Safe Guard

Claradean looked at him for a moment before she smirked and faced forward, "Because they're scared of something worse inside the Dark Pass."

They continued on their path, the sunlight had completely left them and the trees covered them in their dark blanket, practically swallowing them up for the world to perhaps never see again. After some time, they came to what appeared to be some kind of border with the arching of two trees entwining together as their greeter. This was the Dark Pass, an ominous place that separated them from the safety of one world and the adventure of another. It was considerable darker beyond that border, promising a few thrills and possible scares to those that frightened easily.

"Well, let's go Silas," Claradean urged the man forward, taking his torch and throwing them at the ground, forcing the gathered Malachies to scatter away in fright.

Silas could only imagine what could be in there to cause such. He nonchalant treatment of possibly deadly beings made him all the more confused. As she tossed his torch he looked confused as to how they'd see in there. None the less he gave her a nod to lean on, patting his horse's neck to calm it as he followed her putting his life in her expertise. His hand once more going to rest upon his blade's hilt while he chewed the inside of his lip to steel himself. Staring into the suffocating darkness. It terrified him honestly. Yet he pressed on, not losing track of her horse.

"How do we intend to see? I can barely see my own horse's ears let alone an artifact or worse." H spoke up, his voice a cautious whisper afraid anything louder would invite death himself to meet him. It was all he could do to not tremble in his saddle. To try and look like more than just a frightens and sheltered man to her.

Her back had been turned to him as he questioned her, the woman skillfully maneuvering her horse along the winding path as the darkness encased them. She listened to the screams and howls that pierced the air, the flapping of the wings of flying creatures other than bats, the smell of wet wood and death. After a moment, she turned to face him again, her golden eyes now aglow, as if on fire. She smiled knowingly and gave his hand that was tight around the hilt of his hangar an encouraging pat.

"I can see just fine," she told him mysteriously, her eyes flashing brighter, "and so can the horses."

She patted Brotus' flank and the animal breathed in contentment. She laughed lightly and looked back to Silas, "Everything will be just fine as long as we stay calm and keep on this path. I won't let you get lost or killed, I promise. We made a deal."

Reaching out, she took his hand in hers to ensure him that she was there and she wasn't going to lose him or let him lose her. With her eyes glowing bright, she had a heightened sense of vision that allowed her to see things as clearly as if they were bathed in sunlight. That was what aided her on her adventures before when she had to make her way through pitch black caves and dark caverns. It was an ability she had, but didn't exactly know why. Still, it came in handy, especially at a time like this. To get his mind off of all the things that could startle him, especially when the growls of hungry animals reached their ears, Claradean spoke to the scholar and had him tell her about things he had studied, actually enjoying hearing his tales more than he probably thought she would.

"Tell me about the Great Divide again, Silas," she requested of him, her voice light and warm, "You seemed to enjoy talking about it before. I want to know more."

He nodded slowly to her as she admitting to be able to see while he could barely even see his mount. The sounds about him kept his head on a swivel, his hand remaining upon the hilt of his weapon. Her touch was appreciated none the less, letting him know she was there besides the steady clopping of her horse. With the request he took a long moment, summoning up his thoughts and courage to speak in such a place, as if anything above a whisper and all the creatures would be upon them. None the less he began his ramblings, ending up on tangents and tangents of tangents, much like a teacher who had no students about would. Talking to vent his concern.

Claradean half-listened to the scholar's words for she was using the other half of her listening on the sounds of the darkness around her. She could practically feel his fear and nervousness through his voice, feeling somewhat sorry for the man who honestly had no idea what he was getting himself in to when he decided to go on this journey. Nevertheless, now was not the time to show too much pity for she still had to get him through the Pass alive as she was paid to do.

Without warning, she suddenly stopped their convoy and tensed up as she strained her ears. She then slid down from the horse and landed on her feet lightly; "Keep your hand on the Brotus' saddle," she ordered Silas, putting his hand on the firm leather before moving ahead of the horse who then started to follow her obediently.

They walked for a few more minutes, the sound of sword leaving its' sheath echoing in the air as Claradean revealed her weapon and walked cautiously in front of them. With her enhanced sight, she saw something that made her very wary and even hesitant. A pair of bright red eyes that were peering out at them from the shadows of the trees, manic and demonic as it tried to pin her to the spot. She kept her gaze locked on those eyes, but said nothing to Silas.

Silas stayed near, silencing as she spoke. He gulped, grasping at the saddle in the darkness, hand on his sword ready to draw it. His concern was nearly tangible in the air, the strain of possible horrible death in the cave slowly getting to him. He mainly wanted out, but at this point it was the way infront of them that was more than likely the closest way to safety. He let the horse guide him, his grasp upon the saddle tight while he remained silent, listening to the darkness, trying to find her in it. The horse was following her, okay. Now he had his life in the hands of a pack animal... not a very scholarly thing in his opinion, his rational mind screaming at him for it.

