"Scuse me?"|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, this:

but Jontron made it so much funnier when he put "Overreaction Alert" And played this:

I once had a junior in high school legitimately ask me the following question.

"Is gravity like a solid, liquid, or a gas. I think it is a gas."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FireEater and Hana
actually, for a second, i was like "'scuse me, but that's a shitty LINK cosplay"

and then i realized it was peter pan
At first I was like "Link and Dark Link. Hmm, would have been better if you just used a blue and black rubber ball as Navi. But then I saw tinkerbell and remembered the disney movies and was like "OOHHHH"

Pokemon are a cause for homosexuality
?!?!
But Ash has a different bitch with him every time. If anything, it promotes being a manwhore XD.
But I've had arguments with what I call Super-Christians, who think that anything they say or do is holy, but if you do the same things or say the same things you're sinning. And they basically say that Pokemon teaches darwinism to children and goes against religion so it should be removed from television, yet they buy the games for their children.

Now, onto my S'cuse me moment:
Note: Not against all christians, I'm actually very supportive of religion. However, I am Agnostic Atheist. I do not believe in god/s, however, I cannot disprove them (Except Cthulhu, every sane person knows he's a fictional character used by H.G. Wells). I actually experimented with christianity a bit, attending a southern baptist church.

Onward!. Basically. EVERYBODY at the church I was attending knew that my mom is, in fact, lesbian. Now, the FIRST day I attended, what did they teach? Anti-Homosexuality! The funny thing is, I had a chat just ten minutes prior with the reverend of the church about my mom, and how her then girlfriend was taking care of her because she was sick, after coming home from a diabetic attack. His first words of the entire sermon were "Man should love Woman, and Woman should love Man, no alternatives." If he wasn't an 82 year old man, I would have walked up and punched him straight in the jaw.

Later on in the month, he preached about how 'Man is the only creature on Earth, in all the Universe, that has a soul", and he constantly brought up the phrase "All dogs DO NOT go to heaven." I have two dogs myself, and they mean more to me than any of my friends. If something happened to my dog/s, I'd lose myself. I really started to hate the man. I wanted so badly to stand up and look to him like "What next? You gonna' say that only practicing christians can go to heaven? That an Atheist, even if he hadn't committed a single sin in his entire life, would automatically go to hell?".

I don't hate christians, or christianity. But some people have the idea in their minds that they're superior beings because of their religion, and that Holier-Than-All attitude.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
?!?!
But Ash has a different bitch with him every time. If anything, it promotes being a manwhore XD.
But I've had arguments with what I call Super-Christians, who think that anything they say or do is holy, but if you do the same things or say the same things you're sinning. And they basically say that Pokemon teaches darwinism to children and goes against religion so it should be removed from television, yet they buy the games for their children.

Note: Not against all christians, I'm actually very supportive of religion. However, I am Agnostic Atheist. I do not believe in god/s, however, I cannot disprove them (Except Cthulhu, every sane person knows he's a fictional character used by H.G. Wells). I actually experimented with christianity a bit, attending a southern baptist church.

Onward!. Basically. EVERYBODY at the church I was attending knew that my mom is, in fact, lesbian. Now, the FIRST day I attended, what did they teach? Anti-Homosexuality! The funny thing is, I had a chat just ten minutes prior with the reverend of the church about my mom, and how her then girlfriend was taking care of her because she was sick, after coming home from a diabetic attack. His first words of the entire sermon were "Man should love Woman, and Woman should love Man, no alternatives." If he wasn't an 82 year old man, I would have walked up and punched him straight in the jaw.

Later on in the month, he preached about how 'Man is the only creature on Earth, in all the Universe, that has a soul", and he constantly brought up the phrase "All dogs DO NOT go to heaven." I have two dogs myself, and they mean more to me than any of my friends. If something happened to my dog/s, I'd lose myself. I really started to hate the man. I wanted so badly to stand up and look to him like "What next? You gonna' say that only practicing christians can go to heaven? That an Atheist, even if he hadn't committed a single sin in his entire life, would automatically go to hell?".

I don't hate christians, or christianity. But some people have the idea in their minds that they're superior beings because of their religion, and that Holier-Than-All attitude.
Coming a little close to a rant there, bud, may want to dial it back a bit.

