Romantic Gestures

rissa

the clairvoyant pterodactyl
Original poster
VENGEANCE
DONATING MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
What's the most romantic thing that's ever happened to you? Or that you desperately wish would happen one day?

Do you think romance is overrated or is it needed more than ever in todays climate? I'm torn, to be honest; all the ooey gooey stuff I see in shows are so cringey as of late.

oh gods wait does that mean i'm getting old

*sobs* I want a guy to take me out dancing and to get tea at the local tea room....that would be so so so lovely. I think we need some more romance but not in shows, just little things like couples going for walks holding hands, holding open doors for one another, cute things......ugh.

I don't think romance is dead by any means! it all depends on the type of person you are and who you are with. Knowing what they enjoy and being attentive to such things, plus vice versa. I'm actually a very solo person irl -i can be by myself for months and totally content- but knowing that my husband is in the same room as me, is just fantastic.

Though if I was going to be a total goober, I just love when we get to go out. be it to the grocery store, pokemon go playing, or even just flopping on the bed with an overwhelming urge to bite him because apparently saying I love you isn't enough!

I refuse to believe romance is dead!! I absolutely adore seeing cute lil romance in shows or in general, it gives me warm fuzzy feelings sometimes.

The most romantic thing that's happened to me hmm: when COVID started and we were going into lock down, my partner came over and we had a socially distance date :) he brought over snacks that he made sure was all sanitized, put them on the porch and then sat at the bottom of the stairs and I sat on the porch and we talked and ate snacks for a couple hours. This was a few years ago obviously, but it was real sweet!

I'm not a huge "people person" irl or romantic in any way, so I get out all my ooey gooey sappy stuff out in writing LOL
Maybe I just haven't met the right people yet that I don't really have any good stories of romantic things happening 🤔

If I can get over being socially awkward long enough to learn what to say, I wouldn't mind getting a flower or being taken dancing or something!

I've always had issues receiving and expressing romantic gestures. For me handmade gifts are my absolute favorite gestures. My favorite gesture of affection isn't a romantic one it was my sister giving me a handmade crocheted phone holder. Which did happen recently so maybe I'm biased but I genuinely really love that memory and the gift. I worry people think I'm materialistic for my love language being gifts but it's not about the value of the gift, it's the thought behind it. I've never really had too many serious relationships so I don't know what kind of romantic gestures I'd love 😂 probably not public ones

I 100% love romance and everything ooey gooey sugar sweet dramatic cheesy romance -- in fiction. IN FICTION I EAT IT UP LIKE TASTY CANDY I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

In real life, sweet jesus no. Most of it feels really... awkward. Like traditionally romantic things and the vibe of romance, I can't take it seriously AT ALL. It's all too much for me, I can't.

That said, things I find "romantic" that aren't necessarily traditionally considered romantic: The hubbo always leaves me songs on discord that he thinks I'll like. Or when he's ready to drop everything he's doing to come play with me in ESO if I ask. Or if he spots a road kill on the street while driving he'll tell me not to look so I dont have to see it. Or when he fusses at his Dad for teasing at me 😂

My partner has written me letters (the old school way) and custom (handmade) cards, and I think that's pretty romantic! But it's also the little things, like playing videogames together, reading together, etc. that I really appreciate.

I think grand romantic gestures are overrated, tbh. But romance or love in general is something we could probably use a little more in our lives. Haven't been single in a while but I can remember how stale the dating scene was and likely still is. Finding a compatible partner or even a real friend ain't easy when the social climate these days trends toward the superficial.

I'm not the most romantic person and neither do I enjoy most of the so-called romantic gestures that is depicted in romance, it is always a bit too much and makes me often recoil a little because it involves touch and the likes.

Though, I definitely don't think romance is dead! You need to see the romance in there yourself. Most things are considered entirely normal (like opening doors, or pulling out a seat, buying them coffee) until someone decides to put it behind rose-tinted glasses.

Something some might find romantic. 😂 Every day when I go to work I meet this stranger. We don't know each other and have never spoken, but we do always make an effort to smile at each other in a greeting. Lol Best stranger friend, we respect each other's distance but also recognise each other as fellow office troopers.

I am not romantic by nature, and my genuine immediate thought when reading the title of this thread was "Ew."
However, I am capable of affection, but perhaps not in the traditional way in terms of expressing it (ie. dates, etc )
Physical touch is most definitely not one of my 'love languages'. I also don't require verbal affirmations of love, nor gifts.

Being in the same room/space as someone I care about, even if we aren't doing something together and/or the same exact thing, means so much to me. Also, coming home to see that the Old man Floof (le dog) has been groomed, walked, etc. or that the laundry was done, sounds amazing as well.

