Seijin No Soushiki: Return to the Moonlight

Dmitry

Edgebabby
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
A loud yawn escapes my lips as I walk down the side walk of Misaki, back towards the place I've been living since I came here. Its about nine o'clock in the morning and my face still smarts from the pistol that smacked it, not to mention the kick to my chest. Thankfully, the priest allowed me to stay at the church, though I doubt he was pleased. All things considered, I don't blame him.

Hell of a night, but then, not the strangest I've ever had. Not by a mile. Still, never thought I'd be working with the church, especially given my...unique circumstances. For now, she likely thinks I'm either an apprentice magus or something lesser, neither should cause me any problems with her. Best I keep it that way for now, lest she figure out what happened all those years ago. And then there's Nanaya, I mean, what's up with that guy? I get he means well and all, but he's gonna get himself killed if he keeps on like this. Doesn't matter how much skill you have, if you're that eager to pick a fight with something inhuman, you're on borrowed time at best. Hopefully I can get him to see that and, failing that, keep him from dying till this is over. Whenever the hell that is...

Before I have time to notice how long I've been in my own thoughts, my destination stands before me. I can't really say I'll miss this place; it never held much for me. After the door is unlocked and opened, the same old site greets me as always. No point hanging around, I'll just pack up and head back.

After washing, changing into a black shirt with jeans and a green cargo jacket, and getting everything together, clothes, toothbrush, mug, I head out the door once more and lock it behind me, slinging my backpack over my shoulder with my right hand and carrying my school bag and uniform with the other. Time to get back to church and figure out what the plan is with the sister, maybe grab something to eat on the way their. Do church folk like coffee and donuts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurogane86
Takashi Nanaya

As another day of scrubbing the bath house. Only this time Takashi chose not to use his ability. He started to doubt everything he knew about Demon hunting at this point. As he scrubbed the floor he kept replaying the scene in his head. That monster attacking Angela and Banfield as Takashi just stood there shaking at the site of a real demon. He stopped and felt his fathers knife in his pocket he held onto it as the sudden fit of anxiety hit him. "Damn it, damn it, damn it." He started sweating and fell to the floor he tried to catch his breath but all he could see was his face a creepy smile as he starred into Takashis soul. The room felt like it was getting smaller, he grabbed at his chest as he tried to regain his composure. As the dark figure approached Takashi backed up into the wall as everything seemed to go black.

"Are you slacking off brat?" The gruff firm voice if his aunt broke throgh the darkness. He looked up seeing his aunt giving him the same stern look she always does but this time he got up and hugged her with everything he had. Tears welled up in his eyes as he told her everything. "I want it to stop, Aunty, i cant take it i just want to be normal." His aunt rubbed his head and hugged him back, a first for her. Takashi looked at her through his tear filled eyes to see tjat she to was crying.

They retired to the kitchen where Aunty told him everything. She told him how his father, the next heir of the Nanaya clan saved his mother from a demon and fell in love at first sight. She told him about their secret affair and how they got caught, and how she was forced to leave the country. She told him that since she was pregnant if the Nanaya's found out they would have killed her to preserve the bloodline. She then stood up and left the room, she returned with a box. It was old, dusty and had the name Nanaya written across it. "Your father knew your mother was pregnant but couldnt go after her, since his family would have killed you both. He left this for you asking me to give it to you when you were ready."

She left the room and left the box. Takashi starred at the box. "Damn it." He said as he ripped the lid off...

A few hours of rest and rehydration had helped tremendously. Her rib would still take a little while to heal, but at least she could walk. And walk she did - into the rectory's tiny kitchen. "God be blessed," she said to nobody in particular as she noticed that there was a coffee machine. She needed a pick-me-up, and she was no local - or, worse, a Brit. She looked through the cupboards one by one. Nope, nope, nope, aha! Maxwell House? Really? Eh, it was better than nothing, she supposed. After filling a coffee filter with the grinds, she turned on the coffee machine and loaded it up. "Boop." She pressed the button, and it - slowly - began to make a quarter liter or so of that great life-giving liquid.

In the refrigerator was milk, but no cream or foam. Eh, it would have to do. After the coffee maker sputtered to a stop, she poured herself a cup and splashed in some milk, then practically tossed it back. Blacker than she would like, particularly this early in the morning, but whatever. At least she would be awake.

