3. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Anything that actually has, you know, a good plot. I prefer RPs with fantastical elements, however, so generally, a bit of fantasy goes a long way.
Selector Concerto

A Tale of Magical Kids, Closing Schools, and Hero Clubs

• There's a lot to read, so I'll give you the basics right here.
    • This is my foray into Dice RPing, with stats and shit. I'll handle the calculations, you just worry about the writing. Credits to Asuras for letting me use the barebones of his system.
    • The plot is basically...your school is closing and you want to do something to make it not close, so you're going to join a club centered around glorious magical girl/boy vs magical girl/boy combat and try to get internationally famous and get publicity for your school. Or something like that.
    • Your character is someone who has the archetype of 'hero', whether it be from tons of hard work or from getting a magical power or from being the Chosen One. Note that in this world, there's a ton of Chosen Ones with no Quests to fulfill, and there's tons of wielders of holy swords or sacred weapons. Feel free to get creative and snarky about stereotypes.
    • The world is a relatively safe place, but supervillains are still a thing. Just not in your town.
    • The actual stats and ability-making will be done after your CS is completed. I will be allocating a specific amount of stat points depending on the CS. Don't try to powergame, or I'll smite you.
    • The important things to read are the Plot, the Town, and the Magic. Everything else you can worry about after finishing da CS.
    • Note: Every year, magical boys and girls go through an exam to determine how their stats have fluctuated.
    • This is a silly RP, but don't be a jackass.
    • I will give an extra point for all those who PM all the anime references I made in this thing. They're pretty easy, so I'll make it even easier for you. There are four of them.
    Also, I swear, this is going to get prettier. I just have no stable net, meaning no ability to go picture hunting. Q.Q

• Centuries ago, back when populations were still small, a Chosen One, a Hero of Light, or whatever else, would always be born in order to defeat the evil that loomed over the horizon and protect the world from devastation. They may be born from a long line of practitioners of the sacred arts, or they may be a once-in-a-hundred-years prodigy that came from humble origins. They may stumble upon an ancient relic that grants them immeasurable power, or they may be cursed or blessed by a diety, granting them their unnatural abilities. Regardless, heroes were born, made, or trained, rising up in their adolescence before fading away into peaceful obscurity in adulthood.

There was always a perfectly maintained ratio of heroes to humans, and, as the forces of evil grew, the amount of heroes increased to match those hordes.

That was then.

This is now.

After the human population exploded in the 19th century, the number of heroes also did, in accordance to the ‘Heroic Ratio’. This number continued to rise exponentially, until it became clear that there really wasn’t enough demons and monsters in stock to be a threat to the heroic armies. After being squashed, outnumbered, and overkilled countless amounts of times, the monsters eventually hung up a white flag and declared that humans were, indeed, the master race. From then on, the bad guys lived in coexistence with the good guys, never sticking their head into any more nefarious schemes of ill-repute. For a brief amount of time, the heroes were satisfied with using their powers to enhance society, not simply protect it. They would blossom into world-saving activity during their teenage years, before losing their powers at the age of 25 and moving on to enjoy the more mature aspects of life. Environmental problems didn’t exist. Food problems didn’t exist. Crime problems didn’t exist. With so many heroes around, the common criminal stood no chance, and they all understood that.

And then, the amount of heroes became a problem. The inability to use their destructive powers lead to frustration, especially amongst those children who were going through puberty, and many weren’t satisfied with the mundane, eventless lives they held, when they could be doing so much more with those powers of theirs. There was no external foe to fight, and eventually…

On a hot summer day, the cicadas buzzing lackadaisically in the air, an ice cream shop was robbed by a five year old with Telekinesis and True Sight. Though the mother apologized and paid for the ice cream eventually, word had already gotten out, at the fact that a ‘hero’ used their powers in a greedy, selfish way. And, just like that, villains of a human sort began to pop up all over the world, robbing banks or hacking video games or scratching cars or whatever misdeeds rebellious magical teenagers got themselves in. Immediately afterwards, the heroes that have not strayed overzealously engaged their dark counterparts, and it became clear to anyone with half a brain that the collateral damage caused by those fights did more harm than good. Magical lasers seared through the atmosphere and buildings toppled from the destructive impact of combatically-repressed kids, causing no shortage of things for the Earth Defense Force to clean up.

The moniker of ‘hero’ eventually turned into ‘magical boy’ or ‘magical girl’, as they could no longer be considered a pure force of good.

As governments, EDF officials, and former heroes discussed this growing societal problem, it became obvious that magical children needed a way to get rid of the frustration that came with having powers that could not be used. While dark magical boys and girls were still zooming about, providing a new enemy for the good guys, it was the root of the problem that they worked to address.

One week later, they came to a decision. If the magical boys and girls wanted to fight in order to release childhood stress and frustration, then they should at least do it in a safe environment.

And thus, the Selector League was created.

An event like no other, the Selector League pits teams of three to six magical boys and girls against each other, in competitions that featuring various objective goals, but all end up being combat-centered in one way or the other. Popular both with those who want to play and those who want to watch, the Selector League is split into a multitude of smaller subdivisions that match teams up either by strength or by age. Supervised by the Earth Defense Force and set on holographically crafted arenas in the sky, it has quickly become one of the most exciting things to watch on television…even if not all matches are particularly skillful.

Professional teams that show good sportsmanship are eventually granted Hero Licenses that allow them to apply their magical skills to the real world, and many of them become just as popular as actresses or celebrities, endorsed by dozens of companies and mobbed by massive groups of adoring fans.

Needless to say, it’s pretty great publicity for pretty much anything, and it’s healthy fun for all involved.

• Of course, most of that’s also irrelevant to your own life as a magical boy or girl. Living as a student of the only school in Sakurashin Town, a town out in the boonies, your powers have really only been used for mischief or cat-saving or making your chores easier. In a peaceful little town surrounded by the natural beauty that Japan’s old heroes fought to protect, there was pretty much nothing going on, even though the rest of the world went through gigantic changes. Rice was still being farmed, cows were still being milked, monsters were still chilling with humans, and students were still going to school.

And then, one day, an earthshaking event occurred, destroying your illusions of a peaceful, normal secondary school life.

Due to low enrollment rates, Sakurashin Secondary School was closing next year, putting a brutal end to your painless lives. Instantly, dreadful tales of super crowded train stations and scary, hip urbanites flash through your brain, and you fall into a crippling, brutal despair.

It is in that desolate abyss that an announcement rings through the PA system of your soon-to-be destroyed school.

The Hero Club is recruiting for a Selector team, and all are welcome to join.

Questions are encouraged. I have no laifu.

Wao, please no bully Gerald.

Gerald deserves all the bullying in the world. All of it.

Reactions: Skyswimsky
Metagame too strong.

The hate is too real for that Perception + Telekinesis wombo combo.

I will probably give this a shot. Always room for more Nanoha ripoffs, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.