Saving The World In Spite of Ourselves

Dante flinched away from Lilth and withdrew the chewed-up arm.
"Don't touch me," he muttered.
Instead He walked over to the window and leaned on the solid, ornate framing. Down below he watched the Queen show Zoduz and Nyx around the gardens much as she had done when Shola had brought him. He wondered what she was telling them. When he'd first come the Queen hadn't been very forthcoming with information, only telling him that he had been chosen to help save the worlds, all of them, and that once the others were assembled she would explain everything. Naturally suspicious of everything anyway, his hackles were even more raised at such important information being withheld. Good news didn't stay cooped up long and it worried him that there might be a good reason the Queen was waiting to have them all in knee-deep before telling them what was going on.

And what could Lilth possibly know about any of it? She'd had even less time to acclimate; at least he'd had a solid month of bouncing around the palace and prying information out of Shola (who was the most loyal secret-keeper he'd ever met). He only knew that somehow his fundamental makeup as a being had changed when their ritual had happened. She'd accidentally called him a Purifier once and that had been the end of any information flow. Were they all sacrificial lambs, then? Was that going to be the big reveal?

He scrutinized Lilth from the window and frowned. Her situation with them was far different than his. At least his life had been in the shitter before he arrived and coming had saved him from execution. But it had looked like she'd had something of a life going for her before all that shit went down. If he knew what sympathy felt like Dante would have realized he was feeling sorry for her, but as his social skills stood he felt a little nauseous and blamed it on only having tequila in his system.

"So your guess is as good as mine about all this. I think it's time I paid the Queen another visit though. You know how to get into the garden? I'll be down there."

He opened the window and was suddenly over the edge, nimbly climbing down the facing of the castle despite his shoulder and arm. Silently he landed behind the party and it would have remained unnoticed except for Zoduz's sharp instincts. He crossed his arms and leaned on a tree as the three turned to face him and offered a perfunctory, slightly predatory grin to the queen.
"Showing the newbies around, huh? I hope I didn't miss any of the orientation, like why we're all here," he said flatly and the Queen flushed at his casual impoliteness. Briefly she wondered how he and Zoduz, for sharing such a distasteful profession, were so un-alike in manners.
"I will explain everything when everyone is assembled. I believe I've already mentioned that to you," she replied tartly.
"Yeah, but the thing is, your highness, I've been quite awhile on this thin little promise and I'm starting to get a little pissed," he replied, stepping up to her until their faces were inches apart. Several guards started up from their posts and began to close in, nervous and on edge.
"You know they can't stop me," he murmured quietly and the Queen's face blanched, her lips a thin, hard line across her face.
"I do not like to repeat myself," she said stiffly and drew herself up to her full height, looking down the bridge of her nose at him. Not scared easily Dante didn't budge, waiting out her conviction until Lilth's presence in the garden drew his attention away. Not wanting the guards to use her as leverage he backed down with a wry grin and stepped back to lean against a white column.

"And where are these "others"? I think we all want answers soon," he finished, glancing over at Lilth. As he spoke a cry was raised at the front gate and the guard party, along with Blaze, Piper and Shola, stumbled in followed by a wave of smoke.
-------------------------------------------------------------
EARLIER

"You'll be able to keep them at bay at least! Thank the goddesses!" Keta said urgently to Blaze as the Whisps circled them in, cracking, popping, and groaning unnaturally like the wood of an old house. Piper squeaked and shuddered, but also summoned a bright light in her hands that instantly drew their attention.
"We're not far from the city walls!" a guard yelled. "If we can make it there we'll be safe!"
"Can you and the girl keep them at bay until we get there?" Keta asked and Piper nodded, looking up to Blaze for reassurance.
"Time to use that fire," Piper said and tossed her ball of light out into the crowd of Whisps. One shrieked and began to chase it and that seemed to set off the others as they barreled towards the party. At the far edge a guard was caught in the arms of a Whisp, the creature squeezing the poor woman until her bones broke and then devouring her whole. The others were more fortunate, moving in the protection of Blaze's fire and Piper's light until they made it into the city walls. At the boundary to the city the Whisps began to twist and writhe, hurriedly digging themselves back into the ground. The party made their way into the walls of the palace courtyard and were met by the Queen and the other Purifiers with astonished looks on their faces.
-------------------------------------------------
The Queen shot Dante a smug look and then hurried over to the party as Shola was removed from the litter, hands over her mouth.
"The healer's down at the ocean stabilized her, but she needs treatment now. I'll take her to Imal," Keta said and hurried away with Shola in her arms. With some effort the Queen restrained herself from following them and instead motioned for Blaze, Lucas, and Piper to join the crowd standing around her.
"Dante, as asked, here everyone stands assembled. All of you, rest tonight. Tomorrow morning I will speak to you all."

Without another word she turned on her heel and stormed into the castle, a guard stumbling over himself to follow her. Dante shrugged it off and turned to Blaze and Piper.
"Well, that was helpful. Looks like we're going to be one big, happy family. Fucking fantastic."

