SANCTUARY V2

SUGAR
TAGS || @CloudyBlueDay , @KatSea

Hanamachi...

Well damn.

There was a word Sugar had not been hoping to hear. In a way she supposed it was Madam's doing. All those years of training didn't exactly make it easy to blend in, and sheer determination had not been enough to cover the evidence of what she was... It was frustrating, particularly when he'd called her out on it in such a way that denying it would have been useless... It wasn't a question. It was a statement. But that, she supposed, was what she got for trying to be nice.

Still, it was telling. If he recognized her that quickly, and she hadn't given any indication beyond what she couldn't control, maybe there was more to the grungy man than met the eye...

"Then I'll stay here..." Flinching as the cloud of dust exploded from his dingy wardrobe, she sank into a seat anyway and while the perfect smile did not flicker away, there was a waxy effect to it, a woman trying to preserve face, "I don't recall seeing you around the Teahouse. Are you a patr--"

"Ah... Hey there, Sugar..."

The words barely registered, as she twisted to look for the source of those words, and finding the timid soul who had squeaked out her name, she blinked, "Tallowyn?" Slowly, a smile spread to her lips and she leaned forward, "It is you! My goodness, Wyn. It's so good to see you... How are you? How is your... Was it your uncle? Come and sit with us... Please."

Maz "Mazryn" Faor
Interactions: Mondei @Sairento , Wyn (nodding at him) @KatSea , Aryel and Moppet @Khryses

Maz nodded in understanding as she shook Mondei’s hand. iDemon. It was a screen name she’d come across plenty of times, more in casual conversation or on stats boards than ever actually face to face. As far what she tended to play, that would certainly explain why she’d seen so much of the screen name. There’s was definitely overlap in the spheres of VR that they frequented. Anything competitive and combat based had been her scene for quite a while.

Of course, Mazryn didn’t frequent them much at all these days.

She raised an eyebrow as Mondei murmured under her breath, gaze flicking briefly to the small camera at the side of her visor. Streaming, if she had to guess. A sliver of discomfort slid into her limbs, making her swallow at the realization there could be countless people watching.

Hopefully…. There was no one watching that she wouldn’t want to follow her.

Her attention snapped back to Mondei as she addressed her once again, and her smile turned a touch sheepish.

“It’s nice to meet you, too. I’ve heard a bit about you. Same games and all that,” she began, feeling a flush of embarrassment at the younger woman’s words. “And I don’t know about being a legend… but thank you.”

She paused, smile fading as she pursed her lips. “I hope so,” she said eventually. A coincidence was easier to deal with than the idea it was on purpose. She didn’t much care for the idea that they’d all been selected for this already. The Elites, from what she knew, didn’t do much without some form of repayment. Their prices were never money or power either; they had plenty enough of that to go around.

The idea that her status as a VR player had led her to now? Eerie and unsettling at best.

And at worst? Yeah, no. She’d rather not go there for the moment if she could help it.

Mondei’s focus shifted towards the man that approached her, bluntly questioning her. Mazryn took a moment to assess him, quietly cataloguing and taking him in. Blunt, straightforward, and with no intention to beat around the bush. She could certainly respect that. He was also older. Easily the oldest of the crew in the car so far. Based on just the way he carried himself, she had a feeling that was every bit an advantage for him. If his mannerisms hadn’t made her respect him, she had no doubt he’d find one way or another to make her respect him.

Fair enough.

Perhaps a good ally, if things ever went sideways. With any luck, it would never come to that.

She withdrew from her spot at the table without a word, quietly relieved as Mondei’s attention was drawn elsewhere. She wasn’t smothering, thankfully, but there was always something to be said for idolatry when she came across a fan. They put her on a pedestal. Made her something more. Made her more than a teen girl who’d happened to spend a lot of time in her room, senses attached to a digital world.

She slipped past, approaching the small cat currently waddling across the food table. She smiled, nodding briefly in greeting to the man, the one that had joined them not too long ago, who had been entertained by the cat as well. Crouching down to the height of the table, she held out a hand for the cat to inspect, as a gesture of trustworthiness for the small creature, before even considering petting it.

