β„π• π•¦π•˜π•™ 'π•Ÿ π•‹π•¦π•žπ•“π•π•– π•„π•–π•£π•”π•–π•Ÿπ•’π•£π•šπ•–π•€

A

Ascendant Aegis

Original poster
[GREETINGS]
Hello! I'm Aegis, and I'm rather new to actually using Iwaku. That being said, I am no means new to roleplay. I'm just looking for some adventure and some pals to make along the way, y'feel?

----
[INTRODUCTION]
This roleplay will focus on an entirely original world, of which I hope to explore and flesh out with new compatriots; and will follow a Black Lagoon-style mercenary team on their various adventures while following a contract from a mysterious client. There'll be an additional lore post down the line, assuming that this post garners enough interest to continue with the idea. I'm looking for anywhere from two-four experienced writers to join, and I'll try to sell my pitch here the best I can. As per standard, any and all questions are welcomed, and I will try to answer them in a timely manner.

----
[BASIC PREMISE]
The setting takes place in what can only be described as a soft, but grounded sci-fi world in which humanity managed to colonize Mars and the Moon, as well as making a bunch of other asteroid and orbital space stations. This was done as apart of a greater initiative by the newly-formed
United Nations Colonial Commission to exploit natural resources and spread the densely-packed population on Earth out; the first settlers leaving Earth around 2153. However, such operations were much too expensive to be funded by UNCC efforts alone, and colonies were often co-funded by major corporations and private groups starting from 2155. This created a unique political climate in which corporate interest and UNCC policy often collided, leading to minor political turmoil in the beginning years of human expansion. Around 2160, feelings of unrest and resentment towards the UNCC (mainly from groups that had been forcefully relocated from their territories on Earth into often inadequate colonial holdings) exploded into a significant social movement, focusing on gaining independence from the influence of Earth, and the perceived iron-fist rule of the UNCC. Of course, the movement would have remained entirely localized and mired in insignificance, were it not for the meddling of the corporations; who had long felt stubbed and restrained by the UNCC's regulations. Armed groups and paramilitaries, funded and equipped covertly by corporate agents, began to crop up all over human territory, with Mars in particular seeing an exponential rise in violent crime and civil unrest. "Earthers", as they were called, began to be attacked and harassed on colonies all around the system. The UNCC, fearing a total breakdown of social order; sent a small naval flotilla to Mars in order to maintain control over what was seen to be a rapidly spiraling situation. This was the last straw.

Armed groups began to band together, fearing additional UNCC control and reprisals. These cells of resistance organized into what was colloquially known as the
Separatist Movement. Now a unified force against UNCC oppression, these guerrillas and rebels struck first; launching a sudden and violence campaign at the break of dawn on March 1st, 2180. The token UNCC garrison force was completely unprepared for the vicious wave of attacks and ambushes suddenly thrown against all over the surface of Mars. The most important battles took place at the capital city of Olympus, where rebels raided police stations and destroyed the spaceport, and at the Alain Basin, where the local UNCC garrison was forced to surrender after local cells of Separatists infiltrated the basin's fortress and disabled the defenses. The cities of Mon Kanta and Shon Alkra were reduced to rubble by the orbiting fleet following faulty intel, which only validated the Separatist cause and bolstered their ranks. The Movement swept across the surface of Mars and surrounding stations, causing a tidal wave of uprisings and revolutions across the outer rim. The only colonial holding that was not affected by conflict was the Blue Gem of Humanity, Luna. It would not be until 2195 that an end to the fighting would resolve itself. UNCC liaisons and representatives from the Separatists met and managed to eventually negotiate a cease-fire agreement over the length of the whole conflict, known as the Unification War. Mars, and the surrounding area, would gain independence as the Martian Colonial Confederation. The UNCC would claim Luna, and the surrounding planets. This effective divided the system into two spheres of influence, the Outer Rim and the Inner Sphere. The effects of this decision were felt immediately. The MCC and the UNCC immediately entered into a cold war of sorts. Following the loss of UNCC patrols in the territory, most of the Outer Rim became lawless frontier; swarming with small fleets of pirates and profiteers. Furthermore, with the loss of law enforcement, militias, privately-hired security, and mercenaries became the preferred means by which rules were enforced and business was dealt with.

Cut to present day, 2210. The MCC and UNCC are still caught in a civil war. Corporate powers maintain as much political pull as either of the major governments. And of course, guns still are the word of law. Raiders, paramilitaries, terrorists, and pirates infest the Outer Rim like a disease, preying on mercantile shipments and any vessel that strays too far from international shipping lanes. Mars, especially, has become a den of organized crime and corruption; with the MCC routinely ignoring any domestic problems to protect their borders against the UNCC. Any client meaning to ensure that a job is taken care of typical rely on one of the many mercenary groups that have sprung up to take the place of police. Existing both large and small, official and unofficial, these mercenary groups follow a loose code of honor and are armed to the teeth.

" Guns are a religion for these people. Their bullets are the rosaries. Death is their God. "

-----
[OOC Information]
If you've ever seen Black Lagoon, then you have an idea of what the atmosphere is intended to be. The aesthetics and general setting are an odd-ball mix of cyberpunk technology and Cold War-era styled equipment... sorta. The main characters will obviously be rough and tumble 'mercs. They have not met each other beforehand, and this contract will be the first time they have met. Obviously, this RP will have lots of action and fights, and such. It will also probably focus on some very mature topics; this RP is not meant to be lighthearted. Again, Black Lagoon is a good place to look for how it should play out, sorta. This will not be a "super-realistic" RP, nor will it be fantasy-ish. I'm not going to run hits or anything, so I'll have to trust you guys to act and react in a manner that is somewhat grounded. Guns kill, and very easily. However, I still want to give the freedom to have fights dynamic and fun; so do lots of backflips and jumps and dual-wielding, too. Now, for characters: I don't really care what kind of characters you people present. A tough gunslinger, a stone-cold bitch, an inexperienced newbie. As for characters that are not human: androids do exist, yes; but aliens (and anthros) do not. Some humans have chosen to genetically modify themselves to give themselves animal-like features, and clones (known as vat-growns) exist. Feel free to ask on what goes or no.

-----
[END]
Even though I have all this lore and stuff already, I do want this to be as inclusive as possible. So, feel free to suggest additions and such, as well. Thanks for reading through this absolute wall of text ^^, and have a great day!

Addendum:
[Rules]
1). Please don't ghost. It's somewhat of a bummer to have a good storyline going and to have it all come to a stop. If you have to leave or pause, please let us know.
2). Please be active in OOC and IC. I'm not asking for dozens of posts a day, just enough to keep it going and to keep that momentum. Also, OOC is fun and is a good way for me to gauge how it's going.
3). High-quality posts and characters. Again, I'm not asking for essays upon essays. I would like, however, a good amount of effort put into them. Being literate is required, in this case.
4). Realistic Characters. Now, in this case, I don't really mind if your character is young, as long as it doesn't go past 17. And, y'know, I'm a sucker for angsty backstories. But, please no anime girls with time-splitting katanas.
5). Please feel free to discuss plot or characters. The fun in this is interacting and collaborating with people to make a story, so I'd appreciate some communication. Do you like the story or no, and why? Do you need help with your characters or opinions on them? Ect.
6). As cliche as it is, have fun! Be sure to communicate what you want in this. It's no use if you're not having a good time or want to move on, speak up. If you have suggestions for the plot moving forward, please give them! It's all about teamwork and collaboration.

^^

Defunct-ish.

Same idea, but here and prettier.

Count me interested.