Saving the World In Spite of Ourselves

Ok, here is my character. I may have gone a bit overboard on the history, but I had it all typed out before I realized how much I had actually put down so . . . anyway let me know if I need to change anything.

Trevean
Occupation: Music Teacher / Businessman . . . of a less than reputable nature.
Home world: Fairyland, currently resides in Metro Island on Waterworld
Race: Other / Näck

Notable Features: As a Näck Trevean can shift into various forms, but he usually shifts only between his watery natural self and a humanoid form. Whatever form he's in his eyes will always be ocean blue. His natural form looks much like his humanoid one with the exception that it is made entirely out of water. His humanoid form is that of a somewhat tall lean man with pointed ears. Growing up in Fairyland pointed ears were the norm and Trevean never learned to shift any other type. As the residents of Waterworld are human Trevean maintains his human form constantly, keeping his ears covered with either a scarf or hat whenever anyone might see him.

As a human he keeps his long black hair hair held back with a silver clip, wears a silver hoop earring in the left ear, has fair skin, and is always impeccably dressed. Whether it be swim shorts or a tailor made suit he insists on wearing only the best quality clothing available.

History: Trevean was born the oldest of three to a pair of loving but poor parents who lived in a large fishing town along the ocean. When he was five years old a friend of his father and the man's wife, a Guardian and his Other, stayed with them for a week. It didn't take long for them to identify Trevean as an Other, a fact that made his father swell with pride, but the two refused to give him too many details about what it meant stating only that when the time was right, when he met the Guardian to whom he was bonded, he would have to figure out the details for himself. It was a fact that always stayed in the corner of his mind, though he didn't let it influence him too much.

Unfortunately in the struggle to make ends meet his family fell on hard times and they were often left to sing for their supper, literally. Unwilling to watch his parents work hard on the fishing boats all day and then entertain strangers in the little time they had off, Trevean decided that he too would seek out work to help care for his two younger brothers, and though at a young age, he did find a job. He told his parents it was clerical work at one of the large fishing companies, and they believed him, or pretended too, but what he was really doing was running various errands for a rather shady character named Bois.

Bois had realized early on that Trevean had an uncanny ability to talk most people around to his point of view; perhaps the boy was simply that charming, or perhaps it was a part of his Näck nature. He very rarely failed to get his way. Trevean seemed able to get information out of people before they realized they were in any danger of giving anything away, he noticed little details, and he could fit together the pieces of events before Boise realized there was even a puzzle to solve. So Bois used him. In fact, Boise used him up.

When he was 17, tired and exhausted from running errands for Bois, Trevean made a critical mistake. A mistake that got Boise arrested. (Ironically the events that followed led to one of Trevean's brothers joining the Queen's Guard.) Bois's following was in an uproar, and fearing the repercussions for his family if he went home Trevean fled. He knew that once Bois's people realized his parents knew nothing they'd be safe, mostly. He also knew that if Bois escaped he had the means to track Trevean down. His only remaining choice was to flee Fairyland altogether for a world with low magic. The nature of his being requiring a nearby source of water for him to avoid sinking into depression, Trevean chose to restart his life on Waterworld. He found a Guardian willing to open a portal for him, and left everything behind.

Once on Waterworld he made his way to Metro Island where he was able to pose as a human and set up a small shop as a music instructor, giving both vocal and instrumental lessons. Unfortunately he set up in a rather rough neighborhood and a local "Boss" expected Trevean to pay a "tax" in order to run his shop safely. Time and time again the local boss sent men to collect, and time and time again they returned empty handed and unable to explain why, only that they were convinced that Trevean should be allowed to live there without trouble. Fed up the boss eventually paid Trevean a visit in person and being stronger in will then the henchmen Trevean's usual methods of persuasion were unusable. However the boss took a liking to Trevean and a deal was worked out. Trevean would be allowed to keep his shop tax free, if he would complete certain"tasks".

Once again he'd been roped into working for a shady sort of character. But things were far more profitable in Waterworld then they had been at home. In very little time he had been promoted over the "boss" and was not only able to afford clothing from Madam Glau, a seamstress who caters to the elite, but also maintain a certain level of influence with his higher ups. In fact Trevean became something of a favorite in that circle, not only because he could get things done, but because with his charming ways no one ever suspects him of doing anything at all.

