Salamander

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Salt Lord

"Gods of the sea, is it really so strange here to be naked?" Callum smirked and shook his head. "To be honest I am like this because my clothes are drying, but it shouldn't be the biggest deal in the world. Don't you like what you see?" Callum laughed and opened his arms wide to allow her all the sight that she needed. "besides you obviously fell from the sky for me, not that I appreciate the landing all that much, but either way." Callum stepped forward towards her, first stabbing his long curved blade into the ground. "See no weapon, I don't wanna kill anybody right now, and you being a pretty lady gives you a one up on my list for not getting killed by me. I am Callum, and you are?""

@Wolfsin

"Ugh. Fine. I suppose we could work together," Celica stated, thinking of his action of further revealing his skin as corny. "You're lucky you have a reasonable excuse for not having anthing on," she began as she walked past him, "Because otherwise every bone in your body would be broken by now," the blonde finished her sentence, giving Callum's nuts a hard squeeze on the word 'broken'. Celica didn't let go as she started returning her name, "I'm Celica. But that's "Sir" to you." She let go and continued the search for her magic.

Dead butterflies littered the ground and floated on the murky pond.

The sticky remains of the carnivorous plant oozed in rivulets through the grass. Its sharp dead maw lay open and rotting in the dappled sunlight.

Human blood seeped into the dirt. Human screams reverberated against the once peaceful mountain walls.

Underground, the horned serpent hissed deep and low. Agitated, it writhed and scraped against the cavern walls, curling and uncurling around Seventy.

It raised its head -- higher and higher -- until its great round eye peered up through the hole that Seventy had dug. The serpent stared blinking at the sun and the waves of drooping branches, and then it spotted movement that did not belong. There was a flash of a sword, and another scream.

The serpent's body slithered and swept all around the cavern, racing past Seventy in an endless rush of mossy fur and scales. With a dip of its head, it quickly and gently scooped Seventy into its mouth and closed its jaws around him like a cage.

Seventy was trapped in the damp, dark coolness of the serpent's mouth, cushioned by its tongue.

In the same motion the serpent rushed at the hole in the ceiling.

At the center of the pond, the great tree shook. Wood creaked and cracked. The tree shook and splintered and tipped to one side while water splashed and rushed and surged. Soon the pond water plummeted, roaring, into a chasm being torn open from beneath the tree.

With a rumble like thunder the tree toppled on its side, and the pond drained noisily -- and the fanged, horned head of the serpent ripped out of the tree's vast roots as if they were fragile thread.

The serpent laid its head along the tree and slithered out of the watery whirlpool it had created. The great beast was covered in bright green moss and matted black fur and green scales that shimmered in the spots of sunlight; it moved with a writhing, undulating movement, weaving among the fallen tree's branches. Half of its body was still underground when it raised its head high and scanned the gully.

Finally, it opened its jaws just enough for Seventy to get a good look at the tops of the trees and the edge of the mountains, and the people standing scattered below.

@Salt Lord and To anyone it may concern.

Callums expression changed almost immediately when the girl grasped his jewels. Not hesitating for her to even finish what she were saying as he could already predict every word, or well almost. His eyes had turn into almost serpentine slits and he edged forward mostly like a ghost as he revealed his headden dagger and pinned it against the womans throat. She could hold onto him all she wanted, but he was about done with her attitude, and foreplay was growing boring. "And you remember that if I wanted to stab you, slash you, take your or whatever else... I also could have already, now kindly let go of me before slit your pretty little throat. Learn some manners.... and try to wait until iv cooked you dinner first the next time..." His words were venomous, evil in a way. They were drowned out at the end though.

A sudden roar that sounded like the crack of thunder rolled through the valley and Callum followed the sound only when the woman released him, as he stepped around her and ran over to a clear view to pear out at the pond. only the pond was nothing normal anymore... a lashing and deathly whirlpool that threatened to pull the world in if it were allowed. Jack had seen things like this all his life, it was nothing to scare him but to see it happening in a pond and when he realized the cause of such a disruption, he was well on his way to grab his sword where he'd left in the ground as he rejoined next to Celica. "There is something very wrong with this.. Place." His words were lifeless and the emotioness smile that stayed upon his face betrayed the worry he felt.

