School Days

Brent got into the back seat and put his seat belt on as instructed. He sat there with a worried expression on his face, looking down at the floor board deep in thought. Why Kaleb? The question kept running through his mind. He was such a nice, intelligent person, eager to help someone he'd only just met. He had musical talent and a calming demeanor. The blond was surprised that nobody really approached him, or possibly want to harm him. The thought of doing something so terrible to him made Brent's stomach start to hurt. He'd definitely do anything he could not to let anything happen to him.

Once Kaleb got in and everyone had their seatbelts on she pulled out of the driveway and drove back to Jacobs house. Once there, and inside, Selina was up and talking again. She smiled at Kaleb. "Hey fire boy. Who's your friend?" she asked, not recognizing Brent. She seemed off still but the bell rang and Kaleb's mother went to get the door. It was Brent's mother. Selina looked at her and then to Jacob who gave her a reassuring look. They had Brent's mother sit down and began explaining everything to her. At one point she asked for proof. Kaleb's mother took out Selina's Tarot cards and handed her a seemingly blank card. "Selina touch the card," she said to Selina. The young fortune teller did so and it showed and the card began changing, and it showed Brent's mother's past, how she was pregnant with another child when she was marrying Brent's father, who died in birth. Selina even voiced the cards criptic saying and Kaleb's mother translated it for Brent's mother to understand. She had never told Brent or Brents father and no one there knew her. When Selina let go of the card the image faded leaving the black canvas that the card had been once before.

Brent had sat beside his mother, recollecting everything he had experienced. As he predicted his mother didn't believe any of them at first. But when her secret was revealed she grew a sickly color and clasped onto Brent's hand. The blond was stunned by the revelation. He couldn't believe she'd kept something like that not from him, but from his father. This, however, was all in the past and it would remain there. What was important now was to plan out what they needed to do next. "So now, you understand?...everything is real mom." He told her. She just nodded while almost in a state of shock. All of her beliefs, or lack there of, had come crashing around her and now her son was potentially in danger. She understood that it was Kaleb's life on the line, but just having Brent connected to the whole ordeal made her worry for her own son. She looked to Kaleb's mother and asked, "What can I do to ensure both of their safety?" Her grip on Brent's hand tightened involuntarily. 'Good, so she had at least somewhat accepted this' Brent thought.

"The only place safe for them, is somewhere, Kaleb has not been, so your new home maybe the best bet. Kaleb has only been in the city area of town," she said softly. "The Shadow man is connected with a lot of bad people and although Kaleb has to perform for Madis Gras, I'm going to tell the committee runner to have someone else do it," she said softly. Jacob nodded his head. "We'll keep you posted about Selina. She usually has visions just before it happens to warn us," Jacob said softly. Kaleb looked fearful and tired and he just wanted this to end.

"Yes, that sounds like a very smart idea. In fact, I insist. I don't want Brent out of my sight until this...this...whatever it is has been stopped." Brent's mother responded. He had a feeling like she was going to smother him while this was going on. He could tell by how hard she was squeezing his hand now. "Mom..uhm." he finally had to speak up about it. She looked down where he was looking at and made a small gasp, letting go and apologize. "Owning a private practice I have the ability to close-up for as many days as I want. I assure you everyone, I'll do my part in making sure that the two boys are kept safe in our home where no...Shadow Man, or anything can get to them." Just then Brent had an idea when she said she'd do her part. "Mom. Can you cover for us at school for the next couple of days then. If that guy's looking for Kaleb, then I'm sure he'd have eyes around the place." His mom wasn't thrilled by this idea. She hated her son missing school or her misusing her doctor's abilities, but this was urgent, "Alright. If it's okay with Kaleb's mother, then I'll do it. The two of you will have succumbed to food poison. Everyone knows my terrible cooking abilities so it's plausible. You're father will surely believe it." Both Brent and his mom agreed that dad wasn't to know about this. He was stressed-out and going bald over work and this would give him a heart attack for sure.

Selina's eyes glazed over and Jacob looked at her, taking her hand. "Shadow man... has something bad... something he doesn't know how bad it is...." she murmured. "We need to talk to Acheron..." she said her eyes refocusing and looking to Jacob. "No, that is not a safe or smart idea," he said rushed. "He's the only one who can handle it Jacob..." she said to him looking up at him. Jacob sighed while everyone looked confused, everyone but Jacob and his mother. "I'll talk to him, please take the boys and keep them safe," she said to Brent's mother. "Mom... Who is Acheron..." Kaleb asked. She sighed and looked at him. "I'll explain when its safe, but please, I need you to stay away from anything and everything that could shatter. No mirrors, no windows no glasses. It's very important that you stay away from those things alright," she said to him. She looked to Brent and sighed softly. She reached up and behind her neck, taking off a necklace. She lifted it out of her shirt, where it was hidden and she handed it to him. "This should keep your house off the radar for the time being," she said to Brent. "There are things in this world, that could harm you if you don't have this. Keep it with you," she said to him. She looked to Brent's mother. "You shouldn't order out until after Mardis Gras, anyone and everyone could hurt you and then them," she said. She sighed to herself knowing she'd have to go see Acheron.