While viewing the gardens with the queen and Nyx, Zoduz noticed something climbing down the window. As he turned he saw that it was Dante but ignored him. As he landed it was to quiet for his liking so he turned straight at him as he did so the queen and Nyx followed suit. Zoduz watched as Dante squared himself up to the queen, automatically Zoduz went for his shrunken but released he lost all his weapons when he was taken to custody.

Zoduz never really socialized with anyone but he has seen video's of his father and mother when he was a baby. Those first few moments he watched, they were polite and treated everyone fairly, it even looked like, they were never assassins to start with. Zoduz's thoughts went quickly and wildly through his head, it was so much for him to take in, all his life Zoduz has been focused on revenge and it was all he knew. He managed his first kill at he age of 8 which was his instructor.

The Instructor was the one who was hired to kill his parents and train Zoduz up. Zoduz killed the instructor by accident while he was in rage. The instructor kept taunting him about his mother, his father, and his bad eye. There was only so much a kid can take before he snapped and being half orc, he went on a frenzy. Zoduz was found repeatedly stabbing his instructor and was pulled off him. Zoduz was thrown in a cell for a week, while they try and work out what happened.

Now here's Zoduz in his first real socialized environment with the queen and it was pleasant until Dante turned up. Zoduz thought Dante could be an assassin himself especially how he was so silent hitting that floor. As Dante spoke the words

"You know they can't stop me,"

Zoduz gut was telling him he could especially since he's still healing. Zoduz clenched his fists together but his eye was fixed on Dante, he noticed he only backed down when Lilth came into the garden, he broke his gaze when the gates opened and smoke filled the area. He watched as more people were coming into the garden and he thought *Being an assassin less hectic than this*.

As everyone broke up and did what they have to do, some to the healer and the queen back inside he overheard Dante once again moaning once again

"Well, that was helpful. Looks like we're going to be one big, happy family. Fucking fantastic."

Zoduz had enough he quickly ran up to him and hit Dante across the face which made him fall to the ground. Zoduz stood over him "Watch your...." Zoduz pointed right at him "....fucking attitude". Zoduz stormed off into the castle and mumbled "Fucking asshole". He could of added more but he didn't want to stick around. Eventually he found himself in a library inside the castle. There was rows of rows of books but the main thing he saw was the fireplace with an open fire. He walked over to the fire and sat down in front of it cross legged staring into the fire. He whispered "Sorry mother, Sorry Father"

• Love
Reactions: Midian and Kura
"Don't touch me."

Lilith quickly snatched her hand back, eyes widened. "I'm sorry.. Shouldn't you have it looked at though?" Her gaze followed him as he walked over to the window. A few moments passed in silence as she looked around the room awkwardly, unsure of how to proceed in her current situation. She had accompanied Dante long enough by now to know that trying to pry any further, but also didn't know much more than that. During her glances back and forth around the room, her gaze clashed with his and her eyes shot to the floor as he frowned at her.

"So your guess is as good as mine about all this. I think it's time I paid the Queen another visit though. You know how to get into the garden? I'll be down there."

Before she was able to stand and protest, Dante had already disappeared out the window. Lilith glared in his general direction and sighed angrily, blowing the stray hair away from her eyes. She walked over to the window and looked down at the group, waiting to make sure no one would be able to notice, then smirked as she followed the same path he had just taken to the garden. Even without words, Lilith could tell as she approached that Dante didn't seem to be very well liked around these parts. First he had a gaggle of Healers cowering against a wall, and it now looked as if he was trying to find trouble elsewhere. It wasn't long after Dante noticed her presence that things settled.

"And where are these "others"? I think we all want answers soon."

Always one to appreciate irony and exhausted by the string of random happenstances that had filled the past day or so, Lilith quietly watched as the next set of events unfolded in front of her. The loud cry, the crowd of people toppling into the gate, and the smoke that followed shortly thereafter. She wasted no time in making her way as close to Dante as she figured that he would allow. Upon further inspection, Lilith realized that the two who had originally accompanied Dante to her tavern were part of the group. As the injured woman was carried away, she turned her attention t the Queen as she spoke.

"Dante, as asked, here everyone stands assembled. All of you, rest tonight. Tomorrow morning I will speak to you all."

Slightly disappointed, Lilith sighed and watched as the Queen disappeared from sight. As usual these days, her thoughts were quickly interrupted by a familiar, unenthusiastic voice.

Lilith gasped and jumped back as Zoduz raced forward and punched Dante, taking him to the ground. Despite her fear of what might happen, she fell to her knees and reached out to him, careful not to touch.

Dante slowly sat up and cracked his jaw, licking the blood off his lips. Ignoring Lilth he rolled onto his feet and was on Zoduz's trail in a flash, following the other assassin into the library. He found Zoduz sitting in front of the fire and smirked when he heard Zoduz whisper
"Sorry mother, Sorry Father"

Dante quietly picked a book up from one of the gilded tables and chucked it with neat precision at the back of Zoduz's head, knocking him forward but not quite into the fire.
"You've got guts slugging me like that. Are you mad I didn't curtsy to your beloved Queen or pissed that unlike you I'm not bitching and moaning about a family that likely sold you into all this? Kids are a tidy profit, bet you were worth at least a few pizza dinners."

As the book landed squarely on the back of his head and knocked him forward. He span around quickly while grabbing the book and rose it above his head but thought he'd better let him finish what he was saying.