She poured a bit more milk in, before sitting down at the western table that dominated the small kitchen. Hopefully, those boys would be back sooner rather than later.

Now that I've gotten some food, a box full of donuts and three large coffees, I should get back to the rectory. Hopefully they don't mind a little sugar and haven't eaten already.

Ugh, the church. It's one thing to be working with them, but living in one? Not to mention living in the same place as that sister...Well, at least it shouldn't be for too long, I hope. In any event, there won't be much of a Misaki left if things drag on anyway.

Speaking of which...I guess the way to the church from the donut shop runs past that alleyway from last night. Looks like the police are already here and investigating, just like that house on the way to school. Naturally, the body is already gone and they've probably taken the man who was possessed into custody, not that they'll get much out of him. Considering what happened, he shouldn't be in any condition to talk about his night. I'm sure the Church and the Association will be happy to hear that, no need to cover everything up. Well, at least I don't have to worry about my new friend cleaning things up.

And just like before, I can feel an unnatural grip on me, the breath caught in my chest. Thankfully its not as strong this time and I manage to tear myself away from the scene, moving past the TV crews and continuing on to the church. There's nothing here for me and I fear for what it may do to me if I stay; hopefully the sister will know more about the aftermath.

Before too long, I finally make it back to the rectory, the coffee cooled off just enough to sip at. Unfortunately, I don't really know where anything is around here, so I'm just gonna have to wait for somebody to show up.

"Hey, I'm back. Got some breakfast here."

Last edited:
Takashi Nanaya

Takashi sat there as he looked into the box. "Scrolls?" He searched through them all, one had a technique written inside, another had a way to forge the perfect blade for hunting demons. He unravelled scroll after scroll, learning of new techniques and Nanaya secrets. He finally found the last one. He unraveled it as he did a picture fell out, it was of his mother and his father. Takashi held it as he did his eyes started watering again. "Mom. Dad." He said as he held back his tears, he placed the picture down and started reading.

"My son, it truely pains me knowing that you will one day read this and not know who i am. Im sure by now you understand the circumstances of our situation. That being said i cannot help to feel like a failure, a man should be able to stand up for what he believes in but i cannot. Being born an Heir to the Nanaya clan is more of a curse rather than a privalege. I have a responsibility to keep the bloodline going but, i want to be with your mother. If i could i would leave the Nanaya name behind and run away with you and your mother."

Takashi's eyes watered as he continued, he read as his father explains the history of the Nanaya's the techniques of a demon hunter and other secrets of the family. He finally got to the last chapter.

"With that i would like to offer you this choice my son. You can walk away from this demon hunter life right now and live a normal life, you have that right. Don't make the same mistakes i did, don't miss out on whats important in life because you feel you have to live up to the Nanaya name. If you do decide to hunt demons, do it because you want to. I love you son."

Takashi sat back in his chair, his emotions a complete wreak. "So just because i have the means to doesnt mean i have to?" He looked at his fathers knife and pulled it out of his pocket. He looked at it for a minute then dropped it into the box. He sraled the box with all the scrolls and blades and pushed it away from him. He laid his head on the table and sighed.

I think I hear someone else around here, in one of the other rooms. I'm not really keen on snooping about a church, but I am gonna be staying here a while. Well, as long as its not the sister changing, not that there'd be anything so cliche.

Somewhat nervously, I shuffle over to the area where the sounds came from. Even if I'm not expecting anything, I've never felt comfortable in these places, like there's some kind of weight in the air. After a bit of looking around, it seems there's a kitchen here, which in retrospect actually makes sense. Sitting inside is none other than the executor herself, enjoying a cup of coffee with a clearly blasphemous amount of milk in it. Guess that leaves one of those other coffees for me.

"Yo." A casual greeting despite the circumstances of my stay here. Setting the coffee and donuts on the table, the bag on the floor, I sit down across from her and grab a donut. For a while, silence fills the room. Before too long know it, I'm already washing down the pastry with some black coffee.

"So..." Its about time somebody brought up the events of last night, even if our broody friend is yet to arrive.

"Any idea what that was last night? That guy with the gun, I'm pretty sure he wasn't a magus. Never heard of magecraft like that, no incantation or warning."

Hopefully she knows something I don't, never was great at wrapping my head around this and Touko only bothered teaching me the basics. She'd always say it was better that way.