Other:
  • Though he knows he is an Other, due to the nature of his lifestyle he has never bothered to seek out his Guardian, and he never intends to.
  • While he carries and can use several silver knives, fighting is not his strong suit. He much prefers to enchant his victims if at all possible. Though his musical enchantment only completely works on the weak minded (as in the person will obey his suggestions) it is possible for him to influence the mood (humming a happy tune might cheer someone up) of anyone listening to him, and sometimes he can target specific individuals. (singing a specific person to sleep for example)
  • While he can shape shift, the touch of steel can keep him from using his watery form to avoid taking damage.
Reason for Living: There always seems to be somebody to take care of. He parents and his brothers, then his students. And there's also the Guardian he has yet to meet, the one who'll loose themselves if he dies.
Greatest Fear: That he will spent the rest of his life floating around the more shady circles of civilization.
Most Secret Dream: He secretly wishes . . . very, very, very deep down . . . To someday find his guardian
Useless skill(s): He always knows when a storm is coming.
Favorite Food: Fish stew.
Theme Song: Drifting (Plumb)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Kura and Midian
Big-ass orientation post for my new players! <3
-----------------------------------------------
Turmoil and darkness in the main world has spread to its branches and now everything is in danger of critical collapse. A ritual done in attempt to purify the land instead creates an undetermined number of Purifiers, people capable of driving back the darkness. Some are aware of their status, others are not.

Theoretically working alongside the Purifiers are Guardians, predecessors of modern-day witches and beings created from pure magic to serve the will of the founding goddesses. They are beings who, when created, are created with an Other made from part of their matrix. Their Other, as long as he/she lives, is their romantic counterpart who contains the safety "off" to their powers and their human compassion, heart, and feelings. A Guardian who survives the death of their Other is a pitiless, ruthless powerhouse. Some, to escape the yoke of the goddesses and their Other have sold their contracts to the Dire Queen who uses them for her own purposes, often evil. Unless their Other dies events are set in motion so that the two are destined to fall in love.

It falls to a group of Purifiers and Guardians selected by the queen of the "fairyland" to root out the dark influence in the branch worlds in order to make it possible to purify the main one completely. Meanwhile, the queen also attempts to hold her tenuous peace with a neighboring kingdom who worships the darkness as hers worships the goddesses. However, there are no big divides between good and evil or black and white.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fairyland: Referred to by inhabitants as Coroco. This is a Hyrule-esque world where the Guardians and goddesses originate from. It consists of a large plain bordered by an ocean to the west and mountains to the east that separate Coroco from the Land of the Daal people, the kingdom Queen Amilah is trying to keep peace with. The Daal are proud desert warriors who excel at tattoos and beheading. They are technically the same race as Corocon people.

Pandemonium/The Sandbox- Simply called Earth by the people who live there, this magical realism world has regular folks living among witches, werewolves, vampires, and anything under the sun. Witches, distant descendants of the Guardians, sometimes live in powerful clans with antiquated rituals and speech patterns.

Cyberia- A post-apocalyptic metropolis where the only form of "law" is assassins that can be hired. They either work freelance or are contracted by "guilds" where assassins are divided into two Tiers: Tier 1 assassins are bred to be able to hunt and kill other assassins and Tier 2 assassins are just the regular Joes.

Waterworld- Also called Earth, this world is much like an early 1900's rural America except it is largely underwater. Islands are connected by trains and people have forgotten about the existence of boats. No magic here.