Are you mad I didn't curtsy to your beloved Queen or pissed that unlike you I'm not bitching and moaning about a family that likely sold you into all this? Kids are a tidy profit, bet you were worth at least a few pizza dinners."

That really pissed Zoduz off, no one talks shit about his parents. He threw the book knowing he'll more and likely dodge or catch it but with the book thrown he ran towards Dante while picking up a chair on his travels and smashed it across his chest.

The chair went into pieces and all he had left in his hands was a leg of chair in each hand. With the force of that blow it sent Dante into one of the bookshelf making most of the books fall on top of him. He shouted at Dante "YOU KNOW SHIT ABOUT ME".

Zoduz threw with his left hand towards Dante covered with books, it didn't make any impact to Dante but he wanted a hand free. He pulled his eye patch and thrown it to the floor.

His eye from underneath the eye patch was cosmic black, looked like a black void when you stare into it. It looked strange comparing it to his other eye which was a beautiful bright blue eye.

Zoduz stood waiting for Dante to get up still holding tight to the chair leg. His thought was only on Dante and the surroundings he could use against him.

Dante pushed himself out of the books and shook his head, still grinning sardonically. The black eye made him nervous and he tried to keep from looking at it for too long, instead focusing on the chair leg and his immediate surroundings. Dante favored light, quick weapons and so wasn't inclined to look at the chairs or marble busts as potential weapons. Not bothering to hide his movements Dante flicked the blade Lilth had given him into his hand and laughed.

"I know plenty of shit about you. You're weak, forever stuck bawling your eyes out about two DNA donors that weren't even there for you. That let this happen to you. What, did you think you were entitled to loving parents? To being a person? You're still a little green if you think that," he spat and threw the knife so that it stuck squarely in the wooden chair leg, barely slicing the web of skin between Zoduz's thumb and forefinger. At the moment Zoduz was reacting to the knife Dante darted around his other side and buried his knee in Zoduz's kidney as he cuffed him around the head, knocking him back into a table. The marble bust slid off and hit the floor with a heavy "thud" that echoed in the vaulted ceiling. A twitch raced over his shoulder and crept up to his mouth.
"Tchtch. As long as you're still crying about all that, you'll won't be worth anything as an assassin."

Zoduz dropped the chair leg as he got kneed in the kidney and into the table. He chuckled at Dante while pushing some of the debris of himself. "Please I HAD loving parents, don't assume I'm the same as you". As Zoduz pulled himself up he stretched himself out and actually was feeling better within himself. "What's up Dante, didn't your mummy want you, is that why your bitchy than a woman on PMT"

Zoduz braced himself knowing if he was right, this could hurt.

"Loved you enough to let you live like this? Sure thing, whatever helps you sleep at night. I know which dumpster I came from," Dante replied, another twitch shaking his grin. Dante stepped on the chair leg and pulled the knife out and flipped it rightside-up, lunging at Zoduz's throat with it.
"I think they can stand to miss a few Purifiers!"

Zoduz was right and Dante lunged for him. He quickly lifted his leg up and stamped the wooden flooring underneath which caused one beam to lift up and hit Dante in the balls. Dante went down and Zoduz casually walked up to him and snagged the knife from him. Zoduz pushed him to the floor and stabbed the knife through the hand so his hand was pinned.

Zoduz shook his head and knelt on his other arm "Now, if I wanted you dead, you'd be dead already. So don't try that again" While putting all his weight on his other arm he glared at him with his Black eye "Now I have your unwanted attention....." He paused for a moment and thought Dante didn't want to hear his life story but yet if Dante stood up again, Dante will try and kill him again so instead he had to try interrogation.

He thought *1st time for everything* Zoduz hit him across the face ".....Now erm.... what's your beef man and I know it's just not me, so you have mummy problems, mine got killed when I was 2 for fucks sake"

Thinking about his parents made him clench his fists, his black eye was turning pure red but Zoduz wasn't aware of it.

"Good for you," Dante ground out and spat a mouthful of blood into Zoduz's face, wrapping his fingers around the hilt of the knife and forcing it up until it was free of the wooden floor. In one swift motion he'd buried the blade between Zoduz's ribs and wrenched it around, leaving a jagged gash along his side. He plunged the knife in again farther up and forced Zoduz onto his stomach, pinning him to the floor with bloody hands and sinking his teeth into the exposed flesh just above his armor. With a shake of his head he tore the flesh and, bloody hand slipping on Zoduz's arm, he muttered with an equally bloody mouth against Zoduz's ear:
"No one gets to hit me anymore."

Lilth got to her feet and raced behind the two assassins as quick as she could, but to no avail. She had lost them. She spent a good part of five minutes scrambling from room to room frantically.

"I've got to find them. If I've bitten him, he could be changing soon.. It's already obvious he has a temper.. and if he gets too angry he could change too.."

Just as she began to think she would never find the duo, a very soft echo of a scream caught her attention. She perked up, pausing for a moment and trying to fix her attention on the source of the noise. Once was was sure, she sped off in the direction from which the voices came, skidding on the slick palace floor as she snatched the door open. Breathless, she stood in the door of the library staring wide-eyed at the splatters of blood on the floor and the fact that Dante now had Zoduz pinned ... and was eating him?

