Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Multiple posts per day
  3. 1-3 posts per day
  4. One post per day
  5. 1-3 posts per week
  6. One post per week
Online Availability
Currently throughout the day to late at night... Haven't got any work at the moment.
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Advanced
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Fandom, Original Plots, Romance, Historical, Modern, Hero Based and Drama
tenor.gif
original.gif
Throughout the last twelve months, the world has been struck with some trying circumstances. Some that have affected people and their ability to do things. From the global pandemic to the general everyday life hardships. Stress and other troubling situations tend to make it hard for us all. This tends to hit particularly hard. When we as people, forget to take care of ourselves.

So, the purpose of this thread is to share and dedicate time to methods of self-care. Things that have helped might help others. Practised to ensure stability or break away from the pile-up of everything.

What is Self-Care?
Self-care is the care of your present and future health. This is a method of paying attention to yourself and being honest about what makes you the healthiest version of yourself. It buys into what makes you happiest and why? This is an active form of health management, presentation and maintaining yourself for the future. By focusing on the present and who you are as a person.

Why is it important?
Self-care encourages a healthy relationship with yourself, so you in turn can transmit good feelings for others. If you don't take care of yourself, you cannot give the same to others.

Neglecting personal care may also increase various physical and mental ailments. As well, increase the instances of fatigue, anger and anxiety.

Last edited:
Breathing Techniques
Some helpful mindfulness techniques in the area of breathing and grounding oneself are linked below. Not all of these work for everyone, but it never hurts to try!

Little Tips and Trick

If people have anything they'd want me to add in this section and don't feel comfortable in posting. I can link some more helpful tips and tricks. Please, feel free to inbox me links and articles that you thought would be great to add!

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Kuno and Diana
I've seen a lot of posts on socials suggesting that self care equals expensive trips to the spa or expensive bath bombs. I'm broke af right now, so spa care - after they reopened - and Lush are a little out of budget right now. These experiences are a great way to relax, recharge and get to reconnect to yourself... if you can afford them.

However, I offer you instead, Absinthe's patent-pending DIY spa evening. Featuring an multi-sensory aromatherapy soak, ice cold spa water, and a foot massage.

Multi-Sensory Aromatherapy Soak: AKA candles, some nice music on spotify, or a meditation session and a DIY bath bomb!
I've used the links below with varying levels of success, but they're well worth trying out! I do tend to scale back on essential oils and infuse ingredients with our own window box flowers, but whatever works for you!
These are cheap to make and also make great presents - just take care that if you want to use glitter, that you use biodegradable glitter! We don't need any more microplastics in our water :(

Spa Water: Any time I've taken a trip to a spa, there's usually this really healthy tasting water offered as a drink. Grab a cucumber - keep an eye out on the discount shelf - and either use a peeler to cut the whole thing up into ribbons, or chop it up into rounds and add to a jug. Add ice and tap water, and let sit for a little while. Bonus points if you can score other cheap fruit to add in with the cucumber!

Foot Massage: Well, you can massage any part of your body... with a tennis ball. You've probably heard of this trick already, but have you tried it? Planet Fitness has a guide here!

Again, these are a great way to get in touch with your body again after stressful times, identify any warning signs your body is trying to give you and to let go of the stress of yesterday and focus back on the here and now. If you notice problem areas - e.g a sore back or stiff neck - during these sessions, it's a good time to take incentive to find out why and fix it before the next 'crunch' or emergency. I started taking note of the relief I got in my back and shoulders from a good soak, and fixed my office chair to support a better posture. Now, no aching back, and I actually feel a lot less stressed as I don't have discomfort to deal with on top of pandemic worries!

So, roleplay is actually my self care. All of my feelings, traumas, anger, sadness, etc, I pour it into a character and I express them through my character's story. It gives me something constructive and creative to put my energy into and it's gotten me through most of my life. O: I actually found of recently over the past few months when I stopped just how much it carries me.

Outside of that I have had a lot of panic attacks lately, so I will try these breathing things you've shared. O_O

I am also trying whatever 10 minute bed yoga I can find on youtube. I don't have a lot of floorspace and it's so hard on my knees getting up and off the floor. But all my stress has been collecting in my neck and shoulders and down my back and I am having to find new ways to squeeze it all out. @_@

Roleplaying is also sort of a self care thing for me. It allows me to escape from reality especially during times like these where I am in pain and nothing else seems to help. It gives me an endless number of places to explore, things to do, and people to meet.

My animals are another. I'm sure most of you have heard about how petting a dog or cat lowers blood pressure, makes you less anxious, etc. One of my dogs is trained for mobility and emotional support work. My cats have formed such a deep bond that they consider me part of their colony. The cats have twelve distinct calls they will pointedly make loud to include me in on their "conversation" and come when called by name.