"G'morning." She greeted lazily. She eyed the food the boy had brought. A smile crawled onto her face. "You're a good kid." She snatched one - chocolate, probably - with a speed that belied her barely-awake appearance. It tasted good enough, she supposed.

"Well," she considered, thinking about what her parents had passed on in terms of Magecraft knowledge. "That's not unprecedented. Mysteries mastered, or engraved in a Magic Crest -" She pulled up her left sleeve and passed a modicum of Od through it, revealing the lines that defined the Edelfelt Crest. "-can be used silently, at will." After a moment, she passed a bit more across it, and a Gandr shot flew out against the wall. It wasn't enough to damage it, she knew, and even if it was, the curse would find no ground in even as quiet a church as this one. "You've heard of the Blue, right? She's famous for that."

"However, I agree, if only because he's heterodox even for a Magus. Prana bullets or Finn Shots - that Mystery I just used, but powered up significantly," she explained, "are frankly more effective than guns. Less conspicuous, and you don't need to buy ammunition. If he's a Magus, he's a strange one." She swished her coffee around in her mug. "At the very least, he isn't a Dead Apostle; that's obvious enough. If he was, what with our lack of backup, I would sincerely consider burning this city to the ground."

Takashi Nanaya

Takashi looked at the box and left the room to join his aunt in the sitting room where she was watching T.V. she was watching the news as she did paperwork, her usual routine. The anchors were talking about all the recent murders and searching for a solution. They brought on a retired officer to talk about the possibility of a serial killer. As they interviewed the police officer flash back started running through Takashi's head. The wreaths sucking out those peoples souls, Banford, sister Angela and the man with the gun.

Takashi started shivering as he remembered his face, his laugh. It all felt so overwhelming, that he had to sit down. His aunt looked up from her bills and realized what happened, she shut off the T.V and looked at her nephew. "Do you want to talk?" She asked concerned for his mental health. "Umm, i read it. My dad's note. He told me all about the Nanaya's and my mom and how he wished he could live a normal life with her." He looked at tje T.V "aunty? Do you think i should ignore all this?"

She sat back in her chair looking shocked, "so it really was that huh?" She looked at her nephew with kind eyes. "Takashi, demon hunters exist to fight the darkness. Thats hiw yoyr parents met, your father saved my sister from a demon and they fell in love. Without your father i would have lost my sister so much more sooner than i did, and i wouldn't have you." She said as smiled slightly tears in her eyes. She took in a deep breath and looked at her nephew, "your father told your mother tjat it was his duty to save the world from the monsters of this world." She sighed "i cant tell you what to do, you need to figure it out on your own." She said as she stood up. "just know that whatever you choose i won't leave you." She said as she left the room to open up the baths.

Takashi pulled out his phone and scrolled till he saw his number. The screen lit up with the name Banfield, he hovered over the call button but shut it off instead. "No, this isn't my fight, ill just go and help aunty with the baths." He stood up accidentally pressing the remote turning on the T.V just as they wete interviewing the family of a recent victim. A small girl was bawling her eyes out in her aunts arms. Siddenly Takashi remembered the day his mother died how he was crying and how much it hurt. He grabbed his chest as he felt this crushing feeling overwhelm him. "Mom" he said as a tear rolled down his cheek.

He walked over to the box and pulled out scrolls and blades. He didnt know much about fighting actual demons but he knew the pain of loss. How can he sit on his butt while people were getting killed. He looked at the scrolls and started reading learning how to perfect his abilities. He pulled out his phone and sent a message to Banfield and Angela.

From Takashi.
"Text me when you guys are ready to move out. I have training to do."

Wynne had arrived in Japan a couple days ago and had almost fought off the jet lag. Sadly, she knew of no magic in the world that could actually get around the consequences of flying halfway across the world on short notice. At least she'd had plenty to read on the flight over, with all the materials they'd piled onto her at the Clock Tower. Most of it was on the incident ten years ago, and made for some truly interesting reading. There wasn't as much on the current events, but she had plenty of newspaper clippings and what they managed to pull from police records.

Current case was something was stirring things up, supernaturally-speaking. And she was going to have to figure out what and put a stop to it. Something like four murder-suicides in what could be a pattern. Whatever the case, something was wrong according to the local reports, so they had to send someone in to take a look around. And that someone had to be her. Really. Just because her job was a detective didn't mean Wynne didn't still need time to actually pursue her own work in magecraft.