My partner and I have a tradition we do because we're long distance and only get to see each other for two weeks every year. For our anniversary, we have secret food ordered to the other person's house, picking out something special or new for each other. It's a gamble, but I always think it's sweet to order for each other and get a lil surprise back !! You won't always like what you get, but that can lead to silly conversations and stuff too.

I also like to write them love letters, I sent them a bunch when I moved abroad for a while. >:3c

Reactions: Sleepi_Lullabi
When my husband and I first started dating, I was sick and exhausted a lot. He came over and made me steak, and left. Most romantic thing ever.

Jokes aside, I despise grand romantic gestures. So much. I hate them. They usually hinge on surprise and I HATE surprises, I think more so bc I had a guy I DID NOT LIKE THAT WAY try it on me in high school, and it was just so deeply unpleasant and felt manipulative and presumptive and I hate them.

That said, my husband and I are disgustingly cute both in public and private. Hugs, little kisses, going out on little food dates and walks, probably more cuddles than is healthy for anyone, the whole nine. Romance isn't dead if we're any indication, just in the minor ooeygooey ways. Big romantic gestures need to go die. I hate seeing them in media, too, at this point, bc I think it trains ppl wrong.

I'm not particularly romantic but I certainly don't think romance is dead. I haven't had anyone attempt any grand romantic gestures in my favour but I can say with confidence that I can't imagine I'd prefer it. The most romantic thing anyone has done for me wasn't actually done in a romantic context, but charmed me nonetheless. A long time ago I had a friend compose a song for me, which is also one of the absolute best gifts I have ever received. I will remain forever disappointed that she deleted the upload (not for malicious reasons) and I wasn't smart enough to snag it for myself beforehand.

I am also someone in the boat of loving romance in fiction but not so much in real life. Even with fiction, however, I only find a few romances interesting. If it sparks my interest, chances are that I'll become at least mildly obsessed with it. Most romances, however, I think are cringy and forced. I think of myself as a bit of a hopeless romantic with stories, but my sister insists I am not at all. We both have very different ideas of romance, though.

When it comes to real life, I've steadily begun to realize that I might not be as interested in romance as I thought, lol. It sounds nice, but whenever someone asks me out, I end up recoiling into myself. Especially when they are the type to enjoy stereotypically romantic things like flowers and expensive dinner dates. It doesn't help that I have certain traits that don't gel well with traditional couple dynamics and dating.

When it comes to romance, my main love languages are quality time and acts of service. I appreciate the small things like wanting to hang out, indulging in the same taste in media, doing tasks the other doesn't want to do... those things. All things I find in my friendships, rendering a romantic relationship to be rather unnecessary. Of course, if I were to suddenly fall in love, I wouldn't be resentful of it, lol.

I've a pretty deadened heart, so I haven't felt love in quite some time, but the most romantic stuff? This may be a little too much for a general thread, so I'll put it in spoilers:

Holding hands!

Give me your tiny, your large, Your chilly fingies yearning to be warmed, The hands that that others say holding is a bore!

But no really, holding hands is tight. I was once told that holding hands in public as adults is "childish" and it's lived with me ever since, if holding someone's hand makes me immature, I don't ever wanna be mature.

Generally though, I like my affection through physical touch, snuggles, hugs, I want it all. I'm good with words on the 'puter, but usually kind of a quiet person in person. I just like being nearby my person.

Reading all these answers are so cute 😭 these are adorable, please keep it coming

I haven't had it happened but, I think it would be really nice to get handwritten letters. I love to see their penmanship and how they'd decorate things. I love it when people make handmade gifts! It really shows how much thought and effort is put into it.

I'm someone who isn't really into grand, sweeping romantic gestures, it makes me kind of uncomfortable almost, because they're so over the top a lot of the time.

For me it's the smaller things, like watching a show/movie that might not exactly be the genre or style you like but watching it with your partner anyway because they like it, or making their favorite meal because they've had a bad day and you wanna cheer them up or listening them ramble about something for the fiftieth time because they light up while talking about it. Things like that.

Romance isn't dead; just ask my husband. Lol. I hate romance in my life, but I love reading about it and writing it. I can't think of the most romantic thing, mainly because my entire first marriage was a warped lie and everything he did was a tool for keeping me under his control, but I guess I can say now the most romantic thing is my husband gives me space when I need it. We both know each other so well that we don't even have to say it when we need something. I appreciate him and all that he does.

The most romantic thing to happen to me was when my husband and I went on our first date. We went out for pizza and he gifted me my first-ever high-quality pocket knife. From then on began traditions of 'romantic gestures' that involve giving of fine blades, hammers, crowbars, and other such things we can take with us into BATTLE! <3

...*sighs nostalgically* Gosh that was so many years ago. We were so cute. Now lookit us, all tired and old and ugly. Lmao.

• Love
Reactions: Peter Feels