Scarlett Johanssen and Ghost In The Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, see, this is different. Here, let me make a chart.
  • A. You think this movie's casting choices are bad because the actors and actresses are generally shitty, because they're bad at their jobs. I'm liable to agree with you.
  • B. You think this movie's casting choices are bad because the actors and actresses do not reflect the race you want. That's racist as fuck, get out.
If it's racist to point out that the last Fantastic Four remake turned a white guy into a black person for no reason, then it's racist to point out that Ghost in the Shell now stars a white woman.
I agree.
But me not actually being one of the people who care much either way about the movie, I'm not sure if the issue really is a 'she's white!' deal or if it's more complicated than that.
So I'm reserving judgement on the complaining fanbase for now.
If someone wants to make an all black or all asian version of Arthurian legends, let them. I'm pretty sure Black Lancelot would be fucking badass as shit.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Brovo
Those fight scene's seem off...

Like, every time in that trailer someone's meant to be zipping around by the time I realize where they are they jump to another shot making me start all over.
The anime never had that issue though mind you, I was able to follow everything there fine.

Full disclosure?

I totally want an Athurian movie with an all Jamaican cast and the regional dialect and slang intact.

• Love
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Full disclosure?

I totally want an Athurian movie with an all Jamaican cast and the regional dialect and slang intact.
Ai man! Do you want to find Excalibrah!

• Love
Full disclosure?

Ai man! Do you want to find Excalibrah!
Oh my God. I have accidentally spawned the idea for one of the greatest culture-based comedies of all time.

We need to send this to Hollywood. This is actually something they probably won't fuck up, since they just need to get a bunch of Jamaicans on a few sets and get them going.

I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE.

PSA:

Media in most forms effect human beings, even if it is in small subliminal ways. Representation have the effect of providing rolemodels for kids, See: Comics and books. Anyone who claim otherwise is willfully ignorant. Point; Superman fighting the KKK in a radio drama was hugely effective in exposing the Klan and stemming its massive resurgence. To discredit the effect media has on our society is to completely ignore the history of propaganda. Of satire used to redicule goverments and characture to belittle minorities. I see long posts that basicly boils down to "Why are you mad asian roles are given to white people. Media doesn't mean anything." It's a way to basicly kick a entire group of people to the curb becouse they dare to speak up. Yet somehow, "PC" culture is the censoring mindset. No. Time for ol' hippie with a opinion to speak a little.

Media means a whole lot. Representation is piss poor, and it hurts people not represented. It legit hurts the way people perceive them. Media and art in all forms have have always helped smooth things over. Helped people get used to things. Helped ease the collective hysteria we call society into paradigms. If this was not the case, then books would not be burned and banned by scared dictators. Again. Willfully ignorant to claim Media doesn't matter.

Yes good actresses matter to. But There are plenty of kickass female Asian actresses who are a better fit then ScarJo. One basically looking like a carbon copy of the good Major. The arguments made here is generally the same circlejerk I see everywhere the second a person of color or other minority dare speak up. Its a toxic echo chamber where "logic" is applied to push peoples opinions down and discredit them. Logic that does not hold up because it is inconsistent at best. Logic that the same people will ignore the second it becomes convenient. The same stuff spat by "Ranters" on youtube who play on peoples insecurities and fear of being perceived as something negative. There is no will for betterment, of considering the weight of the collectives actions- Its individuality were it fits the mold, and where it benefit you and nobody else.

The lack of white rappers is because Rap is still new, and deeply rooted in Urban Culture. A culture born from primarily black neighborhood. It has a reflective nature in many ways. A way to spread a message. Like all music it evolved and now there are tons of different kinds. But the origin, fresh and in most peoples mind, is still there. The big White names are people who either shared the harsh upbringing of a project kid (Eminem) or people who are incredibly talented and thus accepted by their peers (Action Bronson. Yelawolf). Movies have been around for longer. And have a racist as fuck history towards anyone not-white. There isn't a real comparison to be made here. Its faulty logic and a strawman argument if I ever saw one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's make one thing abundantly clear: Scarlett Johanssen is not going to suck in the role because she is non-Asian. She is going to suck in the role because she is one hundred percent Scarlett Johanssen. Leave the SJU politics at the door. It's simply a case of bad casting.

