Seas of Silent Hope

When Ri came back Kestreel was with two other men in the room. "A shame... I guess we will have to continue using computers." Then Kestreel made a signal with his hands to the other men to take the girl out. "Return to the college, study, bla, bla, bla. Forget you have ever been here." Said Kestreel before the men took her out of the building. Kestreel walked slowly into the room Adam was and looked at him. "Last chance to cooperate with us, or last words. Your choice." Said Kestreel.

Ri was led out of the building by the two men. She tried to question them about her brother but they wouldn't answer her questions. Ri sighed and sent another silent prayer up for him. I'll come back tomorrow and see if he's here she told herself before walking away. Adam chose to spit in Kestreel's eye instead of answering him. He smirked at the man and said,"I'd rather die then help you."

Kestreel chuckled and took a handgun with a silencer attached to it from inside his trenchcoat. "Wish granted, asshole." Said him just before pulling the trigger a couple of times, killing Adam even before his corpse could touch the ground. Then Kestreel put the gun back into its holster and left the room. "Someone clean all that mess." Said him to one of the guards on the hallway as he made his way back to his office.

Ri managed to find a job and an apartment within the week after she left her brother at the GDA. She visited his college to see if he had gone back but they said that he never returned. Ri started to get worried after after a few days of them telling her he hadn't shown up. On her day off she decided to go back and find out where her brother was. Ri dressed in a nice pair of jeans, her favorite blouse and peacoat. She walked up the steps of the tall building and to the receptionist desk asking for Mr. Kestreel.

The receptionist made a couple of calls an a few moments later appeared a tall and really handsome man with a pretty neat suit. "Hello, my name is Daniel. I believe you were looking for one of our agents? Kestreel if I've been informed correctly?" Asked him with a really nice and polite smile. "I'm afraid he is not available right now, but I will help you in anything you may need." Said him inviting her to walk with him.

Ri smiled back at Daniel and followed along beside him. "Well you see my brother was brought here about a week ago. I had to leave him here and now I can't seem to find him anywhere. The last person to see him was Kestreel. I came here to find out what happened to him." she told him.

"Kestreel..." Muttered Daniel loosing his smile for just a second. "Captain Kestreel is busy right now... Well, Captains are always up to something. But for a cute lady as you? I will see what can I do." Said him regaining his gentle and nice composture. "In the mean time, would you like me to introuduce you to GDA? I'm pretty sure you have heard awful things about us... But I can assure you none of those are true." Said Daniel, offering her a visit to one of their laboratories with a warm smile.

Ri noticed his smile drop when he said Kestreel's name. I wonder what that was about she thought. "That would great. I'd really appreciate it. I'm very worried about him." she said. When Daniel offered her the tour she had to think for a few. Ri didn't really trust these but what was the harm of staying just a little longer, she had nothing else to do. "A tour sounds great!" she finally said.

"Nice." Said Daniel. "Over here." And both of them walked into one of the labs. A place with the purpose of showing people what kind of work the GDA did. "Our scientists, the best ones in the world, put all their effors studying the multiple effects of the DNA mutations and their source." Explained him showing her some scientists in white hazard suits working with vials and sirynges.

"But research is not the only thing we do, we also help the people with this new and dangerous habilities to get used to them and put them to good use. Look, we have a pretty good example over here." Said Daniel showing her a young girl who was moving some books from one shelve to another with nothing else than her powers. With her there were a scientist and a couple of other people, softly encouraging her and helping her. The girl seemed pretty happy to be with them. "Our fields also extend to other technologies like motoring, computing engineering, music, mobile technology... Everything we learn here is used to improve the day by day of all the people around the world." Said Daniel sounding really convincing.

Ri was sort of impressed. She looked at all of the scientists and even watched the young girl for a few. "So you guys use their powers to help others. Do the people whose powers you're using have any say in the matter? Do they get to chose whether or not they want to help? And if they chose not to help what happens to them? I'm pretty sure that you don't send them back into the world." she said still facing the girl. She turned towards him and continued,"Sorry for all the questions. I'm just curious."

