Saving Each Other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Griffin wasn't looking forward too lunch. He really wasn't in the mood to deal with the crowd. But he needed to eat. And eating in the cafeteria meant that he could eat whatever he wanted to without it costing him extra. He waited as long as he could before getting into line. He piled food onto his tray. Which got him odd looks but he didn't care. He was starving. Once he had filled his tray he looked for a place to sit. The place was packed though so his choices were limited. He wanted to sit alone but that wasn't an option. When he saw Teddi he headed her way. "Do you mind if I join you?"

Teddi looked up,s he smiled at Griffin and nodded.
"Sure." she said. She hoped he was warming up to her. She didn't want to spend the whole semester sharing a room with someone who didn't even want to talk to her at all. She'd tried making friends between classes, but found herself feeling awkward and out of place instead. Teddi didn't know why she was more comfortable talking to Griffin, a huge biker dude, than the rest of the people here. She really did try to make friends, but she hadn't been successful. Teddi rolled her sleeve up and gave herself her insulin, she put the needle in it's hard case and getting up threw it away before coming back and beginning her lunch.
"How was your day?" she asked Griffin, attempting to make conversation.

Griffin nodded and took his seat. He adnt bothered with trying to we friend. He wasn't sure that he wanted or needed to. He had had very few friends in his lifetime. Friends required trust and he didn't trust easily. He wasnt sure about Teddi he realized as he watched her give herself an injection. He wanted to trust her. Which was strange and uncomfortable. He could say why he wanted to trust her. But there was something about her that caused him to relax his guard. "So far my day has been fine. I found out that I can borrow the books I need. Apparently all the work-tuition students can do so. Otherwise there would be no point in them attending class." he explained.

Teddi was glad he actually was talking to her. She nodded.
"I found out about the book thing when I got to class. So I didn't have a book for my first class and had to run to get them in between classes." she told him. Teddi had work after this. Every week a certain amount of hours of work had to be done by each working student. She had janitorial work after this in the athletics center. She probably would be cleaning the bathrooms and lockers rooms and any other area that needed to be cleaned up. She had scheduled 5 hours of work today because she had no after noon classes today.

Griffin couldn't imagine to going to lass unprepared. He would have rather show up late. Luckily he hadn't had to do either. "I'm sorry to hear that. I an only imagine how embarrassing that was." Griffin did his best to avoid embarrassing himself. He hated having attention called to him. Especially when he had messed up. "I have to work after this. They put me in the library. What are you doing?" he had request that he have a job that wasnt too physically demanding. He had had to explain why he was making the request before they had been willing to grant his request. Which he had hated despite the fact that he understood. He was curious what kind of job they had given Teddi with her limitations.

Teddi shrugged at his comment about embarrassing.
"A little, yeah. I forgot to check with the bookstore this morning because I was rushing so much." she admitted to him. Teddi honestly had even forgotten her breakfast this morning she'd been in sucha hurry so she'd had to eat some snacks between classes.
Teddi wondered what work you did in the library.
"Um...I have janitorial work. I'm in the athletic building today cleaning stuff." she said. Teddi had put she had no physical limitation except for her hearing troubles. Her diabetes she didn't consider a limitation for work just an extra thing she had to keep track of during work. Teddi started to eat her fries. She drank some lemonade and checked the clock on the wall. She still had about 45 minutes until work.

Last edited:
Griffin grimace. Janitorial work had to be very hard and physically demanding. It also had to be very demeaning. No one appreciated the cleaning crew. He was sorry that she had gotten that as her job. "I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds." he glanced at the clock on the wall and frowned. He was never very good with telling time with regular clocks. He had forgotten his watch his morning in his effort to remember everything else. He thought he's till had plenty of time though. About fourth minutes or so by his guess. It was better to be early then late so he planned to leave when there was about ten minutes left.

"I don't mind. I'm pretty good at cleaning actually." Teddi said cheerily. It was true, she was very good cleaning. She'd been in one foster home where the mother used to drag her up at all hours of the night to scrub things and would regularly inspect everything for any dirt. It had been one of the most stressful homes she'd been in because of how young she'd been at the time and because of how angry the mother would get when she found dirt. Since then Teddi had always kept everything tidy and organized.
Teddi finished her fries and sat back in her chair drinking her lemonade slowly.

"That should help." Griffin commented. "I'll be checking out books and reshelving. Probably occasionally helping people find books." he loved books so it was really the perfect job for him. He had always spent as much time as he could in the library. To him in represented a safe haven. He could be around people without having to interact. Books had always been his way of escaping his life. They allowed him to be someone or go somewhere else. He knew that they were the only reason he had survived as long as he had. He finished his food pushed his tray away. He picked up the milk he had grabbed and stared to finish that off.

Teddi got up and threw away her trash putting her tray up,
"I guess I'll see you later." she said waving as she headed out of the cafeteria. She checked her map and after taking a bit to orient herself headed off at a brisk pace towards the athletics building. She wished she had a watch, but she didn't have one. She meant to get one next time she took a trip to Wal*Mart to pick up some snacks. Hopefully she'd have enough money. She had taken on some extra hours at the 'University Gift Shop' so she could get some spending money. She planned on doing that over the weekends. Teddi didn't want to do full tim work there just some hours here and there so she could have some cash in case she needed something and so she could buy snacks for herself.

