Secrets and Forbidden Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josephine did not miss what he first tried to say, but did not comment. A smile quirked her lips. " 'Tis a pleasure to meet you, Matt." "Are you sure you don't want me to walk you to your gate?" He said looking around slightly. "Fog is a dangerous thing to walk in." "I have dealt with thicker fog than this. I shall be fine." She was slightly cut off when Matt spoke again and wrapped his arm around her. Her cheeks were dark already with blush, and grew darker still. "Tis strange weather. You should stay close, who knows what may be lurking." "Tis normal weather, and I am not afraid." He was trying to accompany her, to convince her to let him come with her. But she held firm on this. "Please, I shall find my way from here. My apologies if I sound rude, but I think it best if we part our ways here. Away from my house." 'Where you are still safe.' There was a look in her eyes, a pleading look, that asked him to accept this. "I hunt when the sun rises; perhaps we may see each other again, near our stream."
<input id="mac_address" value="undefined" type="hidden"><input id="triggerLogout" type="hidden">

He nodded, at least he could say he tried but pressuring a girl too much can be considered rude. She had every right to deny him of walking her to her gate. "If it must be so. Till next time." He said with a slight bow. He really wish she had accepted, but if fate should let them he would see her again. He watched as she left, slightly hurried and faded away into the fog. He sighed and started to walk back, there was nothing left for him to do. As he walked and listened to the slight crackling of the leaves under his feet he couldn't stop thinking about her necklace. How did she get it? Questions kept pestering him as he walked back to the castle. He figured he would sneak in.

"If it must be so. Till next time." Josephine curtseyed back at Matt after his bow, smiling. Her eyes held sadness that he couldn't come with her, but she knew what would happen if he was seen with her. He didn't deserve that risk. It would be her fault if he was hurt. If only she could explain, if he understood her reasoning and why she was refusing his company now. After a soft "farewell", she turned and hurried off into the fog, towards her home. It was nearly nightfall, the forest was becoming darker with every passing second. But with every step she took, her mind returned back to the young noble. She had never met anyone so kind and sweet, or friendly. Alyxander scared off anyone who became too close to her. When the house came into sight, though, Josephine had to prepare for the scolding she knew was coming. Still, in her mind it was well worth it.

((want to continue a post or so, have them be scolded, then time skip to the next morning? Or just time skip now?))

((Just skip then hint to it I think, though I don't really have a greeting planned and sorry for not using old English, I'm not very good at it.))

Mathias had gotten to the castle and as always only one guard was actually awake and keeping guard while the other lazy bums were off sleeping in the guard tower. He would have sighed if he wasn't trying to get past them. He would need a distraction of some sort, but what? As Mathias looked around he found a rock, though that would be a lousy distraction it was worth a shot should all else fail. Just as he felt that he had no other option a man on a horse road up and started to talk with the guard. He seemed angry and was armed, a strange occurrence... but soon enough Mathias was able to tell the mounted man was drunk. Taking advantage of the occurrence he slipped past the guard and started to make his way to his room while keeping out of sight from all the men patrolling. It was an annoyance but he managed to get to his room after almost an hour of playing duck and run. He climbed up the ivory ladder and into his room turning around to close the window. He half smiled, most of the town didn't have windows, he was one of the few lucky ones to have glass instead of shudders. Just as soon as he sat down he fell asleep.

((It's fine, I often switch in and out of it when I'm not paying much attention to it))

Josephine steadied her hand on the rusty metal knob, pushing the door open. The greeting was exactly what she expected. Three sets of eyes on her; one scolding, one worried, and one absolutely livid. "Where have you been?! 'Tis nightfall, and you return only then!" The female ignored her sibling's furious demeanor as she closed and locked the door behind her. "I was out hunting-" "Without telling anyone?! You could have gotten yourself hurt, mauled! Killed!" "Alyxander, peace. Calm yourself, your temper shall make her no safer. It cannot be helped now." The dark haired male, probably around 19 or 20, sat down at the table with a huff. Sir William then turned his gaze to Josephine. "Do not think you shall go unscathed for this one. 'Tis the third time this week you have snuck out without Alyxander's company." "I am not a child. I need not his protection. I am old enough to do things on my own. Please?" Her father gave her a warning look, upset that she had gone off again without permission. She was precious to all of them, and if anything happened to her all hope was lost. "I just want you to be safe, my dear. 'Tis nothing more than that." "But I am safe, on my own. You just trust me so little and do not dare let me have freedom in that fear. Fear that I am growing up and there is nothing you can do to stop it." With that, Josephine walked off, towards the stairs. Alyx shifted, but was stilled by a looking from the older male. "Let her go." The young maiden scurried up the stairs and into her room, closing the door behind her. Tossing her bow and quiver full of arrows aside gently. Her mind returned to the boy she had met earlier... Mat. A smile returned to her lip, and her hand was clutched against her chest. His touch had been so warm, so gentle. Would she ever see him again? It was not likely, but she wished very much for it to be so. The girl sighed and changed into a nightgown before collapsing on her bed, soon fast asleep.
<input id="mac_address" value="undefined" type="hidden"><input id="triggerLogout" type="hidden">