Callum watched the serpent and the pool and just found himself waiting to see what happened next. his clothes were all the way on the other damn side of the pond... and naked for the remainder of his life was starting to sound like a grand old time. I mean look at all the attention his balls had gotten already.

• Love
Reactions: 2 people
Raigen Zushira

The moment the first tremor shot through the ground Raigen looked past his insane opponent to the girl who had been helped by yet another unknown warrior, thinking it may have been that battle that caused the earth to shake. But that battle had long since past. He returned his attention to Cicera but before his battle with the murderous jester could commence a sound like cannon fire shredding through wood erupted from behind the Samurai as the tree in the middle of the pond was destroyed.

Instinctively Raigen jumped to the side, rolling past Cicera and out of the way. In the motion of the spin of getting up Raigen drew his longsword and sheathed his katana but the brave stance quickly faltered as he took in the sight of the massive beast that had just risen from underneath them.

"That... is a big snake." He whispered picking the tip of this blade back up off the ground. He swung the blade to his left side before starting to sprint towards the serpent like creature. The moment Raigen thought he was close enough he stopped in his tracks and swung his blade round, resting it on his shoulder. "Be you a snake or a dragon, great beast?! Are you friend or foe?!" He shouted at the top of his lungs, hoping to get an answer. "Be my foe, I dare you. To kill a beast like you singlehandedly would make for a most brilliant story." Raigen muttered behind his mask with a toothy grin.

Reactions: Beak
Celica, unamused by Callum's threat, simply let go with a grunt when she heard a great thunder-like crash shake the earth around them. A giant serpentine figure protruded out of what used to be a cave, peering out at this wicked forest, and what appeared to be in it's open mouth was... another human...?

Her thoughts were broken by the smiling Callum's obvious statement. "I can see that," she replied with a clear hint of irritation in her voice. Noticing the man eyeing his garments on the other side of the dried up lake, Celica smiled slightly. "If you're okay with flirting with women without clothes, then you should be fine fighting a snake without clothes." Her smiled twisted back into a frown as she continued to look at the serpent. "I just hope it's not too much bigger than Halloween..."

• Love
She struggled on the ground, uncertain on her feet. Flame-Wakes had seen it in warriors who had sought the spirits in fire, and stared too long and too deeply into it. They returned damaged, and were never as good of hunters again. And suddenly the walking stick made sense. When your eyes could not be trusted, rely on your other senses. Speaking of which, where was the thing-? He glanced back at the now wilted monster. Ah... He'd make her another one. But then he actually started to look at the girl. Her skin was the color of goat's milk, and her eyes a chocolate shade of brown, though they were beginning to show a pale film. Her red-brown hair fell down to her shoulders, something nearly universally forbidden among the Iniarna. If one were to hunt, would you rather look beautiful in the eyes of the beast or not get caught in its grip? But it only supported what he knew already: She was a Woman of the West. A grimace came to his face as he looked at her, more by instinct rather than actual distaste. The elders couldn't fault him for trying to save a perceived innocent, but he would be shunned for risking his life for an enemy. If he left now, he could avoid any further sin. But she'd been splattered with the blood... He knew what it could mean. He could help her, or leave her to die.

"I...I don't understand...what you're saying... Do you speak...French? Or Spanish? I...really don't know what you want, but...thank you for your help..." She wasn't hostile, that much was clear. Perhaps she was only an innocent. And if she were, he had to uphold his honor. Lives were sacred, and needed to be preserved.

"What's going on? What was that thing? And...where are we? Did you bring me here?" He spoke a little bit of Westlander. How does one hunt your prey if you do not know your prey? She did ask many questions. She was trying to get to her feet, and Flame-Wakes reached for his belt knife. He held his hand out, indicating that she should stay on the ground.

