Salmonella Outbreak!

• Thread starter Fel of the Eternal Forest
  • Start date
F

Fel of the Eternal Forest

Original poster
EXCERPT FROM MY EMAIL: (EMAILED BY WEBMD)

"In what's being called one of the largest meat recalls ever, meat processing giant Cargill is recalling 36 million pounds of fresh and frozen ground turkey linked to a nationwide salmonella outbreak that has killed one person and sickened many others. The meat was distributed to major grocers nationwide."

Ok. I know that most of you probably don't eat ground turkey burgers, but this is probably the biggest food safety blunder in quite a few years. The FDA obviously isn't up to snuff on their testing.

Give me your thoughts/comments or be beaten with a stick. Or, nothing at all.

It makes me pretty glad I only eat meat occasionally. Less chances of this happening.

Also, there is definitely something wrong with the food industry.

Luckily, I really really hate the texture of ground turkey. x____x So I never buy it!

O.o

Good thing I don't eat ground turkey.

I was going to buy some ground turkey the other day to put in the burritos I planned on for dinner. D: But the beef was cheaper... So I bought beef. This really is unfortunate to hear about.

THIS SOUNDS UNAPPEALING.

The FDA is underfunded, understaffed, and spread far too thin. That and who knows how much they’re influenced and controlled by the companies that they are supposed to monitor (which seems to occur in most regulatory agencies).

So really, no surprise... things like this will continue to happen, and more than likely will continue to happen in greater frequency in the coming years.

Damn, I eat ground turkey a lot > < Hopefully none of those nasty little bugs are inhabiting my dinner.

Salmonella: Best. Weight loss. Program. Evar.

Seriously, though, it's stuff like this that indicates to me that the FDA really isn't up to snuff when it comes to testing our food. Worse, this sort of thing is becoming more and more frequent as time goes on.

Essentially, it all boils down to this: Sooner or later, we will get to the point where we won't know something is truly safe unless we grow it or kill it ourselves. Some could argue that we are already at that point.

Remember that whole representative government thing,yeah, neither do I. The sad thing is that these big food companies spend a few pennies to influence congressional leaders. We're worried about safety, the buzz word will be loss of jobs. It's only when the public gets pissed off does anything change. The FDA has no teeth when it comes to meat inspection. Don't write your congressman, vote with your own pocket book. Ask your butcher where your meat is coming from. There are still plenty of independent ranchers, but their numbers are dwindling. The price might be higher, but not by much and you will have first hand knowledge of where your dinner came from. Same with poultry farms.

If people keep bring this up maybe our government will do what is right, but GMOs are still getting lose and into other farms, illegal immigrants are still being blamed for being in this country instead of those making promises to them. Besides, we'd have to start paying the real cost of our food if everyone got a fair wage and we stopped subsidizing food that is over eaten.

I'm getting off my soap box before I go further.