Selector Quintet ; A Wish, Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Name: Wakimoto, Toshi
Biometrics: Quite short at only 4'11, he's at least got a wiry build from a few years of practice.
Transformed Appearance: Maybe it's thanks to the change in uniform, but Toshi seems a bit older when he goes all out with his Artifact.

Personality: For a fourteen year old, Toshi shows remarkable self-control and calm. While not standoffish or disinclined to have fun, it's rare to see him lose himself in the moment. On the occasions when that does happen, it's almost instinctive for him to recollect himself at a heartbeat; if he's startled it's generally not for very long. Unlike others he doesn't dwell over these slip ups, but accepts them with whatever dignity he can before moving on.

Speaks rather carefree and casually despite his demeanor, Toshi isn't afraid to voice his opinion in a rather blunt manner. While his actions may speak of self-control, his words are on a much looser leash but he doesn't go out of his way to offend people; still he's been called the "Princely Brat" for a reason. He might look and act like a role model for other kids his age, but a conversation can be quite enough to ruin that image.

While not necessarily competitive, Toshi does have quite a bit of pride in his ability with the sword; though it's mostly directed inwards. His failures are far more influential than what others might say or do, so most of his problems are internalized and stored away for only him to see.

Likes: Practicing the Shinmei-ryu style, lazing about outside with a book, physical activities, and people who don't take things too seriously.
Dislikes: Upright and uptight people, sweet foods, being surprised.

History: Toshi was born to parents that hadn't been swept up in the supernatural side of their world. Yet those several normal generations came to an end with his birth; the lights from a meteor shower above falling and cascading onto the newborn baby. Not the most orthodox method to be selected as a Chosen One, but unmistakable nonetheless. Yet for the most part, Toshi grew up without exhibiting anything that could have been taken as beyond normal.

Well, it wasn't anything to really worry about and his parents quickly stopped worrying about when he'd manifest his powers; after all it was more of a sport than anything these days. So a few years in the town of Sakurashin passed without any real issues. His interest in kenjutsu was a flag, but by then his parents had basically accepted that what would come to pass would despite their best efforts, and Toshi didn't seem to be unhappy. So they encouraged and helped him pursue his interests, even if it meant adjusting their schedules to ferry him to the dojo

In the end, it wasn't the years of practice that elevated him to some superhuman practitioner, but a much more subdued event. Of course it started with a series of dreams that lasted a few weeks, each flitting from the mind in mere moments of awakening. While he'd never been told about the circumstances of which he'd been born, the idea of magical children was so intertwined with the world that he did consider it. What little pride he had developed at that point wished to refuse the offered power. He'd never be the greatest without it, but at least he'd accomplish things on his own. Pity about the whole born under a meteor shower and infused with its power thing, but hey ignorance is bliss?

Still, despite his best efforts to stay awake and ward away the encroaching dreams, the plan didn't last long. Tired after several days of sleep deprivation, Toshi fell asleep and awoke the next with a sheathed wakazashi clutched in his hands. Cue a few moments of frustration, which then lead to questions from his parents, and ended with the big reveal that he'd been some sort of Chosen One from birth! A few moments of despairing later at the fact that he'd been apparently "blessed" from the start, and Toshi resolved to at least not rely on this latest development. The fact that the sword seemed to impart memories just by holding it meant that point was somewhat ruined already, but at least he stuffed it under his mattress after that day.

With the latest news of the school's impending shutdown though, it seems that resolve can't be kept for much longer. Despite just being one of the numerous students with not much reputation, as one of those that has the ability to, Toshi isn't quite able to just look away.

Skills: Calligraphy, speed reading, and a bit of housework from training at the dojo.
Theme Song: Treue
Others: Coincidentally, the Artifact is apparently named Toushirou.

StatsNaturalSpentTotalW/Toushirou
Energy1344
Willpower1142
Intelligence1122
Strength2024
Speed2135
Skill2688

Traits
Short Shota Stature Struggles: -2 to Strength when Blocking because shota.
Artifact for a Reason: +2 to Strength and Speed when Artifact activated.
I Refuse!: +2 to Willpower as long as Artifact isn't activated. Artifact must be in his possession though.
No, my sword!: Loses positive traits when disarmed.

