Secrets of the Night.

Talea pulled the car beside the cabin, before turning off the engine. She reached into the backseat to retrieve a folder covered file, "Good because I can't cook for the life of me. I'm getting tired of fast food." Smiling brightly as she spoke, Talea opened the door and exited the vehicle. "8am-12pm Elizabeth comes over to clean. That includes your room as well. Don't kill her please. I expect you to be awake at 7:30 showered and ready. Your room will be down the first hall on your left. Third room on the right, do with it as you please." She spoke walking up the stairs to the front door, unlocking the door she stepped inside.

Esperanza climbed out of the car and followed Talea into the house. Looking around she just nodded at the instructions and went snooping in the kitchen.
"Hey, so fast food huh, then I dont suppose there's anything here to cook yet...if not then not a problem. I promise I wont wack the maid. Besides, there isnt anyone by that name in any of my contracts right now, so no worries."
She wandered through the kitchen looking at all the nice appliances and pots and pans to cook with, it was a womans dream and she wondered why Talea never bothered to learn. Well, maybe she could trade cooking lessons for the lessons she was going to learn.

Talea walked into the living room, this room was made for comfort. Sofa and love seat were made out of thick red velvet, the end tables were hand carved oak wood. Across the room was a fifty inch flat screen attach to the wall, and on the shelf below sat a dvd player. Smiling brightly Talea walked over to the near by book shelf, her left hand reaching out to find the letter J. Once found she slipped the file inside, "This is now your home. There is food in the fridge, I buy it hoping I can beg Elizabeth to cook for me. A lot of knee dragging and pleading." A small shrug lifted her shoulders as she spoke. Turning quickly she strode over to the large window that over looked the front yard. On the ledge was a glass case, Talea opened the top. Removing her sword she placed it delicately inside, "By the way their is a weapons safe in your room's closet."

Turning slowly, "There are a few rooms unfurnished do what you wish to them. Office, library, or what ever you choose. Now since the introduction is out of the way. How do you plan on reimbursing me for your lessons?" Her voice fell flat, and held a demanding note in its depths. The sound itself lost all happiness, cold utterly cold. Talea was pretty sure it would of scared her pupil, while waiting for her to respond she moved over to a globe. Pushing at a tiny latch it oped, revealing champagne glasses and a cooled bottle of Henri IV Dudognon Heritage. Talea reached out grabbing a glass, then the bottle. After topping off her glass and returning the Cognac to its holster, Talea walked over to the love seat. She couldn't help but to melt cross legged into the fabric

Esperanza took a step back at the coldness of her voice but was determined not to show any surprise or fear for the woman sitting in front of her.
with a determined look on her face she replied, "As for reimbursement for the lessons and staying her, it just depends on what you want. I do have my own contracts that pay very well for my services and I could give you part of my payment or I could split my contracts with you. Of course, since you seem to be alone here, I could just be your friend, although I dont think that would suit you. So, I'll leave it up to your discression as to what you wish for reimbursement." She scans the living room and wonders how a woman like Talea can seem to go through emotions so quickly.

Her house was amazing though, and after finishing her statement Esperanza turns and walks down the hallway to the room she was told was hers. She pulls her phone out and sets and alarm on it and send another message to her contract supplier telling him to meet her in town later that week with some of her things from her house in town that she was gifting to him. She sets the phone down on a small dresser and walks over to the closet removing her knife bracelets and placing them in the cabinet there before walking over to the window and looking out at the forest.

Talea sat for a moment sipping at her Cognac. The girl had a lot to learn, and she was up for the challenge. Though it did bother her that she didn't know much about her, "Esperanza come out here and have a drink." She did not raise her voice knowing the girl would be able to hear her even from this distance. She leaned over to the near by oak wood table, placing her glass onto the surface. She reached for a black book, the edges were embroidered with gold. Opening slowly she removed the red inked pen that was left inside. A small click as the ball point pushed out she began to write the girls name at the top of the page.

