits. They're simply the more predominant ones. For example @Sen would probably say I don't really fit the 'Reverence' trait and I'd be more or less falling under the Tenderness trait, but I also think I would have fit Rationality as well.

I'm usually the rational one in this relationship, so I would know. : |

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Brovo and Greenie
Well, I mean. Being blunt, these are super broad. Like, on par to the total uselessness of astrology kind of broad. They're neat, amusing little pieces of candy: Don't think hard on them, just go "nifty" and move on with your life.

Here, for anyone interested, I'll reveal the sleight of hand used to make you feel as though they know far more about you than they really do.

I mean, let's take parts from the descriptions of each one. :ferret:

Rationality: "You like clarity and intelligent simplicity and you get frustrated at messy thinking."
Skeptical Point: Everyone likes clarity. Everyone likes to think that what they enjoy or whatever they find fascinating is intelligent and yet easily grasped, and everyone gets frustrated when they can't put their thoughts in order. The basic description of rationality is something most everyone can agree on is a good thing, it's how it's practiced that people disagree. Nobody is going to say "oh no I don't value being intelligent" but what "intelligence" really means, outside of an objective test score, is subjective. Put me in a math test and I'm dumb as a fucking rock, but put me in front of a literary analysis course and I will rip through it harder than the dagger which pierced Juliet's breast.

Shyness: "Part of you is gripped by the fear that you’ll launch into something and completely mess it up."
Skeptical Point: Again, literally everyone feels the fear of failure. Nobody wants to fail, everyone wants to succeed. Whether you put this in a social context or in a mechanical context or in a psychological context or otherwise, the fear of failure is part of human instinct. Hell, it's part of the lives of many animals. How many times have you seen videos on youtube of cats or dogs or ferrets being irrationally cautious about a mundane, easily solved problem, like swimming across a pool? Hell this point then goes on to say that "it makes you wise" which, again, everyone thinks they've accounted for everything until they fail because they didn't. That's why failure is, you know, a surprise.

Orderliness: "You love it when everything is neat and tidy: when there is a proper way of doing things, and you can tick things off the to-do list and know where everything is. So others, at times, are to you unbearably sloppy and messy. And you run into things that can’t be ordered (a child, a partner, a colleague at work) which drives you slightly nuts."
Skeptical Point: Again, duh, everyone loves when things are neat and tidy. Again, everyone's definition of neat and tidy differs, and a person who can appreciate it may not care enough to put effort to have it in their own lives. Everyone appreciates well organized store shelves, for instance. As for others being, "at times" unbearably sloppy and messy, that's also a normal thing. Like I think the majority of people would agree that this is horrifying. Then, on the point of being irritated when others refuse to do what they're told, that's... So painfully normal. It's not like parents are enjoying watching their children screaming in the middle of the grocery store because they were refused a jar of peanut butter and won't listen to reason. Some get more irritated than others, but I digress.

I could go on to do every single one of them, but I think I've made my point. Personality tests like these make broad, generic statements, aimed at a broad audience. It's a simple magician's trick, it's something we've had with us for ages. Like when magicians go "I sense someone in the audience has a name starting with the letter J, they were born in July, and they've had family die within the past ten years." You get enough people in your audience, and you can easily suss someone out and make them feel more unique than they really are.

The idea that people have particular personality traits that you can suss out by saying "how does this picture make you feel" is ridiculous. Because how a person feels, changes from day to day, and a person's values change over their lifetime, and given different contexts and situations. The truth is, we're too complicated for a 15 minute long test to determine our most prominent personality traits, so the personality trait descriptions are made extremely generic and vague ideals that... Pretty well everyone could agree they do like. :ferret:

"But what is the point of these sleights of hand? Why would they be deceptive?"

In the best case: It's because they want to entertain you and give you something to talk about with your friends. Like "I scored highly in rationality, see? I totally value intelligence!" Don't think too hard on it, 'ave a laugh and move on, because if you do...
In the worst case: They want to hook you in to make you feel as though they know more about your life and its flaws that they really do. That way, they can, say, offer seminars or courses. Courses which cost money. Ah, gee, I dunno if these people do tha--

HZnT3AA.jpg

Oh. Oh they do.

dxIt6Qc.jpg

BOY OH BOY DO THEY DO.

That being said, is it evil for them to do this? Not really. It's fairly harmless so long as they don't hook in the especially insecure types of people who should probably see a therapist instead of them.

It is, however, a standard, basic bitch, 101 Capitalism sleight of hand: Always make potential customers feel like you know them far more than you do.

Basically, in the future, when doing these tests and the like, just look for stuff that's so generic that it could easily represent a solid half of the population's values. Like "you appreciate humour" or "you occasionally tell a joke" or "once in a while you find yourself struggling with doubt." Stuff so generic it can apply to anyone and be quoted from a hundred different movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.