October Knight

Hi-def
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Fantasy, Horror and Sci-fi. I'll try basically anything though. I also love strange and unusual RP genre concepts. Different is good!
Recommend Sci-fi authors and books to other members

View attachment 10079

The fantasy/high fantasy genre is loaded with big names that everyone knows about, but what about sci-fi?

One of my favorites has always been Aldous Huxley, his most famous work being Brave New world, just about everything he writes is good.

WHAT SAY YOU, IWAKU?

Timothy Zahn is my favorite. I love his book Angelmass. A Coming of Age, Triplet, and Night Train to Rigel are all wonderful, too.

Okay who hasn't read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? You know the five book trilogy written by Douglas Adams!

There is a series of books by Scott Westerfield and the first is called Leviathan. I liked the first book and it has an interesting concept with steampunk and bio-engineering in the era of WWI. It is more young adult though but I still enjoyed it.

I don't normally read science ficiton but the series by Phillip Pullman starting with the the Golden Compass is a very good and interesting read. When I first started reading I got into Animorphs which is a very looooong series and is really meant for elementary students. But the series has a lot of adult elements in it too.

Call me a little bit classical, but I really like the works of Isaac Asimov, especially his original Foundation series. (By that, I mean the books which are not prequels.) I am also interested in the works of Philip K. Dick, but so far, I have read only one of his works, so I am still not quite sure about him. However, if you love non-physical conflict and are generally against violent solutions, Isaac Asimov is the man for you, his conflicts are simply amazing and very well-written.

Everyone should start off with the Science Fiction Hall of Fame A / B. The short stories / novelettes are not good because they are sci-fi, but they are amazing stories that happen to take place in sci-fi settings.

Despite loving the genre I have read surpisingly few science fiction books but the book of the first Star Wars movie caught my eye as a kid after getting hooked on Star Wars. Santiago; A Myth of the Far Future, a book about the famous out law Santiago by Mike Resnik is my favourite science fiction book, I love the story, the characters and the mystery of Santiago. The triology His Dark Materials competes with Santiago though as I enjoy the story, the characters and Philip Pullman's writing. I did like Animrphs as a teenager and had the first fifteen books and I really liked them back then, unfourtunatly I lost the books and so I can't reread them to see how I like them today.

Frank Herbert was an incredible man and I personally loved Dune.
Also, Kevin J Anderson's Saga of the Seven Suns was wonderful.

Some of Stephen King's sci-fi stuff is really good, like Dreamcatcher and even It.

Among the sci-fi greats, H.G Wells, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, Michael Crichton, Scott Westerfield and H.P Lovecraft are my absolute favorites.

You should all look into reading some books by Joe Haldeman I have only read a few of his books but they are fairly interesting. Most are novels and not series but two of my favorites are The Forever War and Old Twentieth. The former book takes place in the future where the human race has taken to the stars and began to colonize and expand except they end up meeting an alien race they know nothing about and are immediately launched into a war for reasons unknown. It follows only one main character as he travels through time by hundreds of years due to odd methods of travel. You get to see how he reacts to the changing of society into something he has never seen before. Imagine being born in a place where same sex relationships were uncommon only to come back to an earth where opposite sex relationships are now the oddity.

Old Twentieth takes place on a ship of human colonists as they are sent out into deep space. Except these are not just mere mortals. Humanity has discovered how to achieve immortality but to bide their time on the ship they enter a virtual reality simulator which can place them in any time within the 20th century. Except something strange has started to happen. People who enter the VR have begun to die and the narrartor who is an operator of the VR is beginning to notice that this VR may actually be acquiring intelligence.

Asimov. I think he was one of the first Sci-Fi authors I've ever read. It's amazing the feeling his work makes me feel.

I remember I first came across his work reading a short story in one of those boring books that teachers make you buy, that try to teach you grammar, social sciences and latin american history. I was- I think eleven years old? Ten? Something like that. Key Item was the story. I remember I read it once, then again, then again. And again. It felt as if my chest was sinking, but weightless at the same time. It felt, like wading in a swamp, it felt like losing my breath. It felt like a dream. It felt like I should start reading it again.

''Mom! There is this story in my book that is really good, you should see it!''
''Who's the author?''
''Eh-'' , I looked at the author, then back at her, ''Isaac... Asimov?''
''Bah! Asimov! How boring! Your dad likes it''

I should have read more Asimov, but books were hard to come by then.

-----

I'm not an avid Sci-Fi reader, despite me liking the genre a lot. (Actually, I should read more, lately...)
I've just finished a book, called One Hundred Percent Lunar Boy, by Phillip Tunney. It's almost surreal, and I can say I absolutely loved it. No, I can't compare it with Asimov, but I can totally recommend it.

Definitely going to agree with Super Cat about The Forever War. I love that book so very much.