Rules and Cast List tabs deleting itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Uuko

Original poster
I've seen this mentioned in a few of the roleplay OOC I lurk and follow, as well as faced it personally when I was creating my own.

In my case, whenever I try to add the list code or url code to the rule or cast list tabs, these tabs delete themselves upon saving the edits made. [as in, if I go to edit the thread again, everything in the rule/cast-list section is wiped]. Interestingly font styling and the user code seems to work fine.

I'm sorry I don't have much information about this but I felt the need to ask; is this something like a character limit on the overview+rules+cast list tabs or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
If there were a character limit, it would more than likely tell you about it and warn you if you had reached it before letting you post. This is most likely a bug which @Diana probably should take a look at.

There is no character limit!

I suspect there might be some errors with your bbcoding. Sometimes when a bbcode gets messed up (Which is really common if you are using the text editor buttons), things will get out of order. On the more complicated bbcodes it might wipe out all the content after it. D:

I don't use the text editor, but I don't disagree with what was said since it is a common issue.

The Overview's coding looks like this [links to pastebin]. I took the time to remove text that are not related to the codes into PARAGRAPH for paragrahs, ITEM for list items and CHARACTER SHEET SKELETON for the character sheet.

The Rule and Cast List's coding that does not delete by itself looks like these:
Code:
Current Roleplay Master(s): [user=8672]Uuko[/user].

General IWAKU Roleplaying Rules apply.

There will be character deaths.
>If anyone wants to kill off their own character, please notify on the OOC.
>If the situation calls for a character's death from a roleplay master, the reason for this will be posted in the OOC to clear any potential doubts instead of suddenly announcing a character's death.

Posting Length
>The minimum standard is two paragraphs per post, and in third-person. The maximum number of paragraphs is ten per post. Going over the maximum standard is not going to be as strict as the minimum standard but my view is that roleplays, as opposed to novels, is to express and develop characters in a gradual sense rather than one-page-summaries. Character developments and detailed descriptions are desperately requested, but in the form of digestible chunks the readers would not tire of easily.

Posting frequency
>There will be no set posting rotation unless requested but please attempt to post at most thrice per day and at least once every three or four days if possible.
>If someone is unable to post within the above schedule due to waiting on another roleplayer, notify a roleplay master to sort it out.
>Absences should be posted on the OOC with the expected return date [even if it is just an estimate with 1% probability].
>Other negotiations related to posting frequency should be posted on the OOC.

Feel free to use extensive images, but please refrain from using gigantic ones which have a greater presence than the text part.
Code:
[B]Civilian Summoners[/B]
Kanzaki, Aria played by Karakui

[B]Mariana Summoners[/B]
Watson, Max played by Xytheus

Due to coding problems, the character sheet will be linked on the early pages in the Thread tab.

The Rules and Cast List codes which keeps deleting itself looks like these:
Code:
[LIST]
[*]Current Roleplay Master(s): [user=8672]Uuko[/user].
[*]General IWAKU Roleplaying Rules apply.
[*]There will be character deaths.
>If anyone wants to kill off their own character, please notify on the OOC.
>If the situation calls for a character's death from a roleplay master, the reason for this will be posted in the OOC to clear any potential doubts instead of suddenly announcing a character's death.
[*]Posting Length
>The minimum standard is two paragraphs per post, and in third-person. The maximum number of paragraphs is ten per post. Going over the maximum standard is not going to be as strict as the minimum standard but my view is that roleplays, as opposed to novels, is to express and develop characters in a gradual sense rather than one-page-summaries. Character developments and detailed descriptions are desperately requested, but in the form of digestible chunks the readers would not tire of easily.
[*]Posting frequency
>There will be no set posting rotation unless requested but please attempt to post at most thrice per day and at least once every three or four days if possible.
>If someone is unable to post within the above schedule due to waiting on another roleplayer, notify a roleplay master to sort it out.
>Absences should be posted on the OOC with the expected return date [even if it is just an estimate with 1% probability].
>Other negotiations related to posting frequency should be posted on the OOC.
[*]Feel free to use extensive images, but please refrain from using gigantic ones which have a greater presence than the text part.
[/LIST]
Code:
[B]Civilian Summoners[/B]
[URL=https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/theory-of-absolute-survival.127297/#post-2640649]Kanzaki, Aria[/URL] by [URL=https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/members/karakui.16647/]Karakui[/URL].

[B]Mariana Summoners[/B]
[URL=https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/theory-of-absolute-survival.127297/#post-2640389]Watson, Max[/URL] by [URL=https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/members/xytheus.13416/]Xytheus[/URL].

I understand it's a hassle to look at blocks of text, but I personally cannot find out where the coding error is to fix this. Sorry for my shortcomings.

EDIT: I forgot to mention although it's probably unnecessary information; for the Overview alone, wordcounter.net states it is 4054 words and 26102 characters long.

TWO THINGS TO TRY! AND DO THEM SEPARATELY AS YOU TEST!

First One: Stop using the > as a line marker. Try using a different symbol. The asterisk a dash or anything else. It miiiiiight be confusing the boxes in to thinking there is html code in there. (This one SHOULDN'T be it, but there might be a bug in there.)

Second ONE THIS LINE: Absences should be posted on the OOC with the expected return date [even if it is just an estimate with 1% probability]. <--- Try reposting without using the straight brackets. Use () instead. This might be making the box think there is a bbcode command and then freakout when it can't close it.

There's not any errors in your coding so we might have a parsing bug. O_O You'll have to give those two things a try for me and see if it still keeps erasing your pages.

Thank you for the suggestions. These are my results.

1. Changed the line marker into dashes: working okay.
2. Changed the square brackets into round ones: working okay.
3. Added list BBCode to Rules: Rules section deleted itself.
4. Reverted to step 2: working okay.

I'll just make do with what I have I guess. I have a notepad++ copy of my overview, rules and cast list sections so if for any chance a mod wants to try editing it themselves [I'm not sure if mods can do that but yeah] then go ahead. The link should be on the first post of this somewhere.

Else I'm completely fine with just as is. Thank you once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.