Esperanza tilted her ear towards the door as she heard her name being called, when she heard Talea finish with asking her to have a drink she turned away from the window and hurried to the door. She paused and slowed her steps until she reached the end of the hallway, she stood there and peered around the corner to see Talea writing something on a piece of paper. Esperanza smiled and snuck quietly into the middle of the room to right behind Talea, she put some spring in her legs in case she might have to dodge some sort of projectile. When she got into postition she smiled a little bigger and out of the dead silence in the house..."Hey, what are writing there?"

Talea jumped from the voice behind her, rather shocked the girl could be so stealthy. Taking a deep breath she lifted her right hand that held the pen, pointing over to the open globe. "I hope you like Cognac. I don't need any payment for my teachings, but one thing is required I want breakfast and dinner. Also I would like to know something about your personal and training history. That is what this paper is for, also you will need to starting filing every job I give you after completion. File any other jobs performed as well. Those will be kept in your room, this will help you remember your victims." Talea said while moving the same hand to lay lightly in her lap. Whom ever, taught this girl before hand she didn't need to know. Though she was rather interested in her training. Not wanting to start from level one, but deep down she already knew that wasn't necessary.

Esperanza walks over to the globe and fills a glass with the Cognac, taking a drink she flinches at the rather unique flavor but decides to give it a while before she decides whether or not she likes it. Taking her glass she walks over to a chair opposite the couch and sits in it, curling her knees up to her chest. She takes another sip of the drink while contemplating what she wants to tell Talea.
"Breakfast and dinner are no problem whatsoever. I will file all the jobs that you give me, and although I cant argue, I'm not sure that I should file with you what other jobs I perform, but if I must." She shrugs and then smiles, closing her eyes. "And my personal and training history huh? Well, then, I guess I'll just start at the beginning and you tell me when you want me to stop. And I have never forgotten a victim, it's why I watch the light leave their eyes, it keeps me connected to their memories." Esperanza took a deep breath and another drink before looking toward Talea with a pained and far away look.
"Like I said earlier, I have NEVER known anything but this kind of life. I dont even think I posess any abilities to do anything else. I'm the youngest child in a family that has been performing this duty for as long as anyone can remember. All of us were groomed from the time we could walk to hold a weapon, to have finesse, to be discreet, and to not have remorse. My family learned long ago that remorse is the thing thats gonna kill us in the end. I am the last member of this family. Another placed a hit against the active members of my family, and being as I was only a child and eight years old, they just took me with them. Lucky me, even after their death I couldn't escape my parents legacy. THey placed me with a mentor who has spent the last thirteen years training me to be top of the line. Last year, he told me about my family, and last week he died. I have numerous clients and contracts, most of them passed on to me after his death, I'm not complaining,and they dont care as long as the job gets done. My mentor trained me in all forms of knife fighting, stealth tactics, poisons, the ability to blend in with my environment, I also know how to handle munitions and projectiles as well as variations of speechcraft and the arts of disguise. There is very little I wont do to finish a job and make sure its done right." Esperanza looked back at Talea. "There, that's a synopsis of my life and training. Any details you want, go ahead and ask. I make no promises, ever."

Talea lifted her penned hand to start scribbling on the semi blank page before her. A few nods here and there to acknowledge she was paying attention. It took her a few minute to finishing writing what Esperanza had said, and to add a few notes of her own. After finishing she sat the pen down onto the table. To only fill her hand with her glass, she pulled it to her lips. Taking a few sips, Talea looked at Esperanza over the crystal. Once her thirst was quenched she finally spoke "If you have all this training why do you need me?" The serious look on Talea's face never faltered, even when she returned the glass to the table and retrieved her pen. Talea flipped to a new page while she waited for Esperanza to answer her.

Esperanza smiled. "Well, as with all training it's never finished. Besides, all of my contacts tell me that youre getting rusty." She paused and considered for a moment, fiddling with her glass. "You know, I'm not sure if there is a good answer to that question."

Talea slammed the book closed, with the pen inside. "Rusty.....Screw your contacts." She said abruptly before standing, taking her book over to the file cabinet. Opening the first drawer she placed the book inside, out view out of mind. She thought to herself, closing the drawer. Her fingers slid from the handle to the mail opener that ornamented the surface. Delicate fingers danced over the blade before snatching it up to throw it straight and true at the girl's shoulder.

