Sailor Moon Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love you for putting this here. I had no idea the first episode was out yet. *flits off to go watch it*

Even anime is getting on the reboot wagon! I will wait until a few more eps come out. Buys me time to catch up on some other shows from this year.

So we're at episode three, what do people think so far? I'm liking how the storyline is flowing. I think they did a very good job adapting the manga into anime form. Art wise I'm not as impressed. Some places it's beautiful, other times I feel like the art was rushed.

I really, really hate the art style. Maybe cause it's too manga and I've always found manga style to be too exaggerated when it comes to anatomy. I also hate the CG scenes. I dont get it. What's the purpose. It sticks out in a weird way? I feel that's so...random? And I never read more than the first two chapters of the manga...and I always get a little thrown off when people say it's closer to the manga. The anime just had other episodes to lengthen it but how Usagi was introduced is practical the same, save for the memories. Same thing with Ami and to some extent, Rei. It doesn't seem very "different" to me.

@Cosmos , it is as I think Ozzie stated, almost scene for scene like the manga, that's how close it is, where as the original anime took the basic storyline and made it into something new. Not worse, just not the same as the manga. This version is an animated version of the manga thus far.

This episode in particular really highlighted the differences between the two, showing the scene with Mamoru on the bus (and having him see Usagi transform) and going with the manga version of Rei's personality. It also hinted at things from the manga storyline that were never included in the anime, but that's SPOILERS.

Jadeite remembered Rei from their time in the Silver Millennium/Golden Kingdom. It's been implied by Takeuchi Naoko that they might have been lovers at the time.

It also may or may not have had Jadeite die where he was "supposed" to. I couldn't tell. Was it just not very clear that he died or did they spare him? I guess we'll figure out next episode.

Point taken. I actually liked that bit with Mamoru seeing her and now I'm curious with how he'll act towards her. What was the difference in Rei's personality? That I didn't noticed and I am just assuming Jadeite escaped. There was no dust particles or anything like that
and it was said all of Mamoru's bodyguards were lovers of the other Guardians/princesses.

In the original anime, Rei is portrayed a lot more feisty and passionate and somewhat silly. In the manga she's more cool and subdued, antisocial, and has a history of being isolated from people (like they mentioned in this episode, due to her powers making people afraid of her, as well as due to some family background stuff). She's much more the traditional shrine maiden archetype in the manga. Anime!Rei was also portrayed as being arguably the closest senshi to Usagi, but in the manga that dynamic is absent (although she has a different but still very close relationship with Minako).

Rei's transformation was badass. O___O She's always so badass.

I really like the new artstyle for all of it's flowyness and how shoujo pretty it is! But in some parts it's really awkward with the anatomy too, I'm still getting used to it. O_O

With it telling the manga story, it's aaaawwesome. I can't wait to see the manga story lines coming to life. >>

Reactions: Stacisaur
HOW DID I NOT NOTICE YOU GUYS HAD THIS THREAD TIL NOW.

-Jumps in the bandwagon SO HARD.-

I still have to watch episode 3.~ phooey

I'm absolutely loving it so far, even the CG scenes. The only real downside I've seen, as others have already pointed out, are the occasional wonky moments in the animation, which I think are shadowed by all the BEAUTIFUL style choices (anyone noticed how Beryl is outlined in RED, making her look all extra evilly awesome?). And even then I don't think it's so bad considering this production probably has a lower budget than a lot of other anime. This is also probably why they opted for CG transformations, since 3D animation is cheaper to produce.

Reactions: Lady B
ok, bishounen senshi green lantern? funny.

attack on crystal? fuckin brilliant. make that happen. umbrellas in the rain never looked that badass.

YES!

tumblr_lnddkj72O01qa7j6do1_500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.