Abilities
Zanganken (Active): By infusing one's weapon with ki, a crescent slash of energy can be released to strike opponents afar. With sufficient skill, one can even redirect the force behind an opponent's attack into the skill thus alleviating or nullifying of the strain of use, or even supercharging the ability. As a technique from the Shinmei-ryu school, it's naturally effective against monsters.
A linear ranged attack (30m) with ki. 50% Skill and 75% Energy for Damage Roll. With two successful Parries there is no Energy usage. Any additional Parries add 1d10 to the Damage Roll. +1d10 for damage against opponents with monster attribute. Each opponent hits reduce accuracy and damage by 1d10.

Last edited:
@Craftsdwarf
First off, the weapon doesn't matter. It's the wielder that does. So she could totally have a summoned magical hammer that's a legendary demonic god slaying hammer of death, but it'd still depend on her to use it well.

In regards to the switching power, just note that it's pretty much teleportation, so that it should be used sparingly. Her Energy consumption will be very high if she uses it every turn. It also counts as a singular action, so after that switch, she can't do anything else that turn. Enemies can resist the positional switch with Willpower, btw, and the roll she's doing for it to 'hit' is going to be half of her Int stat, because really, that sort of teleportation is pretty OP.

Just so you're aware, 5'7 is really tall for a 14 year old Japanese middle schooler. I mean, I'm 20ish by now, and I'm not even 5'7. q.q

Anyways, stats.

She starts out with a base value of 1 for everything, except for Willpower, which is 0. She gets...10 stat points to spend.

Her traits are...
Meiko gets +2 to her Barrier count, setting her Barrier at 12 compared to the normal 10.
Meiko gets +1 STR when fighting against monsters/demons/non-humans.
Meiko, when blocking for someone else, gains +1 to Strength.
Meiko, being a lazy ass, must invest an extra stat point into Willpower whenever she's going to reach an even number.

After that, set up the stats, tell me how many points you put into Intelligence, and I'll tell you how many abilities you get.

@Zombehs
Shotas for days.

Don't have much of a problem, other than the fact that the chosen sword HAD to be a weeb sword, eh? Also, have dat +1 stat point.

Traits.
Toushi gets a static +2 to Willpower, as long as he doesn't activate his sword.
Toushi gets a +2 to Strength and Speed, after he activates his sword.
Toushi gets a -2 to Strength when blocking, because he's a fucking shota.
Toushi loses positive traits when he is disarmed.

He starts out with 1 in every stat, except for Strength, Speed, and Skill, in which he has 2. He gets 11 stat points + 1.

New trait for you.
Inferior Weeb Metal - Every basic attack done by Toushi gets -10 STR. Because fuck those scrub swords.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Craftsdwarf
New trait for you.
Inferior Weeb Metal - Every basic attack done by Toushi gets -10 STR. Because fuck those scrub swords.
But he doesn't even use his weeb metal Artifact most of the time.

So he has two swords? Or what?

Saijou Yori

"By my aim, Justice shall be delivered!"
14 :Age
5'4" :Height
118lbs :Weight

Transformed Appearance: Wears a black eye mask in the form of outspread wings. The depressions in the mask have a dull grey outline. Also a part of the outfit is a black skin tight suit, with an encircled emblem in the same design of the mask displayed prominently on his chest. Carries a glittering black rod topped with amber which serves no purpose other than being an ornament.

Personality: Yori is loud and over eager; loud and "obnoxious", as some would put it. He is also a touchy person, who isn't afraid of hugging someone if overcome with emotion, or smacking someone to bring them back to their senses. Despite this, he knows that there's a time and place for everything, and that includes his own unruly behavior. He is always a boy who is eager to please and is cheerful even when it would be counter-intuitive for him to be.

Yori is still a fastidious young man, all things considered, and is very caring about his school work. While not the most intelligent of young men, his dedication to perfection shows as a consistent ranker within the top 25 of his school. The same lack of laxness can be seen in his after school activities; being an almost natural part of the school's cheer-leading team's function.

