Neophyte Cybermind
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. Slow As Molasses
Genres
Science Fantasy
([ OOC Thread ])

Though I have no intention of following the established plot, this is technically a fandom roleplay — the IP's so obscure and distinct from what I'd like to do here, however, that I'm not planning on treating it as such. Having a background in this might be extra fun for you, but there's no reason to fret if you don't, because honestly I'm revising a lot of the canon anyways.

Here's the quickie premise:
A comet known as Vulcan's Hammer was responsible for an extinction event on Earth; it was recognized as a threat long before danger was imminent, but as a result of its size and velocity, the impact could not be avoided. The first alternative was mass evacuation, but as this was a pre-space age Earth with a population in the billions, such a feat was unsurmountable.

So we selected two hundred of our finest and brightest and collected a gamete bank containing the germ of a thousand more for evacuation in hopes that they would give humanity a second chance someplace else. An AI-controlled sleeper ship called the Conestoga was sent off to search for a suitable haven, prepare it for colonization, and then wake the survivors.

• • •​

The catch is that onboard resources were dwindling before such a world could be found, and as a result, the pre-determined leaders were brought out of stasis early to figure out a backup plan. It was concluded that humanity would have to settle for something less comfortable lest it drift in eternity with no hope for resuscitation. A Mars-like world, later named New Terra, was chosen, and an unmanned colony was established until preparations for habitation could be made.

Eventually, waves of survivors were phased into the colony, which had already made leaps and bounds toward making a permanent home for itself. But before the Conestoga's entire compliment of survivors could be brought planetside, the AI remaining onboard fell out of contact unexpectedly, leaving a third of humanity's remaining potential to an uncertain fate.

Here I branch off from the canon storyline and start to mix canon plot with my own ideas, so I think I'll call this the part where the story starts. I might change that; if any of you are interested, we can have a chat (spoilers to be expected) and see if that's really for the best.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd put this up since it's been on my mind a lot in the past few months. This is a nostalgia thing, and I've always sort of found a way to roleplay it one way or another, so there's a lot of headcanon I've got to go off of to give this its own twist, which is why I really don't think of this as a fandom roleplay even though it totally is.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
So... I'm interested. Have you gotten any other takers?

• Love
Reactions: SamIO
No, not yet, but this has only been up for a couple days. :3

I got super eager, though, and went and posted the OOC Thread prematurely. ^.^;

UPDATE: @Lykaon
I just got a promising application via PM, so if you were worried about breaking the ice and ending up alone in cold water or something, you're all-clear! :D

If you're still interested, you can take a look at the OOC Thread and maybe think up a character profile. :3

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.