RuPaul's Drag Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lady B

Original poster
Friendly Reminder: This thread is not a debate. Not about the drag or LGBT community, or anything.
If you dislike the contents of this thread, you are free to voice that opinion, but please do so discreetly and understandingly of others.

A couple years ago, a friend of mine introduced me to RuPaul's Drag Race, and ever since, I've been HOOKED! Unfortunately, because I live in Sweden where the show doesn't air, I've been forced to watch all previous seasons on shitty sites with poor quality videos, and I won't be able to watch the new season when it airs this March. *cries* Fortunately for me, though, there will probably be a recap on WoW's youtube page, and a bunch of online summaries!

Part of the reason I'm so fascinated with drag is the versatility. Drag isn't that big of a phenomenon in Sweden, although there have been a few famous queens, but they've all had the same kind of camp comedy shtick. But, after watching Drag Race, I've realized that there are so many different styles. It's not just about men dressing up as women, it's so much more than that. It's about breaking gender boundaries by studying what is stereotypically considered effeminate and exaggerating it, or interpreting it with different twists.

So, I was wondering if anybody else has ever heard of RPDR? And if so, do you like it, or not? If you've watched it, who's your favourite queen? Most hated queen? Favourite moment, challenge, or runway look? I really wanna fangirl over the new season, though, ha ha...

Last edited by a moderator:
"This is not RuPaul's best friend race!"
An ex of mine loved that show. I used to be a reality TV junkie, so I enjoyed the crazy drama as well.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
"This is not RuPaul's best friend race!"
An ex of mine loved that show. I used to be a reality TV junkie, so I enjoyed the crazy drama as well.

I laugh my ass off just thinking about that clip XD There's something so hysterical about Jiggly and Lashauwn looking busted as f*** while yelling at each other.

Ooh, wasn't aware this existed, but now I need to check it out.

I've always been fascinated by people who do drag, both queens and kings. Queens have the prettiest clothes, though. There are some ridiculously beautiful queens out there.

• Love
Actually it has aired in Sweden on TV4, all four seasons. So I'm guessing season five also will air eventually :9

• Love
Oops, it was season 7 that would air o.O Well... Then Sweden seems to have dropped it completely since it hasn't aired since 2012... Sorry, you're doomed :o

Actually it has aired in Sweden on TV4, all four seasons. So I'm guessing season five also will air eventually :9
*squints suspiciously*

*runs to tha googles to check*

*dies*

OHMAIFAHKINGGEHRD

Although it seems to have aired on TV11, which is technically owned by TV4.

Oops, it was season 7 that would air o.O Well... Then Sweden seems to have dropped it completely since it hasn't aired since 2012... Sorry, you're doomed :o
Maybe... I mean, I know they wouldn't be up to date, otherwise I'd know about it, but it's possible they buy the rights to air the seasons in batches later or something. Oh, who am I kidding, I'm screwed! Thanks for getting my hopes up ;-; </3

Yay, I crushed a heart :D -cough- I mean, I'm sorry. But my point stands. It has aired in Sweden at one point :D Just not all of it, and not anymore. xD -pat pat- There will be other bad shows you can watch here in Sweden.

What exactly is the show like? Is it like ANTM or some other competition? Or is it a "Reality Show" like Jersey Shore or something? I've been wanting to watch it, but I can never catch it on! D:

What exactly is the show like? Is it like ANTM or some other competition? Or is it a "Reality Show" like Jersey Shore or something? I've been wanting to watch it, but I can never catch it on! D:
It's a competition! Each episode consists of a "mini challenge", such as the reocurring Reading is Fundamental challenge (in which each contestant is asked to do a "read", an insult-comic based analyzation of the other contestants) of which the winner will get an advantage in the "main challenge", for example the recurring Snatch Game (in which each contestant is asked to perform their best celebrity impersonation while answering questions and trying to match their answers with a panel of celebrities). The contestants also have to model a look on the runway, either as part of the main challenge, in which case they have to make their own clothes, or their look has to be inspired by the main challenge, in which case they can use clothes brought with them beforehand. After the contestants have received their critiques from the judges and the winner of the week has been announced, the two contestants who have put up the worst performances during the main challenge and the runway look presentation are asked to battle it out in a "Lip Sync for your Life". The one who puts up the worst performance in the lip sync is asked to "sashay away" (leave the competition) while the one who made the most convincing performance gets the RuPaul seal of approval, "shantay, you stay".

Am I the only one who thinks RuPaul looks better as a woman? I'm not being offensive, but he really does look better in drag.

Am I the only one who thinks RuPaul looks better as a woman? I'm not being offensive, but he really does look better in drag.
I have to agree, he makes a stunning Queen. I mean, there's a reason it's "RuPaul's Drag Race", not anyone else's :3

It's a competition! Each episode consists of a "mini challenge", such as the reocurring Reading is Fundamental challenge (in which each contestant is asked to do a "read", an insult-comic based analyzation of the other contestants) of which the winner will get an advantage in the "main challenge", for example the recurring Snatch Game (in which each contestant is asked to perform their best celebrity impersonation while answering questions and trying to match their answers with a panel of celebrities). The contestants also have to model a look on the runway, either as part of the main challenge, in which case they have to make their own clothes, or their look has to be inspired by the main challenge, in which case they can use clothes brought with them beforehand. After the contestants have received their critiques from the judges and the winner of the week has been announced, the two contestants who have put up the worst performances during the main challenge and the runway look presentation are asked to battle it out in a "Lip Sync for your Life". The one who puts up the worst performance in the lip sync is asked to "sashay away" (leave the competition) while the one who made the most convincing performance gets the RuPaul seal of approval, "shantay, you stay".
Thank you!!!! I'm going to be searching for it to see if I can find it.