"Shit." Not having many things to choose from, Lilith yanked her boot off of her foot and threw it as hard as she could, pelting Dante in the back of the head.

Zoduz felt the pain from the knife but held his tongue. He automatically tried to hold the knife with Dante so it wouldn't move. As he bit into him and tore the flesh of him he cringed with that. He had to kill him now its either him or me with that thought his eye went a deep dark red

"No one gets to hit me anymore." Dante said

Afterwards a boot came flying and hit Dante, as he was distracted with that He howled with pain as he shoved the knife deep within himself so it jabbed through and pushed hard onto Dante which made him go into the air. He stood up quickly and side-kicked him as he fell back down. He placed his hand over the knife deep inside his ribs, one hand over his shoulder and glared as Dante flew through the air and into.... into... His eyes turned back to its deep Black "Shit" he replied as Dante went crashing into Lilith.

Zodus went to his knees and was now struggling to breath and with so much blood loss and still losing blood, he didn't have the energy anymore. With his final words he whispered "Sorry Lil...ith" and he Blacked out breathing slowly.

Reactions: Midian
Dante gave a strangled gurgle and was off Zoduz in a flash, on his feet and alert. When he saw that it was Lilth some of the bloodlust and anger went out of his face and he scooted away from Zoduz, wiping his mouth on the back of his arm. Two steps towards Lilth and the pain he'd been ignoring caught up to him, causing him to sink into a nearby plush chair and mumble something incoherent. On the heels of Lilth came two guards and a frazzled healer who quickly set to work taking care of Dante and Zoduz. Dante removed the arm guard over his split hand and allowed, grudgingly, the healer to fix the hole in his hand. Underneath the kevlar armor were dense bruises from being gnawed on by the werewolf, but no broken skin. Once the healer had finished with him and moved on to Zoduz Dante shoved Lilth's boot against her chest and brushed past her, stalking down the hall and passing a locked door that he paid no mind to in search of a quiet room to sleep in.

Inside the locked room the Queen sat by Shola's side. She had exchanged her royal ermine and gold for her nightdress and faded shawl whose pattern was that of a great blue spider stretched across her back. The healers had already done much work on Shola and she smiled at the Queen, propped up on pillows.
"Do you remember this?" Queen Amilah asked, fingering the frayed golden fringe of the shawl.
"I made that for you the winter machi bugs got into the furs," Shola replied. "It was quick work, I don't think it really did the job."
"I was much smaller then and it covered a lot more of me," Queen Amilah laughed and squeezed Shola's hand. "It was a gift from you. That was enough."
"I'm glad you liked it," Shola said simply and leaned her head back against the pillows. For once her long blonde hair was uncontained by her headscarf and flowed freely over the white cotton.
"It seems as though they are all here at last. Tomorrow, if you are well enough, I would like to talk to all of them."
"I'm sure I will be. Mokimbo might be a thick-headed Moran, but he's a good healer. I'll be fine."
"If I had others half as trustworthy as you I would not send you away from me again, Shola. Irriam."

Shola smiled tiredly at the familiar title and clasped Amilah's hand warmly. Amilah removed the shawl from her shoulders and gently wound it around Shola's hair and head, tucking it at the nape of her neck.
"I know you are more comfortable this way," Amilah said gently and touched her lips to Shola's forehead before quietly departing for her own quarters.

Outside in the garden Piper gasped as a sullen-looking Dante came across them on his way to the other side of the castle. He regarded Blaze with a hard face and gave a jerky nod of acknowledgement, but passed Piper over like the shadow of death and was gone as soon as he was seen back into the foliage.
"He's creepy," Piper muttered. "Why don't we look for our rooms? Keta said they were up in the tower, didn't she?" Piper asked, tugging on Blaze's sleeve.

Blaze squinted slightly as Keta spoke, half of which was caused by the impending reality that himself and Piper were supposed to hold these things off the group, and half because Piper had already conjured a ball of bright light next to him and his pupils were rapidly adjusting. The guards attempts to re-assure the party fell upon deaf ears as Blaze fixated on the wisps surrounding them.

"Can you and the girl keep them at bay until we get there?"

"I appreciate the sentiment in asking, but I am really not seeing the other option you are offering should I refuse." Blaze snarled. His hands lit ablaze in a flash off orange as he began to send clumps of fire through the air, usually a lot more refined and controlled than this, but given that they are on the move and the abilities of these creatures are unknown it would have to do. He stuck to defensive tactics, sending waves and lines of fire at the ground as they retreated, attempting to slow down the assault until we reached our destination, keeping a close eye on Piper to ensure she remains safe from the wisps and his fire. Blazes senses were working overtime to keep the multiple enemy's at bay, his head jerked to the scream coming from his right and he pulled an expression of utmost fear as he watched the edge guard disappear into the monster. Although he had never met these people before, he felt somewhat responsible for the guard as he was tasked with keeping the wisps at bay, Blaze's hands drew close together as a deep red ball grew between them, after a couple of seconds it shot forward leaving a blurred, fast fading line, going straight into the wisp causing it to spontaneously com-bust. He continued to exert himself right up to the point of bursting through the gates, his body releasing large amounts of smoke and his breathing was frantic. He looked up at the strange new scenery as his heart pounded and his head spun, unable to focus on anything Blaze found himself looking vacantly at a well dressed woman ushering him to gather round.