"No." He spoke... Very little Westlander. "Name?" She was getting sluggish. The poison would not have gone through an open wound, but could still seep through her skin. He'd have to see what could be done about it later. As he moved closer to inspect her for any weapons, the ground began to shake. A crack like thunder rang out in the air, and a dragon's roar echoed through the trees. Previously unseen creatures scattered from their hiding places, and Flame-Wakes heard further rumbling in the distance. "Now go!" Ignoring any of her protests, he sheathed his knife and readjusted his spear, then looped his arms under her legs and head. He started running in the opposite direction of the noise, hoping to find somewhere to hide.

@Phi Chisym

Last edited by a moderator:
The noises of chaos and destruction only barily got to Daegon's ear, making him stop for a few seconds to listen to what was going on. "I can only imagine what's going on down there..." the merchant hissed, speeding up his pace. As a person that was used to traveling with loads of expensive goods Daegon was used to the drill; chaos = getting robbed. Avoiding chaos was way better for his overall wellbeing.

A while along the crevasse, there was a bridge. "That can't be right." he frowned, inspecting the old bridge with caution. "Seems safe. You might want to hold on Reitza." Taking in a deep breath, Daegon prepared to run over as his cat climbed onto his shoulder and let out a meow to let her master know she was ready. After casting his fear of heights to one side for a moment Daegon started to sprint over the bridge. The moment his feet touched solid earth he slowed his pace then stopped at the nearest tree to let the adrenaline rush pass. "I think we should follow the river up. Maybe the high ground back at the waterfall would offer a good vantage point." Daegon let his thoughts go on as he continued on his way, scratching his feline friend behind the ear.

The ground on this side of the crevasse was lifted quite a bit. Hopefully no dangerous creatures lurked near the river flowing to the waterfall. When Daegon reached the waterfall he very much regretted his decision as he looked down on what used to be the puddle where he - and quite a few other people had emerged. "Not even a dragon is that big!" he coughed, backing away from the edge some so he wouldn't be noticed so easily, eager to see what happens of the other people beneath him

Abygail Upton

640x906_3152_Bartola_2d_fantasy_girl_woman_face_picture_image_digital_art_zps8vu5jwto.jpg

"No."

Rough, simple...straightforward, and only answered one of her questions. Well, at least Aby knew this man wasn't the perpetrator. But she wished he would fill her in on a few things...answer her questions.

"Name?"

Well, it makes sense. It doesn't hurt to know a person's name. Aby nodded and smiled as friendly as she could in spite how worn out she felt. "I'm Abygail... Aby, for short." She was about to extend her hand warmly and ask him the same thing, but she suddenly didn't feel safe. It wasn't because of the guy; he just saved her after all. Giving him another once over, he didn't seem to be dangerous. Even as he nonchalantly moved closer to her, looking over her as if she had something odd growing out of her flesh, Aby still didn't feel the need to get away. No... What alerted her to danger was a llow vibration beneath her - through the mucky ground she sat on, the earth shook. it was so low she didn't expect anyone else to feel it, but with her senses compensating for the lack of sight, Aby could.

She stopped moving and placed her hands on each side of her legs - to 'listen' to the earth move. Sighing deeply, for she was for certain that, perhaps, the strange sensation was due to the dramatic display she participated in earlier. Her head was beginning to throb and her wrist and torso felt somewhat numb right about then. Even as she tried to concentrate on what she felt, her head wobbled over her shoulders with a growing fever, giving her the whole Pop bobble head doll look. Betcha that LARPer there would really get a kick out of that. No, she must be mistaken. It was all the results of being held upside down for as long as she had - she thought. But then, she felt another wild vibration, this one larger than before. Something was happening beneath them....

With a shake of her head, Aby looked up at the guy with a glazed over expression, "Am I just too tired, or is there a large machine on somewh..."

She jumped with a squeal; the ground shimmy beneath her more this time... continuous, as if some large machine was digging holes below. Her body went ridged with an innate fear and a desperate need to run away. Before anyone could understand what was happening, a loud boom broke the atmosphere and something disturbed the pond she emerged from. Aby couldn't tell what it was, and frankly, with all the unreal sounds it was making, she didn't want to know anymore. Whatever it was, it was huge, it was close, and it was mad! She had mistaken the plant creature that attacked her as some handmade machine. Aby figured that, perhaps, monster number two wasn't a machine...

