Sandbox/testing subforum/division?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shienvien

Original poster
I have recently noticed an influx of "Testing layouts, do not post", "BBCode testing" and similar topics right here on the Help Desk. While there is a "TEST" tag (or prefix, as they seem to be called here), the official description of the Help Desk doesn't really reflect just messing around with codes, and I personally find having testing threads clustered with ideas and concerns a bit cluttery.
Hence my suggestion: much like many other sites have their dedicated test subforums/divisions, let Iwaku have one, too. It's easier for staff to keep track of who is actually asking for help and/or has good ideas, and lets relevant things stay on the first page for longer (since very few people bother to visit subsequent pages).

Actually it is very easy in my opinion to see who needs help, who's testing and who comes with ideas. That's why we have prefixes, and considering you can search on a specific prefix (by clicking on it), it makes things even easier to find the right threads. The problem would come when people don't use prefixes at all, but even then, staff can just give the thread a proper prefix if we feel the help desk is too cluttered and we need them for searching.

But, the admins are discussing a test forum, so that might happen in the future.

The prefixes actually cause an entirely different issue for me - as I have heightened hue/contrast sensitivity, I also tend to have somewhat of a hypersensitivity towards certain colors and color combinations, and as a result the prefixes tend to cause quite significant physical discomfort on more strongly backlighted screens (regardless of the theme used), to the point where I have occasionally resorted to literally setting a hand down on my display to be even able to read the thread titles next to them. Adblock won't remove them, either - only browserside color override gets rid of the neon, and especially white on neon.

Those colors are rather epileptic, aren't they? o.o

A good place for users to do bbCode testing is on their personal blog. The test page can be made private, it's in your own space so it's not cluttering anybody else's, and the bbCodes are identical to what you'd get for a normal post. The only difference is that blog pages have a slightly smaller max-width than forum posts, but since you should be styling for multiple widths for compatibility anyhow, that isn't too awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.