RP gripes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk about your personal Rp gripes, pet peeves, annoyances, turn offs etc, minor or major. Anything that breaks an Rp for you even if it is trivial.

For me, when it comes to nearly any setting, when GM allows players to play as characters that are over 1000 years old. Hell, even over 500.
Be they elves, vampires or just about anything with free will, people just always seem to pick a random 4 digit number as their age yet often times dont mirror the implication of having lived for so long. Most often they act like people in their 40's at most, worst of all as they were just out of their teens. People also look like they are just out of their teens.
The absolute worst case is when there isa race that lives for thousanda of years or even just essentially immortal. A whole species that number in the thousands or most likely more that live with beings that barely live a century. People who shouldhave seen nations rise and fall.

There are exceptions though in my case. When the nigh immortal beimgs are creations of higher power such as angels and demons, beings that essentially dont really have as much free will.

Either way,point is that no matter how good the setting might be or the plot, when 5+ players are playing 5000 year old creature that possess the feature that would make Narcissus jelly I just cannot get invested.

What are yours? Do you disagree?
I actually have a character who is a feudal samurai who has lived well into the future via a curse. It pretty much keeps him the same age forever. Literally every RP hes been apart of no matter the time period is just a different time in his life. Hes a pretty flexible character. One of the things I do with him is that he keeps artifacts from all his travels that may appear in later rps. Like weapons and such. Especially with him being a fighter and all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm. Pet peeves.

1. Stereotypical characters. The brooding badass, the overblown sex god/godess, the whimpering naive ingenue... Give me a character that I don't have to predict, please.

2. Profiles that require long descriptions. If it's description, fine. But if it's likes and dislikes and long written history? If I give all that up front, in a profile, then what the heck am I doing in an RP? For me, roleplay is a character driven game. If I lay out my character, then... where do I go from there?

3. GMs that make you add pictures to your profile. I have a particular issue with this because... well, 90% of my characters are black, and I have a distinct look for all of them. It's hard enough finding real life photos of black folk that fit my characters, but when the GM is forcing you to use anime pics? It is impossible. Black people don't exist in anime. Sure, there may be a dark skinned person, but they'll have a thin sharp nose and long straight hair like all the rest. *headdesk* I hate it when people don't allow for a more diverse cast.

4. People who confuse post length with post quality. I am not a long winded writer. I say what needs to be said. I also don't delve into my characters exact thoughts. But no one's ever had much issue with my 2 paragraph posts, because my two paragraphs are damn good. They give info that needs to be given, and don't add in extra. Can I write 4 paragraphs? Yes, with time. Do I enjoy it? Not for an RP. Mostly because 4 paragraph in reaction to something is... well, it's excessive. Unless there's an explosion happening or something, how many paragraph do I need to describe how my character feels? There needs to be allowance for flexibility, and writing what needs to be written, whether it is 1 paragraph or 5.

5. People who confuse characters with the players behind them. I sometimes play characters that are not nice. One in particular, is really a terrible snob, and has a nasty way of insulting people without ever saying one vulgar word. (The power of an expansive vocabulary, folks!) I've dropped out of RPs because other players attack me for being a bitch. I am not a bitch. It is my character, and not every single character is nice and sweet and social right off the bat.

...I think that's all of them.

OH- and there was this one joker who said that he wanted me to play a character with a different look because 'black women aren't attractive'. I was dumbfounded. I mean... if he was gay or just disinterested in women, but... just a mass blanket statement like that? I didn't just tell him off, I blocked him.

GMs that make you add pictures to your profile. I have a particular issue with this because... well, 90% of my characters are black, and I have a distinct look for all of them. It's hard enough finding real life photos of black folk that fit my characters, but when the GM is forcing you to use anime pics? It is impossible. Black people don't exist in anime.
I nope out of an rp if I see a bunch of people using anime pictures, I feels unprofessional to me. That being said, I am guilty of using pictures in place of actually describing since I lack real imagination and need a clear idea in my mind, and I do use said pic to influence the character. I can and will describe my character tho

Reactions: Blood
People who confuse post length with post quality
Really can't stand this one. Like you, I'm of the mind that a post is only as long as it needs to be; useless filler material is boring, distracting and a waste of everyone's time. This doesn't mean produce one-liners in a roleplay that specifically states that advanced or intermediate writing expectations are the standard, but I'm not about to crank out four paragraphs for a mere response to a spot of dialogue--though I might for a fight scene, but this only really applies for Arena roleplays. Detail is absolutely paramount when it comes to competitive writing.