“Hi there, little one,” she cooed softly, before her gaze flicked up to where the cat’s owner stood. “Where did you manage to find him?” she asked, head tilting. After all, it wasn’t like cats were exactly commonplace.

NEVER_NORMAL_ARC_SANCTUARY

Version two.

Time was always running out. Soon the next group would come. They’d keep coming and coming and coming. Coming and going and dying. Did it matter if the world was dying anyway? Was this a merciful end, or a horrible twist of fate? Did these people deserve what was coming to them?

She didn’t know. Xytrine always acted like she knew but she never did. Life wasn’t fair. But hell if she couldn’t try to even the playing field.

Treading down the dark halls, the click of her boots echoing in the distance, Xytrine knew her mission. The smell of burnt flesh and rotten decay.. she had gotten used to it. Was she even human anymore? Was anyone? With their machines and their implants and their hover cars and holo comms. Humanity didn’t exist. Especially not here.

She dragged a gloved hand along the control panel, smearing every button. The urge to smash it into smithereens was tempting, but likely too much of an unsubtle touch. There was a hiss, a releasing of compressed air as a horrid stench filtered out, putrid and nauseating. Xytrine gagged. But this was what had to be done. Regardless of Matrikt’s wishes…

Moans and groans filtered. The shuffling of bodies commenced, decaying limbs growing accustomed to their new way of living. Or dying. Or living in between the lines of death. There was no longer a need to puzzle over such intricacies, as the capacity had been stripped from them. They only knew the scent of flesh and blood, and how much they longed to feel the warmth of it on their cold, cold, skin, and then to let it travel down their gullets and into their bellies.

Xytrine was already gone, heels clacking towards the exit. And she left the door wide open.

♟♟♟​

The ride to Sanctuary was smooth. Not a single hitch or bump. The occupants of the Skytrain enjoyed an interruption free ride, where the pile of delicacies never seemed to diminish despite being picked at, especially by an impossibly hungry little kitten.

“I would rather y-” Lin’s attempt to ward Sugar off did nothing, and an exasperated huff escaped him as she sat down. And not only did she invade his space of brooding, she called over another. Linreyus’ features twisted in disgust as he folded into himself further, not saying another word as he focused intently on the window.

Warning lights flashed to let the passengers know that they would be arriving soon, but as Matrikt’s Skytrain was the best one available, there was not even a mere bump that accompanied the landing. Once the train came to a halt, another light blinked, accompanied with a satisfying ding, as the front doors opened.

The invitees were not in what appeared to be Sanctuary just yet. Or perhaps it was, but not quite what was expected. There was no lush greenery, no open blue sky. The Skytrain has opened its doors to a metallic dome, cold and pristine. The only thing warm about it was the smiling young woman, prepared to greet them.

“Welcome to Sanctuary!” She exclaimed, clapping her hands together. Her movements were sharp, but the broad grin plastered on her face seemed to lessen the stiffness of the movement. “Well, you’re not quite there yet! As you filter off the train we will begin a minor decontamination process just to ensure everything is running smoothly. My name is Amina, and I’ll be guiding you through the tour!”

Amina was a pleasurable sight. Dark, perfectly symmetrical hair framed her face, with dark brown eyes. She wore large, sparkly earrings, and a modern white dress, complete with accenting frills and plumes. “First up I’d like you all to follow me to the decontamination chambers. Your luggage and personal belongings, if not stored on the skytrain, are all being delivered shortly and checked over, and will be returned to you as soon as possible. As we walk, please feel free to ask me any questions, as I am here and happy to assist!”

objectives

Obtain knowledge - Be 'decontaminated'? Figure out who this Amina lady is. Ask questions.

notes

Yes: It is possible to stray from the path Amina is leading you on. Ask me before doing so. You won't get very far.