Lets make something clear; Its a problem past bad casting of talent. And if not here, where? Sorry, but not sorry. When there is walls of text that's all about trying to tell people not to be upset over representation, I get to say my "SJU" piece. IT's a forum, it has open discussions. Not closed, belittling attempts at dissing anything running counter to the whole Anti-PC thing internet is currently obsessing over.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Z4PnMWC.gif

Let's dance, caballero. Like old times.
Media in most forms effect human beings, even if it is in small subliminal ways.1​ Representation have the effect of providing rolemodels for kids, See: Comics and books. Anyone who claim otherwise is willfully ignorant.2​ Point; Superman fighting the KKK in a radio drama was hugely effective in exposing the Klan and stemming its massive resurgence.3​ To discredit the effect media has on our society is to completely ignore the history of propaganda.4​ Of satire used to redicule goverments and characture to belittle minorities. I see long posts that basicly boils down to "Why are you mad asian roles are given to white people. Media doesn't mean anything." It's a way to basicly kick a entire group of people to the curb becouse they dare to speak up. Yet somehow, "PC" culture is the censoring mindset. No. Time for ol' hippie with a opinion to speak a little.5​

Media means a whole lot. Representation is piss poor, and it hurts people not represented. It legit hurts the way people perceive them. Media and art in all forms have have always helped smooth things over. Helped people get used to things. Helped ease the collective hysteria we call society into paradigms. If this was not the case, then books would not be burned and banned by scared dictators. Again. Willfully ignorant to claim Media doesn't matter.6​

Yes good actresses matter to. But There are plenty of kickass female Asian actresses who are a better fit then ScarJo. One basically looking like a carbon copy of the good Major.7​ The arguments made here is generally the same circlejerk I see everywhere the second a person of color or other minority dare speak up. Its a toxic echo chamber where "logic" is applied to push peoples opinions down and discredit them. Logic that does not hold up because it is inconsistent at best. Logic that the same people will ignore the second it becomes convenient. The same stuff spat by "Ranters" on youtube who play on peoples insecurities and fear of being perceived as something negative. There is no will for betterment, of considering the weight of the collectives actions- Its individuality were it fits the mold, and where it benefit you and nobody else.8​

The lack of white rappers is because Rap is still new, and deeply rooted in Urban Culture. A culture born from primarily black neighborhood The big White names are people who either shared the harsh uppbriging of a project kid (Eminem) or people who are incredibly talented and thus accepted by their peers (Action Bronson. Yelawolf). Movies have been around for longer. And have a racist as fuck history towards anyone not-white. There is not real comparison to be made here. Its faulty logic and a strawman argument if I ever saw one.9​
1: But how far does it affect the individual human being beyond emotional responses? Unless brainwashing is involved, I've never heard of a sane, stable individual, going on a mass shooting spree because they played too much GTA. Similarly, I've never met a person who was incapable of discerning the difference between stereotypical characters on screen, and themselves, who was not in some way horrendously handicapped in a mental fashion. If interactive media--which uses more senses than visual media and engages more of the human brain--is proven, time after time, study after study, of being absolutely incapable of changing people in any significant way at a subliminal level, then how does TV work better? TV--which, I might add, engages less of the human brain by its very nature.

Again, this is the kind of equation that makes no sense to cherrypick. Either media affects everyone at every level, or it does not.

2: I'm not willfully ignorant for pointing out that fictional media does not shape human beings, and be careful where you levy such insults. Human beings shape fictional media. Media is the outlet by which we voice how we feel, or share in common ideas, or demonstrate new ideas to the masses for them to accept or deny of their own volition. As for the role models point, there is a thing that exists in the world called a "parent." If this "parent" is incapable of sitting down with their kids for, what, a total of 15 minutes? To talk to them about the fictionalized nature of TV, then you have a case of shitty parenting. All of media should not be forced to change because some dipshit had a kid and refuses to raise that kid properly. The role models in their life will be the least of their concern the day they realize that their parents don't actually love them.