Reactions: Valentyne
When it comes to opening rps, i have pics optional but not necessary. I rend to use pics are fresh in my memory or even tend to use game screenshots with char creation to already give out my char.

Oh, this is a recent one and not actually a gripe but pisses me off massively.

I sm running a highish fantasy game and i allowed some original races and civilizations from players. This one seemed excited about it and wanted to make a race. All others talked to me, communicated how the race is, their living habit, trade, appearance and a likely place in the world. This player sent me a wiki link to the homestuck trolls. I politely said i refuse because of the lack of effort that was put in it. A day or so later (after the player said he would try again), the player said he/she was leaving because he/she wanted to play the trolls. It was all polite until a certain line. "I dont like playing with people who are too nit-picky for their own good"

Ps

Excuse my poor spelling in this post. On the phone and woke like 20 minutes ago.

Last edited:
I nope out of an rp if I see a bunch of people using anime pictures, I feels unprofessional to me.
I can be like this as well, but it's situational. If it's like an actual anime-based RP or something clearly very heavily influenced by anime stuff, okay, cool, anime it up with the pictures. I can also tolerate it for fantasy and sci-fi things sometimes, but only for totally fictional settings and only if it's something drawn in anime style that actually fits in with the world's tone and aesthetic, rather than like crazy over the top anime stuff like giant pink corkscrew hair and ridiculously inhuman proportions of muscles or breasts. For anything set in the real world at all, be it modern or historical or futuristic, nah, get your anime out of there.

I agree with those dissing animé pics.

I mean, if you aren't going to use gifs, might as well just use manga.

For anime pics I've gone with the anime-style dress up games if it's that kind of RP where it's actually anime-inspired. I don't have an issue with anime pictures to be honest. It fits the inspiring medium.
To me it's actually more annoying having to find a picture of a person because not only is it difficult to find a picture matching your char, it also denies the person making the character sheet the opportunity to get some practice in describing their char. (I'm still bad at describing my chars...)

I avoid anime/magna pictures like the plague. I generally prefer realistic pictures because most of the rps I do are realistic. I am actually fairly odd about pictures my partners use. If it's modern and realistic and they use an anime pic, it's kind of a no no for me. I can understand if it's fantasy, but not realistic rps.

Reactions: dragonesper
My biggest pet peeve when it comes to roleplaying is when people create characters that scream for attention or pity. The kind of character that has a cliched, terrible past full of abuse/hate/rape/racism/gender shaming/homophobia/whathaveyou and has it brought into every single post. Further more, I hate it when the character themselves says nothing about it, acting happy/tough while it is all implied in the profile and the rest of the post content. I especially hate it when it is slammed in my face via the oh-so-convenient "flashback". The most recent issue I have had with this, is in an RP where all of the characters have dealt with the same abusive father. We had a last-minute joiner that put into their profile that their character got more abuse than the rest of the children and none of the others knew about it, and there was no reason given as to why. I feel that completely undermined what the others went through, and threw everyone else's character development out the window. They then proceeded to do just about everything I just ranted about.

Another issue I have a lot is vague posts that are nothing more than general actions and verbal responses. I love adding all the little details into my writing, as it breathes life into the world and characters. So when I give you a fair amount of information about the scene and my character, I really expect more than just your character nodding and saying "Yes.". What is even more annoying is when said player then complains when I am forced to give a one or two-line post in response, due to lack of workable material.

Along with this are the players that post disjointed overreactions that make no sense in response to the information given by other players. A third piece to this irritation is repetitive posts- players that just reiterate the same basics of their character, be it personality, history or appearance. If you are not going to bother expanding on your character, I will not bother writing with you. I may sound like I am snubbing beginner roleplayers, but this usually happens to me with people who claim to have been writing for years.

On the image topic, I actually dislike it when I am forced to use a real photo. I typically recycle characters I have developed over years, and can never find photos that match the images I have in my mind. I frequently draw my characters, but my style certainly is not realistic. So, requiring a photo is a reason for me to drop an RP, and fast. I also dislike and am slightly confused by GMs that do not allow written descriptions as an option. I rely heavily on them to convey my characters as I envision them.

...Wow, that turned into a rant. That's enough from me.