Griffin nodded. He watched Teddi leave. He liked her. Which was an odd feeling for him. He wasn't use to liking people. He finished his milk before standing to his feet. He gathered up his mess and took it to the trash can. Once he had taken care of his garbage he headed out of the lunch room. He headed to the library. Which was thankfully wasn't very far from the cafeteria. He took a deep breath as he entered the library. He loved the smell of books. He hoped that he got a chance to check out a couple. He headed for the main desk where he would check in with the librarian. She gave him a cart of books to reshelf. He took the cart and started putting the books away.

Teddi entered the athletic building and reported to the front desk.
She was told where the supplies were and where to start.
She rolled the mop and bucket into the girls locker room and then went and got the rest of the cleaning supplies and started to clean the place up.
It was not a pleasant job at all. People weren't the cleanest in here and the locker room, especially the showers were disgusting.

Reshelving books was hard for Griffin. He didn't mind but he was glad that there wasn't a lot of books today. But he knew that wouldn't alway be the case. He just hoped that the major reshelving days didn't happen too often. Or too close together. He had drugs to ease the pain but he hated using them. They made him feel like a zombie. When his hours were done he was pretty happy with his job. It wasn't the best but it wasn't bad. He wouldn't mind doing it until he graduated. He checked with the librarian before headeping to the cafeteria once again. He was starving. So he planned to grab supper before heading to his dorm. He didn't need to study yet so he would probably call it an early night.

Teddi was tired. Cleaning had been hard work and had seemed to take forever. She was OK with it though, it was just one semester of doing it before she could possibly be switched into a different job. Teddi made her way to the cafeteria. She would eat dinner and then exercise later that evening. There was no homework on her first day so she had the whole evening to figure out what to do with. She should probably go pick up the rest of her books after exercising tonight.
Teddi entered the cafeteria and got in line to get her food. She got a dish pasta. This afternoon she'd had fries, which she generally shouldn't have so she was trying to be healthier tonight. She put some sort of Italian vegetable topping on her pasta and a little bit of parmesan. Teddi also grabbed a small salad and a glass of milk. She went and sat down at the table she had before and after taking insulin started to eat, she was hungry. Cleaning had worked up her appetite and she wanted energy for tonight's work out.

In the cafeteria Griffin grabbed meat. Mostly fish since that was what was being offered. He didn't mind though. Hr wasn't that picky as long as he wads able to eat it he would. Nice he filled his plate again he looked for a place to sit. Again the room he saw that once again it was better much full.he sighed as he headed toward back of the room when he saw Teddi again. He frowned not because she was there but because the girl was going to think he was talking her if he kept showing up. Still there really wasn't anywhere else to sit. So he went to the table where she was. "Do you mind if I join you again?"

"Sure, sit down." Teddi said after swallowing a mouth full of food. She looked a bit on the tired side. She sipped her milk and continued to eat.
Teddy wasn't hurrying her dinner she had no where to really be right after this. She probably would take a nice leisurely walk home, pick up her books, let her food rest before she worked out later.
"How was work?" She asked politely.

Griffin sat relieved to have a chance to get off his leg. It was sore after him spending so much time on it. He sat the tray down and rubbed at his leg. It would be nice to be able to stay off his leg. He took a bite of his food before answering her. "Work was alright. More physical then I thought it would be but I didn't really mind. I love libraries." He told her honestly. He debated using the schools hot tub. It would help the pain he was in but at the same time he would be at risk of being seen. He didn't want anyone at school to see his scars. He didn't want anyone else to know how damaged he was. People would ask to many questions he didn't want to answer.

Teddi noticed that Griffin rubbed his leg and seemed to limp a bit. She didn't mention it not wanting to make her new kinda friend angry. She listened to him and smiled at she ate her food. She polished off her salad and moved on to her pasta.
Teddi didn't say anything about her work. She was used to people not really caring about how she was and even getting angry when she talk about herself at all. She drank part of her glass of milk quietly and looked outside. She'd picked a table near the window so she could watch the campus life.

"How about you? They had you in the athletic building? That had to be...interesting." Griffin asked after a minute. He could only imagine the mess that the jocks left for her. The athletic building was probably one of the messier buildings. He finished his fish and started on his potatoes. He wished he was better at social interactions. Teddi seemed nice but he was used to keeping people at a distance. He had be never wanted to get to know someone before. It made him feel bad that he wasn't good at interacting with others. His lacking social skills were going to make things harder for him. He would just have to hope he didn't he made her too uncomfortable.

"It was...gross to say the least..." Teddi said, "But all in all not awful. I've lived with hoarders so well I've seen worse." Teddi explained. She suddenly wished she hadn't said that last part. Now she'd opened up a whole new pandoras box of questions and such. She silently ate her food for a few more moments.
"It's pretty hard work there...I kinda hope to switch next semester." she admitted quietly hoping to quickly move on from her statement about her past.
Teddi twirled her spaghetti on her fork and ate it. She didn't have much left on her plate. Teddi glanced outside. It looked like a fall storm was coming. Awesome...and she had to walk places. This would be just great.

Status
Not open for further replies.