[Samuel x Roman]

r o m a n
"Excuse me," Roman said in a very short and sassy tone, raising one finger in protest when his boyfriend insulted the entire species of leprechauns. "Leprechauns are not lame."

Roman didn't feel spectacularly passionate about leprechauns but he had made his bed so he was going to lie in it.

"Leprechauns are the most noble of beings," he said in a very convincing Irish accent. "They bring the gold to the poor and create rainbows. You're gay, you should like them, they basically created your flag." He jokingly teased Samuel and poked him in the ribs with his fingers.

"And they're tricksters, sneaky little shits. Have you ever tried to pick up a leprechaun? I have, and they bite your fingers off. It's wonderful."

Hearing Roman put on the accent when he explained why leprechauns wasn't lame earned him a genuine laugh from Samuel. Because it was silly and the contrast between his boyfriend speaking in an Irish accent while defending the totally lame creature and him talking about his phobia just a minute ago was kind of absurd.

"Okay, conspiracy theory," he started once he could speak without breaking out in a fit of ridiculous giggles, "The reason you even brought them up is because you're actually like twelve leprechauns in a people suit"

Samuel announced this as if it was the absolute truth, but as usual he could only keep up a serious face for a moment before his expression turned back into a smiling one.

"And you're so ridiculously tall because they miscalculated how many of them it would take to make up a human"

r o m a n
At Samuel's silly conspiracy theory Roman burst out in a fit of laughter, it was truly hilarious. Of course, there was no way it could be possible, but that was what made it so funny. He sat up, still laughing, and pulled Samuel onto his lap, nuzzling his face into his shoulder for a moment with nothing but tender affection in his movements.

"Ah, laddie, you've caught me out on my secret," he said, his Irish accent breaking a little with the fits of laughter he was in. "I am indeed a collection of leprechauns. We only want to live a normal life."

Roman peppered Samuel's face with kisses and and gave him a tight hug.

"I love you so much," he whispered, in his normal voice. "God, Samuel, you just make me so happy."

"I love you too," Samuel said with a smile bright after all of the little kisses and added with a light chuckle, "even though you're a bunch of tiny men pretending to be a teenage boy"

Then her leaned in closer into the hug, wrapped his arms around Roman as well and was quiet for a moment, eyes closed, enjoying feeling his boyfriend so close, his warmth, his scent and being held by him.

"I really don't know what I'd do without you," Samuel mumbled. He had said that before, but only when Roman had been comforting him because he was sad. The statement was just as true in the happy moments though, Roman made him happier than anything and Samuel could barely even imagine things being in a different way when he was with him.

r o m a n
Some time had passed -- three weeks to be exact -- and a very tired Roman was currently trudging down the train aisles to find a four-seat space for himself, his boyfriend and his friends to claim for the two-hour trip from Maryborough to Melbourne. "The things we do for these fuckers," Elliot remarked, flopping down in one seat with Blake by his side.

"And who are 'these fuckers'?" Blake asked, looking tired enough to kill someone if they fucked with her.

"Our friends who can't be fucked coming to Maryborough to see us."

"Stop bitching." Roman sat down on the floor of the train at Samuel's feet with Bella across from him as he began doing her makeup, like he always did when they went to the city for pride events. It was a pain in the ass to travel two hours, starting from seven in the morning, to get to the city but it really was worth it. They were wonderful experiences.

As he applied a blend of pink and purple to Bella's eyelids, he glanced up at Samuel. "You excited?"

Samuel really appreciated that the weeks leading up to him, Roman and Romans friends walking into a train at seven in the morning had been pretty uneventful. It was nice to just live life as normal for once. But now they were on their way to Melbourne for a pride event, which wasn't all that weird but it certainly was a new experience and something Samuel wouldn't have even dreamt of doing a while back.

He wasn't entirely sure how to feel about tagging along with his boyfriend and his friends to the pride event. He had already come to the conclusion that it probably was good for him back when Roman had gotten the idea to bring he with, but at the end of the day Samuel was more of a talk one on one kind of guy not an events and gatherings one and he had no idea how the day would turn out.

He hoped it would be fun, though, And that was enough to make him somewhat excited on top of being tired from waking up early.