3: And yet the KKK is constantly pushing out media to try and ingratiate themselves as heroes, and yet, the very same general public which accepts the message of "fuck the KKK" from Superman... Rejects counter messages by the KKK. There have been video games produced that propagate white power bullshit and movies that have done the same thing as well.

... Aaaaand yet people don't seem to be influenced by that media as much as they were by superman punching members of the KKK.

It's almost like individual people were capable of discerning the message within the comic and the messages the KKK sends out, and discerning one message as being better than another. It's almost like they have to have the capacity to understand that the messages media gives them may not always be accurate before they can choose whether or not to accept the message that the media is sending them. Granted, media can be used as a mouth piece to distribute really awesome ideas, or really shitty ideas, but that by no means somehow causes people to stop possessing a consciousness and become a mindless drone. I refuse to see people as being that insanely stupid.

4: The difference between, say, government propaganda and a fucking comic book, is vast. Normally, propaganda is supported through violent brainwashing, forced reeducation, and a restructuring of society through legislation and the law to create the "utopia" that the propaganda spews. It's not just words on a page: It's words on a page used as the cassus belli to silence and kill opposition. It's why you'll find me raging and fighting against every attempt to silence or bully individual people into doing a collective ideal, no matter the intent, political slant, or source of the ideal. The moment someone tries to legally enforce society to do as they wish is the moment I stop considering it mere media and consider it a sincere threat to people's lives. It's why I don't give a shit if some white powered piece of trash actually did fall out of Hollywood. We, as a people, as a civilization, are smart enough as individuals to reject bad ideas, so long as we are not forcibly indoctrinated into them, or punished for doing so. If someone actually did make "Mein Kampfy Chair" in Hollywood, it wouldn't suddenly cause people to embrace the fourth reich: It would be mocked, derided, spat upon, and it would completely fail in theaters.

5: It is absolutely not a way to kick people to the curb just because they "spoke up." Oh please. Be smarter than underhanded insults, Hellis, I respect you and everyone else in this conversation. The only reason I took the kiddie gloves off in my initial response actually is specifically because I respect the person who said those things and felt them mature enough to handle an extremely painful and detailed criticism of their views. At the end of the day, in spite of them not really agreeing with me, I by no means think any less of them. They hold a different idea to my own: That does not make them inferior. It does not even necessarily make them wrong from an objective standpoint, as I mentioned in my first post, right at the start, I'm passionate about this kind of subject matter. Ergo, I have a slanted opinion of my own.

Hell, in the past, I have criticized Hollywood for failing spectacularly at diversity. "It also doesn't help that the Oscars are more of a reflection of a bigger potential issue (depending on what you consider an issue--I personally do), and that is: The general lack of a significant black presence in Hollywood. Aside from a handful of big time actors, I can't really think of anyone." It's not like I'm defending the hiring practices of Hollywood in general, nor do I believe Hollywood to be any kind of perfect. There are totally flaws in how it works, and ways in which one can improve the system. I don't think that picking on a particular person for being hired in a particular role is the way to go about it. Attack the system, not the individuals within the system. It's not Scarlett's fault that was was born white, and until this film is released, I have no reason to believe that this has anything to do with Hollywood hiring practices. It could very well be that the casting director simply took a look at the role and went "hey we need a female cyborg. Scarlett is available, isn't she?" They went for the big name. They went for the money maker.

I am completely for criticizing this shitty system. I am completely for advocating for reforms to that system, and encouraging and praising diverse role choices. I am simply against picking on individual targets when those individuals have, at no point, stated that race was a factor in their hiring practices. I'm against preemptive mob justice out of a righteous sense of entitlement, not against reform. There are better ways than this. We're not even enemies, I swear.