My sister feels the same way when people tell her dogs don't have souls, she loves her canines so much and absolutely fell apart when Nikki (her mini chihuahua) died a couple years ago :(

?!?!

Your first mistake was going to a Southern Baptist church. They're like the sane part of the Hate Groups. A lot of them hate Catholics as well, so... Yeah, they hate everybody.

?!?!

It's times like these I realize that I'm probably extremely fortunate to have grown up attending a church where all the priests seem to be super-accepting and decent human beings that seem determined to prove every criticism against the nature of religious people wrong.

Like, there's one priest who is not only a science teacher, but pretty much repeatedly mentions in his homilies how he thinks that religion and science can and should coexist, and that they don't need to contradict each other. He believes in evolution, and also has done several homilies where he's referenced sine waves and quantum physics and things. I don't remember the specifics, but, yeah, it's a bit weird but also kind of awesome when a priest suddenly goes all science on you during mass.

Oh, and not only am I aware of at least one openly gay man in the community who attends without any prejudice (that I'm aware of), but, here's something to think about -- when my church did a production of the play Godspell for charity, it was aforementioned gay man who played the part of Jesus.

"Gay Jesus" has pretty much become my argument against people who generalize Catholics (or really just Christians in general) as being anti-LGBT.

And this is why it really bothers me to see people who do use religion as an excuse to say/do hateful things, because it's pretty clear that it's not a problem with the faith in general or even a majority of the people following it -- it's just a bunch of people being turds for turds' sake.

absolutely fell apart when Nikki (her mini chihuahua) died a couple years ago :(
aww. Yeah. I've lost several dogs due to legal disputes. We had a pair or wild rabbits that we were trying to nurse back to health die on us and the ASPCA slapped us with an animal abuse charge, so our seven dogs and nine cats got taken away from us and most of them had been put down in the shelter because they hadn't found homes. After that, we weren't allowed to have pets for several years. It lasted from when I was about 6 til I was 13, so seven years...And then we had a cat that had died giving birth to kittens, and the kittens died shortly after because they weren't able to get the nutrients.

it really bothers me to see people who do use religion as an excuse to say/do hateful things, because it's pretty clear that it's not a problem with the faith in general or even a majority of the people following it -- it's just a bunch of people being turds for turds' sake.
MMhm. Me and my friends would use the church for sleepovers, when we wanted to get away from the adults and let us have our own conversations and such and make our own rules (their dad had a strict bedtime set at the house because he had work and the walls were paper thin. And it's hard to sleep with 3-4 teenage boys laughing and such) And a member of the church happened to drop by to leave some food he made in the church fridge (so that the less wealthy people had food in their stomachs, and the adults also met very early sunday mornings) and he walked in on us watching "Alexander". It was a movie about Alexander the great and his conquest of Persia. Well, it's a known fact that Alexander was homosexual, and had a single wife, and the movie expressed this. It had a very small makeout scene with another man, and the guy literally paused the movie, ejected it, and snapped the disk, saying that a movie like that shouldn't be viewed in a church. It was a bit pitiful, and he got yelled at because it actually belonged to my friends and their father had bought it so that we'd have an educational movie to watch while we did our chit-chat. But it was funny, because I had the movie "Constantine" with me and we put it in the moment he left, and I had hid it back away in my bag before we all went to bed.

I honestly wish I had your church experience @Kaga-kun . It would have made my experiment with religion more fruitful. In fact, my experiences didn't drive me away from christianity, it actually made me read bits and pieces of the bible on my own time. Though I was always an agnostic atheist. I actually have several copies of the bible. Including the mormon bible (Basically a reiteration of the old testament in the christian bible)

MMhm. Me and my friends would use the church for sleepovers, when we wanted to get away from the adults and let us have our own conversations and such and make our own rules (their dad had a strict bedtime set at the house because he had work and the walls were paper thin. And it's hard to sleep with 3-4 teenage boys laughing and such) And a member of the church happened to drop by to leave some food he made in the church fridge (so that the less wealthy people had food in their stomachs, and the adults also met very early sunday mornings) and he walked in on us watching "Alexander". It was a movie about Alexander the great and his conquest of Persia. Well, it's a known fact that Alexander was homosexual, and had a single wife, and the movie expressed this. It had a very small makeout scene with another man, and the guy literally paused the movie, ejected it, and snapped the disk, saying that a movie like that shouldn't be viewed in a church. It was a bit pitiful, and he got yelled at because it actually belonged to my friends and their father had bought it so that we'd have an educational movie to watch while we did our chit-chat. But it was funny, because I had the movie "Constantine" with me and we put it in the moment he left, and I had hid it back away in my bag before we all went to bed.