As far as physical health I use a lot of old school herbalism to get by. Modern medicine doesn't seem to work with my body chemistry. It's also really cool cause you can use the same ingredients to soak in a bath instead of drink in most cases 😂 And sometimes a nice hot bath with a $1 herb mix is just what is needed after a long day.

@Diana Might I suggest you look into getting a Warmie buddy? You can heat them up and lay them over the back of your neck and they smell soooo good. I have six of them x.x;

• Love
Reactions: Bubs
Self-Care for Me:
I tend to use role-playing as a form of self-care as well, it's a momentary release from being myself. Where I get to write something for another character imagined from my head. At times depending on my headspace, admittedly it's easier to write some characters more than others. When I'm hurting on the inside and I want to get it out, I'll channel it through my characters. What's going on for them and how they're doing in a situation.

Spending time with my pets is also a big one for me. I'm a proud cat mama of two. Recently, adopting our second from a rescue in May. They're my emotional rock at the best of times when I can't deal with people. Luna (about six-seven) was a stray my nana took in and she was handed over to me when my nana went into care. This year she died in later February, so Lun is one of the final pieces of her left. Sabrina is the second, I swear she's a dog in a cat's body. She plays fetch with me and gives the most loving cuddles. Very chirpy and forever wanting to play.

Physically/Socially when I need interaction with other people, I'll take myself on a drive. Often down to the local beach and just sit there. So, I don't have to be involved with people in a talking aspect. But I can be around them. Browsing my favourite bookshop is another thing I like to do. Just be in an environment of comfort.

Reading and listening to calmly music or sounds is something that really helps me out. Due to a processing disorder, I do need a set background of music or audio playing to keep me focused on my reading. Both help me a lot with going through what I've been wanting. Aromatherapy is a big tool I use when I'm feeling down and upset, even just anxious. The favourite mix is: Anxiety Ease, Breathe Easy or just straight Peppermint Oils.

@Diana Might I suggest you look into getting a Warmie buddy? You can heat them up and lay them over the back of your neck and they smell soooo good. I have six of them x.x;
I agree, I had a Warmie when I was a kid, these are brilliant.

This is a great thread idea. I can safely assume that it's been a bit of a rough year for everyone, and it's important that we take of our own bodies - mentally, emotionally, and of course physically - before we take care of anything or anyone else.

For me personally, exercise is a form of self-care. And no, I'm not gonna preach to anyone here to hit the gym (sharing public spaces with sweaty bodies? As if.) But it is good for you to work those limbs and your heart every now and then. Yoga is an incredibly great method to both work-out and release some stress and anxiety from your body. There is a great video that I particularly like here that is specifically aimed at stress and anxiety relief. I like to do this on Sunday mornings before I go back to work. It's only twenty minutes, although if you're busy/unable to continue, even 5 minutes is beneficial :^)

I also try to take a break a from social media every once in a while. This is something I recommend for everyone. It can be taxing to be so connected all the time. Try staying off Instagram, Discord, Facebook, etc etc, for maybe a day. I know for me it's very freeing to not worry about looking at my phone every five seconds in case someone messaged. I'm aware of how addicted I can get to scrolling through Pinterest all day, so it's nice to throw my phone off to the side and go for a jog or something...I might even read a few pages of a book if I'm feeling scandalous.

When I get really nice feedback on a paper I've written or a presentation that I've given, I screenshot it and save it in a special folder and when I think negative things and feel negative, it helps me a lot to go through my little screenshot library and know that some people think really nice things about me even when I'm having a rough time doing it.

• Love
Reactions: Diana and Bubs
Self care has not been one of my strong suits, and that's because the things I enjoy fall in and out of interest so easily for me. Also, I know what would relieve a lot of my stress, but cannot afford to do it. That is simply working less. I work every day of the week, and usually my days are off are full of chores, errands, or just really active activities (like D&D) that don't allow me to recharge.

I've been trying to find things lately that only take a moment of my day to relieve stress and I've found a few things so far. One of which you all have already mentioned.

Pets. I have two cats, and they have both caused such an improvement to my life. Every time I come home from working they are there to greet me by the door, and that's just really nice. The first thing I do is scoop up my orange tabby and just love on him. Instant dopamine.

Have a snack. I always feel better after eating a small snack. I try not to do this too often myself because this is definitely a slippery slope that can lead to unhealthy eating habits. I try to stick to a couple babybel cheeses or grapes when I need just a feel good moment.

Tea. Tea is always a great way to relax, and when you add a lot of honey it's probably pretty good for you too? I always feel really relaxed after a cup of tea. I try to default to tea or water these days.

Water. Lately I've been trying to drink up to 40 floz a day, and have noticed a difference in my mood and health. Less headaches! Trying to work my way up to 60floz.

Asmr. Honestly this is a big one for me. Whenever I can't sleep, am stressed, need to focus on something important, or what have you I listen to ASMR. I recently even found ASMR geared towards people with ADHD lately, and am in love! I've also taken a liking to listen to Ambiance as well.