Mathias woke up to the sun shinning in on his face, he would have to remember to close the blinds next time, otherwise the sun would continue to wake him up early in the morning. He yawned and sat up in bed with a slight groan. Waking up was never easy for him, it was one of the thing he hated in this world... he had a long list of hated things, mainly from his father. After getting up and changing into proper attire for a prince he groggily walked downstairs and was greeted by dozens of female servants. His father only hired females as servants because males could be untrustworthy or some other blabber about how males were dominate and what not. He paid no mind to his father, only gave him the head nod and acted like he understood what was being said. As always the females wish for a couple kind words that they had learned to crave. After all his father did not treat them fairly and never said a kind thing to any of them. "Hello, yes hello to you too, oh please stop, your smothering me, even a prince needs air. That's good, just give me some space, ok." He said with a slight smile, they always tried to be as close as they could to him, not because he was attractive or a prince but because whoever his father felt was most friendly with him would be his servant for the day. Mathias knew that and since non of them wanted to be stuck with his father they tried to get the easy job with the prince, whom they would only follow around for a while until he left to wherever he goes. Most of them knew they could not marry the prince anyways, that would require them to be of blue blood, also known as a royal.

They had made him breakfast and were serving him at his every whim, even if he just felt like he wanted some salt on his eggs the girls would fight over it just so they would be the one to hand it to him. It got tiresome after a while, he had loved it at one point but now it was just getting old. After breakfast, before his father had the chance to pick the lucky servant, he left for the forest in hopes of seeing her again. He must have been laying on his rock for hours before he started to feel like it was taking too long, and decided to take the will out of fates hands and into his. He started to walk to her town. When he was in sight of it he remembered, he had forgotten to ask for her name. He never would be able to ask around town without her name. It was a pity but he would have to wait at the river. With that fleeting thought he started to walk back, following a small dear trail that lead half way to the river.

Josephine woke late that morning, later than usual anyways, and snuck out quickly after getting dressed. However, on her way out, she was caught; by the last person she wanted seeing her. "And just where do you think you are going?" The female turned around slowly, giving Alyxander a slightly annoyed look. "Am I not allowed to leave?" "Not without me; you know that, Josephine. Times are tough, and people turn on each other at the first chance to prosper from it." The girl sighed and knew she wouldn't be going out anytime soon. "Go on, put away your bow. It's market day, we get to buy food, and not kill it." That brightened her spirit a little, because it meant she would not be stuck inside; though she would still be with Alyx. "And am I allowed to go as well?" Her sibling gave a thoughtful look. "Well, I don't know..." "Please? I promise I will not leave your side." The male sighed and nodded, getting off the cheaply made, and very uncomfortable, couch. "We should head out, before mid-day hits and the crowds are out."

Mathias had gotten back to the river and sat on his rock. He kept thinking about that girl he had met the day before, thought still swirled around his head. Some trying to taunt him about not figuring out where her house was, what her name was, where that necklace came from. He figured he must have pressured her to much in the fog, maybe going too far by putting his arm around her shoulder. Maybe she didn't like to be touched in such a way or even at all. He really hoped he had not offended her but in a game with fate that was what he most likely had done. He looked up at the heavens and curse whoever had given him such ill luck, who ever had taunted him with such a beautiful girl, both on the outside and the inside. Why would they put the diamond just within reach and then taken it away as if to say, 'Look! Here is the best! See its fine shade, its perfect shape, its wondrous reflection! But you can't have it.' He laid back on the rock and groaned. If only, if only, he had gotten her name. He was sure it would be fine enough to toast wine, just the name itself would flavor it!