Paradise Island- post-post-apocalpytic America were a totalitarian government has full control of its citizens. Writing utensils and paper have been outlawed to comply with "Green Laws" that also restrict citizen travel. Here some psychics monitor the Mechanical Messiah, a manmade God with the power to reduce places to monster-infested horror zones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's happened, in handy-dandy bullet format:

• The Queen's captain of the guard, Shola, and a renegade assassin from another world, Dante, have been sent to round up a Purifier in danger of being attacked by the darkness.
  • They get to her, but in the ensuring battle everyone is scattered across two worlds.
  • Dante and Lilth end up in a totalitarian world's bar where they meet another assassin like Dante
  • They ultimately give themselves away by trying to pay in cash in a world where there is no paper and are rounded up by the government
  • While at the government facility Lilth turns into her werewolf form during the torture and the fight between her and Dante causes the cells to open.
  • A portal, caused by the imbalance of magic, opens and transports them to Fairyland.
  • While they've been doing all that Shola and her sidekick Lucas have been in yet another world. Shola is gravely injured from the first battle and they meet up with two other purifiers while trying to get Shola medical attention. These Purifiers too are eventually swept up in a rogue portal and taken to Fairyland
  • Shola's group briefly meets a beach community before all the groups meet up in the castle where the Queen explains everything (check the bottom of Page 4, that's an important post if you only read that one)
  • The group members that elect to remain in the party go to the first world, Waterworld
  • A hurricane sweeps up the train they're in and two more Purifiers go missing. They're all currently at a small house now recovering from the hurricane

5tXlqY3.jpg

This is my formal apology for not posting as of late !

I will be posting tonight being the 20/09/2013, Ill read through all the posts just to catch myself up again and will try to muscle my way back in !

Nice to see some new faces too !

~Closer <3

• Love
Reactions: Midian and Kura
Haha, yeah...So I'm working on my first post and it's already 1,000+ words. SO! Small disclaimer before I post. It's not really an important post and I wouldn't judge any of you for not reading it. >>; It's mostly a "day in the life under a totalitarian regime" and is really just so I can get a better feel for my character. I probably won't be posting something this large again. Soooo yeah. :D

Also! Running away with my creative license here, if I post anything that doesn't fit into the RP just let me know and I'll fix it. I've made up a bunch of stuff.

SO SO SO SO SORRY FOR THE LACK OF POSTING!!!!!!!!! Everything technological hates me right about now, but I actually have internet access now, so I will try to start posting like normal again. Sorry again.

@Kokierra- Message me about getting Lucas back into the RP :)
@Harper- I'm looking forward to it!

@All- Read everything, extremely excited, and will give you all more info and talk after work tomorrow. But I have to snooze now or I'll die!

It's an understatement to say that Kura and I are BEYOND excited for what we see happening in the RP. We're going to knock heads tonight to get a new gameplan down and I will probably be making another post tonight to start getting people together.

@Falcon- Trevean will be met where he is, but they are headed in his direction ASAP.

Everyone else- Post away! I've told some of my returning peeps this, but I'm not going maintain a strict posting order in the sense that the RP won't move forward if someone hasn't posted for awhile. When I want posting to hold up for a particular event I'll let you all know. Just make sure you're not drowning everyone else out (not that I even think that's going to be a problem).

Also for my newbies- If you've been through the IC you'll see places where two people get some QnD posting done. I may will definitely do this with you from time to time. Let me know when we can be on together and we'll duke it out.

Otherwise, keep up the good work everyone! You're all hella awesome.

Reactions: - Falcon - and Kura
Awesome, I'll have Trevean ready when you are :D

I must admit, I think I've worked out something of an introduction speech that make him look like . . . well you'll see when I get the chance to use it.

So eager to get home and start working on a character or two. ^_^

We only have room in the party for one full-time, but if you'd like to have a secondary character that we meet in his/her world and stays there (kind of like a guest star) that's perfectly fine!

Edit: I didn't forget about Skype either! Once I finish what I'm working out for the RP I'm going to start fiddling with my skype

ok, so no speech this time, used part of it though, the rest may be worked in later.

Hope the slime bit was ok
and here is a youtube clip I found of a guy who sounds much like what I imagine Trevean might. (add in the rest as well if he's putting magic into it)
I figured that since music and singing was such an important part of his character I might as well provide an example :)
(that and I think these guys sound awesome)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kura
Giles Aran

Homeworld: Waterworld ("Earth", as far as he is concerned)
Race: Human
Appearance: Coming from one of the richer families on Earth, Giles always makes sure to keep up with appearances. He comes off as a bit of a dandy with his professional haircut. His hair is a dark brown color at a short length that allows it to be swept back. His body is tall and somewhat lanky with little visible muscle. As far as clothes go, he is always seen in some manner of suit, as is only proper for young men of his generation. The suits vary in color and cut with the seasons.