"Yeah, sure" he replied to his boyfriends question, with a yawn that more reflected the part of him that felt tired rather than the one that was excited, but everyone seemed tired so Samuel didn't think anyone would blame him from that.

r o m a n
"Oh, yeah, you sound ecstatic," Roman said sarcastically with an affectionate roll of his eyes. Elliot and Blake were already asleep again and Bella looked just about ready to nod off. Roman kept her awake by doing her makeup and then making her hold the mirror for him to do his own, which just consisted of bright purple winged eyeliner, black eyeliner in his waterline and little glitters on his eyelids.

Once he was done, Roman climbed onto Samuel's lap and pulled the fluffy blanket out of his bag, throwing it over the two of them. By this time the train had been moving for about half an hour and Bella was asleep too. Roman brushed his fingers through Samuel's hair and looked down at him affectionately.

"Tell me how you're feeling," he requested softly.

"I'm tired" Samuel complained with a light chuckle before letting his eyes flicker briefly around to the rest of the accompanying people to make sure they were asleep, at which he snuggled a little closer to his boyfriend before continuing in a mumble, "I mean I think this will be fun? I dunno, I just always feel weird hanging with other people's friends and stuff"

He shrugged, he had been a pretty shy kid but it was one of those things his dad hadn't liked him being, and playing a team sport had trained it away quite a bit, he just had to get a little comfortable or hang around someone he knew now a days, he talked to people and had fun just fine otherwise.

r o m a n
"They're nice," Roman assured Samuel, still combing through his hair with his fingers. "I checked the list of people who are coming -- I know all of them and I've never had any issues with any of them." There was about sixty or so people coming and Roman was at least acquaintances with each, which he was used to. People gravitated towards him, so he had many friends.

"But if you feel uncomfortable with anyone just let me know and we'll leave," he murmured, kissing the top of Samuel's head and then his cheek. "My first pride event was a total shitshow. I only knew Bella and we almost got kicked out because we were dating and weren't considered gay enough."

He rolled his eyes and rested his head on Samuel's. "But that won't happen to you. Everyone knows me now so everyone will be nice to you or I'll throw them in the Yarra river."

"It's astonishing how no matter what kind of people you hang around there's always at least someone who's an asshole" Samuel said in reference to the story of Romans first pride event.

He absentmindedly grabbed on of his boyfriends hand gently turning it, tracing the lines in his hands with his own fingers before bringing it up to his moth and kissing it sweetly.

"I trust that the people you know are nice though" he said and continued on with the tracing, "I guess I'm just shy or whatever"

He decided to just admit the last part even if he did find it a little embarrassing to say even to Roman.

r o m a n
That made a lot more sense. Roman gently hugged his boyfriend and kissed him on the lips. "Just stick with me," he murmured. "You'll be fine, I promise you."

At nine in the morning, the train arrived at Southern Cross, the biggest train station in Melbourne. Roman lead the small group off the train, through the ticket barriers and straight onto a Metro train to Flinders Street -- the second-biggest train station on the opposite side of the city. There, they got off the train and meandered down Elizabeth Street to McDonald's where they could eat breakfast, as despite everyone sleeping over at Roman's the night before, no one had eaten yet.

"I have a headache," Elliot whined over his breakfast burger. Roman, ever the only useful one in this group, handed over two painkillers and then took his own, along with the rest of his pills for breakfast.

"What are we even going to?" asked a very groggy and tired Blake.

"Tie-dye in the park," Roman replied. "It's in Richmond." A close suburb of Melbourne.

He turned to Samuel and kissed him on the cheek. "How often do you come to the city?" he asked. Roman was only eating hash browns and a chocolate thickshake since he didn't like burgers.

Samuel was too tired to care about his boyfriend kissing him in public even though it had taken him an entire day to be comfortable with that the last time they had gone out of time. If Samuel thought about it his not caring could also be due to the fact that they weren't just the two of them right then and being more people made them both less approachable and less attention grabbing. Then again, they were in a much bigger town, people were bound to be more progressive, to begin with so there was probably even less to worry about. So Samuel didn't and just answered his Romans question instead.

"Not that often" and sipped on the still too warm coffee he had ordered in an attempt to hopefully get some energy, he jut ended up burning his tongue ever so slightly but not enough to pull a face and he continued speaking as if it hadn't happened, "Only to visit my aunt and cousins really"

"Let me taste, please?" Samuel continued in a tone that hopefully was sweet enough to convince Roman to share some of the shake Samuel was alluding to. Because the coffee was too hot and now he felt like Roman defensively had made the smarter choice in drinks. Not in food though, when they had ordered the food Samuel had made sure to roll his eyes at his boyfriends dumb and cute eating habits.

r o m a n
Roman immediately handed Samuel his chocolate thickshake and stole his coffee, sipping it heavily and not caring that it burned his tongue because ninety percent of the time, he ate his food right out of the oven since he was always hungry. Once the small group was finished with their breakfast, Roman took Samuel's hand and lead them all back to Flinders Street, where they boarded another Metro train to Richmond.