(Acheron is from a book series called the Dark Hunter series, thats what I'm going with now)

Both Brent and his mother listened intently to the conversation. Brent kept looking to Kaleb out of the corner of his eyes. He just couldn't take his eyes off of him, believing that the other boy would vanish. When Kaleb's mother gave him the necklace he immediately put it on, nodding as she explained it's significance. When she also told them to stay away from combustible things like mirrors and windows, both Brent's and his mother's blue eyes grew. Their new home had lots of windows. Brent looked to Kaleb and asked, "I hope you don't mind us camping together in my new basement...? It's setup like an extra living room at least." He let out a small sigh and looked at his mom who had a guilty expression. They'd argued about having too many windows. "Right, no carry-out..." His mother agreed. This would prove to be a pain. They luckily had a lot of salad and sandwich stuff and snack food that she'd protested about having in the first place.

(Hmm...I don't think I've ever heard of that series)

(I recommend it if you love hunky guys with troubled pasts and women who empower them to rise to the occasion and grow a pair to save the women they love. I think there are about 30 books in the series and its not ending. Sunshine is one of the characters although I changed a few things about her. )

Kaleb shook his head. "That's fine with me..." he said softly to Brent. Kalebs mother nodded her head. "I'm gonna take your car Kaleb," she said softly to him. "By the way, I'm Ameli," she said softly to Brent and his mother. "Brent has Jacob's number and so does Kaleb. He will let you guys know what is happening," she said softly, worry in her eyes but she was determinded to make sure both boys were okay. "I can stop by later with food, if would like. I cook a lot," she said softly to Brent's mother. Jacob sighed, rubbing Selina's shoulder gently. She was scarred since she didn't know what was happening but she knew something bad was going to happen.

(I'll definitely have to check it out then n_n )

Brent gave Kaleb a sincere smile. He wish he could do something to at least cheer the redhead up, regardless of how naive that gesture was. He looked to his mom who was talking to the other. "Donna; Donna Mitchell." She caught Brent's stare and she let out a small sigh, "We would appreciate it if you could bring something over. Brent won't eat my cooking even during this circumstance and I couldn't possibly let Kaleb taste it either." She shook her head then, feeling the relief her son had for taking Ameli up on her offer. "I'm sorry to have to rush things, but we need to get home before Roger. I have to get his heart medication ready and we might need to move a few things out of the 'down stairs living area' before he's there. He'll be nosy and also want to help move things." Brent nodded. His dad was very inquesitive and liked to help. He knew his dad felt guilty about them relocating and being gone all of the time, so he tried to make up for it. The blond looked to Kaleb to see if he was ready.

She nodded her head. "I will come by with some food. I'll call you when i'm on the way," she said softly to Donna. She looked to Kaleb and went to his side, hugging her son and kissing his forehead. He hugged her back, fully expecting to never see her again and his chest ached from it. Kaleb looked to Brent when his mom pulled away and began talking with Jacob. "This is all too much..." he said softly to Brent, feeling drained from all of this. He just wanted to lay down and sleep.

"I know...I'm sorry..." Brent couldn't help but to feel guilty, as if him meeting the redhead to cause all of this. Donna stood up from where she sat and the blond followed her lead. She looked to Kaleb and asked, "Do you have clothing with you?" Brent answered for him, telling his mom that his stuff was in Ameli's car. She then looked to Kaleb once more and said, "Why don't the two of you go together and get your things transferred over to my car while we talk a little further." She didn't want the boys to hear what she wanted to say to Ameli and the others, knowing it only may cause more stress on the both of them. Brent took the hint and gestured to Kaleb to go. He would watch over him like a hawk.

Donna stood in the doorway of the house and watched after the two of them and asked, "This Shadow Man...what does he look like exactly? I would like details so I know exactly who or what we're dealing with. Can we go to the cops with such matters?" She would rather falsify information to the cops to get the man arrested, than to leave them in jeopardy.

Kaleb nodded his head and took the keys from his mom. Once they were both outside Ameli looked at Donna. "Here we have a photo of him," Jacob said, having a picture of the shadow man stealing something from Sunshines stand. He was a tall man, with shifty eyes and dark skin. He looked cajun un-like the group before Donna, who looked more greek then anything else. "His real name is Jackson Harper, but I don't know where he lives. Some people say he lives in the bayou, but no one really knows," she said softly. Kaleb had gotten his things and he looked tired as he sat on the car seat, the door open.

Donna studied the picture for a moment and asked, "Jackson Harper...Should I hire a private investigator to look into this? Money is but an object as far as keeping the kids safe." She wanted to know where the man lived, what he ate for breakfast, everything. She would find a way to stop him at any means necessary. "What about that man you're going to see...is he reliable enough to assist us?" She wanted to know what measures they were taking on their end.