As they drew closer to the creature, Claradean narrowed her eyes to get a closer look at those red orbs staring her down. The body was starting to come into focus, shaggy black fur and razor sharp claws more than foot long. She closer she got, the more she could hear the low growling coming from the beast...that became larger with each passing step. She finally stopped for a few moments, not moving, before quickly putting her sword away and standing completely still. The horses followed her lead, sensing the same beast that stood before them...or, to be more exact, towered over them. It moved and approached them on its' own terms now, it's growling growing louder as its claws scraped the soft, dark Earth. It kept its' head level with Claradean's and, by that point, she could clearly see how large the beast was, it's head bigger than a whole royal carriage.

"Don't move, Silas," she told him as the monster started sniffing at her, "It will react to panic. Just sit completely still and let it do what it finds natural. It's only going to sniff you to make sure you're not dangerous."

To prove her point, Claradean let her arms hang loosely at her side as the beast's giant, cold nose rubbed all over her body, almost burying itself in the crook of her neck. It inhaled rapidly and repeatedly, bumping her a little to see what she would do, before moving on to sniff at the scholar. Claradean could only pray that Silas didn't panic and try to do something or else they could be in really big trouble.

He gulped as they came to a stand still, eyes staring into the darkness, barely able to perceive the red eyes staring at them. He swallowed the lump in his throat as the growling met his untrained ears, sending a shiver down his spine. Her words almost made him question what it was. Though silence formed from fear was his body's reaction to the creature. He had to trust her, already he could smell it's breath as it drew near. He tensed just a bit, hand grasping the hilt of it's sword as it gave him the same treatment it gave her, a slight wince coming as it touched him, it's cold nose pressing harder, almost pushing him off the horse before it let him be as well. His eyes staring forward, trying his damnedest to not breath the retched air about the creature.

"What is... this thing?" He questioned as it sniffed his horse next.

"A Kilka," she answered, watching the beast carefully as it checked the horses by sniffing them, "A very feral beast that can and will attack at a moment's notice, but they're rather smart for simple creatures. This one seems to just be curious by us."

The Kilka let loose a loud roar for no reason other than to make a noise at what he had found walking in his path, rising up on his hind legs before falling back down, causing the ground to quake. He stared at Silas right in his eyes for a very long time before it yelped, turned, and walked on without another glance behind him. Claradean watched it go before she sighed in relief, hopped back up on Brotus, and continued their journey through the Dark Pass.

"See? That wasn't so bad, was it?" she questioned the scholar playfully, feeling she would be doing a lot of teasing on their adventure, "Come on, we better hurry if we don't want to have to camp here for the night."

He gulped, having heard of such creatures before, mainly in fairy tales meant to keep children out of the woods late at night. None the less it made him more worried while he listened to her, watching the great beast. He tended as it roared, the stench of it's breath nearly turning his stomach on itself.

Noe the less he sighed, watching the beast lumber off, leaving them more or less unharmed. He lowered his head, finally able to breathe enough to catch up with his pounding heart. "Says the hardened adventurer..." Silas grumbled looking to her a bit red in the face out of embarrassment from the reaction he had to the beast. The prospect of camping there got his boots into the sides of his horse, urging them forward more. Heaven only knew what else lay in the darkness.

Claradean giggled quietly at Silas' grumbling, finding it endearing since it came from a man who was trying his best to be brave. She wondered sometimes how someone could be so sheltered, but then remembered that no everyone found the world so curious as to go exploring on a whim. They continued through the Dark Pass, coming across several other monstrous creatures that would not be a nice end to their walk. At one point, Claradean spotted a pack of wild Chiklos feasting on the body of a fallen Kilka, the scrawny little boar like creatures tearing into the flesh I the carcass like scavengers. She didn't tell Silas they were there, though, for fear that he would lose the contents of his stomach. The darkness was almost suffocating and the woman was worried that the scholar would not be able to hold out for much longer.

Luckily, there was a light at the end of the tunnel...so to say. They broke through a barrier of black, skeleton branches and were soon bathed in the light of the moon. The gentle rays shines light on their world and the fresh air around them was indication to their accomplishment.

Claradean looked towards Silas, "Okay, Scholar, we're out, but it only gets tougher from here. Are you sure you want to continue? It's not too late to turn back."

A smirk crossed her features as she stared into his eyes, waiting for his reply.

Silas payed attention to what little he could see of her and her horse. Not daring to look into the darkness for fear of finding something looking back at him in return. He could smell death and rot, already such nearly turned his stomach. Keeping a tighter grasp on his horse's reigns while they continued. The light was more than welcomed in his opinion. The cool days falling upon him. Never had he been more enjoyed to see the cold orb in the sky. He nearly wanted to dismount his horse and kiss the ground before he turned his attention back to. His guide and guard. "I never want to go back in there... So yes I want to continue." He replied nodding to her.

He took a moment to look about, admiring true countryside and fresh air. "Though can we camp soon?" He questioned a small growl escaping his belly while he looked back to her.

She grinned teasingly and nodded, "I suppose we could if you feel tired and hungry now. Come, a few more yards up ahead and we'll be able to find a cave to make for good shelter."