If the girl was well taught then she would catch it without fail, if she didn't Talea would be stitching her shoulder through out the night. A smile crept across her face while waiting to see if the blade made contact.

Esperanza watched with satisfaction as Talea walked angrily toward the filing cabinet. Her prodding had worked, this was just the sort of reaction she was looking for, unfortunately with anger usually comes violence. She watched as Talea stood there looking at the cabinet.
'Too long, she's stood there too long.' Esperanza thought to herself, sure it was only a matter of seconds, but seconds count. Within those few seconds Esperanza saw it, the telltale twitch of muscle in Talea's shoulder. It was an almost imperceptible move, but she had learned that you never watch the weapon, you watch the body its attached to.

As soon as the letter opener came flying toward her shoulder both of her hands came up, palms flat, ready to smack down on either side of the flat blade. At the last second she closed her palms and Talea could hear the sound of metal hitting flesh. Esperanza winced as she lowered the blade, she had caught it, but not quite as soon as she should have. The blade had gone into her shoulder, not far enough to need stitches, but enough to bleed and hurt in an annoying fashion.

She looked down at the letter opener and a slight smile tugged at the corner of her mouth. "Well, don't we have a nasty temper." With that she flicked the blade underhanded toward Talea to land two inches deep in the wood next to her.

Talea laughed abruptly at the hideous thought, "Me have a temper?, Oh no Chere. I keep my temper in check. However, never trust me with your life. Just in your training. Your life is worthless just as mine.
She spoke while lifting one hand to remove the letter opener by its hilt, before returning it to its rightful place. The look of complete satisfaction adorned her face, while she moved back to the table to retrieve her Cognac. "Don't worry child there is a first aid kit in you bathroom. Nor will you have to worry I won't kill you in your sleep." That was the last words she spoke to Esperanza, before exiting the room. Talea retired to her bedroom, a heavy sigh escaped her lips. A few questions fluttering in her mind, Could she ruin her life?, End her life?, or Will she end mine?. Lifting her unglassed hand she ran her finger nails against her scalp.

Esperanza watched in silence as Talea left the room, watching her out of the corner of her eyes the whole time, she wasnt stupid enough to let Talea behind her, nor was she brash enough to let her know. As soon as she heard Talea enter her bedroom, Esperanza walked down the hall to hers. Entering the room she closed the door around, double checked the alarm on her phone and walked into the bathroom to check the wound in her shoulder. The bleeding had been light and the wound wasnt deep, that was good. Esperanza found the first aid kit, cleaned out the small puncture and placed a small square of gauze over it. When her ministrations were done Esperanza looked up at her face in the mirror.
For a few moments she just thought about Talea's last words. 'she's wrong, my life, her life, they're not worthless, neither are the lives of our victims. yes, what we do may be morally and spiritually wrong, and yes, i do still feel remorse, but all of us, we're just human. Humans kill, we are the most bloodthirsty race on the planet, and do I wish I could be something other than a killer.' Esperanza shook her head and walked back into the room, she lay on the bed staring at the ceiling slowly drifting off to sleep. That night, her dreams were full of the haunting faces of those whose lives she had already taken.

The night before Talea didn't get a wink of sleep, instead she simply took a long bath. Meddling in her own thoughts till the water ran cold, who was this girl really? She often asked herself through the night, with exasperated sigh she threw it out of her mind. Padding over to her closet, she found the purple silk robe. The edges were embroidered with blue velvet, it hung just above her knees. The design of a black withered cherry blossom tree graced the back. Snuggling her bare skin into the fabric felt like heaven, turning back to look at her nightstand. A small scowl pulled at her lips, the lights of the clock shining three am into the darkness. Talea figured it would be to early for Esperanza to be awake she slipped out from her room, her bare feet padding down the hall to the kitchen.