"I'm not going to be shamed twice!" Pulling herself up to her knees and frantically began to scan the ground with her hands. Aby wasn't planning on staying around to get up close and personal with that creature too, but...where is her cane? She knew she dropped it. "Damn, it has to be close by... Have you seen it?" Twice she lost her balance and topped to her side, only to quickly lift herself back up to continue her search. The screams and cries coming for all the other people there began to drill into her brain and rack her nerves. She wanted to get the hell out of there before something else bad happened, but she just wasn't able to move fast enough or successfully find what she needed to do so.

A huge crack of thunder caused her heart to stop. It sounded like the sky and earth cracked at the same time. Aby froze in place and slowly looked up towards the over cast of trees above them. A unworldly roar wrapped their ears in fear - Aby turned pale; she was about to crash. "What the hell was that?"

"Now go!"

Before she could register what the man beside her said, or to understand what was happening around her, the guy suddenly scooped her off the ground. "HEY! What are you doing?!" PUT ME DOWN!" Kicking and screaming, Aby eventually realized that he wasn't trying to prevent her from running on her own. He was - helping her, helping them, escape. On his feet, the man ran and all Aby could do was wrap her arms around his neck and hold on for dear life. The world was falling apart all around them, it seemed. There's no way she'll be able to navigate around without something to guide her. So, she figured the guy understood well enough that she needed his aid - again! Trying to squint her eyes to look at the scene behind them, she could only register the snake-like shape of the creature now making its way out of the pond. "There's no way that's a machine!"

Last edited:
  • Love
Her punches were soft on his body, bouncing off like pebbles on a boulder. He found more difficulty in maneuvering through the packed jungle floor than in her opposition. Branches snapped out at Flame-Wakes as he ran, foliage slipped from underneath him, and more than once he lost himself in the maze, running into dead ends and false paths innumerable times. All the while, his mind raced against time. How long does she have? What poison is this? Where would an antivenom be found? Is there an antivenom? He didn't even know where he was going. What had he been thinking? No, that wasn't the right train of thought. Flame-Wakes had heard the commotion. He'd run in the opposite direction. Five minutes later, he was exhausted from the run and the Westlander's weight on his back. He carefully set her down on the ground, laying her out spread-eagled. She could choose what to do from there. But Flame-Wakes couldn't help but collapse against a tree. Wiping the sweat from his brow, he looked back the way he'd come. In the distance, he saw the head of a serpent peering out over the treetops. When it saw him, he felt that it stared deep into his soul, piercing down to his very essence.

"Sar moirae dormam..." The gods awaken. A chill went down his spine, and his sweat suddenly seemed a degree colder. He scrabbled against the tree, unsure of whether to tuck tail and run or drop down in obeisance. His foot tangled in the roots of the tree, and Flame-Wakes fell to the ground, hitting his head on a stone. Stars flashed in his vision, and the taste of iron filled his mouth. "Argh..." He managed to sit up, feeling at the back of his head. His hand came away stained red. It would need treatment. Flame-Wakes looked up, and saw what almost looked like a face staring down at him. He dismissed it as a strange distortion of bark in this strange world. Instead, he focused on the roots protruding from the ground that hadn't been there before. Ta-? He glanced at the stone he'd fallen on, and found it to be covered in strange markings. Most were indistinguishable to him, but one seemed to be an arrow of some sorts. Perhaps a marker of some sorts, directing the people of this land to... Where? Flame-Wakes managed to spot another marker a few meters away, overgrown with vines and flower buds.

He couldn't see too deeply into the forest, but Flame-Wakes would bet on the idea that the markers were meant to direct individuals to something important. Perhaps a holy place? "Abygail-Aby-For-Short. We must go. Follow stones." He pointed towards the farther stone.