In silence, they continued on and sure enough, there came into view a cave. It was rather shallow, too small for any creatures to hide in but big enough to hide them from those same creatures. They dismounted the horses and set them to graze outside the mouth of the cave. Claradean set a fire in no time and got to work making them some food from a couple rabbits she had hunted within a few minutes. It was rather easy, they were everywhere so that's what she went for. Able to relax in the cave a little, she removed her cloak, revealing her womanly curves and figure made more prominent by the tight tunic she wore and freedom-giving shorts. She looked over to Silas.

"How are you feeling, Scholar? Better?" she asked him, genuinely concerned for his well-being.

Silas nodded, even though he had done so little in the pass the fear alone had worn him out and developed a mighty hunger in his gullet. He followed her quietly to the cave, glad to be off his horse, walking a bit funny out of simply not being used to riding for so long. His legs threatened to leave him as he stumbled into the cave. When she made the fire he leaned forward, cracking some sticks to prepare to continue the embers. When she left he removed his belt and pack, resting his sword beside him and roing out his bedroll, the thick blanket and pillow looking so comfortable. With her return he offered a smile, taking out his pan and offering it to her. After all how else would you cook rabbit.

Her question caught him a bit off guard. "I think so, just tired... And sore." He replied offering her a slight smile, doing his best to keep from gawking at her revealed feminine features. It was almost easy for him to believe her male beneath that cloak when she led them. Now he was confronted with the truth. Taking his eyes away he crossed his legs gathering a fork and knife from his bag to eat with.

Claradean took the pan from him, setting it up on the holster over the fire. She wasn't very used to using pans to cook on her adventures, but figured she'd use the one Silas gave her if only to not appear rude. She cooked the rabbits to a tender, juicy finish and gave the scholar his in a bowl. She just ate hers out of the pan, washing it down with some gin and offering it to the scholar.

"So, tell me, why do you want to find such a fabled city, Silas?" she asked the man, eyeing him carefully, "There have been many before you that have sought the same and failed. Do their stories not discourage you?"

Silas remained rather quiet as she cooked, mainly just processing all that had happened in the pass. He still took the rabbit, giving a nod and a thanks before he began to eat. Even out in the woods he ate as if he were in a fine restaurant. Bowl in his lap, using a fork and knife instead if his fingers. A slight pleased groan came, enjoying the food greatly. His stomach slowly stopping its growling. Her words caught him off guard.

"We'll, I know many have failed. But many great accomplishments have had their own share of failure before it is achieved... Plus as opposed to those who came before me I have a map. Dug from the archives and cross checked over previous expeditions."

"A map from a credible source I would hope," she commented lightly, taking the cooked rabbit out of the pan and biting in to it, tearing off chunks of its flesh with her teeth.

She chewed and swallowed her mouthful, eyeing the scholar again as she bit into the rabbit morsel, "So you left your comfortable scholarly life and intelligent colleagues and familiar home to look for the lost city of Atlantis...did you leave a wife behind as well?"

Claradean doubted he was married for what woman would permit her husband to go gallavanting across the country chasing a lost city? Then again, maybe his wife knew this about her husband and understood his intentions, therefore calming her anxieties and quieting her disagreements.

Silas raised a bit of a surprised brow in response to her question. He released a small sigh, taking another bite of his food. "No wife, not even a lover." He replied with near mechanical ease. Women in his city looked for adventurous men or the wealthy. Silas was neither really, though it did explain a bit of why he was going about this quest. "Did I take you away from someone?" He asked lookin back to er, feeling like it was only right after what she had asked.

He looked her over, imagining she had to have a lover. She was an attractive woman after all. He offered a slight smile before returning to his meal, finishing it save for the small bones he tossed into the fire. He added a few more sticks to the fire, just to keep it from dying down too much. He was trying to make himself a bit less of a burden, he knew he had to have been more than enough of one in the pass.

Claradean laughed slightly and shook her head, "Fortunately no, haha. Not many men look to me for wife material. They want sweet and gentle ladies, obedient women that stay put in the house and cook their food and bear them children. I am what they look to when they wish for physical pleasure and release. A woman like me is not what they find to be of marriage material; I'm too rough, too adventurous, too curious."

She shrugged her small shoulders and tossed the remains of her meal into the fire, stretching high a moment later. She looked at Silas again as she leaned back against the wall of the cave, "Have you ever thought about marriage, scholar? I bet you would find yourself happy with a pretty woman of books."

Silas seemed a bit surprised, unsure of how to take her words. She almost made herself sound like a prostitute. None the less the sheer thought of paying her for a night ran through his mind. He could only imagine the things she would do to him. It brought the slightest red to his cheeks and made him shift slightly to... Adjust himself. "No, the women of my city seek the rich and the rough in men. I... As you can tell.. Am not. Hells, I gave you my life's savings for this expedition." He replied softly, the fact that he had given him nearly all of his money helping to calm him a bit after previous thoughts.

"Besides, I am not extraordinarily handsome..." Releasing a sigh he leaned back as well, bunching up his pack into the small I his back to support. "Maybe if I survive this trip I'll at least be rough... er." A chuckle escaped him at the thought, shaking his head. "To be honest, I'd rather have a woman who offered me excitement than one just like me. I've lived with me this long, I'm not sure how well I could live with another me."