Rudest thing I've ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Goldenhope

Original poster
Is there a thing where you can report people who block you out of sheer laziness to respond, or they changed their mind about rp but don't have the respect to at least tell you, so they waste your time by simply blocking you? Is that a thing I can do? I've had that done to me a few times and it's a massive waste of time and effort.

If you feel like there was any sort of rule violation, always report. It'll be investigated and the Security team will determine if it's an issue or not :)

If you feel like there was any sort of rule violation, always report. It'll be investigated and the Security team will determine if it's an issue or not :)

My issue is that there's no rule against it, but it's a massive waste of anyone's time to discuss an rp, and especially if nothing in discussions has gone wrong, then randomly block the person. I understand being unable to respond, or changing your mind, but in the latter case, SAY SOMETHING. But instead, I keep getting straight-up blocked when I check in on the person every couple days or so, if they haven't responded, instead of being respectfully responded to. It's infuriating and I already have a hard enough time finding rp on this site with my personal tastes, it makes it even harder when people waste my time by talking to me for a few days about an rp then mysteriously blocking me (which I only know is happening because their activity tracking turns off when it had been on the entire time I had known them)

Unfortunately at it is with real life, we can't control people's attitudes. Sometimes people just don't know how to behave or something is misinterpreted (esp. over the internet) and things escalate. Sometimes when those situations go down the best thing to do is move forward and just seek out a new partner to plot with.

That being said even if it's not against the rules directly (as in listed in the rules) you can report it still, if you feel like it's disruptive enough behavior. All that'll happen is it'll be looked into, so security can determine if there is a problem or not.

Reactions: Pahn
Mmh, alright, I donno if I'll do such a thing but I thought I'd ask for future reference.

I've seen that sort of thing, but never on Iwaku before. I second the suggestion to report them, if for nothing else than it being a record for security if those people make a continued habit of it or they start breaking site rules.

With that said, it is important to remember that a large part of Iwaku's population is comprised of the socially timid. It could be a case of them wishing to avoid negative response, in which case, Security may be able to offer them reassurance.

It's important to try and remember to be understanding, though I understand it's very hard to let go of that sort of investment of both time and emotion from planning or starting an RP with someone—it's very upsetting to have that torn away in the blink of an eye!

I have found that doing a couple things helps me to avoid such situations, though—first, I include in my RP search that I will always tell a partner if I must drop or if I lose interest for any reason. Second, I reassure them in conversation (when it comes up naturally, such as them mentioning fear of being dropped) that I would rather talk through an issue and see if a solution is found. Third, I state explicitly to each partner that if they need to end the RP or discussions for any reasons, I will not ask their reasons, but I will accept their wishes—I would simply like to be informed that they would like to stop, and that is the end of it.

Taking those actions, I've remained friends (and even RPed again), even with people who did drop without a word, because they felt safe coming back to talk to me later, though I do sometimes tease them a little bit.

• Love
Reactions: Pahn
Do keep in mind too that it's usually better to report when you think people are causing issues, rather than making a public post. Public posts can often do more harm than good, because people who see them might think you're talking about them--whether you are or not--and get upset, causing more tension. (We actually have a rule against this, which you have veeeery narrowly side-stepped since you're talking about a general problem.) Reports, though, are confidential and our Staff team is trained to help resolve disagreements and punish people with bad RP habits!

Another possible factor to consider is that people sometimes do not take well to frequent post reminders, when they perceive them as being too often or their contents as being impatient. A lot of more socially anxious people in particular can feel a lot of pressure about their RP posts as is, and as silly as it might sound, too many reminders makes it worse. I'm sure you didn't mean to come off this way--and maybe you didn't at all!--but it's possible your tone is being read like this. One thing you might try is using reassuring language, to borrow from one of Moody's suggestions, and read your replies over to make sure they come off as friendly (even exaggerate if need be, because so much of tone gets lost in text) and understanding.

Either way, reporting is the way to go if this is severely affecting your enjoyment of the site. We're here to help!

Reactions: rissa
Both new responses have been considered (especially with the rules bit, I seem to have missed that, apologies.) so I'll try to be careful in the future. Thanks for helping out guys.

Reactions: rissa and Astaroth
Status
Not open for further replies.