Reactions: Lady B
Because of this thread I now have the phrase: "Sashay away" stuck in my head.

Reactions: Lady B
Thank you!!!! I'm going to be searching for it to see if I can find it.
If you live in America, the new season premiers on Logo on March 2nd. If you live in America but don't have access to Logo on your TV, I think you can still watch it on their website, maybe even the old seasons.
Because of this thread I now have the phrase: "Sashay away" stuck in my head.

I love RuPaul so much. I did not realize what drag was until late middle school or maybe HS, as such just thinking Ru was this sassy tall comedian...

• Love
RuPaul's Drag Race is on Netflix. I think it's the first five seasons or something

My thoughts on the Season 7 Queens so far:

Ginger Minj
10497201_808174472562109_1651342235661169927_o.jpg
Ginger has Southern charm in abundance, and is a self-proclaimed "cross-dresser for Christ". She's sweet, bubbly, and fun, and it also seems like she has a bit of a cheeky side. Her look is mixed glamor from different eras, and what she wears complements her size, rather than try to hide it. Overall, I quite like her!

Katya Zamolodchikova
10841636_718050419579_1686091006_n.jpg
This one is clearly Russian-inspired, but I'm wondering if her shtick will prove to be a little bit too much. Her over-all carefree personality and dirty mouth have led people to compare her to Willam from Season 4, but I don't think Katya is as well-packaged as Willam is. Overall, my impression of her is quite weak.

Mrs. Kasha Davis
Mrs._Kasha_Davis.jpg
Kasha has a that kind of old-school campy, kitschy comedienne style, which I quite like, my only problem is that in my opinion, she is overshadowed by Tempest DuJour, another queen of this season who goes with the same theme, but does it better. Overall, I like her, but I would've probably liked her more if I didn't have Tempest to compare with.

Trixie Mattel
Trixie_Mattel.jpg
Trixie is very quirky and kookie, with exaggerated make-up and personality. If what I saw from the trailer matches how she acts in the competition, it seems like she's quite the shady little palm tree. I think she's one of those characters that you either love or hate, and unfortunately, I'm most likely part of the latter.

Jaidynn Diore Fierce
latest
Now THIS one, this one I really like! She serves personality and body for DAYS, embodying legendary Queen Latrice Royale's motto "Large and in charge, chunky yet funky". Also, the trailer shows some very cool looks of hers. Overall, I have very high hopes for her!

Kennedy Davenport
kennedy-davenport.jpg
I'm not quite sure about Kennedy... She's a skillful acrobat and gymnast, and she shares Drag family connections to the late Sahara Davenport who was a really fierce Queen, but she kind of falls flat personality-wise. I mean, I get it, she's a sweetheart, but it just reads as boring to me.

Pearl
10859609_718050394629_416030861_n.jpg
Pearl is relatively new on the drag scene, but in the short period of time that she's been active, she's made quite the mark already. She has a kind of rocker chic look and "I don't give a f***" personality, which some like, but I think she comes off as kind of disengaged and uninterested in giving it her all.

Violet Chachki
WfUQUJJ5.jpeg
Violet seems like a shit stirrer if I've ever seen one. I mean, already in the trailer she can be heard loudly exclaiming "I hate Michelle Visage" in front of everyone, and in all the interviews she's acted kind of bitchy. Also, there's that rumor going around about her stealing Sharon Needles's victory crown from season 4, which she hasn't even made an effort to denounce...

Jasmine Masters
JasmineMasters.jpg
Jasmine has gotten a rep for being boring and uninteresting from her interviews, but I'm quite intrigued by her. She has a youtube series by the name of "Jasmine Masters - I've got something to say" in which she uploads videos of her just ranting on different topics, and it shows me that she's quite strongly opinionated, and is able to deliver those opinions in a convincing and comedic package. Also, she does a mean Nene Leeks, which I can't wait for her to pull out at the Snatch Game-- if she goes so far.

MAX
max-drag-race.jpg
Max is a really character-heavy Queen, who seems to rely a lot on uniqueness and shock-factor. Sharon Needles also has a sort of spooky character, but Max just seems downright eerie. Like, she kind of scares me, and not in a good way.

Sasha Belle
Sasha_Belle.jpg
I can't say that I like her very much. Both her look and personality seem outdated, and she doesn't bring anything interesting for me. As far as I'm concerned, she should be let go the first episode so the others can have more screen time to develop character.

Kandy Ho'
Kandy-Ho-Headshot.jpg
Kandy is a mix of sugar and spice hailing from Puerto Rico-- and for the first time in Drag Race herstory-- it seems like she's the first Puerto Rican Queen to have fully overcome the language barrier! I fell in love with her personality from the very start, and not to mention she's sexy as f***! I'll be rooting for this one as well.

Miss Fame
miss-fame1.jpg
A lot of people have Miss Fame as their number one favourite this season, and it shouldn't come as much of a surprise. She's probably the most well known out of all the Queens this season, and what makes her stand out are her extraordinary make-up skills. But, what concerns me is that I haven't seen anything from her, apart from her look. While she will most likely kill it on the runway, I wonder if she will be run over by the challenges.

Tempest DuJour
tempest-dujour-logo-tv.jpg
Last but not least, we've come down to the Queen I've previously mentioned, Tempest DuJour! Tempest is kitschy, campy, fabulous, and glamorous, and I might even go as far as saying she's my favourite Queen this season so far. She's the oldest of the bunch, and with age comes wisdom and maturity, without necessarily translating as boring. Unfortunately, analyses based on the clips shown in the trailer predict that she will pull a Kelly Mantle and get eliminated based on her runway look in the first episode. But, here's hoping that she will prove them wrong!

I can't wait to see how my opinion of the Queens will change as the season progresses! :D

I'm watching the first episode now. Bwaha. I am loving it so far!

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.