6: Again, what those dictators were doing was suppressing everyone else from expression, and violently attacking everyone who refused to capitulate to their authority and views. The only reason their shitty ideas could propagate was specifically because they forced society to only ingest their views. Comparing book burnings to Scarlet getting a job is fucking insane. It's not like Scarlet getting to play this role is going to delete the entire anime industry and result in every copy of Ghost in the Shell prior to this to be burned in a giant DVD pile. Hell, it's not even going to stop asian americans in the future from getting roles in Hollywood. Why are you even drawing this comparison? It's too extreme to make any sense.

7: Again, your choice to pick an actress based on their race for this role is entirely your own. The casting director disagrees with you and has chosen an actress they feel can fit the role, and whose name will probably bring in more dosh to a franchise that is otherwise a relative unknown by the majority of the movie going public. It's the same reason Benedict Bumblefuck got to play as Khan in Star Trek: Into Darkness. And yet, Benedict Bumblefuck did a pretty good job as Khan. He conveyed the emotional state of the character well. It is not necessarily fucking racism. And to imply that now all asian americans will be unable to associate with the struggles of the character because the skin tone of that character has lightened up a few shades is fucking insulting and patronizing to every asian american that is capable of coherent thought. Which, I'm going to likely safely assume, is the vast majority of them. You don't get to decide how over 14 million people think and feel, white man from Scandinavia. Just like how I don't, as a white person from Canada. I am not going to speak on their behalf. I wasn't elected to. If they don't want to watch this movie, they won't. They'll watch something else.

Atop this, this sets the precedent that the recasting of a black man as the human torch in Fantastic Four was also racist as fuck, when there are so many talented white actors who could have taken that role... Unless white people for some fucking reason get less rights than everyone else. Which would be absurd.

8: Really? That's what you think of everyone who disagrees with this? That everyone who takes issue with people being mad about ScarJo being a white person in this role is part of a "toxic echo chamber" that seeks to silence people of colour?

I want you to take a look at my posts. Feel free to point out, anywhere you like, an instance of me saying that people of colour shouldn't get roles in Hollywood, or that people of colour shouldn't be allowed to speak and have an opinion. Because if you can't find even one instance of this, than you're lying blatantly to try and run my reputation through the mud, and considering the respect I have for you, that would be quite frankly upsetting. Trying to take my entire argument and turn it into "lol false logic by a guy who gets mad at every person of colour for speaking" is a really shitty tactic, and we're seriously bordering on having this thread closed if you keep perpetuating it... Because that's literally going for personal accusation territory against everyone who holds a view different from yours.

Hell, I even said outright that I'd love to see black people in more traditionally white roles, like an all Jamaican ensemble cast of Arthurian legends. That would be fucking amazing, but I guess I just hate all people of colour, don't I?

9: You realize I did not at all argue for more white people in RAP, right? Or even more racial diversity, right? The point of that argument was simply to say that if a market does not service my interests (ex: most of RAP), than I will simply not engage in that sector of the market. I will engage in a different sector, or I will create more material of my own in that market.

If Hollywood is a racist as fuck institution, stop buying their movies. They're completely dependent on your business. Support businesses that openly promote racial diversity instead. It's not like there's a shortage of them. There are indie film makers all over the world who would might literally fucking kill to get a budget even 1/10th that of Hollywood. Attacking individual people who may or may not be guilty of any racism at all because the system is flawed makes no sense. Attack the system, not these fucking individual people. ScarJo just wants a paycheque. The film makers just want to sell a movie. Until they say otherwise, I am not inclined to believe anything.

In fact, I don't believe or disbelief much of anything.

I only verify.

Anyway, next time you'd like to dance, let me know. I enjoy it. Even if you do seem to think of me as nothing more than a close minded racist who secretly hates it when people of colour get to star in movies.