Reactions: The Ghost Note
I agree with the post length vs quality. I've had a few RPs where, a few posts in my partner tells me that my writing style isn't what they're looking for. Nothing really specific, just that vague sentence. 9 times out of 10 I'll edit my post adding about three paragraphs describing the scenery, what my character is wearing and even what they had for breakfast. And, sure enough, "That's exactly what I'm looking for".

I guess it adds a little heft to the RP, but doesnt really add anything valuable. In my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Valentyne
I remembered a minor pet peeve, I usually don't think about it because it's not often it happens but I remembered it as I fixed a typo on a post on this site...

Occasionally I have creatures that are just that, creatures, and I also have a genderqueer char I'm really fond of. Thing is, when characters I make are without gender they're sure as hell without gender and I like keeping it that way. I use my genderqueer char in a couple of RPs, a few not related to this site in any way. One of those off-site RP-partners insisted on needing to know the physical gender so she could imagine the character better. I can understand that, I do, but I also laid the condition that ze was going to be treated as a genderqueer character with the correct pronouns. Sadly enough, she slips up more often than not and it irks me. Well, enough background and ranting, my point:
I find it a bit annoying when I have a non-binary character the other RPers don't respect that my character is non-binary and that when discussing the character it leads towards a binary treatment of my char. It will leak into the RP and it is annoying how I need to be on guard to make sure that other RPers don't let their player knowledge become character knowledge.

My friend had the same thing. A species of mostly hermaphrodites and used the pronoun "xe"

Oh! People who use the same character for multiple rps at the same time! This gets on my nerves soooo bad! I'm fine when it's the same character for the same rp, but they only have one going on. People get attached to characters for certain plots, I know I'm guilty of it. But if I have two of the same plot going on, I will make a different character for one of the stories.

When I see someone using one character in several rps though.... Ugh! That drives me nuts. I love making characters and developing them, which is probably why it drives me nuts when I see the same character being used over and over again at the same time. How are you supposed to develop that character if they're going through two totally different situations at the same time? Maybe I am missing something, but it drives me nuts.

I also hate when a character is stagnant. They can lose their whole family and they're still the same as they were before. Abused characters that are content to simply sit there and continued to be abused without trying to improve their situation. Things like that annoy the hell out of me. No one enjoys being abused all the damn time! I'm sorry, but if your character is being abused 24/7 and isn't either ready to slit their throats or kill their abuser, than that just isn't cutting it. The reason things happen in an rp is so a character can develop, not so that they can sit there and play off th tragedy for sympathy for the rest of the story....

*raises hand* I plead guilty to using the same base character in several RPs but is requesting a milder punishment since I change their developing events and influential factors (I have no regrets!)

For me, when it comes to nearly any setting, when GM allows players to play as characters that are over 1000 years old. Hell, even over 500.
Be they elves, vampires or just about anything with free will, people just always seem to pick a random 4 digit number as their age yet often times dont mirror the implication of having lived for so long. Most often they act like people in their 40's at most, worst of all as they were just out of their teens. People also look like they are just out of their teens.
The absolute worst case is when there isa race that lives for thousanda of years or even just essentially immortal. A whole species that number in the thousands or most likely more that live with beings that barely live a century. People who shouldhave seen nations rise and fall.
I dunno. I agree that it's uber annoying that when given the option, a lot of people just pick a really old character that acts like a teenager. However I've seen it done right plenty of times. Additionally, just because the age is in the 4 digits doesn't equate to a mature character, either, particularly depending on species. Some species might not reach maturity until about 2000, for example, and thus a character aged 1500 might be around adolescence and therefore maturity and behavior doesn't depend on age. I have a character that's a few thousand years old and is the mental equivalent of a 25 year old, perhaps, as they spent most of their immortal life wandering around and exploring the world, with a very childlike mentality. I personally think it's rather unrealistic for every 1000+ year old to be wise and old.

But I do see where you're coming from, particularly when people think age = power. It's so annoying when you get a player that wants a 12 thousand year old super mortal-god. Ugh.

I dislike it when players try to create OP characters. I can get wanting to have a character that's powerful in their own right, and I have this issue myself, but what I take issue in is having your character being uncharacteristically powerful, or special in some way. I'm that person that gets somewhat annoyed with protagonists being 'special'. Yes, sometimes it's necessary for the plot, but say: A character raised in being a ninja since they were born, could use twin blades at age 5 and killed their first man at 3 years of age in a roleplay where nobody else learned to fight/killed a man/whatever until they were 16-20. Or a character that was magically gifted with the power to control other people while everyone else is still learning how to use magic.