The next moments seemed to happen slowly for Blaze, various people came and left the courtyard in different fashions, storming, chasing, hurrying. As he stood he lent forward placing his hands upon his thighs, struggling to catch his breathe, smoke still pluming out of him. *I used too much, its one of the first lessons I teach my students, never use to much power all at once, it can cause serious harm and fatigue to your body.* He stood back up to full height, his head was light and his hearing seemed to all flow into his head without being processed, A rough looking man gave a nod in his direction as he passed, Blaze's eyes opened and closed slowly as he blinked. His attention finally drew to the slight tugging on his arm causing him to lean slightly more on one leg, Blaze looked down at Piper as she spoke.

"He's creepy, why don't we look for our rooms? Keta said they were up in the tower, didn't she?"

He looked at her, hearing what she said but unable to focus and process it, her face took a series of positions from, below, alongside and finally above him before he blacked out.

Reactions: Midian
Following the scuffle between Zoduz and Dante, Lilith occupied the same chair that Dante had earlier, absentmindedly fiddling with her boot. She had seen his bitten arm when the healers were working on the two, and it was obvious that she had drawn no blood when she had bitten him. She felt better, but this didn't mean all was well in her mind. As she stared off into nothingness, she thought of the people she had killed in her anger and how long before now she had been able to go without hurting a soul. Before she knew it, she was no longer sitting in the library of a grand palace, but was now in a small, dimly lit hut. The only light came from a small fire that had been set in a makeshift fireplace, and a pot containing what she assumed was that night's dinner simmered over it.

Muffled music pounded outside the small windows, most of which were flooded with firelight. It was obvious that a grand party of some sort was going on outside the walls, and Lilith stood. Despite her consciousness, she was no longer a beautiful young woman but a young child. She heard a familiar voice speaking a language now foreign but dear to her heart, and she turned to see the smiling face of a dark haired woman followed by that of a large, muscular man with pale hair and a painted face. When the man spoke, it was soft and calm. A sound that warmed her body from the inside out.

Her parents.

The child cackled with glee as both of her tiny hands grasped her father's, and he picked her up and set her on his shoulders as they exited the hut to join the festival outside.

Several hours passed, the village danced, sang, and ate throughout the night until nothing was left but the dying embers of the fire and the moonlight that drowned them. Back inside the hut, Lilith sat between her two sleeping parents as she giggled softly and played with a small grasshopper that had managed to find it's way into her bed. She followed it as it hopped, pouncing and barely missing time after time until the child found herself in the common area of the village. As children do, she wandered around, finding entertainment in whatever she could. She sat, scribbling in the sand with a stick until a sharp sniff at the nap of her neck caught her attention. She turned, her blue eyes meeting with a very large pair of yellow ones as a low growl filled her ears.

What happened next, even in such a vivid memory, was still very blurry to Lilith. A wave of growling, blood, pain, and screams. Screams that woke the entire village. Several warriors darted frantically towards the scene, Lilith's father leading the pack. With a cry he tackled the wolf-like creature to the ground, stabbing it in the heart with his blade as two others ran to his aide. Lilith was scooped into the arms of her mother and quickly taken inside, the last thing she saw being the blurred image of her attacker's body going limp.

A loud clang jerked Lilith out of her sleep. She was no longer a toddler. She had reached her teenage years now, as was currently shivering in the corner of a dark cell. The loud noise was announcing the arrival of a visitor-- one that she had seen all too often these days. Shaka, the Daal Chief's personal healer stood before her now in his usual overly-ceremonial gown that he wore as his only means of gaining respect. He glared down his crooked, painted nose at her and grinned as he allowed the whip in his hand to unravel to the floor.

"I've spoken with our leader, and it seems that someone has been killing the livestock again. I've told you, you damned animal, you are not to touch anything inside the village. As hesitant as he was to agree at first.. I've managed to persuade him that a good beating will make you come to your senses." Shaka nodded to his accompanying guards and waited as they seized Lilith by her upper arms.

"I had no choice! You feed me nothing in this cell, but post guard along the borders of the village so I can't escape. I'll starve!" Lilith pleaded softly, but was cut off by a sharp blow to the cheek.

"SILENCE. For some reason, your mother and father believe that you can be cured of this illness and have pleaded with our leader to spare you, but I know what you are. The only reason I haven't disposed of you like the animal you are is because I have been directly forbidden not to."

The healer's frown now formed an insane grin across his face as he raised his whip, then struck the child several times before dropping his weapon to the floor and kneeling in front of her. "You're a monster, but you're not immortal. You will starve, and you will die. If you were smart, you would beg for death so that it may come more swiftly to you. What do you have to live for? You will never see your parents again. It would be too.. dangerous." He placed his lips to her forehead, sniffing loudly at her hair as he ran his fingers through it. "Too bad, really.. you're growing into such a beautiful young woman..." With that, he snatched her head down, stood, and walked out of the cell.

CLANG.