Abygail Upton

640x906_3152_Bartola_2d_fantasy_girl_woman_face_picture_image_digital_art_zps8vu5jwto.jpg

After exerting her energy for no worthy reason, beating the poor guy up who was trying to help her and all, Abygail eventually just ended her wrath and showed the guy with encouragement. "OMG, faster! Run faster! It's...It's...HUGE!"

It didn't take long before they were away from the point of action, far enough to still hear the other people's screams, but far enough to not become a victim. With her adrenaline up at an all time record high, her pulse skyrocketing, Aby soon realized that there might be something else wrong with her. Looking at her hand, she noticed how the swelling had gone down tremendously. She was even able to flex her fingers into a semi tight fist and actually feel her skin stretch in the process. The pain was bearable. But her headache seemed to heightened with all the noise, and she was breathing as if she was the one running with weight rather than her rescuer. Something definitely wasn't right.

Soon, the guy stopped running and kneel down to the ground to lay her down. Aby hardly realized they'd stopped moving. At this point, she was beginning to feel worse than before. She tried to sit up, only to roll onto her side in order to hold her head up with her good hand. "We've...stopped? When...?" Looking up, she caught the last moments of the guy falling back against a tree so roughly, he ended up on his backside.

Aby would of helped, if she could, to stop him from falling or, at least, slow his descend; but as far as she could tell he was already falling at a considerably slow pace. "How are you able to fall down so gracefully? You move as if you're full of feathers." Completely hallucinating on the chunk of reality before her, the world Aby now took part in was a fluffy cloud of manic sounds of world destruction and blurry revealing visions she wasn't quite able to name this go round. The pounding in her head doubled, and she closed her eyes in hopes that the pain might seize if there was no light. She even covered her eyes with her hands to enhance the darkness, but it didn't matter.

Watching the closer vision of the guy moving about, not quite sure what he was doing and wouldn't know what to say even if she did; Aby dragged herself up on her hands and knees, trying to crawl to his side to see what he was gawking at. But her long maxi skirt kept tripping her up and she topped over each and every time. Eventually, she just stopped moving. The action alone was making her dizzier.

"I...feel so...drunk...," she giggled before taking a deep breath and chased it with an even deeper moan. Holding her head in her hands, Aby fell over into a tiny ball, tucking herself tighter and wrapping an arm over her head.

"Abygail-Aby-For-Short."

Looking up slightly, she almost forgot that the guy was still there. "Whatdidyasay?" Her words sounded so muffled and slurred. It was like her tongue was suddenly swollen.

"We must go. Follow stones." He pointed towards the direction they were going. She couldn't see a thing; just darkness.

"Okay...yougoahead... I'msleepy..." Laying her head down, Aby started wondering how long this odd dream was going to last.

Last edited:
The last of the water drained beneath the uprooted tree, leaving nothing but a slop of mud, algae and wriggling stranded fish where the pond had been. The slick mud squelched and hissed against the beast's fur and scales; the monster shifted and slithered, dipping its head this way and that, high above the treetops. It noted the one standing high on the mountain in fear -- two more hurrying for cover -- and another that addressed the beast directly, weapon flashing.

The serpent's long body rushed and flowed and wound into itself, and its head dipped down again. With gentle care, the beast deposited Seven on the trunk of the fallen tree -- and then it bowed and slithered across the drained pond with clear and focused intent.

The muddy, mossy beast turned and lunged suddenly at Raigen; its enormous jaws opened to devour him whole. Raigen would see coming at him a dark cavernous mouth with rows of teeth like jagged greatswords.

Meanwhile, just as Daegon would see the serpent dip below the trees, a small stone smacked him in the back of the head -- but there was nothing behind him but a few crumbling rocks, where something had been watching him until only a moment ago. He might catch a glimpse of a sinewy shadow sprinting four-footed along the tops of the mountains; it disappeared in a thick growth of trees and was gone.

Flame-Wakes might spot the same shadow in the corner of his eye -- something dark and huge skittering down the mountainside not far from where he stood -- but it was only there for an instant before it slipped into the trees. From that moment, Flame-Wakes and Aby were being watched.