This is a great thread idea. I can safely assume that it's been a bit of a rough year for everyone, and it's important that we take of our own bodies - mentally, emotionally, and of course physically - before we take care of anything or anyone else.

For me personally, exercise is a form of self-care. And no, I'm not gonna preach to anyone here to hit the gym (sharing public spaces with sweaty bodies? As if.) But it is good for you to work those limbs and your heart every now and then. Yoga is an incredibly great method to both work-out and release some stress and anxiety from your body. There is a great video that I particularly like here that is specifically aimed at stress and anxiety relief. I like to do this on Sunday mornings before I go back to work. It's only twenty minutes, although if you're busy/unable to continue, even 5 minutes is beneficial :^)

I also try to take a break a from social media every once in a while. This is something I recommend for everyone. It can be taxing to be so connected all the time. Try staying off Instagram, Discord, Facebook, etc etc, for maybe a day. I know for me it's very freeing to not worry about looking at my phone every five seconds in case someone messaged. I'm aware of how addicted I can get to scrolling through Pinterest all day, so it's nice to throw my phone off to the side and go for a jog or something...I might even read a few pages of a book if I'm feeling scandalous.
Hey, sorry for the lateness of this reply. Thank you so much for the addition of the yoga/stretches. Personally think I might add these into my daily routine. Been meaning to get back into mindfulness. Working on a healthy mind and lifestyle.

A social media detox is always good. Sometimes I find I need to take this in real life too. Stepping back from certain people or even just having a week for myself. Especially when overwhelmed. I feeling like this could seem mean, but it's normally something I do. When I'm super overwhelmed with people. In times likes these I find I really do need the chance to recharge mentally. While I was working, this was a daily thing from coming back home after a shift or the interchange between. Just enough for me to recharge and process everything that's going on for the day.

Thank you for sharing everything!!!

When I get really nice feedback on a paper I've written or a presentation that I've given, I screenshot it and save it in a special folder and when I think negative things and feel negative, it helps me a lot to go through my little screenshot library and know that some people think really nice things about me even when I'm having a rough time doing it.
Bless! This is such an emotional boost. Love this idea and the way it's looking at things and achievements you've done. That's a really well thought out idea. The awesome thing about phones is that your little mood booster is almost always with you~ Thank you for sharing

Self care has not been one of my strong suits, and that's because the things I enjoy fall in and out of interest so easily for me. Also, I know what would relieve a lot of my stress, but cannot afford to do it. That is simply working less. I work every day of the week, and usually my days are off are full of chores, errands, or just really active activities (like D&D) that don't allow me to recharge.

I've been trying to find things lately that only take a moment of my day to relieve stress and I've found a few things so far. One of which you all have already mentioned.

Pets. I have two cats, and they have both caused such an improvement to my life. Every time I come home from working they are there to greet me by the door, and that's just really nice. The first thing I do is scoop up my orange tabby and just love on him. Instant dopamine.

Have a snack. I always feel better after eating a small snack. I try not to do this too often myself because this is definitely a slippery slope that can lead to unhealthy eating habits. I try to stick to a couple babybel cheeses or grapes when I need just a feel good moment.

Tea. Tea is always a great way to relax, and when you add a lot of honey it's probably pretty good for you too? I always feel really relaxed after a cup of tea. I try to default to tea or water these days.

Water. Lately I've been trying to drink up to 40 floz a day, and have noticed a difference in my mood and health. Less headaches! Trying to work my way up to 60floz.

Asmr. Honestly this is a big one for me. Whenever I can't sleep, am stressed, need to focus on something important, or what have you I listen to ASMR. I recently even found ASMR geared towards people with ADHD lately, and am in love! I've also taken a liking to listen to Ambiance as well.
Thank you for the input~~

I'm a huge tea drinker too. Major fan of the herbals that are set for calming. Though, ginger is my jam. Strongly recommend honey citron tea or ginger, lemon and honey. Both are divine.

For snacking, I agree it's something you have to be mindful of. Knowing your body and what you can and can't eat is important. Another good thing would be to look into countering it with some exercise.

ASMR--- This is another one I do! Recently, I discovered that the answer to why this works for me too. Is that it's highly likely I've got ADD, already someone that lives with CAPD (Continuous Auditory Processing Disorder). Normally, my focus isn't anything more than fifteen minutes when trying to attempt things. I'm quickly distracted. My head is often very crowded (loud) or filled. It helps my mind level onto focusing. Normally, when I'm writing my go-to is listening to fireplaces, the crackling of fires is something that settles me. It reminds me of my Nana's fireplace as a child and the cold day we prepare it together. There's a sense of homeliness that comes with it. At night, I'll listen to the rain, preferably thunder storms---used to unsettle me. But now, it settles me because I have the sense of the security of knowing I'll always have someone there.