After he waited for hours and the sun began to set he sat up. Half the day was gone, he must not waist anymore of his time waiting on someone who would never show up. He had things that must be done inside the castle, mainly court decisions where nobles tried to steel houses away from peasants because the peasant picked a potato out of the wrong garden and his house was enough to pay for it. Unfortunately he had to agree with the noble or face the wrath of his father and maybe even an uprising against the thrown by the nobles themselves. It all would have been fine with him if he could just get a glimpse of that girl again. He couldn't get her out of his mind.

<input id="mac_address" value="undefined" type="hidden"><input id="triggerLogout" type="hidden">The day went by with Josephine and Alyxander wandering the market and buying off any food that they could afford. The prices had risen again; another bad crop this season. It was growing harder and harder to keep the plants alive, and it could only be harder upon the farmers who toiled the land only to gather such meager reward for their labor. But this was the reality, and everyone had to put up with it; not that they never wished it would get better, because that thought was ever present. But rational thinking canceled that useless hope in order to keep everyone from dying. After a few hours, the two siblings returned home with a few loafs of bread, some cheese and milk. "Looks like we shall hunt soon enough. The meat was much too high in price, as it is rare now. Especially after the poaching laws put up a few weeks past." Alyx gave Josephine a meaningful look, which she tried to ignore; he was worried about her going out alone because of that law. If a noble caught her... a noble. Her mind caught on Mat for the tenth time that day. His smile, his friendly words, the peace by the stream. The thoughts would not leave her be, nor did she want them to. He would be waiting for her, wouldn't he? Shame boiled within her, knowing she had let him down. He seemed so sweet and kind-hearted, it would be such a pity never to meet him again. "Josephine?" The young female snapped from her thoughts as she awoke to real life again. Alyxander was leaned against the table, giving her a slightly concerned look. "Are you sick again? Are you not well?" " 'Tis nothing. I am fit and well. Just thinking." The male opened his mouth to ask something else, but held it back. It would d no good to question. "Sometimes I wonder what goes on in the mind of yours."

Mathias was finally done with the court session, the usual boring stuff that he didn't have to think about at all. It started with a Noble taking a house from a peasant for standing in one spot for too long and disrupting the piece. Then a noble man was prosecuting a lower noble man for holding back a gold coin that was supposed to go to taxes and so on and so on. All he had to do was say whichever side had the highest noble won the case. The only time he would have had to think was when two men of the same social standing came in. Then he would have to actually think about the law and what had happened. Actually two peasants came in but they weren't aloud to see him so they got into a fight to solve it. The one that had won, and killed the other man, was killed for killing another man and all the money they were disputing over had gone to the noble man who owned the land. The wife and children of both homes were forced on the street and he felt sorrow for them. One of them was yet to be the age of five and most likely wouldn't last a week. He sighed when it was over and left. This was just horrible, when he became king things would change.

He soon when on to the noble sport of swords play and 'passed' another class. His father wouldn't let him go past the novice swords play lessons for whatever his reasons even though Mathias had done exceptionally well and could have gone onto expert after the second lesson. Sometimes he would never understand his father...

After storing away the food, Josephine returned to her room. The Williams were both out working, and usually the two youths were with their parents. Madame Williams needed less help, as she was a seamstress, and there wasn't excessive need or want for such things. Sir William, on the other hand was a blacksmith; which was a very important job within the kingdom. It was rare for a day to pass without vat least one noble coming in, desiring a new sword. Or a guard of the king, asking about the massive order of armor and weapons that he had been working on for almost a month now. That was where Alyx came into play. But today, he was at home, keeping her inside the house and away from the forest. Shutting the bedroom door behind her, she dug through the drawer of her half falling apart nightstand. Her hands recovered a sketchbook and a charcoal pencil. The drawings were nothing special, but they were all dear to her... she sighed, wondering if she would ever be able to afford getting the colored pencils that she had so often seen. But they, like all unnecessary indulgences, were very expensive.

The pencil met the paper, and Josephine's mind was caught only on one thing. The outline of a face, hair, eyes... as time went on, the picture took shape. The handsome face, the warm and gentle smile, the light in his eyes. Mat. It took her about an hour, perfecting it and over-perfecting it, until she thought it would be good enough. She was no artist, but when inspiration hit she couldn't just ignore it. Finally finished, she signed something at the bottom of the paper. Josephine. Smiling, she carefully placed it on the <input id="mac_address" value="undefined" type="hidden"><input id="triggerLogout" type="hidden">nightstand.