She'd arrived in Misaki the night before and secured a room at one of the local hotels. A friend had given her advice on avoiding the big international chains and instead staying somewhere the local business travelers would use. She might need to find more permanent lodgings eventually, but as long as the Association was paying her expenses, there wasn't much for her concern.

This morning, the legwork started. Local news had updated the number of incidents to something like 5. something else had happened just last night, and that was what Wynne was looking into at the moment. It wasn't a murder-suicide, but a murder was still worth poking around. It took a little while to talk past the police, but she wasn't lying when she said she was a detective sent to help investigate. Just about where she was from. A little bit of magecraft to seal the deal, and she was there.

She adjusted her glasses and started looking around. The location of the body was clear, and some unusual scorching at places around the alley suggested...something. She approached a wall and ran a finger over a thin, deep cut into it. "Let's see what happened here," she said, and cast a few simple spells, enhancing her vision to pick out the details of the scene. It was the best she could do on short notice, not enough time to try and see what actually happened. Blood showed in sharp relief, picked out as if sprayed with luminol. No spirits around, from what she could tell. And...plenty of black keys. Wynne sighed, and carefully picked one of the hilts up with her gloved hand. She would have to pay the local church a visit.

Last edited:
My eyes involuntarily narrow and I can feel the tensing of facial muscles in what can only be a visible grimace at her words.

"Please don't say that with a straight face, I'm still coming to grips with being back in this mess."

A hefty sigh follows those words and I grab another donut, frowning at the realization that my eating companion took the only chocolate. Shouldn't have bought the variety box. Well, probably better to let her have it, after all that talk of burning down town.

"Still..."

A palm props up my chin, elbow to the table as I take a bite of the donut.

"What the hell did he pull back there, on that fire escape. It's like...I don't know, he didn't even break it. Like it just snapped on its own weight or something. That didn't..."

That didn't feel like magecraft

The words catch in my throat; maybe I should just keep that part to myself. It would be wise to remember who I'm talking too, after all.

"Maybe he's a freelancer. I hear they aren't too shy around guns. Or anything else, for that matter."

In trying to change the subject, something sinister comes to mind.

"You don't...you don't think he's working with someone...do you?"

"Would you rather I pun? It's a matter deserving of seriousness. You seem unfamiliar with our ways, but that's no excuse. I did request your help, but I don't need it. If you can't kill anybody in this city in cold blood - including yourself - if you have to, then you have no business in our world. No business in Misaki, of all places. I hope you understand that."

She let that lie for a moment, before brightening. "In any case, there's something odd going on with that one, yes. For Magecraft, it was impractically flashy." She leaned back in her seat, her legs swinging back and forth like a metronome. "Considering that we're in Japan, a demon or ogre isn't out of the question," she said, using the Japanese "akuma" and "oni." If they were confronted with a hostile Daemon - Japanese "dēmon" - they would be well and truly doomed. "Though, I don't know if they can take human form. You probably know that better than I."

She blinked. "A freelance Magus? I doubt it, if only because I don't recognize him. There aren't many out there, and most do a lot of work with the Eighth Sacrament. We can pay pretty well."

"If he was working with others, we would have not been fighting him alone. He attacked us, after all."

"So," she said after several more moments. "What happened to the other boy? Nanaya?"

Takashi Nanaya

Takashi was reading his father's scrolls as he did he could only think of the differences this would make when faced against the man with the gun. "This is increadable, it was like i only scratched the surface of my Nanaya abilities." Even though he never seen these scrolls before or heard any of these terms, he just knew what it was describing. He read through one scroll after another, learning all he could. He learned how to tap into his demon hunter blood and really hone his technique. He quickly rifled through the box and found a demon hunters robes, and his fathers blades.

Takashi tried them on, it was like a perfect fit. Just as he holstered his blades his Aunt walked in. "Takashi?" She asked perplexed. "You, you look just like your father did." Something perked up in Takashi, "yeah. I guess i do." He said as he headed down stairs to the yard where he could practice his new technique. "I decided Aunty, im gonna do what my father wasn't able to. Im going to live my life the way i want to, i will save people not for the Nanaya bloodline but because it's the right thing to do." His Aunt nodded as he headed out the door to practice his new techniques.