• Birds​
  • Breezy days.​
Dislikes:
  • Sweets​
  • Quiet people​
  • Negativity​

History: The Saijous, a family well known for their corporation conglomerates turned politicians with a strong stance on the "control" and "censure" of all things "magic". Yori's father had been the spearhead for his family's movement movement since his graduation from university, with his mother soon joining him with a carefully planned arranged marriage; both being otherwise incredibly rich, influential, if more than a little boring, individuals. In their early thirties was the time that Yori was conceived and born; a seemingly normal baby boy if you had ever seen one.

During his years as a toddler was this fact changed. A strange, large bird, belonging to the order of Casuariiformes was seem hanging around the family's large mansion. Believing this to be a shape-shifter of some sort casing their house from the seeming sentience it displayed, Yori's parents had it chased out, and after it repeatedly came back, shot with real guns. Still, this was not enough to keep it away, let alone kill it, and persisted until it was finally able to complete its mission; giving Yori a brightly shining, perfectly oval piece of amber.

With this in hand, and the beastly roar of a small boy who could barely speak yet, his parents found him transformed into what would later be called his "superhero" outfit, and shooting out beams of light which were causing serious damage to his surroundings, despite Yori's young age.

At the advent of this event, and his parents taking their own image into consideration, they disowned him, to an extent. They still loved their son, despite his magic ability surfacing, and so set him up in his own large house on the outskirts of Sakurashin with their most trusted retainer set up as the one to raise Yori from there on out. The only stipulation imposed on this being that Yori not reveal these powers or his true connection to the Saijou clan.

Granted, when he was older, it wasn't long before he was ignoring the former restriction under the thin-veil of a vigilante hero named "Hikuidori". Nearly everybody who knows of his Yori persona inside of school and his Hikuidori out (particularly since the same large, flightless bird is seen following the two) are able to put two and two together that they are truly the same. With that so widely known, it's a wonder how the boy has been able to keep his family-ties under the wraps, especially when considered with the relative opulence in which he lives compared to the rest of the town.

Skills:
  • Studying​
  • Cheering​
  • Drawing​

Stats Natural Spent Total
Energy 1 3 4
Willpower 1 2 3
Intelligence 1 2 3
Strength 1   1
Speed 2   2
Skill 2 2 4

Traits:
  • Hair Trigger: Can attack twice per turn. -2 Skill debuff if he does.​
  • Justice Prevails!: Lower Energy consumption.​
  • Super Mahou Sentai: +1 Willpower and +1 Skill when working with other mahou shoujo.​
  • No Gun, No Life: Double Strength cost.​

Abilities:
  • Justice's Aim:
    • Active: A pinpoint electrical attack that applies a -2 Skill debuff which lasts for two turns. Cooldown for three. To hit: Intelligence
    • Passive: Ranged, magical basic attack which uses Skill to hit. If target is in melee range, -5 on a "to hit" roll.
  • Familiar Assistance:
    • Sustained: Prevents an enemy's ability use from the distraction it causes until knocked down. May use a dodge against attacks for Yori's Speed and Skill dice, against the target's Strength, otherwise the familiar is considered knocked down. The other option is to flee, a simple check of the target's Speed against half Yori's Intelligence. If not knocked down yet, may be recalled as a free action and positioned again the next turn. If knocked down, may be used again after two turns. No Willpower save.
Theme Song:

正常より

Last edited:
@Craftsdwarf
First off, the weapon doesn't matter. It's the wielder that does. So she could totally have a summoned magical hammer that's a legendary demonic god slaying hammer of death, but it'd still depend on her to use it well.

In regards to the switching power, just note that it's pretty much teleportation, so that it should be used sparingly. Her Energy consumption will be very high if she uses it every turn. It also counts as a singular action, so after that switch, she can't do anything else that turn. Enemies can resist the positional switch with Willpower, btw, and the roll she's doing for it to 'hit' is going to be half of her Int stat, because really, that sort of teleportation is pretty OP.

Just so you're aware, 5'7 is really tall for a 14 year old Japanese middle schooler. I mean, I'm 20ish by now, and I'm not even 5'7. q.q

Anyways, stats.

She starts out with a base value of 1 for everything, except for Willpower, which is 0. She gets...10 stat points to spend.

Her traits are...
Meiko gets +2 to her Barrier count, setting her Barrier at 12 compared to the normal 10.
Meiko gets +1 STR when fighting against monsters/demons/non-humans.
Meiko, when blocking for someone else, gains +1 to Strength.
Meiko, being a lazy ass, must invest an extra stat point into Willpower whenever she's going to reach an even number.