• Thank You
Reactions: SacredWarrior
I've learned well-enough to not try and reason with people who deny there's a problem with white people playing Native Americans, the entirety of Egypt, directors who would try out CGI to make someone appear Asian rather than hire an actual Asian actress, and then blow the discussion off as "SJU" talk the moment it arises. This whole attempt is really just a lost cause, lmao @Hellis

It's only going to end like every other discussion in General Chatting. Differing opinions, walls of text, herpderps /thread

Reactions: Hellis
Paramount Pictures denied some of the claims, telling Screen Crush: "A test was done related to a specific scene for a background actor which was ultimately discarded. Absolutely no visual effects tests were conducted on Scarlett's character and we have no future plans to do so."

So basically, this was Jezebel doing what Jezebel does best.

Zto8s2X.gif

And who the hell says I have no issue with this? If they actually do try to use CGI to make Scarlet look more asian I will definitely have an issue with that. That's basically fucking black face all over again, but with computers. Then I would actually be on your side.

Anyway, next time you'd like to dance, let me know. I enjoy it. Even if you do seem to think of me as nothing more than a close minded racist who secretly hates it when people of colour get to star in movies.
Real talk. No. I do not. But I see you as problematic in that you go on a wordy rampage every time a opposing opinion rears its head. Yet in the same breath will denounce PC as mindless censorship. The Irony is palpable. You show signs of the same victim complex I used to see you attach to many feminists and "SJW's" (See, Claiming I think you're a racist out of the blue.)

Everything that's not agreeing with you from a leftist perspective is treated like an attack. And you will then proceed to shit all over and ridicule that person behind their back.

Real talk. I did it to. But I stopped. Because I found out people were doing it to me. And I found out how destructive that mentality is.

You also take to trying to spin the entire thing as me discrediting an entire race the second you have someone bring up representation. You needed a entire wall of text, where much is poorly veiled attempts at character assassination, to drive home the same point just in more words. JUST LIKE OLD TIMES. You do not follow your own rules you levy against others, so nor will I follow them. Your argument hinge on capitalism being unwavering force of good. But it is once more the argument of "Dont like it, don't watch it." That is never, ever gonna work for minority groups, as the market will simply ignore them and they will continue having to deal with poor representation. Again, old friend, your logic is patchy at best. The market is a tool, one you can use to great affect. Like the companys boycotting entire states over unfair, unjust Anti-LGBT Laws. But those are GIANT COMPANIES with employees who will be effected by the laws. Capitalism and "Suck it up logic" does not magically solve a problem. And we need to stand up for those misrepresented until it does. You make it out as if I claim to speak for anyone but my self. I don't. I show solidarity where I consider it needed. I Point out fallacies in argument that is downright dangerous. Such as your claims that media has little effect on the individual.

And yes. Media still effect us just as much. Just look how much people qoute and use things like ranty youtubers to make their point for them. That is yet another form of media. Internet is great that way, if can give a voice to the most bizarre arguments. But it also highlight exactly what I was saying about media having a profound affect on us. When you start to spout the rethoric of your favorite youtubers or talkshow hosts, then you are clearly affected by it. When you get tired of not seeing your people depicted as anything but tired old stereotypes or killed off, you are affected by it. On, dare I say, a individual level.

But fine. Let's dive head first into this shall we. People affect media? Damn Skippy we do. It is tailored and made over and rewritten to fit prevailing societal norms. But it also reinforces current societal norms, it normalizes and trivialize things. Media reflect in many ways where our society is currently looking. Ever heard "Chill bro, I am just quoting a show" when someone begins using language that is downright offensive to the people around him. I have, at work infact. So has my sister, and most my friends. So lets combine your argument with my one, what do we get? A cycle. Input changes output, output enforces or affect behavioral patterns. These people then effect the "market", and it repeats. It's almost like symbiosis. We change media, media changes the way we see things.

Oh. And as for having opinions on people that are less then savory.

Since we are talking about old things. You went so far as to claim I didn't grasp english well enough and that is why I thought so highly of Undertale. Told it to your friends on skype. I have the convo from people who were upset with you. You should be careful when trying to trash people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I tried being reasonable and respectful. I'm sorry for the things I said about you months ago, but I can't go and rewind time to slap myself across the back of the head for those things. It's up to you whether you wish to forgive me for them or not. I've never claimed perfection, and if I've ever upset you or anyone else, my door is always open to talk to me.

