Seeking Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day, Nora was more than a little ready to escape the four walls of the school. There were a lot of girls and not a lot of respect for personal space, both things she tended to enjoy. It was only when she got to her locker to pack up her books that she realized she'd left a notebook in the basket under the seat at her desk in Mr. Green's room. Finishing with the things she could grab, Nora zipped her bag and set off to his classroom, hoping he wasn't the type of teacher who darted as fast as his students to the front door.

Zack was in his classroom. He was reviewing his notes. He didn't want to have to weave through the congestion in the hall. So he used the time to get some things done. He figured it would also give anyone who wanted to talk to him a chance to catch him.

Nora knocked on his doorframe to alert him of her presence and then proceeded to the desk she sat at earlier that day. "Sorry, I think I left my notebook." She said by means of greeting. It was still there, and she pulled it out, flipping through it to ensure that it was indeed hers. She slipped it into her bag and looked up at her instructor. "Did you have a good first day?" She asked.

"It better than I thought it would." Zack answered with a charming smile. "I hope your day wasn't too stressful. Did you need anything else or just your notebook?" he asked. He wanted to make sure that she knew that he was available if she had questions.

"That's good to hear. I hope the year goes just as smoothly." She said, in her own way wishing him luck. He was probably going to need it. "Nah, after a few years you get used to what the first day is like." Nora said with a halfhearted shrug. School was just school. "I just needed the notebook. Probably not going to be saying the same thing next time I'm in here after school." She joked. She was well aware that she may need help down the road.

"I'm planning to be here after school every day for a hour or so. I want students to have to chance to catch me after school. For some that is the only time the can came for help." Zack informed her.

"Probably a good call. Gives people time between school and extracurriculars." She agreed helpfully. Not that he really needed her approval, she was just a student after all. "Anyhow, I should leave you alone." She said, taking a step towards the door. "Have a good night, Mr. Green!"

Zack watched Nora leave. He waited another half an hour just in case but no one else came to his room. He gathered his stuff and headed home. He wanted to review everything. Organization was the key to success. Atheist for the first month or so.

Last edited:
(OOC; sorry I wasn't able to access the internet. Feel free to add the time lapse whenever you're ready)

Nora went home for the night, planning on working on homework and perhaps getting to bed at a decent hour. It was a goal, anyhow. She just felt inclined to look decent when she was in school. An odd inclination, but one that had been drilled into her since childhood.

(No problem. It hapoens thus time of year.)
Zack was pleased how well his first month had gone. He felt like he really had a hang of what was needed to get the most out of his students. Some classes did better when he was laid back others needed a firmer hand. Today he was giving Hus first test in his classes. "Take your time carefully read each question and think about what its asking you."

Nora was a little bit terrified of the test sitting in front of her. It wasn't that she didn't read over the material, or that she didn't understand. Tests just freaked her out, and generally things went downhill fast. She tended not to study for them, which was admittedly a bad thing, but it probably wouldn't help. At least, that was her (faulty) logic. Failing tests had become second nature to her. When it was time to begin, she picked up her pencil and began to bubble, trying to at least give the test a fair try.

Zack had tried to keep the test simple and straightforward. He knew any students simply didn't tests well but the school required that the test cover certain information and have some level of difficulty so he couldn't make it too hard. But since it was the first test he didn't want it to be too hard either. He hoped he found a good balance between the two. "Please turn your test in as you leave."

She shrugged off the doubtful thoughts she was having to the best of her ability as she completed her test. There was still fifteen minutes left to the period, so she instinctively began to recheck her answers. Erase here, bubble there. Repeat. It was as though she knew literally none of the material. Eventually, the bell rang and she rose with the rest of the class. They turned in their tests as she left, and the girls' reactions as they walked out was a clear indication that there was a mixed bag when it came to who thought they did well. Nora wasn't convinced she was one of those students.

Zack accepted the papers. The kids e actions were mixed so he wasn't sure who did well and who didn't. He would know until he graded them. The rest of the day he passed out and collected test. At lunch he graded tests while he eat. At the end of the day he graded papers for an hour at his desk in case someone stopped by.

Nora tried to push the test as far from her mind as she could. She partook in the usual lunchtime gossip and conversed with a few people regarding other classwork in between classes. It was busy season in her senior year, as first semester was where they put the remaining difficult classes. Second semester was a significant amount easier in her case. For now, she'd sit and wait until her phone alerted that a grade was entered on her test. Nora could only hope she was underestimating herself or that he'd offer tutoring and retakes. She needed a decent grade.

Zack was pleased with the test results as he finished grading them at home that evening a large portion of the students passed. Once he was done grading everyone's he started entering the grades into his computer to the students. Nora F. See my about tutoring.

Her phone went off and part of her didn't want to look at it. It was the school alert tone, which meant the grades had been updated. Nora opened it anyhow, and when she read the comment about seeing her instructor, she internally winced. This wasn't her day, and it certainly wasn't going to be her night when her father checked her grades. She'd see Mr. Green tomorrow after school and do what had to be done to help her improve upon her grades.

The next day he handed back the tests. Even though the studens had their grades some liked to go over it to see what they had gotten right. He squeezed Nora's and other failing students shoulders as he handed the tests back. "This was only the first test guy. Their only going to get harder as we go."

Nora took her test, glancing up in acknowledgement as her shoulder was squeezed by Mr. Green in passing. It was a little disheartening to see such low marks on her paper, but the only place to go from here was up, right? She'd be able to figure everything out after she talked to him after school.

Zack handed back tests and made sure that those that needed help knew that he was available. He had a meeting at lunch time. But at the end of the school day he sat in his classroom waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.