I honestly wish I had your church experience @Kaga-kun . It would have made my experiment with religion more fruitful. In fact, my experiences didn't drive me away from christianity, it actually made me read bits and pieces of the bible on my own time. Though I was always an agnostic atheist. I actually have several copies of the bible. Including the mormon bible (Basically a reiteration of the old testament in the christian bible)

Bisexual. Alexander was Bisexual.

Yeah, I live in America's inbred Bible belt who hate anything that's different.

Aye, I really wish that nobody had to go through such sour experiences with religious people. I've seen so many people talk bad about religion because of the shit they got growing up (and sometimes I feel like I really can't even blame people for having that sort of mindset, given how they were treated), but, I really just wish that bigoted assholes like these didn't have to leave people with these sorts of connotations on something that is supposed to preach love and tolerance...

Good to hear that these people didn't turn you into a raving anti-theist, at least.

Good to hear that these people didn't turn you into a raving anti-theist, at least.
Yup. That wouldn't have happened anyway. My grandmother and all my aunts and uncles are christian, church-going and event hosting and the like. I knew from a very young age that the christian religion teaches peace, not hostility. The church I went to didn't change my views on the religion, just on the people who twist the bible to support their own machiavellian needs.

What was the last thing that made you say "'Scuse me?"/"Ex-cuse me?" or something similar out loud

Mine was this:

0375516e7ad25ca7e8f693ec75ee56c7_650x.jpg
Watdafuq?

My Church experience personally was actually pretty ok.

My family were mild/casual Catholics, so Church was only ever a thing with them during weddings, funerals, or funeral anniversary.
So as a result my main exposure/experience to Church actually ended up being a Youth Group during High School, the guy who ran it introduced us to a ton of games including Magic the Gathering, Settlers of Catan, Dominion, Tackle Duck Duck Goose, Descent. Hell he even helped me put together my first magic deck (It was a devour deck) and got me four Dragon Broodmothers for it. :3 Stuff like Wii sword fighting and dodgeball were also common things we did there.

So by all intents and purpose my RL exposure to Religion and Religious people has been very positive.
The thing that made me an Agnostic Atheist was one day at 14 choosing to dig into the Bible myself for a few main reasons.

1. The previously mentioned Youth Group helped inspire me to learn more about my religion.
2. My Mom refused to answer any question with "You don't need the Bible".
3. A Catholic Grandparent I had back then had died only a month or so prior, which had me questioning the after life.
4. By mere chance, YouTube channels like TheAmazingAtheist started popping up in my radar.

Fast forward past two years on bible reading, joining an online church etc and I ended up coming out the other side Agnostic Atheist.
I ultimately found the Bible just couldn't agree with itself even, and that its claims conflicted too much with science.

The idea of 'a' god potentially behind the scenes? No evidence for it yet, but it doesn't conflict science either.
Specific claims the Bible makes though? Definitely conflicts with Science.

(It was a devour deck)
I prefer a good ol' Red/Black Rakdos deck.

Specific claims the Bible makes though? Definitely conflicts with Science.
That's mainly because the bible itself was written by a group of men through history, and has been edited several times to add or get rid of things that seemed ir/relevant at the time.

the guy who ran it introduced us to a ton of games including Magic the Gathering, Settlers of Catan, Dominion, Tackle Duck Duck Goose, Descent.
The one we had only had air hockey and pool. But I'd bring my N64 and play smash bros from time to time. I actually was introduced to magic by my sister and my brother in law.

That's mainly because the bible itself was written by a group of men through history, and has been edited several times to add or get rid of things that seemed ir/relevant at the time.
Oh I know. :P
Like I said, I spent about 2 years looking into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.