The hours passed, and the forest grew dark as it fell into night. With her family fast asleep, Josephine snuck out in her cloak, thorough her window and silently into the forest. No bow, no quiver with arrows. Just her, her cloak, and the drawing. She tried to remember her way to the stream, but heeded to her instincts and listened for moving water. I didn't take her too long to find it again, and she smiled, putting down her hood. Everything was silent except for the river. No one was in sight; nothing that she could see. She walked over to one of the biggest rocks, which was sure to be seen if Mat should return. If the picture was gone, she would know he had come again when she came back here tomorrow.

Mathias was soon finished with his lessons and went about the day dreaming about that girl whom he met in the forest. He kept wishing he had gotten her name, he was so stupid for not asking her for it. Now he was in his room sitting on his bed replaying the short time they were together, how she was so unsure of him, almost walking off a ledge until he pulled her closer. How she had thought he was looking at her breast when that wasn't his intention and closed her cloak. She was so modest about herself, it was cute. She was very shy most of the time and didn't really warm up to him too much then he had to go off and put an arm around her. Stupid Stupid Stupid! He should have just kissed her hand or bowed and let her be off. Why did he have to go off and pressure her.

He looked out the window and figured that most of the day had gone by, it was night now and he wondered if he should check for her. Throughout the day he had run down the river to check and see if she was waiting for him but he never had any luck in finding her. This time he just shrugged off the wanting feeling to check for her, she was not supposed to be out passed dark, he would not find her there waiting for him. He sighed again and started to drift off into a sleep.

After leaving the drawing tucked safely away near the rock, she quickly scurried back towards her home. Her gaze turned back, wondering if she should remain and wait. See if Matt would come. But the longer she stayed out, the more chance of being caught if Alyxander decided to check in on her; as he sometimes did during the night. Usually she was writing or reading... a rare thing that she had the luck of being taught. Her sibling didn't know how to read, and she often found him giving her curious and jealous glances when she sat in the grass and skimmed over pages of tattered and timid books. Not that he could be blamed, as he did have the right to act like that. He was older, smarter, quicker, stronger... yet she had the intelligence and trickery that was out of his reach. Josephine continued down the trail, her mind shifting back to the river. Back to the young noble she had met before. Where was he now? Had he been waiting the day away, and have her come too late? What kind of family did he come from. There were so many questions and so few answers that she had gotten during their short meet the eve before. But she really did wish to see him again. She would, she was sure of it. Even if it meant standing by the river, waiting for hours on end. Even if he didn't come, at least a sign that he had been there. Perhaps, if she was stuck inside again, he would leave something behind in the place of her drawing.

Such fanciful thoughts made Josephine smile, and carried her back into her home. Up the tree, through the window, and into bed. It mattered not that she was dressed still in her day-clothes. The moment her head lay upon her pillow, she was asleep with dreams of the mysterious young man she had come to wonder about.

Mathias woke up in the morning, this time a little after the sun and got ready for the day. The girls greeted him as usual and he said kind words to each of them and ate as they fought over who would hand him what. It slightly annoyed him but he didn't let it show. After he walked out and told them not to follow as he head for the forest. Really this time he needed to go to the forest, after yesterday the girls were even more clingy to him.

He followed his stream to the large flat rock he normally laid on and found a small piece of paper held in place by a stone. He picked it up and almost gasped, it was a fairly made picture of him. He looked over all the features and felt like it was almost like looking into a black and white merer. He continued to gaze upon it until he noticed a signature at the bottom, Josephine. So that was her name, it was gorgeous just to think and even better when he spoke it. Surely such a name could flavor wine itself, if he ever was at an event with her where they would have to toast their wine he would propose the toast himself and instead of using actual spiced bread to flavor the bitter substance he would say her name was good enough. Of coarse, secretly before the event even began, he would have the wine properly toasted just so people might actually believe it was the name of the fine maiden that he couldn't stop thinking about.

The next morning, Josephine awoke at sunrise, changing into a simple, threadbare gown. She ate with the rest of her family, small slices of bread and some cheese, distracted in her own mind. Alyxander took notice of this, worried that she was going to sneak out again while the rest of the family was out working; he wasn't able to stay behind today, there was lots of work to be done. And his concern was correct, for the young female said goodbye to her family as they left for their jobs, then stole back into the house to gather her cloak and her bow and arrows. Perhaps she may be able to catch some prey this time, and claim that she had remained nearby, is she was caught sneaking in again. Without another thought, Josephine darted from the house, closing the back door behind her, and snuck off into the treeline. 'Shall he be there?' Her heart pounded at just the thought of seeing her new-found friend again. There was so much to be said, to be asked, so much to learn about him. Was he as restless as she was to have their paths cross again?