When players make the entire plot, or design a ton of sub plots, based around their character. Applies to GMs, too. It's not all about your character. In that case, it's called a book and not a roleplay.

When people insist that there be absolutely no fluff in roleplays. I believe fluff allows for fun in the roleplay, character development, and a break. If everything has to enhance the plot, it feels rushed. It's like condensing the Harry Potter books into 2 books, max. Skipping the Yule Ball, all the traveling in the 7th book, the Ginny and Cho romances, the third book entirely (except "Oh my god, Ron's rat isn't a rat!), all the scenes where Harry is with his uncle and aunt, blahblahblah. The books wouldn't be the same if it was just a series of events and then the end. I hate it even more when GMs insist on having no fluff, and fail to include all the players into the roleplay equally. They just drag them in and then say, "Forward the plot!" and get pissed when you can't figure it out because 2-3 characters are sopping up all the glory.

Asking for 2+ paragraphs minimum and getting 2 sentences.

@Rainjay

Again, this is a problem for me. When a race "Matures" after a 1000 years, that race is inherently flawed if they act like idiot teens for centuries. We mature for a reason. We reach maturity after a certain amount of time for a reason. If we don't we just end up committing a sui-genocide fast.
Worst of all, most of these races that live for 10,000 years is considered the most wisest and most magically capable of them all. In my experience. If a race is slow to mature, it's slow to advance. When a character is still a kid after 200 years, he is most likely an idiot for 200 years. Most kids are idiots. The race has to be a coddled one if they are to survive. Worst of all the birthrate. Almost EVERYONE that have a race that live such a long time with such a slow maturity rate, they do not address the birthrate either. That is the worst. If they have the same birthrate as humans, more often than not, such a long lived race should outnumber EVERYONE by 5 to 1 to be generous.

A race that lives for over 1000 years and the individual has nothing to show for it because he is still a kid is wasting his time. It's worse than a man in his 30's still living in his parent's basement and hasn't had a job.

@Rainjay

Again, this is a problem for me. When a race "Matures" after a 1000 years, that race is inherently flawed if they act like idiot teens for centuries. We mature for a reason. We reach maturity after a certain amount of time for a reason. If we don't we just end up committing a sui-genocide fast.
Worst of all, most of these races that live for 10,000 years is considered the most wisest and most magically capable of them all. In my experience. If a race is slow to mature, it's slow to advance. When a character is still a kid after 200 years, he is most likely an idiot for 200 years. Most kids are idiots. The race has to be a coddled one if they are to survive. Worst of all the birthrate. Almost EVERYONE that have a race that live such a long time with such a slow maturity rate, they do not address the birthrate either. That is the worst. If they have the same birthrate as humans, more often than not, such a long lived race should outnumber EVERYONE by 5 to 1 to be generous.

A race that lives for over 1000 years and the individual has nothing to show for it because he is still a kid is wasting his time. It's worse than a man in his 30's still living in his parent's basement and hasn't had a job.
I'm gonna be honest; birthrate never really did occur to me.

I do think that it can still work if it's designed properly- Humans can have children at pretty low ages compared to when we actually mature. Nobody wants 16 year olds to have children although it used to be when girls were married/paired off and then started popping out babies. So I think that a race that has a 1k+ life span wouldn't be TOO pressed for birth rate. That said, it also would likely lead to overpopulation.

Which is where I think culture comes into play. A cultured people who for instance don't believe in popping out kids until over population would work. But yeah, now that I've been brought awareness of the entire issue it's going to bother me forever if I don't see it addressed in a roleplay.

That said a good chunk of creative freedom is being able to say that these things exist and this is why. We shouldn't always compare made up races and species to humans; human's are likely in our universe not even close to the stepping point. Cats can have kittens at extremely young ages but they don't slow down and start to lose their kitten tendencies for some time after.

And one last word about longevity species

you need to mature both in mind and body to survive. If you are in a fantasy setting and still possess the body of a child for centuries, you are LESS likely to survive.
But overall, age = experience unless you are sheltered as hell.

I guess it adds a little heft to the RP, but doesnt really add anything valuable. In my opinion.
In my opinion, it adds to both atmosphere (scenery) and character (what they're wearing, if they happened to have changed clothes during the RP, and yes, what they had for breakfast, because it could... heh... "come up" later, perhaps).

Status
Not open for further replies.