"Oh, no, no. Don't worry, I'm here to answer all your questions." Said him with his usual smile as they slowly walked through those show off labs. "As you know, we work with the governments all around the world, helping them to take good care of people with DNA modifications. Of course, the people are the ones to decide what to do, but since we are still working on a way to reverse those modifications and, by law, we are not allowed to 'send them back into the world', as you said, we offer them a safe place and a job here, with the GDA family." Explained him. "And those really few who do not wish to stay with us, we turn them to the police and let them take care of them."

"I see. So they still aren't allowed to be free." she said more to herself than to Daniel. Ri didn't like the idea of her brother being in this horrible place. Even though the rooms and labs that she walked through were nice she didn't really believe any of it. Why would people break into your house and try to kill you if they just want to help? she thought. "So what are the affects of taking out the modified DNA?" she asked Daniel after walking through several labs.

"As far as I know, nothing we have tried have worked. All the compunds we achieved just don't do anything. And if you are worried about it, you should know that all we try in human subjects is always 100% innocuous to their system. So they are never harmed in any way." Said Daniel, obviously proud of being part of GDA. "Hey, look." Said him pointing at a girl dressed in a electrician robes. "Martha?" Said Daniel, making the woman turn arround. A woman of about 30 years ols, pretty good looking with the hair rather short. "Oh, hey Daniel." Said Martha. "Martha, I would like to introduce you a friend, I'm showing her a little bit of what we do here." Said Daniel. "Yes? Pleased to meet you. I'm Martha." Said the woman. "Well, Martha here was a pretty common DNA modification, but in her delicate hands, she makes it look really unique." Said Daniel. "Oh, please, stop it..." Muttered Martha with a blush. "Come on, shouw us a little bit." Asked Daniel. "Okay." Said her and then extended her palm, and from it, figures formed from inofensive electicity appeared; a horse, a dog, a boat... All made from really tiny sparks of electricity.

Wonder how many tests it took to achieve that number she thought. Ri was interested in seeing someone who worked here that had abilities. So when he called Martha over Ri was excited."Nice to meet you Martha. My name is Ri." she said extending her hand towards Martha and giving a firm handshake. Ri didn't understand what Daniel was talking about until she saw Martha hold out her hand. Ri was curious and watched carefully as she saw the figures dance across her hands. "Wow that is amazing." Ri said being 100% genuine.

Martha finally closed his hand and looked at Ri. "Thank you." said her with a smile. "Now, if you don't mind, I should get back to work." Said her and with a nod he returned to her things and Daniel and Ri continued their visit. "As you can see, we are a prettybig and happy family here at GDA, and I'm sure that all the bad things people hear about us are just a missunderstanding." Said him. Then Daniel looked at his watch and back to Ri again. "I'm afraid my break time has come, and I Really need to eat something." said him with a wide smile on his face. "Still, if you would like to join me, I would be honored."

Ri really wanted to find her brother her brother and get out of here. Could Daniel be stalling or was Kestreel actually really busy? But then again Daniel was great company. It didn't take long for her to make up her mind. "Sure. Where are we going?" she asked following beside him. It was a good thing she agreed because Ri could feel her stomach starting to growl at her from hunger. All right all right you'll be fed soon enough she told her tummy.

"Nice. There is a place not far from here, most of the employees always go to that starbucks place on the other side of the street. But I prefeer the more personal touch this little place I say have." Said him taking her to the place."So, What are you studying?" Asked him, gently opening the door to a pretty beautiful tea shop made in wood, granting the whole place a warm and homely illumination.

Ri walked inside the tea shop. The place was simple yet elegant. She couldn't believe that she had never been here before. She made a mental note to come back here with her brother as soon as she found him. Ri was surprised by the question that Daniel asked then again she had to remember that not many knew she had skipped a few grades and graduated college early. "Oh. I'm not in school. I was able to skip a few grades and then graduate college earlier. My brother is the one who is still in school." she told him.

"Oh, we have a pretty smart girl here." Said Daniel with a smile as he sat with her in a table and ordered some tea. "Then, tell me what would you like to be. Doctor? Who knows.... Firefighter maybe?" Wondered him.

Ri laughed. "No no not a doctor. Hmmm that's a good question i've never thought about what i would like to be." she said honestly. In college she only got a Liberal Arts degree which would allow her to virtually work anywhere. Having to raise Adam on her own was enough work and trying to figure out a specific career was not a priority.