School and Family Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey. I'm internet taught. XD (Totally not proof that it works for anyone else. LOL)
No curriculum or guidance at all then? Everything just completely free-form, teaching yourself as you please? For your entire education?

No curriculum or guidance at all then? Everything just completely free-form, teaching yourself as you please? For your entire education?
No, I graduated from high school (though I graduated twice, once here and one in Japan because I was a year behind there).

However, I was reading before I was in kindergarten (English, not Japanese yet), and as an artist, I am 100% self taught, both in traditional and digital art.

If someone has the proper drive and determination, they can learn anything.

The Forefathers were self taught. George Washington was reading and writing in English and Latin by the age of 12. Eisenstein didn't graduate from high school.

There are various examples of people just teaching themselves as apposed to a standard school.

And those who didn't made it by farming and trading, and working for others.

I think people forget that education isn't an inherent right. It truly is a privilege.

No, I graduated from high school (though I graduated twice, once here and one in Japan because I was a year behind there).

However, I was reading before I was in kindergarten (English, not Japanese yet), and as an artist, I am 100% self taught, both in traditional and digital art.

If someone has the proper drive and determination, they can learn anything.

The Forefathers were self taught. George Washington was reading and writing in English and Latin by the age of 12. Eisenstein didn't graduate from high school.

There are various examples of people just teaching themselves as apposed to a standard school.

And those who didn't made it by farming and trading, and working for others.

I think people forget that education isn't an inherent right. It truly is a privilege.
Ok, but just because you can self-teach doesn't mean that a lot of people will.

Not to mention, you said you graduated high school -- surely you understand what I mean when I say that school offers a certain brand of discipline that self-teaching doesn't. It gives you a curriculum and you have to learn it -- a curriculum that, let's face it, lots of kids wouldn't try to teach themselves if they weren't in school.

As an adult, you have your passions and you can self-teach those, but, as a kid, would you really have learned everything that you needed to know on your own? Yeah, maybe some things (I know you said you were ahead with your reading level), but, I'm sure there are others areas that you might not have explored as diligently if no one gave you a reason to.

But, even if you did manage to self-teach everything you needed to know, not everyone is going to. Yes, you did mention examples, but not everyone is George Washington or Albert Einstein, now are they? For every brilliant success story of someone rising to the top purely based on their own merit, there will be hundreds of others who simply lacked either the means or the motivation and paid for it later in life.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Ok, but just because you can self-teach doesn't mean that a lot of people will.
For some reason, it didn't add my edit where I said "I know that not everybody can do the same. But those that should, should be allowed to."
Not to mention, you said you graduated high school -- surely you understand what I mean when I say that school offers a certain brand of discipline that self-teaching doesn't. It gives you a curriculum and you have to learn it -- a curriculum that, let's face it, lots of kids wouldn't try to teach themselves if they weren't in school.
Yes but I recognize as a working adult, that Reading, Writing, and Math on a basic level was all I needed to do in the real working world. If you could already do those things, then High School level Entry jobs were already within your grasp, and a lot of jobs that were a little tougher already taught you the basic skills to do them.

Ex- I worked in a warehouse by myself where I measured and cut carpet. Because the tags on the carpets were in Feet and Inches, and the machine only read things in Decimals, you had to be able to convert that. You didn't know it? Its cool, they taught you whether or not you needed too.

As an adult, you have your passions and you can self-teach those, but, as a kid, would you really have learned everything that you needed to know on your own?
I would agree. But according to my mother, I was drawing since I was three as well. I know I wasn't a Picasso by any stretch, but that passion clearly stayed with me until today.

Yeah, maybe some things (I know you said you were ahead with your reading level), but, I'm sure there are others areas that you might not have explored as diligently if no one gave you a reason to.
Yeah, maybe. But I don't believe that I should be forced into a school to learn them if I don't want to. And just because I don't learn it at 5 years old doesn't mean I wont be interested and want to teach myself at 7 or 8.

But, even if you did manage to self-teach everything you needed to know, not everyone is going to. Yes, you did mention examples, but not everyone is George Washington or Albert Einstein, now are they? For every brilliant success story of someone rising to the top purely based on their own merit, there will be hundreds of others who simply lacked either the means or the motivation and paid for it later in life.
Sure, but I think the reason we have less geniuses and more dopes is because of the correlation between less children out and about in the world exploring in, and more of them being forced against what they want to do in dusty old class-rooms with teachers who self aggrandize themselves over their "success" in life that are really failures and they fell back on teaching because they sucked at life.

Essentially, nobody values education, because its served to them on a sliver platter, and not something worth pursuing because its just handed to them.

Though, that last bit is mostly opinion. Except that teachers are (in a lot of cases) failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.