"Do sar moirae!" She was getting worse by the minute. Already unconscious, and the poison had never even touched her blood! Flame-Wakes got his arm around her again, and started on the path once more. It seemed far more clear than before; the markers were slightly overgrown, but they formed a road nonetheless. Packed dirt that had seemed to be little more than a flimsy mass of vine suddenly took shape before Flame-Wakes' eyes, and his struggle finally seemed to be paying off. The girl was lightweight, but it took its toll on Flame-Wakes. He was near collapsing himself when they finally reached the temple. The pair collapsed on the stones of the open-air antechamber, Abygail-Aby-For-Short from her poison, and Flame-Wakes from exhaustion. His only drive at the moment was ending the task at hand, which meant he wasn't very driven at all. He started to doubt the very meaning of what he was doing. Why save this girl? Her people were the enemies of the Iniarna. Why leave her alive to go help them kill his kind? He should end her now. He had a spear, however pathetic it may be. It would be quick to slide it in between her skull and spine. But why make it quick? Her people were criminals. He should slit her throat with his knife. Let her bleed out for as long as it took. Maybe let the blood drip into that trough on the inside of the temple. Yes...

"No..." It was this place. The temple was a place of evil. He should never have come here. But where else to go? This was a place of gods. No matter how vile they are, they'd have to have some form of divine healing. The burst of strength he'd had when he'd intended to kill the girl was gone. Clearly these monsters rewarded hate. But perhaps they'd take something else. Flame-Wakes didn't have the strength to keep carrying the girl, so he grabbed her foot and dragged her. What did it matter if she got a few bruises? She'd be alive later. As he entered the main temple complex, he caught sight of a dark shadow climbing up the mountain the temple was connected to. He had a brief second-thought about entering, but only a brief one.

The main complex was excessively dark, leaving Flame-Wakes virtually blind. More than once he stumbled on a rock, and once he stepped in a puddle where something bit his foot. He was beginning to despise small bodies of water. An infinite number of corridors branched off into shadows, but in the distance, Flame-Wakes saw one glowing. He gave a burst of speed, but before he even started running the door appeared in front of him. Turning in, Flame-Wakes discovered an intricately carved stone altar. It was clearly dedicated to some sort of dark god, confirming Flame-Wakes' theory of the inherent evil of the temple was confirmed. Bones decorated the altar, from skulls to fingers. In between were assorted black and red flowers, which gave the place the smell of perfume and rot. Above were inscribed pictographs which seemed to display a number of people worshiping some form of shapeless deity. And beneath them all, a small and simple wooden bowl. Offerings would go there. But what really caught Flame-Wakes' attention was that one of the human-like figures seemed to be rejuvenated in the gaze of the god. He knew what to do from there. Taking his knife in hand, Flame-Wakes drew a red line up the length of his forearm and allowed the blood to pool into the bowl. It didn't take long to fill the cup. He didn't have time to properly treat the wound, but it wasn't his concern. He pulled the girl up to the altar and sat her up against it. As he did, the offering bowl burst into green flame, lighting the entire room with a spectral glow. Shadows drifted down from the corners and flowed towards the altar, climbing up the girl's body and into her mouth. She writhed and spasmed for a few seconds, and then lay still. The light went out, but the entire temple seemed to have a light source now. Flame-Wakes checked her forehead, and found that the fever she'd had before had vanished. If anything, she felt cold. Like the dead.

"Dorma, neere!" Wake, girl!

@Beak

Raigen Zushira

Raigen stepped back as the serpent started flailing madly before spitting out another person - a captive or perhaps regurgitated lunch. Then the beast suddenly lowered it's head, turning it's attention to the samurai, opening it's jaws wide to reveal rows of spear like fangs and breath that smelled like a rotting carcass "If you wish to die, come at me then!" Raigen shouted at the top of his lungs as his blade was lowered to his side as he ran towards the abyss in front of him.

