Sakura Wars: Camellias unto the Torrent

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hologram Summer

Recently I've had a resurgence of fascination for the Sakura Taisen (known as Sakura Wars in the west) franchise which led me to posting this interest check.

What is Sakura Wars?

For those unfamiliar with the franchise, Sakura Taisen is a series of video games by Sega. The story takes place in an alternate 1920s Tokyo which finds itself besieged by demons. A secret branch of the Imperial Assault Force called the "Flower Division", composed primarily of individuals with strong spiritual energy, are tasked with repelling the demonic threat. There's some mecha elements to Sakura Taisen as the Flower Division uses steam powered mechas called "kobu" to combat demons. The Flower Division also performs theatrical plays in the Imperial Theater as a means of covering up their operation as well as honing their spiritual prowess.

Plot & Setting

This RPs plot will have a different setting and a slightly darker tone. Camellias unto the Torrent will be set in 1945, a few months after the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Apart from causing widespread destruction and casualties, the atomic bomb dropped in Hiroshima has awoken something sinister slumbering underneath the earth. Reports of demonic activities in Hiroshima's ruins begin circulating and a deadly miasma permeates the area. In October of 1945, Hiroshima's neighboring city of Miyajima is attacked by demons and the Japanese army only barely repelled the assault after a grueling skirmish.

Realizing that their old enemy has resurfaced, the government enacts the Ground Zero Spiritual Defense Act and a new counter demon task force is assembled to battle the evil dwelling underneath Hiroshima's scorched earth.

So that's the premise of the RP. All characters in the will be completely original and non-canon.

If you find this interesting or have questions and suggestions about this idea, please feel free to leave a message here or send me a PM. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you soon!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: YuriLucien
I know very little overall about Sakura Taisen, but I know of it. And it's cool to see this, then. I'm not sure I'd be a good fit, or not, but I'm interested enough. Hope this gets off the ground.

@R-9 Pilot

Thank you for showing interest in this idea!

I'll make sure to thoroughly explain concepts that I borrow from the source material so everyone can keep up.

I doubt I'd be alone in needing some explanation for things. But, fighting demons in postwar Japan (with more modernized mecha) and working takarazuka theater sounds like good fun.

Indeed!

I may tweak the Takarazuka (all female) part though to create more diversity with the cast.

Last edited:
Yeah, might want more gender diversity. And I do know there's some precedent for male characters anyway. I'm not sure on the details, just that the protagonist is male.

Man that song brings back memories. And how did I forget Madhouse did this masterpiece? XD I'd be interested!

@YuriLucien

Yay! Thank you for showing interest.

It really is one of the criminally underrated anime gems of the 2000s.

@YuriLucien

Yay! Thank you for showing interest.

It really is one of the criminally underrated anime gems of the 2000s.
Very much so! I wish they had released the game here, too. I should have bought it when I was in Japan. ;-; I regret that decision everyday lol. XD

Yeah, as far as I know only the 5th game was localized. It was good but didn't quite had the charm of the original.

By the way, anyone want to share their character ideas?

flrwRJX.jpg

I'll probably play as the team captain of the Flower Division. He's a hibakusha (survivor of the bombings) with a sketchy past. Nobody in the army has even heard of him until his appointment to the flower division. He'll be an easygoing and reliable guy but pretty dodgy when it comes to his past.

Yeah, as far as I know only the 5th game was localized. It was good but didn't quite had the charm of the original.

By the way, anyone want to share their character ideas?

flrwRJX.jpg

I'll probably play as the team captain of the Flower Division. He's a hibakusha (survivor of the bombings) with a sketchy past. Nobody in the army has even heard of him until his appointment to the flower division. He'll be an easygoing and reliable guy but pretty dodgy when it comes to his past.
Yeah, I have the one for the Wii. I just haven't had time to finish it. I do really enjoy the lead lady, though. :3

Ooo, I like his concept! I'm thinking I'll go out of my usual style and app an assassin Geisha that has been accepted into the Flower Division. :3 If that works, of course?

Oooh Gemini Sunrise! Yeah she's cool, especially the part that she keeps a horse in her New York apartment. She's definitely more enjoyable than Erica Fontaine (Paris arc leading lady).

And your character idea is perfectly fine with me.

Oooh Gemini Sunrise! Yeah she's cool, especially the part that she keeps a horse in her New York apartment. She's definitely more enjoyable than Erica Fontaine (Paris arc leading lady).

And your character idea is perfectly fine with me.
Gemini is fun! The Paris game could have had more going on. XD

And awesome! I'll start developing her more then! <3

I might also open up slots for the other divisions other than the Hanagumi if we get more people to join in.

There's the Tsukigumi or Moon Division which handles scouting and espionage missions, the Kazegumi or Wind Division which handles logistics and battlefield surveillance, and the Yumegumi or Dream Division which does research work on demons.

I'm not sure what I'd do, though it would probably be something like either a fresh recruit with little going for her but swordsmanship skill and optimism, or more of a veteran and consummate soldier type.

Beyond that, I don't have much, as I'm not particularly familiar with either the source material or the time period. Atomic weapons, I k now a bit about, but that's about it. Hopefully ,fun with geiger counters will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.