Brent sat in the car on the opposite side. His door was closed and he was positioned to face Kaleb. "Hey...everything's going to be fine Kaleb. We're all on this. Just stay with me in my theatre room for a few days and pig out on junk food. I-" He stopped in mid sentence, looking at the expression on the other male's face and it hurt him. He couldn't explain it, but it physically hurt him to see Kaleb that way. "I-I'm so sorry Kaleb...it's probably my fault for this...if we hadn't moved here and I hadn't been so stupid...we'd never went to get my fortune read and you wouldn't be in danger...". That's exactly how the blond felt. He bit his bottom lip and closed his blue eyes to keep from crying.

Ameli shook her head. "That wouldn't be the best. The government would be all over this and would take Selina," she said looking to Donna. When Donna asked how Acheron would help she sighed. "He's not human... He can do a lot being what he is," she said softly. She sighed softly and looked to Jacob. "I need to go summon him. It's going to take a while so I need to start now..." she said to Donna. "You might not believe it but there are things in this world that have been around for thousands of years," she said to Donna. She went up to Donna and took Donna's hand. "You need to be prepared to do anything," she said to Donna.

Donna nodded, "You're right. If it got wind that there are...supernatural happenings like this, then the government would definitely step in negatively." As Ameli continued to explain, the woman's eyes grew with wonder and terror at the same moment. Her grasp on what was real and unreal was slipping bit-by-bit with everything that she was learning since her arrival. When she was told to be prepared, Donna's expression became stern, "I am prepared. As a mother who has lost a child it pains me to even think that something could happen to my son or to anyone else's. Oh yes, I'm prepared."

"Good. If you see a being that has fangs, similar to a vampire, you take this blade and stab it in the heart, or the head," Ameli said, Jacob coming over with a few sheathed daggers. Ameli took one and handed it to her. "Kaleb knows how to defend himself as well," Ameli said softly to Donna. She placed the dagger in Donna's hands, holding it firmly there a moment. "I know what it is like to loose a child as well. And I will not let either of us loose another," she said, a look of promise in her eyes.

Kaleb looked to Brent and shook his head, reaching his hand over and taking Brent's. "Don't start thinking that. It's not your fault. Understand me?" he said looking at Brent sternly, caringly.

(Earlier when I saw your new avatar I didn't realize it was you and thought someone randomly posted in here lmao)

Donna took the blade that Jacob handed to her. She hated violence, especially for being a doctor, but she would use it without hesitation if she needed to. Though she hoped that it wouldn't come down to this. "Brent doesn't. That child couldn't hurt a fly." she said in a sad, worried tone. He'd always been rather frail as a child. He never caused trouble. If she didn't stop thinking like this, the doctor would lose her composure. She she cleared her throat and looked to everyone, "If that is it, then we should be on our way. Those two being out in the car right now has me worried..." she turned and looked out the door again at them.

Brent slowly opened his eyes. He looked down at their interlocking hands and blushed. His gaze slowly wondered up towards Kaleb's face. His heart fluttered slightly when their eyes met. It was the first time he really looked at him. He was so handsome, especially in his eyes. "I-I understand..." he replied hesitantly.

(Lol yeah, I didn't like the picture I had of me before this one. I have to take another pic of me where I don't suck lol)

Ameli nodded her head. When Donna got outside, Kaleb looked up to see her and he got out of the car, closing and locking the door, his bag in hand. He gave the key back to his mom, locking the car before and then saying goodbye and that he would call her or text her as much as he could. He looked to Brent, his heart swelling just by looking at the boy. He could feel he was smitten by the blonde and he smiled to himself. It was like Brent was his ray of sunshine in this dark moment and it made him feel a bit better.

(Hehe I was thinking about using a real picture, but then thought it'd be funny ironic to use drawings I made of my Gaia avatars on here XD)

Brent had followed after Kaleb out of the car. He found himself feeling rather sad or disappointed by having to let go of the redhead's hand. Letting them say their good-byes privately, the blond went to his mom's Escalade. She left it unlocked. He got into the back seat because she had her medical kit in the passenger's seat, just in case Selina needed medical attention he supposed. He also felt more at ease sitting beside Kaleb.

Donna had got into the driver's seat and was looking in the rear-view mirror at her son. She never felt so scared in her life. She watched as he watched Kaleb and smiled. She knew that expression. It was the look of a young person in love. That made her heart ache even more. It would devastate him if something would happen to Kaleb and she feared the worse. But at the same time she thought to herself that there was nobody as kindhearted and compassionate as Brent and if anyone could save that other boy it was him.

(Yeah I should do that, but hey, I've had my own pictures up for a while so whatev's)

Kaleb let go of his mother and went to the car. Getting in next to Brent. Once in he car, his hand somehow took a hold of Brent's without him thinking, but he felt safer that way. He held his bag on his lap and looked at Brent a moment, giving his hand a reassuring squeeze although, he wasn't too sure how all of this would turn out so he could just be getting Brent's hopes up. He felt cheated. Like he had wanted more time. Not for himself... but to be with Brent. He already really like the blonde and he already felt like he couldn't leave him, even if he wanted to.