I wanted to talk about the subject matter. If you want to turn this on a retrospective about things I've done, it would be better to take it to PM's, or hit me up on Skype.

Otherwise, I'll leave this conversation. There's no reason to make it about someone's personal character, and I'm sorry I've offended you to the level that our relationship is irreparably damaged. Maybe one day, you'll find it in yourself to forgive me for things I've said and done. Maybe not. I still think well of you either way.

See you later, space cowboy.

• Useful
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Real talk (since that means srs bzns).

Hollywood needs to go back to making original content instead of rehashing.

Could care less about Johannasen until I see the movie. Either way I'm probably gonna go re-watch the older film.

Why can't they make their own shit instead of rehashes? Give me a new animated GitS over live action with cgi any day.

Could care less about Johannasen until I see the movie. Either way I'm probably gonna go re-watch the older film.

Why can't they make their own shit instead of rehashes? Give me a new animated GitS over live action with cgi any day.
Becouse this is what Hollywood does. It's the same problem everywhere big money is involved. Brands and IP with known names bring in sure money in the eyes of those in charge. Why risk things on original stuff that don't have brand appeal when you can make simple money on rehashes and sequels.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Becouse this is what Hollywood does. It's the same problem everywhere big money is involved. Brands and IP with known names bring in sure money in the eyes of those in charge. Why risk things on original stuff that don't have brand appeal when you can make simple money on rehashes and sequels.
I know, bruh. I know. Been that way in gaming since MW2 as well. It's always money. Seems to strip the life out of anything it touches, movies, books, comics, etc etcetc.

Money makes the world go round. Even if it's not supposed to go that way.

Reactions: LunaValentine
I know, bruh. I know. Been that way in gaming since MW2 as well. It's always money. Seems to strip the life out of anything it touches, movies, books, comics, etc etcetc.

Money makes the world go round. Even if it's not supposed to go that way.
GOing around is worthless when it is in a circle! Then again. Circles are round!

Long story short?

It's a huge financial risk to try original ideas, and the numbers prove it. People claim to want original movies, but all of the top grossing movies are remakes and sequels and what not. Original movies are lucky if they make their money back, and it's a damn shame, but ask yourself how many times you went to a movie in the last few years where it wasn't a remake, adaptation, sequel, or attached to a big brand like Disney or Pixar?

I... actually can't remember the last movie I saw that fits that bill. Problem is, for me at least, I only go out to the movies a handful of times a year, like let's say 5-8, tops. There has to be something that catches my eye or I've been looking forward to. So far this year, I've only seen Star Wars (sequel), Zootopia (Disney film), and Deadpool (comic book adaptation).

So yeah, everyone says one thing but the reality is quite another.

Nothing will beat Stand-Alone Complex though. In my opinion anyways. Which raises a VERY important question for me: WILL YOKO KANNO AND ORIGA'S MUSIC EVEN BE IN THE DAMN MOVIE?!!! D: I wanna hear this damn it!

Long story short?

It's a huge financial risk to try original ideas, and the numbers prove it. People claim to want original movies, but all of the top grossing movies are remakes and sequels and what not. Original movies are lucky if they make their money back, and it's a damn shame, but ask yourself how many times you went to a movie in the last few years where it wasn't a remake, adaptation, sequel, or attached to a big brand like Disney or Pixar?

I... actually can't remember the last movie I saw that fits that bill. Problem is, for me at least, I only go out to the movies a handful of times a year, like let's say 5-8, tops. There has to be something that catches my eye or I've been looking forward to. So far this year, I've only seen Star Wars (sequel), Zootopia (Disney film), and Deadpool (comic book adaptation).

So yeah, everyone says one thing but the reality is quite another.
Yepp. I love independant small movies, sure. But I am a fucking slave to marvel movies at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.