Her right hand slipped out to push the start button on the coffee maker, "Its going to be a long day." She whispered to herself. A small ding echoed into the cabin, and the smell of fresh ground coffee beans drifted threw the rooms. After pouring her a warm cup, she walked slowly over to her double bay doors. Pulling one open she stepped outside to enjoy the early morning air. The dew made the foliage of the trees glisten, and a low fog swirled around the trunks. A small pink color in the horizon told her dawn was a approaching, a small smile crept over her lips. Lifting the mug to her lips she sipped at the liquid, letting it give her energy she desperately needed.

Esperanza tossed and turned in her sleep, the memories of pain and guilt and blood haunting her everymoment. After a particularly rough episode she sat straight up in a cold sweat gasping at the silent scream that escaped her lips. After composing herself she reached for her phone, the comforting blue light on the screen read 6:00 am...half an hour until her alarm went off. Well, there wasn't anymore sleep to be had tonight. Quickly she got out of bed, discarding her ruined outer shirt for just the tank top she wore underneath and walked silently into the kitchen. The smell of hot coffee maybe a couple of hours old greeted her as she rummiged through the fridge and cabinets to start on her promise to Talea, breakfast.

Talea was completely lost to the world, the beauty of the sunrise took her away. It seemed to make this life worth living, well so she thought till a loud clicking and clanking entered her mind. Her left brow raised curiously, turning slowly to face the kitchen with the now cold mug in her hands. One foot after the other moved silently across the deck, until she met the wall. Leaning forward slowly she peeked inside, the girl was up early making her breakfast. "Good girl." She muttered under her breath, standing to her full height. Talea pulled at her robe making sure every bare inappropriate inch was covered. She wouldn't dare walk into the kitchen with all her naked glory shining. The smile on her lips, gave away her thoughts "The look on her face would be priceless." The words shimmered in her mind. Even as she opened the outer door to the kitchen, "Good morning." Talea said cheerfully over the sound of thumping feet against wood. Striding over to one of the free counters, Talea slid her mug onto the surface along with her bum. The rather thankful expression took hold of her face. The robe did not fall open, no embarrassment will get her today!

Esperanza was busy setting out pans and ingredients: eggs, potatoes, sausage, biscuits. THis was going to be a wonderful breakfast. She knew she shouldnt, but she couldnt help but let her guard down a little as she started to cook. She was busy cutting potatoes tat she didnt hear Talea come into the kitchen until she said 'Good morning.' when she heard that Esperanza spun around faster than thought possible and was prepared to throw the heavy chef knife in Talea's direction. Her face couldnt quite pull off the look of utter exasperation as she turned back around and went back to cutting.
"Good morning to you too."

Talea leaned into the wooden cabinets, her brow raised. "Don't worry I wont bite you today. However, I could beat you to death with a coffee mug Speaking of which how is your shoulder? It isn't going to stop you from training is it, if so I'll have to go handle some business on my own. Which would be dreadful I was looking forward to having company." She said through a bright smile. The sound of a light thud vibrated through the floor as she pushed herself off the counter top. Talea walked into the living room to the file cabinet, opening the third drawer down. A thin file was retrieved with the letter M on the tab.

Folder in hand she made her way back into the kitchen, tossing it lightly beside Esperanza. "Timothy Mitchem, DNA analyst from New York. Graduated from New York state in 2000. Is married to a Sarah Mitchem, with two daughters. Lilly age five, and Ashely age seven. Currently he works for a Mr. Smith a.k.a nobody knows his damn name. He is our target, and it has to look like he died from natural causes." Talea quickly blurted out the small information she deemed important. The rest Esperanza could read on her own, Talea went back to her perch. Jumping back onto the surface of the counter she crossed her legs before she spoke once more. "How should he die chere?" She asked wanting to know her opinion.

"First off, I'd like to see you beat me with a coffee mug. Second, its only a small puncture, and not painful or debilitating, I'll be fine, thanks for asking. Lastly, natural causes huh? Lemme think for a moment." Esperanza paused in her cooking and turned around, leaning against the counter.
"Well, if I knew his age, I could gauge exactly the best methods from there, because with all the new technology in the field of criminal justice, natural causes are the trickiest, an accident in the home would be easier, and for that we would have to case him for a while and get to know everyone's schedule. Of course, that takes time, and I'm fairly certain that there isnt that much time for this case."