Wynne arrived at the Aida Church and walked into the the main building. Only a few people were present, and most of the pews in the nave were empty. It was a priest she was looking for, although fewer people around was better for the sort of conversation she'd need to have. At least there was only the one church in town, so she didn't have to guess from half a dozen.

Father Willwosworth was easy to spot. Something about his kind demeanor marked him as surely as the cassock he wore. Wynne walked casually up to him and struck up a conversation. "Good morning, Father. I'd like to speak with you on something important, if you have the time."

"Good morning, child," the old priest greeted the younger woman. "What's troubling you?"

Wynne leaned in closer, and lowered her voice. Hopefully this wouldn't be taken poorly. "I'm here on business from the mage association. There wouldn't happen to be an Exorcist in town, would there? I'd rather cooperate than have a few rivals."

If he was surprised, Willowsworth controlled his emotions well, although he was no doubt considering what she'd just said carefully. "Please, come this way," he invited her to follow him. Wynne nodded and they both headed toward the rectory. "She just arrived the other day."

"Thank you, Father. I'll handle my own introduction, if it's fine with you." Wynne stepped forward and knocked on the rectory door.

Before she could get an answer to her question, a knock came from the door. Her brain flew through the possibilities. Not a hostile, obviously. A friendly? Probably not, all things considered, but maybe. It could be the Nanaya boy, but he struck her as the type to enter without knocking. Not Willowsworth, of course - this was his house.

She threw back the rest of her coffee and stood up. "Excuse me," she said, turning away from the table and walking to the door. She wasn't in her military habit, which was probably a good thing, instead wearing that of the Dominican Order - the order of religious that the Assembly of the Eighth Sacrament travelled under. Even if she wasn't technically a nun at all. In any case, if this was just a guest of Willowsworth - which she admittedly doubted - she could just claim she was staying the night while traveling and evangelizing Japan. If this person was a Magus or other sensitive individual, she might be able to pass herself as unknowing of the dark underbelly of the world.

Her hand paused on the doorknob for just a moment before she opened the door wide. It was a woman, around her age if she wasn't mistaken, and with an unreadable demeanor. The pensive, almost nervous look on the face of Willowsworth behind her belied that she was almost certainly not his friend, and probably not a wandering servant of God. She looked him in the eyes, before looking down at the rosary around his neck - the rosary she'd given him. He followed her gaze, before glancing back up and nodding.

Another? She refrained from outwardly showing her gnawing annoyance. I swear, if this becomes a TATARI incident...

She forced a soft smile onto her face, and did her best to hold the motherly demeanor that several of her actually-a-nun friends had down pat. "Good morning, my dear."

Another sigh escapes me, as I reach for my phone.

"Would you calm down, sister." Getting a little irritated myself, I begin practically guzzling down one of the now slightly cooled off coffee before setting it back down, half full.

"You should know as well as anyone I don't-" A knock on the door cuts the rant short, leading the sister to leave her seat. Oh well, I was probably about to say something I'd regret anyway. According to the old bat, I do that all the time.

Might as well check for any messages while the conversations over. After switching on the device and inputting the code, a message flashes on screen.

So...he made his decision then...

The umpteenth sigh fills the room

Dumbass...you had a chance to get out. Looks like my job just got more complicated; now I gotta avoid getting killed and keep him from getting himself killed. Fantastic.

Well, better let the sister know. With a slight, tired grunt, my bottom leaves its seat and my sleepy feet shuffle out of the kitchen.

Hell, might as well take the food.

Soon enough, it seems we have a visitor and around the same age as the sister. Probably shouldn't mention Nanaya right now.

"Want some food?"

Takashi Nanaya

Takashi was training in the yard, the high fences made it the perfect place to practice without being seen. He stumbled at first being so used to the ways he learned on his own. "Damn it, i keep forgetting to do it how the scroll says. I gotta get this right, those two are going to need back up, especially Banfield. He's the type that just rushes in, and the sisters' finishing move leaves her incapacitated." He took in a deep breath and took his time. He could feel the power envelop him, he felt stronger, faster. He opened his eyes, and readied his blade. "Flashing Scabbard!" He launched forward completely overshooting his target. "Woah!" He said as he stood straight up. "The difference, it was like night and day. This will give me such an edge."