History: Giles was incredibly lucky. The ease of life on Waterworld was entirely dependent on where your birth family was located - both physically and metaphorically within the class structure. His family was located just outside of Metro Island - only one train ride away. They owned most of the island and land on many other small islands - all of which was devoted to farming. The Aran family provided a large portion of the produce and meats for Metro Island (which was too overcrowded to have much room for its own farms), so they were quite wealthy. The estate Giles stays in is more like a small town with a separate building for servants' quarters and another one that serves as the family business headquarters. The important employees of the business have their own residences on the campus, as well. A market appears for a few hours every morning to provide everyone with fresh food. For everything else, it is a very quick trip to Metro Island to access the wide variety of shops there. In front of the estate, a courtyard filled with gardens shows off the Aran family wealth.

Giles went to a prestigious university at the age of 16 where he discovered a passion and aptitude for both math and inventing. There, he met a young man named Jeremy Carpenter who was from a poorer family but intellectually gifted enough to attend the university through corporate sponsorship. The two became fast friends and then lovers during their stay. Jeremy focused more on theory than Giles did, but it fit their dynamic well. Giles offered to work for his parents as an accountant in exchange for buying off Jeremy's sponsorship which they did readily, hearing much of Giles' skills. This allowed him to continue his old lifestyle which he was very satisfied with but still keep inventing as a hobby. Jeremy also lived at the estate, never too far away from his best 'friend'. Giles' parents didn't approve too much of the love between the two, but they let their son do what he wanted as long as he kept working and kept it secret.

The intellectual pair worked on many things - including designs for a revolutionary craft that could carry things directly on the water. While that certainly had the most potential for profit, the pair focused more of their attention on a suit that allowed for travel UNDER the water. On foot, no less! It consisted of a metal enclosure where the diver sat and a tube for pumping air into the suit from the surface. Giles actually managed to build this one after saving up money for the scarce metals and for a blacksmith to craft the thing. It took some trial and error to get the air-tube working properly - requiring a strong mechanical pump that they hooked up to a steam engine to ensure the air made it all the way to the diver. It also required a retrieval system consisting of pulleys and a motorized winch to allow for emergency retrieval and to help the diver up some of the steep slopes.

Life was perfect - between the delightfully high-pressure business job, exploring the bottom of the vast ocean (slowly, of course), and corresponding with contacts at the university to share the results of these expeditions, Giles could not imagine a better life for himself.

Reasons for Living: Jeremy and the excitement of discovery.
Greatest Fear: Losing the wealth that allows his dreams to be possible.
Most Secret Dream: He has it all! It would be nice if he could love Jeremy more openly, though.
Useless Skill(s): Knows how to efficiently organize a business's books. Highly skilled with arithmetic.
Favorite Food: Fried fish - the kind of fish doesn't even matter! Variety is the spice of life.

Reactions: Midian
Hey guys, sorry it took so long but I am back in the RP,

I spent this post mainly catching up on the period I missed so I apologize that I haven't really interacted with any new faces. THAT WILL CHANGE FOR HERE >:)

~HMC <3

Reactions: Midian
Just as a heads up to my players: it appears that I'm not always getting notifications when someone posts. I'll be checking my inbox and these threads regularly, but I want to keep everyone abreast of that in case Kura or I miss something.

Okay folks! Here's what's going down:

We're at a point where the party can fight or run. I'm going to let the first person who posts next decide whether they escape or fight. If you want to run your idea by me, fine, but it's in no way necessary. If you absolutely don't want to play this scene aggressively you don't have to; your character can react to the scene. But someone's gotta make the choice. I'm leaving it up to you guys!

*thumbs up*

And Kokierra- Bring Lucas and Jacklyn to Water World anytime, but make sure you've caught up on what they're doing before you post.

You're all doing great so far! I'm looking forward to more! :D

Alright, I'll make sure I catch up and I'll post soon.