Beiatrixx "Beia" Kolekouskee | Location: Decontamination Dome| Interactions: Amina @CloudyBlueDay

"Whoa... nice dome, bro," Beia muttered under her breath, curiosity and awe coursing through her as she stepped off the skytrain. There was nothing new about metal. Heck, she had six chunks of them protruding from her back with glass punctured capsules. But still, there was something dang imposing and, like, official about the place, as if she feared breaking something and having to cover the costs with a lifetime of physical labor. Heh... N-no thank you. Nope. Not me. Dude, I'd likely just break more and more shiz and keep building on my debt until my great great great great grandkids have to pay for it. Her brow furrowed. Wait. No. I'd have to get laid first... with a dude--EW GOD NO SORRY FUTURE KIDDIES GREAT GRANNY BEIA JUST CANCELED YOUR EXISTENCE COME AGAIN ANOTHER DAY!

“Welcome to Sanctuary!”

Oh! Another person! That was fine, she hadn't made an enemy yet, so this wouldn't be a prob-- ...Wait.

“Well, you’re not quite there yet! As you filter off the train we will begin a minor decontamination process just to ensure everything is running smoothly."

Ah, frick.

"My name is Amina."

O-oh no.

"And I’ll be guiding you through the tour!”

You've got to be flipping kidding me--another attractive woman?! Oh please, VR gods, h-have mercy! However, Amina's actual words finally registered and Beia blinked, the confusion clear in her features. "Err... H-hello. Hey? Yeah. Heh, s-small potato speaking, hope I don't corrode away at your s-soul too bad for talking, but uh, what does this whole decontaminating biz c-consist of? It won't be any worse than those g-guard dudes that lowkey violated me on my way t-to the skytrain, right? Cuz boi oh boi," she adjusted the collar of her top nervously, "Some, uh, some hands came real close to no-no square zones, ya know? Not a fan of repeating that, y-ya know?"

Whew--was she floating in a pool of her own sweat yet? No. That was fine, just give it a few more seconds.

Growing more self-conscious of her awkwardness the more and more she stared at Amina (I hate you, why're you so beautiful you majestic creature just kidding p-please don't think I hate you I'm just insecure and but a meager peasant sandwich withering at your feet so don't mind my thoughts--as if you could freaking read them! Beai! Shut up and talk! ...Oh, that was ironic.), Beia cleared her throat before continuing shakily, "A-anyway, uh, glad to be here! This is all raining down on me like, whoosh!" She wiggled her fingers and brought them down from overhead, imitating a shower, before bringing both hands together over her heart and splaying them out awkwardly. "And wha-bam all up in my soul, y-ya know? It's epic! All of this. So, just... uh... If you stopped listening a w-while ago, I won't hold that against you," she finished lamely.

Tallowyn Izorti

I shouldn't be ashamed that I feel super duper awkward that I'm reuniting with a girl from my uncle's private company company(goodness, the English language really can go suck it sometimes! What it is, I'm not sure. I...I'd rather not think about it EW OKAY BACK TO UNCLE JIDI'S UGLY ENDEAVORS)?It...I don't know? M-man...I think my face is all red now...G-g-god. I'd rather not think about aunt and uncles at the moment but...she is a friendly face in a room full of strangers and adorable little kittens. I wish I could have one to assist me in social situations, a therapy cat as it twere...

Wyn swallowed harder than he ever found the gumption to before. It wasn't like she chose to met him in such an awkward setting...Tallowyn despised the usage of women in such a way, even if it did get them in a comfortable setting. His mother always did say it was better to live with your body in full control than it was to lose it. Even if it was nothing more than innocent time spent together...No. There should be no judgement on sweet Sugar(oh goodness, even her name fits so well!) because of such a thing. Yet, there was a red that continued to trickle from the apples of his cheeks to his neck. He hadn't even noticed the pretty woman from earlier crouching besides the familiar cat, his eyes glued to both Sugar and the man sitting besides her. Tallowyn wasn't always the most wise man when it came to pinpointing characteristics that might indicate something more...unpleasant? But, there was a moment of tenseness, a moment where his sheepishness crossed over with hesitation. He always saw the best in people! Even people who were just so dang grouchy and mean(probably because they didn't get enough hugs! Endorphins baby!).