After that, set up the stats, tell me how many points you put into Intelligence, and I'll tell you how many abilities you get.
Totally cool with the limits on the teleportation! I was only imagining it as a fight opener/emergency situation kind of thing anyway, not at will. As for what happens when she fails trying to switch with someone unwilling, I'm not sure if either nothing should happen (except for a wasted turn) or maybe only half the teleportation is successful, and the enemy is unmoved but she ends up next to them and with a wasted turn. Well, maybe that would only be amusing the first time...

I'll knock a bit off her height. I think I decided on that before I did her age. Not that it's that big a deal just saying. >_>

And I've allocated the stats! I'll pretty it up later.

@Voltin
I guess you can say that he likes tentacles? :3

But yeah, there's really no bad guys for him to fight, so he'll be going about...I don't even know, maybe helping old ladies cross the street.

Stats will be 1 for everything except for Skill and Speed, which will be 2.
Amount of stat points will number at 9. He does regular heroics, but nothing in the CS states that he does training, and his actual heroics will be rather tame.

Traits.
Can attack twice per turn, though gets a -2 Skill debuff if he does.
Has lower Energy consumption that most others.
Gets a +2 to Willpower if he fights in tandem with magical girls (read: Meiko).
Every point in Strength costs two stat points instead of one.

Actually, scratch that, he gets a +1 Willpower Bonus and a +1 Skill bonus instead, when working with magical girls.

@Craftsdwarf
You get three abilities to work with. And go name your traits. :<

Also, the Willpower thing works more like this.

Willpower at 1 = 1 point invested, total.
Willpower at 2 = 3 points invested, total.
WIllpower at 3= 4 points invested, total.
Willpower at 4 = 6 points invested, total.

But yeah, there's really no bad guys for him to fight, so he'll be going about...I don't even know, maybe helping old ladies cross the street.
He's basically magical girl Masayoshi in the crime fighting department~

@Craftsdwarf
You get three abilities to work with. And go name your traits. :<

Also, the Willpower thing works more like this.

Willpower at 1 = 1 point invested, total.
Willpower at 2 = 3 points invested, total.
WIllpower at 3= 4 points invested, total.
Willpower at 4 = 6 points invested, total.
I will when I get a minute later, doing something now.

And I understood how the Willpower spending works, I guess I just didn't right it down for myself correctly. >_>

Two abilities, voltin.

Saya_candidate_6.jpg

"I'm not leaving you alone until we're friends."
Name:
Koizumi Saya
Biometrics: Is, in fact, albino. She weighs about 47 kg and is 155 cm tall. Saya bruises and cuts easily, and usually has a few bandages somewhere.
Transformed Appearance:
b2758fb85e4c749a1be5fda8b80c7eaf.jpg

a0276cc0eee96ebdd9f92272143a44b1.png

Personality: Saya is an awfully bright, cheerful girl for someone suffering from severe illness. She's friendly, outgoing, and enjoys doing whatever she can to run around and enjoy life when she's feeling well. It's almost like she's making up for lost time when she's too sick to do much of anything. She doesn't want to be a burden to anyone, and insists on helping others whenever possible, in whatever way she can. Not much can really get her down for long, and if she sees another suffering, she'll put forth an effort to help them. One could probably call her stupidly trusting, particularly of her friends, as she is liable to not notice plotting around her until it's far too late to do anything about it.

Impulsive and stubborn, Saya is quick to act without thinking and worse, stick with her course of action to see it through. Usually, this means taking the most obvious of solutions available, and just going straight through problems rather than thinking one's way around them. It also means she tends to pursue people she's interested in with relentless determination, or will drag her friends along with her into whatever adventure she decided to pursue. She will force you to dress up in cosplay at some point, if you spend enough time around her.

Ever since her little incident in the forest, Saya has changed a bit. She's become a little more casually cruel and overall violent, though she doesn't usually exercise any poer needed to really cause anyone undue harm. She rarely pays much attention to whatever lingering will is there to direct her, but that prior hero could, in theory, possess her more fully if the need arose, particularly if she were pressed into a truly dire situation. After which point, there would probably be a struggle for control unless she could come to terms with herself. For the most part, she does feel compelled to defeat evil and seek to maintain balance in the world.

