Screen Writing is a B#$@h

• Thread starter KuroBuros The Infected
  • Start date
K

KuroBuros The Infected

Original poster
In my 6 month university course, I have to write a first draft of a 40 scene script. Anyone ever try out screen writing?

As a huge movie buff with former delusions of screenwriterdom, I wrote a few in my teens that I never did anything with. It was fun, though. I bought a few how-to books on the process, as well as some screenplays of movies I liked (mostly Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino ones, since their films are so dialogue-heavy).

I imagine you've already become familiar with the three-act structure and the like? Anyway, good luck!

I adopted a similar writing structure for my role plays years ago. Setting a scene, dialogue, characters doing stuff, more dialogue, et cetera. If it helps, think of basic camera tricks you'd create the scenes with, like shot-reverse shot. When depicting actions, use two rules: Conservation of Detail, and "what would a panning camera shot be able to pick up on." Et cetera.

Writing script currently.

Is pain in my ass.

Read some of the best scripts ever written (use nominees and winners of best script at the Academy Awards). Go over some of the more powerful scenes. Pay attention to dialogue in particular.

As a Quentin-fag, read some Quentin Tarantino. Martin Scorsese. And I'm a huge, huge fan of the original Rocky script. Also love Clint Eastwood and Unforgiven.