By the time they reached their destination -- which was only ten minutes or so -- most everyone was properly awake and the usual excitement started to seep back into the group of friends. They walked to the park in which the event was being held, and where a group of fifty or so people wearing bright clothes and sporting bright hair and many piercings sat, already working on their tie-dye garments.

Roman smirked as they approached. "'Sup, motherfuckers?" he called.

Almost everyone looked up and everyone recognised Roman, and he was greeted with cheers of welcome and actual clapping, to which he took a sarcastic bow. A couple of people stood up -- one a very tiny Asian girl with short blue hair and the other a thin, dark-skinned kid with a septum piercing -- stood up and hugged him. "Roman, we didn't think you'd show!" said the girl.

"Why the fuck would you think that?" Roman flicked her on the forehead. "It's not a party if I'm not here, right?"

"True," said the guy. He noticed Samuel. "Who's this?"

"This is my boyfriend, Samuel Ortega," Roman replied, hooking an arm around Samuel's shoulders. The girl clapped happily and the guy quirked an eyebrow. "Samuel, this is Kitty Somerset and Miles Tatchell."

Kitty and Miles exchanged greetings, Miles somewhat reluctantly, and went back to their friends. Roman went through the crowd of people when they called him over, dragging Samuel everywhere and politely introducing him to everyone. He exchanged pleasantries with his friends as if they had just seen one another the day before.

It was a little weird meeting all these people who had known his boyfriend and been friends with him long before Samuel even spoke to him. Seeing Roman speak to them as if they hung out every other day. It wasn't something that bothered him so much as it made him wish he had befriended Roman a lot earlier as well.

After being introduced everyone, which was way too many people for Samuel to even pretend he would remember all names and faces, he both felt a little more comfortable and a little more out of place.

Normally his blue chinos and white T-shirt would have been something that made him feel like one in the crowd, but in a sea of dyed hair and piercings he couldn't help but notice he was the one in the minority by dressing plainly.

Still, though, the introduction did make him a little more relaxed just about everyone seemed nice even if Samuel's hellos were a little awkward and even if he very noticeably clung to his boyfriend due to nerves. Nobody seemed to really judge him at all for being shy which was something new but also something well appreciated.

"How is it even possible to know this many people" Samuel mumbled to his, apparently but also unsurprisingly, popular boyfriend as he waited for him to drag him along to do whatever Roman decided they'd do next "I can barely even remember like five names"

r o m a n
"Bella, Ell, Blake and I spent the summer staying with Bell's aunt in the city so we went to pride events every other day," Roman explained with a shrug as he reached into his backpack and pulled out two plain white T-shirts, one of which he handed to Samuel. "So we met everyone and people just naturally like me so I made a lot of friends." He shrugged as if it were the most normal thing in the world.

Roman lead Samuel over to the actual tie-dye station, which consisted of a couple of buckets of water, several bottles of dye and a billion elastic bands. He sat down with Samuel and squirted blue, purple and pink die onto his T-shirt -- bisexual colours -- before wrapping it up and securing some elastic bands around the wad of fabric to achieve the tie-dye effect. Once he and Samuel had both put their shirts on the line to do their thing, Roman lead his boyfriend over to a large circle of people who were passing snacks around and talking.

Roman sat Samuel down between himself and Bella so he felt more comfortable and Miles claimed the space on Roman's other side.

"So where the fuck have you been?" a purple-haired girl by the name of Matilda called over to Roman before tossing him a bag of Doritos.

"Shit, sorry, I take my education seriously," Roman teased back. "Nah. Do you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to get down here?"

"Excuses, excuses. Admit it, you've just been getting busy." Matilda waggled her eyebrows and glanced at Samuel. Roman flipped her off as someone else handed him a bottle of purple glitter hairspray.

Roman tossed it through his brown locks before looking at Samuel. "You want some?" he asked, gesturing to the bottle.

After some time doing the tie-dyeing thing, which he managed to do somewhat right with the help of Roman, Samuel was seated by his boyfriend between him and Bella in a large circle of people and got ready to just do his usual thing of listening and observing more than partaking in conversation, and only really speak when addressed. Which he was sure Roman was used to seeing by now since he was a lot more talkative when it was just the two of them, and maybe London and Evan, compared to when they hung out with the rest of Romans friends as well.