Likes: Cosplay, Visiting the big city, Viol♥ent Eldrtich Girl Picoha (her favorite anime series Providence is best girl), Parasols, sunglasses, and floppy hats, tentacles
Dislikes: Bright sunlight. Sour foods. Doctor visits.

History:
Saya is the child of the local shinto priest, and lives at the shrine, often working as a miko there. She seems to have been born under a cursed star, as she has a host of problems. Her skin is porcelain-white, she burns easily, and she has trouble seeing in bright light. She suffers from some sort of illness which tends to have her in and out of the hospital on a frequent basis. She doesn't really enjoy such trips any more, finding them routine and usually bringing bad news or meaning a nice stay as she's treated. She has faint surgical scars on places, and isn't afraid to point them out or explain why she needed them. She's managed to maintain a positive outlook in life, at least, and if anything seems to enjoy things more because she is far too aware of her own fragile mortality.

Saya has an older sister, Kagami, whom she adores, although she does often tease her about being a "total slut" due to her habits of changing boyfriends frequently. She and her sister split the chores and shrine duties, and are usually seen doing the typical things siblings do, which is usually either hang out, or quarrel endlessly. Her school life is fairly ordinary: she has friends, and enjoys spending time with them. She does well enough in most of her classes, and has some extracurricular ones, often to supplement what she misses during a hospital stay. She seems to be particularly good at math, for whatever reason. She's a member of the cosplay club and enjoys making and wearing fancy costumes. She doesn't pay most heroes any mind, beyond that she wishes she were one and idly wonders what it'd be like if she had powers. She usually lives it vicariously by watching a lot of anime and collecting merchandise.

She didn't exactly ask to become a hero. Or really even TRY to. More, when wandering the forests around the town, she managed to get lost, and stumble across something, which must have been the remains of a Hero's armor, and possibly their own final resting place. She doesn't quite remember what happened after that, though she gets the feeling she was attacked by...something. Whether by chance or destiny, she has an impressive magical potential, and has inherited that fallen hero's power (and sometimes has them as a voice in her head). Her body has somehow fused with the old armor, or perhaps it's more that the armor fused itself with her body. At least she doesn't look like a knight of death clad in gothic plate, when she uses her powers, and instead gets her magical girl self-image fulfilled (complete with staff-like weapon/device). For the most part, she keeps her abilities secret, because there's just not much to do with them. Monster attacks or dark magical girls just never turn up. At least she isn't nearly as ill as she was before. But what the hell is a Time Diver and what's this about protecting the universe from evil?

Skills: Saya is fairly good at most shrine maiden duties and knows her way around the basics of the Shinto faith. She has a little archery training. She's good at math.
Theme Song: Sacred Force
The Orchestral Army theme for when you just want battle theme music.
AttributesNaturalSpentTotal Transformed
Energy 1 2 3 3
Willpower 1 1 2 2
Intelligence 3 2 5 5
Strength 0 0 0 2
Speed 0 1 1 3
Skill 0 1 1 1
Traits:
Empowered Transformation: Upon transformation, Saya gets +2 for Strength and Speed.
Power of Friendship: When fighting with other magical girls, Saya gets +1 Willpower and +1 Int.
Unnatural Antibody: Saya is resistant to status debuffs, such as stuns and roots and silences, giving her a +2 in Willpower when resisting them.
Glass Cannon: Saya takes 2 damage rather than 1 from physical attacks.

Powers:
Axion Buster: Your typical magical girl wave motion gun, now in gravity flavor. Saya fires a long-range gravity beam (or black hole like disturbance, same difference), which can be quite damaging. 100 m line area, with damage off (Int)*1.5 (or (Int)*2, at the cost of taking 2 damage or 1 willpower?); can be dispersed, but not reflected by blocking.

In addition, Saya is capable of conjuring and firing lesser bolts of magical energy with ease, and uses them as her primary attack. This ability is essentially a weapon which allows Saya to make basic ranged attacks using Intelligence.

Flight (Passive): Magical girls can fly, and it's silly to think otherwise. Saya can increase her flight speed (up to her Int rating) at the cost of spending energy.