Lilith gasped as reality raced back to her. Dark cell walls were once again replaced with shelves of book and straw covered floors replaced with those of marble. She looked around to make sure no one had approached during her dream, and pulled her boot back onto her foot. She shook her head and she stood and stretched.

That was long ago.. you'll be able to control yourself soon..

She went to adjust her clothes, only to realize that she was still wearing the same, shabby, baggy dress that Dante had shoved on her earlier in their adventure. She needed new clothes if she was going to have to show up in front of the queen tomorrow, and darkness was beginning to fall. With little hesitation, she darted back down the hall and through the garden, careful to avoid any guards until she reached an abandoned wall just shy of the castle gate. Using the tree as leverage, she soon disappeared over the wall and off into the night. She knew the area well, and her home was nearby. She would get in, grab the things she needed, and be back by morning. After a small trek through the woods she reached a small shabby cabin and entered, checking her surroundings once more before closing the door behind her and lighting the fireplace.

"Healers have already been dispatched to attend to the assassin and the fire-wielder and two guards have been sent to find the man and woman," Imal said in hushed tones, the dim flicker of the taper only lighting a small portion of her face. She cupped the flame with one hand to protect it from a listless draft and worried her bottom lip.
"Your highness?"
"Can they do it, Imal?"
"The spell, did it choose people who could complete the mission, or were they chosen by something else? Or anything at all? Are the people out there the saviors of my land, or are they just people unfortunate enough to be shown that the end of times is coming? Imal, you're a priestess. Have the goddesses forgotten about us in this hour?"

Imal was silent and her eyes cast about in the darkness of the room as if an answer lay somewhere on the furniture.
"You don't have to answer me. Maybe my humor will improve tomorrow morning. Goodnight, Imal."

Imal dropped a brief curtsy and left, shutting the door tightly behind her. The hall was silent and empty and when Imal looked up to the sky through one of the tall windows she saw only stars, glittering coldly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Piper dozed in a chair next to Blaze's bed where the healers had left him to rest and recover from the exertion of the earlier battle in the field. Her gangly legs stretched out across the rug and stopped just short of the warm pool of light made by the fireplace. On the windowsill a dark nightbird preened its iridescent feathers and watched with reflective eyes the bright moon emerging from behind an iron cloud. Below the same moon Whisps circled the city walls, facing odd directions and oddly still, silent with anticipation.

A guard's arrow pierced one's head and the bird fled the windowsill.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The scene was similar in Zoduz's room. Only a thin sliver of moonlight illuminated the tiny room, barely splashing across his still hands and the lap of the healer's apprentice that watched over him. Her honey-colored hair was lank and held back in a simple ponytail and her pale pink shift was wrinkled. She looked as though she hadn't slept her entire life, but unerringly her bottle-green eyes watched him. Outside the sudden flight of a bird startled her and her face moved into the sliver of light before she relaxed again. The man had been in bad shape when they brought him in, but her mentor had largely restored him to good health. He reminded her of another man that had come to the palace not so long ago, sure his life had already ended and that he was in some place called "Purgatory". From the whispered rumors that followed him around she'd learned that he was one of many people who killed other people for a living, like the man in the bed. It was hard to believe when she watched him sleep; his face was so peaceful and only occasionally disturbed by passing thoughts. She rose stiffly from the chair and moved to the window, looking down at the waving white ring of Whisps at the city walls in the distance. Something small and dark parted them briefly and then it was gone into the perimeter of the city. She settled down into the chair again and folded her hands, waiting patiently for him to wake up. Morning would be warming up the sky very soon, she figured, and at that time something big was supposed to be happening in the palace. Vaguely she wondered what.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dante had watched Lilth leave the city and silently struck out after her, too curious to stay in the castle and nurse his grudge against Zoduz. The night air was cool and damp as he glided through the tall grass after her. Down the path he dashed after her, the murmur of the grass covering up his nearly-silent footfalls. Night wind sifted through his hair as he dashed after her and something light and giddy welled up inside of him for just a moment before subsiding again. When he reached the little home he examined the exterior first, circling the house before quietly letting himself in.

Not normally as much of a snoop, Dante was dying of curiosity as to what sort of place she came from and what a normal home looked like. This place was so vastly different from his home and he couldn't get enough of the warm, welcoming, non-threatening people. Hell, people even asked him how he was doing. People he didn't even know. It boggled his mind and so when he saw her leaving the city walls he couldn't help but follow to see where she was going. He slipped in a window and began poking around the little living area, finally settling on a collection of books and picking one up. He was so intent on smelling the pages that he didn't hear her re-enter the living room. Almost sheepishly he gave her a crooked grin and replaced the book on its shelf.
"Hey."

Outside there was a small commotion and a royal guard rapped at the front door.
"You both are needed at the palace at once! Please come with us!"

Dante rolled his eyes and with a conspiratorial smirk at Lilth went back out, hands up in mock surrender.
"Should've told us we couldn't leave," he said archly and followed the guards back. As they neared the palace he shuddered at the collection of Whisps milling aimlessly around the walls.
"We're going to have to make a run for it in," Dante said as he began scanning for the clearest path through the Whisps and into the walls.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Part Two will be coming tomorrow! Until then, please look at the OOC thread and don't reply yet!)

