???
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
Online Availability
Shake a tin of dice and tell me what numbers they give you.
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Sci-Fi, Fantasy, an assortment of others. Ask and you shall receive (an answer).
Like the last exercise of the same name (which can be found here), I'm going to post some images, and I want you to describe what you see. Smells, sounds, sights, etc. Everything that comes to mind. You're welcome to write two sentences or a few paragraphs-- whatever works!

contest6571_banner.jpg

rainy_city_night_1_by_wilbur127-d33bm1x.jpg

Phoenix.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Starlighter
For #2:
Tonight you see in sepia tone as the streetlights stand isolated from the neon and movement of the city. The avenue of Old Town thins — strangers have their backs towards you, so this is the occasion to cross the street, alone and unrecognized.

From the park strip to the sidewalk cast under the shadow of the public library, there is a prevailing slick, sophisticated blackness about this evening. The glow overhead hints at churning clouds under the cover. The air is thick and everything towers over you. The library has lost its familiarity in the dark like the road itself. The building becomes a mausoleum as the antiquity of the avenue coalesces with this newfound foreignness. The trees you crossed from transition like claws latched into the heavy obscurity of the sky. You swear, against the distanced sound of traffic, there is a murmur of thunder.

It is all very "cinema," adventuring (as you would define it) in the manner that you are, and then coming full-circle to the street you believed you knew best. There is an enrapturing thrill about your circumstances this starless morning. Your shaking breaths escape you, and you fantasize them as drafts off a cigar. You, the grizzled PI, standing at the street corner, recounting on the days before the case.

The cold is anxious and infectious. You pat the wound beneath your coat with stressed insouciance. You're waiting, lurking in the shadows; you're an action hero, now, something of a cowl, a total badass. You know this city. You're not scared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Image one ..reminds me of Pittsburgh...))

A fisherman drops a line over the railing and inhales deeply of the morning breeze carrying the scent of freshly baked bread from the bakery on the other side of the river. The sound of the barges tooting and bumping barges up and down the river echoed in the valley as he toyed with the line.

Cars could be heard rushing behind him on the freeway and across the bridges into the city. everyone in such a hurry to get somewhere so they could slave away and rush back home again. He smirked out a grin as he toyed with the line a bit more, poor suckers. He nodded to the man who came up beside him, "Morning Lou."

"Morning Harry...biting today?"

"Nope...guess they're feeling as lazy as I am."

"You lazy?"

"I know it might be hard to believe Lou...but I am feeling right lazy today."

"I better jot that down then. Has to be a first."

"You might be right Lou...you might be right." he laughed. "I was just remembering all the time I spent in all that traffic being upset and angry at the world. How stupid was that?"

"Well not too...look what you have now..."

He had plenty, more than he could ever use really. But, he also had cancer and that was putting more than a few things in perspective for him. "can't take any of it with me..and now that I ahve time to enjoy it all..I find time is not my friend."

Lou looked confused, "Not sure I catch your drift there Harry."

"Lou...I have cancer."

"Damn Harry. That's tough luck. What's your prognosis?"

"Terminal."

There was a long silence as they both toyed with their fishing lines, "How long?" Lou asked.

"Less than six months."

"Damn Harry...I'm so sorry. I had no idea. If you and Bev need anything..."

"Thanks Lou. Watch over Bev for me when i'm gone. Bring Carol over to see her ok? She's going to need friends. She thinks this is all a mistake, but I know different. i can feel it." He had always been a man of action and planning, and now that he could feel things coming to an end that planner was at work. "Right now though...I just want to be lazy and fish..and watch the barges go up and down the river."

Lou nodded, "I can do that with you Harry...and I'll watch over Bev...Carol wouldn't have it any other way ayway."

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Dipper