Graviton Vortex: A burst of gravity which warps space in a small area, drawing anything within the area of effect toward the center, either slowing or immobilizing targets until they can break free. Resisted by Willpower vs Saya's (Int+Energy)/2, failure causes anyone affected to suffer -2 speed; they are instead immobilized if their speed is reduced to 0. Targets an area, creates a zone lasting two rounds.

Null Star: Saya creates a droplet of antimatter at a point in space. A short time later, that droplet expands, exploding into a larger area. Anything caught inside is beset with explosions at every turn, until the antimatter dissipates. Another targeted area effect; does nothing on the round it's cast, then lasts 3 rounds. Any creature in the area of effect must win a roll of Willpower vs (Int)*3/4 each round or take 1 damage.

Note: Saya may have a maximum of 3 zones active at a time.

Last edited:
@R-9 Pilot
Pretty solid kiddo, so don't got no complaints. Note that she'd probably be friends with the town mayor, a 16 year old who also spent some time in the hospital (more due to grievous injury than illness though).

Her base stats will be 1 for everything, except for Strength, Speed, and Skill, which will all be at zero, and Intelligence, which will be at 3.

She gets 7 stat points, because there's nothing for her to do with her powers, and she never did anything with them anyways.

She also gets dem traits.
Upon transformation, Saya gets +2 for Strength and Speed.
When fighting with other magical girls, Saya gets +1 Willpower and +1 Int.
Saya is resistant to status debuffs, such as stuns and roots and silences, giving her a +2 in Willpower when resisting them.
Saya receives a -4 to Willpower rolls against physical attacks.

Weakening Resolve
If your character is continuously locked in combat, every time they successfully nullify the damage of an attack through a Willpower check, their Willpower for the next check decreases by one. The same applies for continuously (and successfully) blocking, parrying, or dodging, which will continue to remove -1 from their Skill rolls when defending. After they are struck, the 'defensive' debuff is reset. If they manage to disengage or switch out, they will recover 1 point for their defenses for every turn they are not hit.

For example.
A is attacked. A blocks successfully.
Next round, A is attacked. This time, their Skill is reduced by 1, but they still block successfully.
Next round, A is attacked. Their skill is once again reduced by 1, and they get hit.
After that, A is attacked, and they decide to block once more. Their Skill has reset to its normal stage, allowing them to block successfully.

Now, strategically…
A is attacked, and they blocked.
Next turn, instead of blocking again, A allows their ally to jump in and block for them.
Next turn, A's Skill has recovered, and is at normal levels, when they would have generally been reduced had A chosen to block everything by themselves.

Essentially, this is my attempt to make getting hit more common, because everyone getting 10 HP would make fights go on forever if people aren't regularly hit.

Flurry of Blows
This is an option for pure manliness, only allowed for by melee people. Instead of going round by round, where everyone gets to go, the exchanging of blows is repeated continuously between two melee characters. The destabilizing effect, if they choose to block, can be stacked up to three times before the person who was destabilized thrice is knocked back, receiving a noticeable amount of damage. With a speed roll vs a skill roll, one can attempt to disengage in lieu of attacking. If three exchanges come up between the two where neither manages to land a hit or block enough to destabilize, either of them can disengage without a roll.

When in such a state, no special attacks are allowed, as there's literally no time for you to cast a badass spell. Allies can break up the fight by interrupting…but their own attempts at interruption can be interrupted.

So, thoughts?

This further amplifies the benefits of going a tanky route. If you pour into Willpower and Strength with even a mildly decent Skill score, then tanks can outlast this Weakening Resolve alongside an enemy and then eventually smack them for absolutely massive damage.

Wouldn't that be countered by a dodge-centric build though? A decrease in Willpower wouldn't matter if you don't take hits the first place, and if you're investing heavily in Willpower and Strength, that'd make you susceptible to AOE attacks, due to lack of speed to get out of the way, which would continuously lower your Willpower the same way and lead up to suffering...

Then again, you could just modify your abilities to deal with that...in which case you'll also have to get Intelligence...

But hey, you're the one who simulates things. Do you have any advice on how to make it so that it's easier to do damage?

It'd probably need something of a damage threshold, or do success-based like in World of Darkness or some other dice pool systems, to really work. Either way, if one generally only takes 1 damage from an attack, battles will still wax long. My two cents on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.