Without warning Dante grabbed Lilth by the wrist and began dragging her on a haphazard course through the Whisps, narrowly avoiding their iron-brittle grasps by degrees and moments. They became a white blur around Dante and Lilth and the only sound they could hear was the rush of their panting and the hammer of their hearts in their ears. The green and white blur of the landscape abruptly gave way to the ivy-covered walls and suddenly with a jerk she was up and over his shoulder, with only
"You wouldn't have made it," as an explanation when they arrived in the niche between the drawbridge chain and the wall. He crouched there for a minute, getting his bearings, before dashing down the other side of the chain. Near the bottom he faltered and quickly dumped Lilth into a nearby cart of hay before landing on his side and rolling a few feet along the cobbled ground. Smoothly he rolled onto his feet and waited for Lilth to climb out of the cart before casually strolling back to the castle, every now and then glancing to see if she was keeping up.

The sky was beginning to lighten up with the coming dawn as they made it into the castle grounds. Already the castle servants were buzzing around with tense purpose and Dante frowned in confusion as they made their way into the palace. As they rounded the corner they were met by the Queen who smiled at Dante and motioned to her antechamber.
"Everyone's waiting," she said primly and then glided ahead of them. Dante rolled his eyes and followed her back into the chamber to find Blaze, Piper, and Zoduz assembled in newly-repaired clothing. Dante gave a half-assed wave to Zoduz and arched an eyebrow at Piper, who shrank nearer to Blaze. The Queen motioned for them all to follow her and led them down a narrow, winding hall that abruptly opened into a tall, wide chamber. Windows stretched from the ceiling to the floor and flooded the chamber with morning sun that cut crystal paths into the marble flooring. In the middle of the room was a dais inlaid with crimson, lapis, and gold that greedily devoured the sun to display as its own shine. Shola, in full armor of the same colors stood on the dais, arms folded neatly behind her back. Her hair was wrapped in a new, bright crimson cloth and there was a warm smile stretched across her newly-scarred face. She bowed deeply to the Queen and then gave a low nod to the assembled party. The Queen joined her on the platform and cleared her throat.

"As promised, it is time for me to tell you why you must be here. Why without you there will be nothing to return home to if you decide not to fulfill this task. This journey. Unfortunately to explain it I must relate what has brought these dire events to pass: Long ago when the goddesses formed our world they did so in the void of darkness. As the world was formed the darkness was pushed back so that our world could exist. Now that darkness has begun to grow under the direction of the Dire Queen, an entity that defies nature and the goddesses. It has poisoned the caskets the goddesses slumber in and now the worlds themselves. Many of you have come from worlds beyond here and know your world is just one of many.

"In an effort to save our world and yours we tried to scatter the caskets away from the epicenter of the darkness's poison, but it was too late. Now without the intervention of the goddesses the worlds themselves are poisoned and will soon give way to the chaos of the void. We tried to purify the caskets when scattering them did not help, but the ritual went awry. Instead of purifying the caskets it gave people, you, the ability to purify the caskets yourself. Inside of each of you resides an immense power of healing and light. Within you is the future, for without you there will be nothing.

"Some of you have already parted ways and others may still yet join you on your quest. But you who stand before us today, please. Save our world. Save yours. Whatever you have done, whatever you are, wherever you have come from… Now you stand here as a savior. Although she is not a Purifier, Shola stands here today as a servant of the goddesses, a Guardian, but also my most loyal guard. I have entrusted her to guide and protect all of you in this quest. The Guardians too have become scattered and purposeless without the goddesses and if you can save them then the worlds will again thrive as they once did. The monsters you have seen are but a fraction of the darkness's corruption.

"In each world there is a casket. You must make your way to it and purify it. Where the caskets are we no loner know; they have all been dislodged and moved no doubt by the Dire Queen. There will be perils and I cannot guarantee the safety of any of you. But if you do not join us, there will be safety for no one. In a moment Shola will open a portal to the first world. There is little magic here, so the darkness has had little to feed from. It will be weak and subtle here, but do not underestimate it. If you wish to be a part of this, step through the portal. Otherwise we will arrange for a way to return you to your home. Shola, please," the Queen finished and Shola drew her sword, holding it up into the early morning sunlight.

It merely reflected the light at first, but soon began to glow and hum all on its own until it shone in the wide room like a small sun. In one fluid motion she plunged it into the middle of the dais. The gold trimwork came flying loose and built itself into a doorway in midair, the parts swirling and rotating as the air in the center of them began to water and shimmer. Soon the middle seemed to distort entirely until there was only a molten gold blaze that pulsed and hummed gently. Shola resheathed her sword and stepped into the portal, motioning for the others to follow her.

When they emerged on the other side they were struck by cool, salty air and the unmistakable smell of sea water. The ocean lapped gently at the edges of the tiny island they were crowded on, their only other company a set of train tracks. Dante edged away from the water and grimaced before his attention was caught by a train whistle in the distance. Soon the dull grey engine rolled to a stop on the island and the conductor leaned out of the window.
"You folks waiting on a ride?"

Shola nodded.

"To the largest city, please."