Mathias put the picture in his pocket and looked around. She was still not around and he was worried she had gotten in trouble the night of the fog. He got up and started to walk to the village on the outskirts of the town. Again he followed the old dear trail and at one point he thought he had heard someone running but when he looked no one was there. He sighed rather loudly and continued to walk again half wishing it had been her so he could call out. "Josephine, you are enough to drive a man insane." He spoke to himself, or perhaps another being unseen to even his own eye. "I wonder if fate is playing a game, maybe I had dreamed of such a glorious woman and that dream was just too lifelike for me to know the difference." He thought out load as he continued to walk. "Could such a fair maiden even exist?"

It didn't take Josephine long to make it most of the way there. However, something stopped her approach; footsteps nearby, on the trail. She hid in the shadows, unable to locate the source of the noise, but knowing something was close by. She stayed where she was, listening to the slow, steady movement. Then a voice. "Josephine, you are enough to drive a man insane." Her eyes widened a little with shock, recognizing the tone instantly. The young maiden glanced around the tree she was hiding behind, but still was too far out of sight. She moved towards the voice a little, but out of sight still as she continued to listen. He spoke again. "I wonder if fate is playing a game, maybe I had dreamed of such a glorious woman and that dream was just too lifelike for me to know the difference. Could such a fair maiden even exist?" At this, Josephine slowly began to creep out of her hiding spot, but stuck to the shadows. The noble was in sight, and she was absolutely sure it was Matt. A paper stuck slightly from his pocket; her drawing! "Such a fair maiden? Truly, is that what you think of me?" She was fully away from the shadows now, standing in the middle of the trail behind him, smiling slightly and blushing. No one had ever complimented her.

Mathias stopped like a dear caught in headlights. He was surprised to hear her voice again, so soothing to the ear. He turned around and was caught for words, nothing came to his lips as he looked at her beautiful, slim figure. Maybe that was what had held his tongue, or maybe he was just so caught off guard by her sudden appearance that his mind still didn't comprehend what had just happened. "I-" He choked again, unsure if she liked what he had said or if she was annoyed. As she stepped slightly closer he could see her blush, she liked what he had said! "Why yes," He said stepping over to her and slightly walking to one side. "How can I not love such a gorgeous personality." Then he walked around her only to appear before her again, "and such a beautiful figure to go with it." He said with a smile as he looked into her eyes. She had traced him with her eyes as he walked and just looking at her... she shined with the cute aura that most people never though was real. He wanted to kiss her but she was not just another servant that begged for that kind of stuff. He spoke more highly of her than a servant but still felt as if he had disrespected her... maybe. He couldn't decide if he should apologize, making a maiden feel uncomfortable was not proper.

Josephine giggled a bit, raising a hand to her lips to quiet the sound. His expression, the shock in his eyes, just made her laugh a little; he was adorable, so clueless. His actions were so outward and obvious, yet around him she did not mind. Anyone else would have never looked at her like that, never dared to touch her. Perhaps they feared she was more delicate than she seemed, and that she may be scared or upset if they stepped out of line. "Why yes, How can I not love such a gorgeous personality." The female blushed a little bit more, but kept her smile. She didn't move, only shifting her gaze when he circled her, stopping back in front. "And such a beautiful figure to go with it." Her cheeks darkened. "You flatter me. Such a charming young man." She glanced away for a moment before looking back up into Matt's eyes. "My apologies, for yesterday, and for leaving you so rudely. My family is just... quite protective, really. I feared that if you were seen with me you may be harmed. And I had been stuck inside, as my brother had not let me out of his sight."

He smiled as she looked into his eyes, her lips moved but nothing came out. He was in a half daze just by looking at her in the particular lighting which only seemed to enhance all her good quality's. He stepped closer to her so he was brushed up against her and put his arms around her dainty frame. His hands stopped at the curve of her back and he leaned in to kiss her. Just as his lips touched hers he realized what he had done and quickly backed away almost letting her fall before he caught her. "I- My apologizes." he said not sure how to continue. He really liked the feeling he had with her in his arms and their lips touching but it was terribly rude for him to do. "I don't know what came over me." He said setting her on her feet and backing away two or three steps. He had backed away so fast after kissing her and slowly raising her to her toes that it was almost impossible for her to keep her balance. Especially since she did not expect such a sudden movement... no one could have.

Status
Not open for further replies.