Everything slowed. Raigen's thoughts rushed through his mind at the speed of light. Thoughts of his childhood, thoughts of home, thoughts of war, of death and of his blade piercing the heart of... Raigen jumped, just in time to not be plowed to death by the creatures scaly head, barely missing it's jaws, but didn't land on his feet, and slid further into its mouth and down its throat. Not once did fear cross the samurai's mind as he plummeted into the dark before finally ending his fall in a pool of some slimy, foul smelling liquid.
Raigen struggled, flailing around as the ooze was difficult to swim through before finally finding some sort of hard substance to climb onto. "None of my weapons seem to have survived the trip down." Raigen muttered to himself, thinking of the moment when he leapt into the creatures mouth, remembering that one of its fangs cut the leather strap holding his katana. All he had left was his long sword and that didn't seem sharp enough to cut the beasts throat when he came down. Maybe it would serve a better use cutting up the creatures softer innards. Raigen got up to take a piss, thinking of it as funny but made a rather useful discovery when he was mid-pee. The moss on the stone in the creatures mouth lit up bright blue when it came into contact with the Samurai's piss. "Best piss ever. Raigen commented, crouching to, without hesitation, scrape up a good handful of glowing moss.

Holding his hand outstretched he had sufficient light to explore the creatures bowels. Well he wasn't going to wait to be 'passed on'. The lives of others depended on him! Raigen covered himself with the moss, making a light source of himself before raising his longsword that now had a broken tip and slashed at the serpents stomach, cleaving his path out. The blood having almost the same reaction as the piss, but made the moss glow green in stead of blue.

Having readjusted his mask Raigen readied himself for whatever awaited him but was thrown off balance as the serpent moved violently. "Not much time" Raigen exclaimed, rushing forward through the wound he had created and started to race through the serpents bowels, trying to find its heart. Did it even have one? Not once did Raigen hear even an echo of a beating heart other than the one in his chest. "I must search on or be forever trapped! Raigen quickened his pace on the ever shifting flesh.

After what felt like an eternity of climbing, crawling, running and slashing Raigen found the creatures heart. It looked as large as a whale. Raigen however was snapped out of his trance like thoughts as a melody entered his ears. At first he wanted to follow it but he resisted, raising his guard. "Reveal yourself! For if I have to find you there won't be much of you left! the samurai threatened, proceeding with caution, closing in on the gigantic heart.

While the shadows swarmed into Aby's mouth -- while her body convulsed and the blood boiled -- the thing from the mountain stooped through the crumbled doorway.

It was huge and dark, and it flickered when it moved -- thick-furred like a bear, upright like a human, with eyes like white lamps staring out of the darkness of its ethereal body. It seethed when it breathed, and it rocked where it stood, incapable of keeping still. The lamp-eyes stared at Aby prone on the altar, then at the light that inexplicably filled the dim underground, then at Flame-Wakes. Its shoulders rose and fell, seething.

Suddenly it was standing very close to Flame-Wakes, without warning nor sign of movement. It closed a cold clawed hand around his injured arm and proceeded to drag him back toward the door, with no more care than Flame-Wakes had done with Aby.

Aby, meanwhile, would find that her sickness had been replaced with a deep, unfathomable cold. She would feel a disorienting sloshing in her skull as the shadows swirled and tossed through her mind. Flashes of her past showed themselves brilliantly to her eyes, interspersed with fuzzy flashes of something else: black and white images of children running up a mountainside, dark wings against an electric sky, candlelight on crowded frightened faces, a shining salamander impaled by a knife on the wall.

Her heart stopped, but she breathed awake.

Outside, the mountains shook with a hellish howl of agony.

Trees crashed and tumbled; the ground buckled and turned; the serpent's body spun and wound and thrashed in a chaos of moss and scales and broken branches and raining leaves.

Inside, by the glow of Raigen's piss-moss, the great heart beat rapidly.

YOU NITWIT

An old man's voice boomed in Raigen's head, laced with pain but mostly mad beyond measure.

PUT AWAY THE POINTY THING OR I'LL DROWN YOU

The beast dove down into the cavern below the pond, and it scooped a mouthful of water into its gullet. Water rushed and hissed around Raigen's knees, threatening to throw him down.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.