Lilith rummaged through the chest of belongings in her room, unaware of the assassin lurking around her home. She quickly changed into a more suitable outfit than her circus tent of a dress and grabbed her sword, tying it to her belt. She yawned, wandering back into the living room of her tiny cottage and jumped at the sight of Dante. Where the hell did he come from? Was, was he.. sniffing her books? He gave a short reply to the glare that she shot his way.

"Hey."

Lilith barely had time to even open her mouth to speak before guards came rapping at the door. Following their demands, she followed Dante out the door and took one last look before allowing her home to fall out of sight, no idea of when she would see it again. She walked in silence, then gasped as Dante grabbed her wrist to guide to her through the Whisps. Upon reaching the castle wall, Dante tossed her over his shoulder and, despite her protests, carried her over the wall. She grunted as she toppled into the hay cart, but quickly recovered her balance and followed him closely until they reached the others in the group. Upon further inspection of the room, she noticed the long-eared woman from before was now standing at attention at the Queen's side.

Lilth stood and listened intently to the Queen's explanation, and had to admit that it really was nowhere near what she was expecting. Not only had the Queen sought after her, but the reasoning behind it being that she could possibly help save the world? This was hard to believe, really, considering what she was.. besides a Purifier, apparently. How could someone housing such a monster in her body be full of healing and light? All she had seen thus far was destruction and death. Surely, the Queen must be mistaken. Though admittedly, there were less believable choices in world-savior candidates. As this thought raced through her head she glanced over at Dante, stone cold-looking as ever, and chuckled silently to herself.

Heh. Healing and Light. Sure..

If you wish to be a part of this, step through the portal. Otherwise we will arrange for a way to return you to your home. Shola, please,"

Lilith watched in awe as Shola opened the portal, somewhat hoping that Dante wouldn't notice that she had taken a step closer to him. She finally stepped through along with the group, squinting as the salty air hit her face. She used her hand to shade her eyes as she looked around, grinning a bit at the sight of the sea. She loved water, and having grown up as a prisoner in a desert tribe it was relatively hard to come by. She giggled softly at Dante's face and general attitude towards their surroundings as a whistle sounded in the distance.

Hesitantly following the group into the train, she immediately made herself comfortable in the window seat that Dante had left unoccupied right next to him. It was obvious he was doing everything within his power not to look out the window. She drew in a large breath then let out a large sigh and she rested her head against the window, staring out at the water. As the train began to move, she spoke softly to him as she continued to watch the gull in the water pass by.

"So, you came from the palace?"

"I think we all came from the palace just now," Dante said tersely, his jaw straining and tight as he watched the water fly by around them. This... thing wasn't like the subway where everything was enclosed; one wrong move and the damn thing looked like it could topple off the tracks and into the water. Of course Shola looked fucking calm, she came from a whole world of granola-eating, nature-loving hippy elf-things. That place produced some violent shit though, he reflected, and crossed his arms. Maybe everywhere was like that. He glanced over at Zoduz and then at the scared little brunette kid. How had this ragtag bunch of idiots gotten together, anyway?
"Shola, how'd you pick us out? We have shit-all in common and at least two of us kill people for a living."

She looked over at him and her ears pricked up.
"To be honest, you all were in the most danger of being killed before we could get to you. The darkness was closing in on each of you before we found you."
"So we were all like Miss Broken Ankle over there. Even me? If I recall correctly, I was up for execution by my guild when you came by."
"You were still about to die," Shola replied and he nodded absently.
"Yeah, pretty much... So how are we supposed to 'purify' things, anyway? I don't know about our resident tattoo artist... Lilth, but I don't feel any different than before I got here."

Shola gave an embarrassed shrug and looked over at Lilth.
"I am unsure myself. The texts on this sort of things are virtually nonexistant. As best as we could tell you simply will be able to do it."
"Great," he muttered and leaned over to look down the aisle at Piper and Blaze.
"Hey, who the hell are you two?"

"Oh... Um, I'm Piper... And this is Blaze. Uhm... Hi," she replied, waving a little.
"Dante," he replied and leaned back in his seat. "That's Shola, and Lilth," he finished, jerking his thumb at each in turn. "And that's Zoduz."
"One big happy family," he said sarcastically and gave Lilth a lopsided, sardonic grin.

Halfway distracted by the sights outside, Lilith phased in and out of the conversation between the passengers. Her attention was suddenly caught by a response from Dante.

"So we were all like Miss Broken Ankle over there. Even me? If I recall correctly, I was up for execution by my guild when you came by."

Her initial response to him referring to her as 'Miss Broken Ankle' was to glare directly at him and mumble. "It was your fault," She said under her breath before realizing that Dante had just revealed a tiny detail about himself. For such a stoic asshole, this was pretty rare, despite her only having known him for a total of about two days. Her glare softened as she thought about it. What could an assassin do to be sentenced to death by fellow assassins? She pondered to herself as the others introduced themselves, then was forced to participate once more as she heard Dante introduce her. Lilith rolled her eyes at him and leaned forward so she could see the others around him. "Nice to meet you guys." She smiled and nodded before slowly turning her attention to Shola.

"So Shola, you and Dante seem to know each other pretty well. Have you been together for long?"