Roleplays we can't let go....

I'm going through this right now with pretty much all of my rps. >_<

All of my partners have real life stuff going on at the same time, and I'm just sitting here with a complete lack of motivation to do anything else because I'm stuck on the rps I currently have going. I haven't been able to think of any replies for my other rps at all. It sucks! I just hope no one disappears on me. >_<

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I had an RP partner once who was hands down one of the best writers I'd ever met. Her characters were always brilliantly thought out, she was great at coming up for ideas to advance story, and she was inspiring. But she would RP with us for a few months, then vanish for a month or two, then come back, be sporadic about posting, then disappear, then come back, etc. Then one day, she was gone forever. T_______T

Samui if you're out there I miss you!!

O_O vanish for a month or two? Oh my god that is terrifying.

Nim if you stalk this: DON'T YOU DARE D:

I've been in several RPs like that, and we usually just plan to revive it later, which doesn't always work because of factors with the players (one of the most successful RP Sagas I've hosted went through 2 long RPs and then the group split because of animosity at the beginning of the third one, and it died and has little hope of coming back, at least not without heavy editting).

The one that stands out to me the most is a modern-day RP called Quarantine Zone. It was set in a fictional continent (the host's usual go-to world for modern day stuff) and centered around a pestilence called terialis. Terialis was transmitted through the air and killed its victim within a couple weeks, but a select few people were resistant, and that was where the main plot point came from: Resistant, infected individuals gained supernatural powers. The characters' goal was to find a cure (even resistant people died within a few months most of the time) and the secret of the powers. It contains two of my best written characters (in my opinion) an infected eiditicker named Kaylee and a healthy (at first) mad scientist named Richard. Kaylee had the ability to disconnect her awareness and explore her surroundings remotely (she'd go into shock if she lingered too long, though), which eventually grew into a sort of power I call "all-sense" or "over-sense". She could feel, vaguely at first and more specificially later, events in a radius around her. It saved the party's life when a politician (one of the villains) with the Terialic (a "resistant" individual with a rare strain of the disease that should have died long ago, but was kept alive by a hulking shell of life support machines, and had incredible reality bending powers) came looking for them. Richard served as the party's exposition sometimes (I wasn't the host but I was communicating closely with them) and midway through became the group's main fighter; he was infected and turned out to extremely resistant, and was able to manipulate kinetic energy. He once fought the Terialic and escaped with his life by using his ability to collapse the ceiling between them, and even unarmed could take out soldiers with rifles by simply making a shield with his ability. The characters may seem a little overpowered, but all the infected characters were on a timer, and that was the main driving force of tension, that they HAD to find a cure in the next few weeks.

QZ died because of real life situations with the players, but we're thinking of reviving it (since most of the original people are active again). It happens to contain one of my favorite posts of mine, so excuse me for fanboying over my past writing a little and reposting it here:

Kaylee more or less ignored Richard and Mayleen, idly wandering deeper into the lightly forested park. Michel trailed behind her, as ever. Her older brother, and, in a way, her guardian angel, was always vigilant, although he lacked his kin's uncanny observative expertise. In more ways than one... Kaylee thought distantly. She sometimes wondered whether she should consider her clairvoyance a blessing, or a curse that only worsened the disease that sapped her strength day by day. She rolled up her sleeve and stared at her arm, stopping. Her skin was pale, almost unnaturally so. And she didn't need a dread mirror to know her eyes were out of sync. The gray that was now a trademark of the deathly plague stained one of her irises. Sighing, she continued to walk aimlessly, taking in everything around her, for once, instead of purposefully shutting out sensory input. She remembered everything she saw, everything she heard. Most would consider it a boon, but that was simply because they did not understand. It was an ability beyond their ken, and they could not know what drawbacks it brought. Idly, the girl knelt, staring at a peculiar flower. I've never seen a plant like this before... She pondered. It appeared to be some kind of lily, but none Kaylee had ever seen or read about. Carefully, she plucked it from the ground. After staring at it in her hand for a moment longer, she entwined it in her hair and stood. Distantly, she proceeded with her wanderings. The park was a beautiful place, the kind of calm beauty not often witnessed in this troubled age. Governments locked down cities, placed curfews and strict laws. Misguided idealists plotted to splinter the nation with no thoughts to the consequences. Outlaws and looters roamed the abandoned places. The world was in chaos, yet it all seemed so far away in this little garden in the safest city in the country. It would be easy for the people in Vodigrad to pretend that terialis didn't exist, that it wasn't their problem. It would be easy to ignore it. But a threat ignored will only creep up on you. Even if Kaylee's own group hadn't spelled the arrival of the disease, it would come soon enough.
Kaylee suddenly snapped out of her reverie as she almost walked into a stream. She stepped back quickly, almost tripping over Michel, who was already reaching out to keep her from falling. The peculiar flower in her hair was jarred loose, and she could do nothing but watch as it drifted through the air, to settle into the water, sending out ripples that distorted the mirror's reflection that troubled her so. As the reflected image of a twisted world and a dying girl was warped, the lily fell apart, it's petals floating on the surface of the water.
Kaylee could do nothing but stare.

Also I'm still new here and I have a probably unnecessary desire to show that yes, I can write relatively competently.

When unfortunate events happen and the roleplay no longer lives and i love it too much then i write it all out as a kind of book, rewriting all the roleplay went thought and then writing the future while being in character and so on. It's not the same but it's the closest you'll ever get to the real thing.
amg.... i'm not the only one who does this, thank goodness :`)

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
For me, I have three reactions.

If the story itself was good, I try recreating it when I believe the time is right.

If the story was decent but the real magic happened with the characters, I usually pass down these moments in another appropriate RP, integrate the good points and drop the bad ones. It happened more than once before I got here that, with permission, I would pick up a whole plot arc (with all the characters and everything, even if the other players were not participating) and have it as a side arc.

And if things just didn't work out, I note it down (and usually ideas from that will seep back into stuff on it's own without me realizing).

Side note - if you people have any RP that you lost and would love to try and recreate it, I would LOVE to try it for you. I'm very varied and I'm sure I could make it work for at least someone.

On another site I had this epic thread going with a partner. She disappeared for three months which was fine, she told me ahead of time. The thread had 450 posts going, good character development, details, a plot we both enjoyed then suddenly she lost interest. I wanted to continue but if the interest is not there couldn't do anything about it nor did I want to start it up with anyone else. To me it wouldn't feel right. I mourned the thread for a bit before moving on.

I'm currently mourning the loss of a few group threads I've done in the past. It wasn't because of the people though. It was simply because of the idea. Everything was so fleshed out but people had to ruin that for me. I hope to bring the ideas here soon...

I had that with an RP years upon years ago, actually involving two characters I've since moved to here, because I cling to things forever. Though it was my fault it ended, because I was the one who vanished into the ether (which, while I'm still prone to vanishing for long stretches of time, I've since gotten much better about), and I'm still kicking myself over that one. I actually have the RP logs saved, but don't want to read them in case it's not as good as I remember it being.

But what was so notable about it is that the other person had never RPed before then. Nonetheless, she kept up with my posts perfectly, and did even better in many ways. There were character arcs, and the plot was always moving, and the characters had chemistry. It was a complete accident that we'd begun talking, but it worked out wonderfully until I shot myself in the foot.

I usually keep the idea in mind and potentially use it for writing whenever I'd like.

The current roleplay I'm in (Murder Games) is one I can't stop. It is so well done by the GM and the other players are active and great.

Oh man, I had a roleplay once years back when i was a teenager, it was so great that when it ended our next roleplay was a sequel.

It was simple; unlikely-misfits-team-up-to-save-the-world, and then it turend out one of them was a former villain, and there was this crazy guy with ringlets that chased them and had a creepy crush on the girl and *sigh* good times...