Yet his feet shifted. His gazed fell towards the ground below him, reminding himself he was standing on a solid patch of metal(or whatever this had been, he hadn't really taken the time to identify the carpeting beneath him).

“Welcome to Sanctuary!”

Tallowyn's head snapped up, a brisk crackle of overworked muscle bringing a grimace to his demeanor. Thank you to whatever divine being that has decided to take on the heavy task of watching over me! Seriously dude, why did you do that...I appreciate it regardless! But...thank goodness. I just need to get on out of this little train, more properly introduce myself to people and stop being a awkward little weirdo who only finds it within himself to introduce himself to a cat. But hey! When is that ever gonna happen again? People are here every day! Kittens however...

But...genuine relationships and connection? But...cute animals that can't judge me. But...human conversations that remind me of mom? But cute cats that won't judge me...

Humans.

Cats.

"Oh someone watch over me..." He mumbled, grinning to himself at the overly anxious thoughts he had allowed to fester. He couldn't really help himself. It just...well, happened often. With mom gone, auntie gone, and a whole new environment...Nope! Not a problem. Not at all. He would just offer his company (oh the grotesque irony he meant that a lot nicer than it came out) to Sugar, perhaps calm his nerves, and just slowly melt back into the meet and greet. He did have some people he wanted to say hello to! They just seemed a little preoccupied, and by no means was he ever going to be rude.

"Tour time!" He whispered underneath his breath, gaze caught on a woman who had spoken up to their supposed tour guide. Amina. She...oh goodness. If Wyn wasn't careful, he was going to end up collapsing during the tour and every day after. Eyes shifting from Amina to the woman who spoke, it took a lot of strength not to release a chuckle at the sudden rambling. It makes me relieved that I'm not the only one whose nervous. "Small potato...er...yeah! Thanks Amina for your time! What exactly is this...decontamination thingamagig?"

• Sweet
Reactions: Mobley Eats
Decontamination.

Somehow the word felt more like a threat than anything, coming from the bubbly, enthusiastic tour guide. She might've done nicely in Madam's control, which was maybe we she instantly set Sugar's teeth on edge. Few people in the world these days were genuine. Few had as much reason to smile quite so...

Vigorously.

She'd remained beside Wyn on the train, the familiar face both a comfort and frustration. Her cover had already been blown by the dirt-covered grouch, and so there was little point pretending otherwise that she wasn't one of Madam's prize ponies, but somehow running into a client... Or at least, a patron (as she never did recall seeing Wyn make use of the girl's services before), added another layer of stress to what was a precariously delicate tower of anxiety.

She felt in over her head. And decontamination might as well have been called 'bleached in rays of hell fire' for how it sent jolts of nerves down her spine.

Towards the back of the crowd now, Sugar remained quiet. Watchful. Listening. Ever vigilant... And as the others asked their questions, she studied their guide with unwavering focus.

Mondei Dai - Location Skytrain to Decontamination - Interactions Amina @CloudyBlueDay

Mondei's minor annoyance with the man who interrupted her was tempered quickly as they hit 'almost arrived at your destination' part of the journey. Spinning around, she took in the sights with a grin on her face. Something new was waiting for her out there, and she was looking forward to meeting it.

Mondei frowned slightly as she heard Amina. Taking her stuff again? "At least I'm keeping some of it in the room..." she thought, looking about more as she fixed the glasses on her face. Even if she stopped streaming, it was more comforting to keep them on. Plus if she ever needed to, she could just turn them back on and keep filming if anything shady went down.

Slapping a smile on her face, she shifted back to a more upbeat gear. Good impressions were afoot.

"Hello Amina," Mondei said cheerfully as she weaved her way around others to get to the front. Being small, loathsome as she was to admit it, did have it's benefits here and there. "Could you tell us more about Sanctuary? Like who's living there or what people do?" she asked, excitement and curiosity layered into her voice like a cake.

• Love
Reactions: Mobley Eats