SAO Based Roleplay Interest Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anthea Evans

Original poster
Hello all! So, this is an interest check for a Sword Art Online based roleplay.
For those who don't know what Sword Art Online is, here's a summary from IMDB.

The year is 2022, and gamers have lined up on launch day for Sword Art Online, a hotly-anticipated MMORPG that lets players connect to an immersive virtual reality world with special helmets called Nerve Gear. Kirito is one such gamer who's eager to jump back into action, having spent a great deal of time as a beta tester, and quickly becomes friends with newbie warrior Klein. But soon, Sword Art Online's 10,000 players discover that not only are they unable to log out, the only way they can return to their physical bodies is by beating the 100-level tower's final boss - death in the game means death in the real world. Now, with no one else to turn to, Kirito and the other participants must survive the game as best they can.
While the second season/arc/Alfhiem Online sucked giant dick, I liked the idea of choosing to dive into the MMO, and what happens in the MMO effecting real life.
Here's my idea:
Imagine it's summer vacation in a Japanese-based society, and a large game company is nearly finished in their development of a brand new full dive MMORPG: Ziradia Online. As the splurge on the back of the box says, "An MMORPG like no other, with quests customized to each users playstyle, and an unlimited number of levels and professions to pursue. Loyal players are rewarded, and huge events are held regularly."

However, before they release the game they want to do a full system check, and to do that they invite 10 students from across the country to come and stay in their luxurious Beta Tester Compound at headquarters. Everything is provided, from large, comfortable living quarters to natural hot springs and a top-of-the-line gym, as well as sprawling gardens and even a small shopping centre. Everything is designed so the teens will never have to be far from the game as they spend three months testing it. At the end of the time they are each promised a handsome sum of money for their time. All they need to do is to follow the few rules the company sets down: play the game for a minimum of 8 hours a day, and attend daily beta tester meetings with the developers, who are headed up by the famous Doctor Kiyonaga Nagata, the developer of the top games for the past 5 years.
Of course, these students are not the only Beta Testers, there are around five thousand others from across the country, but they are part of what Dr. Nagata calls the Final In-Game Testers, or FITs. Doctors love acronyms.

This is where RP comes in. You can chose to either play one of the 10 students or one of the developers. The extra five thousand players are mostly meant to be background NPCs, fillers. The 10 students are intended to be the frontliners. RP is intended to be split between the MMO and the real world, mostly occurring in the MMO I think.

This idea is still very much in development, as I only just typed all this up, but I'd love to hear thoughts and ideas if anyone's interested~

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to take part!

Sounds quite fun,

As i was reading, i have to be honest, i didnt think you would budge much from the storyline but you did! Which is refreshing :)

Also, are they going to end up stuck in the game?

Sounds quite fun,

As i was reading, i have to be honest, i didnt think you would budge much from the storyline but you did! Which is refreshing :)

Also, are they going to end up stuck in the game?
I'm glad you like it!
While I really enjoy SAO, that story has already been told. The setting it created, however, was beautiful and incredible and inspiring, which is why this is just SAO based, not straight up SAO.
As for getting stuck in the game, I'm not sure. I have a few ideas floating around in my head, I plan on refining down the story and plot more today ^-^

Also a note, I haven't GMed in a few years, so I'm a bit rusty and still getting back into the swing of things. As such I'm going to downsize the group of FITs from 25 to 10, so it's easier for us all to create a better story together.
If anyone has ideas or would like to help planning or development, please let me know! ^_^
Thank you all so much for your interest, it means a lot.

Jesus, I really should have watched this thread after I posted. D:

Here's an idea: rather than the MMO being straight up elves and dragons, why not add a few gears and blimps here and there? I'm not a full on steampunk enthusiast nor am I a full on fantasy enthusiast, but I really like it when the two mix. The power to shoot fireballs out of magical symbols and carry around a revolver? Hell yeah!

Here's an idea: rather than the MMO being straight up elves and dragons, why not add a few gears and blimps here and there? I'm not a full on steampunk enthusiast nor am I a full on fantasy enthusiast, but I really like it when the two mix. The power to shoot fireballs out of magical symbols and carry around a revolver? Hell yeah!
Hmmm I like it! It will take a little more fiddling, but I'm pretty sure it could work, I'll probably go with lower-level guns though (think fantasy versions of late 1700s). With the magic as well, the guns wouldn't be too over powered. Thank you so much for the idea!

• Love
Reactions: AWarriorcat
Jesus, I really should have watched this thread after I posted. D:

definitely something i'm up for.

Yup yup, steampunk/fantasy pls~ <3
But if we focus fantasy, pls make it dark~! (can be a season , who knows :3 )

I'm so excited about the response! Everyone who has replied will be given priority when time comes for sign ups. As I'm beginning to hash out more details of the roleplay, here will be some of the requirements:
-Intermediate writing level
-Unique/Original character (not something from an anime or tv show, book, etc)
-Replies at least once a day unless giving notice (this is more of a guideline, not hard set "don't do it and you're out" sort of thing, I just want to keep it active)
-Minimum paragraph (5+ sentences) per reply. (I understand while having a conversation it's harder to write long replies, but I'd like the RP to be fairly literate. One paragraph is the minimum, I'd prefer 2+)
-Willingness to work together OOCly. (This is my first really big forum RP in a couple years. I'm rusty, and welcome help. I'd also like to keep OOC drama at a nonexistant level, please.)
EDIT: No Mary/Gary Sues. Flaws make things interesting!
Let me know what you all think!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: B l u E s and Vaila
Sounds good to me, but can we add the whole 'no Mary/Gary Sue's' because characters who have no flaws or weaknesses what so ever really annoy me. Other than that it all seems great :)

Reactions: Anthea Evans
Sounds good to me, but can we add the whole 'no Mary/Gary Sue's' because characters who have no flaws or weaknesses what so ever really annoy me. Other than that it all seems great :)
Oh yeah, I totally agree. I expect characters to have flaws and such, and I'm absolutely open to assisting anyone who wants to apply in making a well rounded character if they would like help ^_^

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I expect characters to have flaws and such, and I'm absolutely open to assisting anyone who wants to apply in making a well rounded character if they would like help ^_^
do you know approx when you'll be able to start this rp?

Cause i know my finals are this week and then im free... but im curious for everyone else

Reactions: Anthea Evans
Status
Not open for further replies.