Roleplaying with Someone who isn't good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crafter

Original poster
Mods feel free to delete this. I wrote this in anger, so kind of pointless to have up. I feel ashamed now, and said some things I didn't mean. The girl is not a terrible role player, I was just upset when I wrote this.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, there is never a need to ghost a partner or a person, no matter who incompatible they are with you as a friend or roleplay partner. If you don't feel confident enough to come out and say why you're not interested in roleplaying with them, I'd just politely tell them that the roleplay isn't what you're looking for at this time and, that you're sorry, but you don't wish to continue the roleplay. It's polite to at least tell the person you're leaving the story, even if you don't give specifics why. That way, they aren't left hanging forever.

So, that aside, let's move on.

When it comes to roleplay, I've found that I don't have time for roleplays I don't enjoy. I'm a busy person and roleplay is a hobby for me, not my job. Perhaps I'm blunt, but I'm not afraid to drop someone if I'm not enjoying a story. Telling her no isn't ditching. Ditching is saying yes, starting, and never responding again.

In this instance, it sounds to me like you're yanking this girl's chain a little by kind of committing, but not really committing to roleplay with her. Though it may not seem like it on the surface, it sounds like you're being ruder to her this way (this non-committal, I want to be nice but I don't like you sort of thing) than if you just told her you weren't interested in writing with her. You don't' have to be a jerk when dropping someone, but dragging them along and keeping their hopes up is the worst thing you can do to a person.

If you're still feeling hesitant about that, have you considering politely asking her if she's interested in getting some lessons? Even if you don't want to do it, personally, there are tons of writing/roleplaying coaches floating around. I bet several people on this site would be happy to help her, but asking her if you she wants you to just write her character isn't helping anyone. It's a waste of your time, it will probably crush her feelings, and everything will be worse off.

I'm going to be honest, but it sounds like maybe you're not the person she needs to guide her and help her develop her writing. That's not a call on your character or skills, but if you can't put up with someone needing a heavy hand in guidance, offer to help her find someone who will. (: Just my two cents. Good luck in your situation!

Reactions: Kagayours
First of all, there is never a need to ghost a partner or a person, no matter who incompatible they are with you as a friend or roleplay partner. If you don't feel confident enough to come out and say why you're not interested in roleplaying with them, I'd just politely tell them that the roleplay isn't what you're looking for at this time and, that you're sorry, but you don't wish to continue the roleplay. It's polite to at least tell the person you're leaving the story, even if you don't give specifics why. That way, they aren't left hanging forever.

To me ditching/ghosting is leaving in general. I've never left without warning. If I didn't think things would work I have always told her so. Usually I RP with her for a few months, before a combination of real life factors, and depression kicks in, and I have always sent a message saying that I would be away.

So, that aside, let's move on.

When it comes to roleplay, I've found that I don't have time for roleplays I don't enjoy. I'm a busy person and roleplay is a hobby for me, not my job. Perhaps I'm blunt, but I'm not afraid to drop someone if I'm not enjoying a story. Telling her no isn't ditching. Ditching is saying yes, starting, and never responding again.

In this instance, it sounds to me like you're yanking this girl's chain a little by kind of committing, but not really committing to roleplay with her. Though it may not seem like it on the surface, it sounds like you're being ruder to her this way (this non-committal, I want to be nice but I don't like you sort of thing) than if you just told her you weren't interested in writing with her. You don't' have to be a jerk when dropping someone, but dragging them along and keeping their hopes up is the worst thing you can do to a person.

If you're still feeling hesitant about that, have you considering politely asking her if she's interested in getting some lessons? Even if you don't want to do it, personally, there are tons of writing/roleplaying coaches floating around. I bet several people on this site would be happy to help her, but asking her if you she wants you to just write her character isn't helping anyone. It's a waste of your time, it will probably crush her feelings, and everything will be worse off.

I'm going to be honest, but it sounds like maybe you're not the person she needs to guide her and help her develop her writing. That's not a call on your character or skills, but if you can't put up with someone needing a heavy hand in guidance, offer to help her find someone who will. (: Just my two cents. Good luck in your situation!

I am fully committing. I have always fully committed. I have to be really stressed out in my real life to leave. I get that I could have worded my post better. But I'm not someone who leaves my partners. I did not ask to write her character, it was a mere thought that crossed my mind like; "I wonder if it would be rude of me to offer help/feedback with her OC?" I refrained from saying anything though. I can put up with a lot, and the fact that we've roleplayed multiple times, and she knows me by name, I think shows that she does like me enough to want to RP. I've even contacted her. My exasperation comes out when I'm having really bad days, and I don't want to explain everything. On a normal day I'm very laid back, and more than willing to help her through everything.

Truth is I was really upset when I wrote the first post. I've been getting my hopes crushed lately for some RP's I'm craving, and she contacted me last night, we talked for a bit, and she asked to RP, and I know she won't disappear on me, but I was upset over the fact that I kind of wish I could RP something I'd like to do, for maybe one time this year without being dropped without warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.