Roman was, of course, addressed as soon as they sat down and if Samuel knew himself he was probably blushing slightly at the girls comment while at the same time being a little envious over how open and noncaring both her and his boyfriend was about joking around like that in front of so many people. He didn't give it much more thought though and answered Romans question instead.

"No that's fine," Samuel said somewhat sheepishly, Roman was the kind of person to pull something like that off, not him. Samuel knew that wasn't the point though and that he was being kind of boring, but coloured hairspray and glitter was just something he wasn't going to jump at the idea of after years of being told boys shouldn't do girly things.

r o m a n
Roman didn't care when Samuel declined the hairspray, it just wasn't his thing. He added some more to his own hair and passed the bottle along to Miles, who commented, "Wow, Roman, way to fall for a straight guy."

It was quiet enough for just Roman, Samuel and Bella to hear, and Roman rose an eyebrow at his friend, who was adding the hairspray to his bleached white hair. "What was that?" he asked pleasantly.

"I mean, are you sure he's even gay? He looks --"

"I am very sure," Roman said in the same pleasant tone before Miles could give Samuel another complex about his sexuality. "Anything else?"

Miles shrugged casually. "Nope."

"Good." Roman hooked an arm around Samuel's shoulders, kissed him on the cheek and exchanged a disgusted look with Bella when Miles couldn't see. "Don't listen to him, baby, he's just jealous he's not as hot as you," Roman told his boyfriend.

Samuel tensed up slightly when the guy next to Roman, who's name he did remember was Miles as it was one of the people he had been introduced to first, talked about him as if he wasn't there, saying he seemed straight.

So at home half of the people he knew had completely rejected him but here he didn't even look gay enough? Awesome.

Samuel didn't think he would ever get to a point where being told he was straight would actually hurt. It might have been the fact that it managed to hit pretty spot on on the fact that he already had felt out of place that made it worse, or maybe that it was someone who had been introduced as a friend of Roman.

He wasn't going to let this bring him down to much though. Or at least he would try not to let it get to him. He still let a sigh slip as he rested his head on his boyfriend's shoulder but when he spoke it was with a chuckle.

"Yeah sure, let's go with that" the words came out a little more tired than he had meant, but he turned his head and kissed Romans cheek back as a way to tell him he appreciated him trying to make him feel better.

Samuel could kind of understand why Roman had been so angry back after he had met Brontë now, it was probably worse getting rejected for part of your identity than to just have someone say you looked straight though.

Last edited:
r o m a n
Roman was absolutely furious at Miles and Miles knew this, as the boy moved away after Roman had been glaring at him for a few solid minutes. He was replaced by Matilda, who handed both boys a package of gummy bears and a can of Coke. Roman thanked her and pulled Samuel into his lap, holding him securely against his chest as if he dared someone else to insult him.

"Roman, calm down."

"I have never been more calm in my entire life, Matilda, but thank you for your concern," Roman said pleasantly.

"You gonna kill Miles?"

"Fuck oath I am."

"I think he's still salty at Elliot for that thing."

Roman scoffed. "So he takes it out on my boyfriend?"

"He's just insecure about himself."

Roman rolled his eyes and looked up at Samuel. "For context, Miles tried to hit on Elliot but Elliot thought he was straight and so that's why he said that to you. There's nothing wrong with you."

Although Samuel wouldn't have said anything if Miles had stayed he wasn't going to pretend he wasn't glad he left. Or that it resulted in Roman pulled him into his lap. That was a nice thing to come out of something bad.

He listened to the girl who came to sit down in miles place and an obviously irritated Roman's conversation at what had happened, slightly confused until he got an explanation.

It was better to know that the hostility hadn't come completely out of nowhere, it was still shitty it had to happen though because Samuel knew the possibility of him not just letting it go and being concerned about this the rest of the day was there.

"Oh okay, that's kind of a relief I guess" Samuel mumbled and then turned to smile at his boyfriend "Thank you for defending my honour with your glare of death"

Then he turned to the girl, deciding he'd rather try to have a good time than to dwell over something some guy he didn't even know had said.

"So, it's Matilda, right?" Samuel was pretty sure Roman had just said the girls name but he had been busy trying to figure out the other parts of the conversation so he wasn't sure if he picked it up right, and it didn't hurt to ask "Sorry I'm trying to remember names"