Science claims to have broken the speed barrier--faster than light is now possible?!

S

Seiji

Original poster
"Scientists at the world's largest physics lab said Thursday they have clocked neutrinos traveling faster than light. That's something that according to Einstein's 1905 special theory of relativity - the famous E (equals) mc2 equation - just doesn't happen."--AP
(click for article)

This is HUGE! We've all learned that FTL speeds is impossible. Once you hit light-speed, you pretty much cease to exist as matter and break down into energy (from my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong). This has the potential of being one of the most ground-breaking moments of scientific history, paving the way for making science-fiction (once again), science fact.

Thoughts? Comments? Excitement? :)

You know, I would hope that this holds true. Because if it does, it can change a lot of things. Perhaps not NOW, but in the future, if we have a greater understanding of the universe, it could very well help us to evolve in terms of science. I honestly hope it doesn't turn out to be a fluke or an error.

I want my ship to go into warp drive!

Ehhhh... There was an earthquake and some tectonic drift was detected under the detector. If they make it happen again, great! if not...

ugDeU.jpg

I thought this warranted sharing.

Man, this has really become big news. But it's a good thing that people are challenging this. It shows that people are thinking critically, instead of following the bandwagon.

It HAS to be challenged! There's no other option, unless you want to just go ahead and shred every single astrophysics book in the world.

Seriously, if this turns out to be true, relativity as we know it goes out the window and means absolutely nothing. E=mc^2 is the foundation of a great majority of astrophysics, and if that equation is... well, wrong, then what else is wrong?

It HAS to be challenged! There's no other option, unless you want to just go ahead and shred every single astrophysics book in the world.

Seriously, if this turns out to be true, relativity as we know it goes out the window and means absolutely nothing. E=mc^2 is the foundation of a great majority of astrophysics, and if that equation is... well, wrong, then what else is wrong?

Everything you know is a lie, Seiji. EVERYTHING.

Everyone seems to be forgetting the observation itself is unreliable. Page 10 of their own paper stated the ground moved under their detector in the middle of the test. Thats why they're inviting others to try the same experiment to verify. For the moment its an exciting possibility, but not fact just yet.

True, Vay, and I'm not accepting it as fact just yet. This is why I like that they're telling others to try the same experiment themselves. Because if it -does- prove to be a fluke, then we'll know. But others try the same experiment themselves, and the results are similar, then it could very well mean the advancement of science itself. Maybe not -now-, but it will help us better understand the universe in the future.

I will quote an interview I saw when they were about to turn on the LHC.

The most exciting sound you can hear in physics if not "Eurika." That means you're right, which is boring, its "Well thats interesting." Science is most exciting when you're wrong, and you find that you're wrong.

Now now, don't be jelly Asmo. This thread was made first, after all.

When do I get to make love to aliens?

Doesn't that mean that we can now go back in time? I heard somewhere that if we can go faster then the sound barrier we can go back in time.

I HEARD ABOUT THIS. -late response to the thread.-
Mutton-Chops Man read it off his smartphone one morning to me. >:D AND THUS I KNEW.
good story, I know.

I love how this thread descended so fast from discussion, to Asmo posting his own thread, to people wondering when would they get to fuck twi'leks.

Man, screw twi'leks, I wanna get it on with an Elcor. Hurrhurr.