• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, some RP's have characters pick theme songs? o.O
I've never ran into this before.

That... I don't even...
Did they at least dance like this?

No, even worse.

They were sharpening their boot knives they just used to stab a man who was holding them at gun point to mug them.

No, even worse.

They were sharpening their boot knives they just used to stab a man who was holding them at gun point to mug them.
So their reaction to an attempted mugging and killing a man is to sing a song from another race that's 100's of years old?

So, you finally track down an interesting-looking, well-written RP premise. You're pumped. You express your interest. Next thing you know, other aspiring players do the same. Maybe some seem like perfect additions, getting you even more excited to play. But eventually, a few come out of the woodwork and immediately make it clear that they're not going to be on par with what you're hoping from others for the game and will more than likely single-handedly ruin any prospect of enjoying it.

Maybe they want to play their own personal King of the Munchkins, who can lay waste to whole armies with the flexing of their mighty muscles of mightydom (never mind the fucking armory they're somehow lugging around with them). Or a sparkly little snowflake made up of a menagerie of weird, fantastic forebears that don't belong in the setting and has some asinine name to boot (bonus points for something inexplicably foreign or cartoonish or reminds you of a broody teenage girl). Or some conceited prick who contributes nothing to the game but snark and eye rolls, yet is supposed to somehow avoid suffering any fallout for it. Or a character who is simply just a product of the player's abysmal reading comprehension.

There are plenty of others, many already likely mentioned in this thread. In short, these players, or at least their characters, become the proverbial skid mark on the otherwise fresh and perfectly unsullied pair of briefs that is the burgeoning RP. But because the GM is understandably eager for any interest at all, you find yourself saddled with co-players you'd otherwise not go near with a ten-foot pole.

Alternatively or in addition to this, the GM will reveal more about the premise following your investment in it that undermines your initial enthusiasm in the entire idea. Then at some point the thing dies a sudden, pitiful death, without ever realizing anything approaching the potential that first caught your eye.

Yeah, that can sort of be a bummer.

Last edited:
1. Everyone always assuming everything is about combat in a roleplay and always seeking to be combat experts. Here's the deal, other skill sets come into utilization and wouldn't hurt. A healer, an investigator, a socialite, a tinker, there are all these vast majority of roles... But it always falls upon a very select few to go pure utility and have no defensibility if anything does go to shit while they're alone because everyone else had to go straight up hardcore combatant.

2. Speaking of combatants... So many people not seeming to understand how mechanics of combat work. Like lines of sight, stealth, distance, the distance at which a bullet travels and the average reactionary time when a gun is already pointed at you versus how long it takes a vampire to run 10 yards. It is so ridiculous the levels at which people do not understand the basic principles at which their world operates. Some of which is just being observant of how things are around them or just using common sense.

3. People who assume a level one character can do anything and everything right at the word go... Get it through your head.. You're just starting, you need a floor from which to build from. You aren't going to be the strong or fastest or most wise person.

4. People who equate saying your character being smart is... actually making them smart.... No... No it is not... Saying your character are these things does not actually work... If you cannot manage to write the character in a manner that relays this. Essentially, if you do not know how to write a character type correctly, you stumble, fall, and look ridiculous in the attempt.

5. The jackwad that has to have the unique snowflake character that does not fit the setting. Be it the katana-wielding badass in the medieval RP or the celtic god-child in the roman RP that has not even made it to the UK region. Just... No.

I have more, but these are just a few of my pet peeves that I find so very annoying. You're bound to come across them when you RP for so long and with so many different people. Really, though, I try not to let it get to me and enjoy the experience.

I thought of another, Elitism.

By that I mean the people who hold really high standards in their RP and then make those who are more new or less skilled feel like lesser people for not having the same skill level.
Everyone's new at some point, some people are just naturals while others aren't, some people have more time to throw at RPs than others do.

The mentality of writing "X" lines, or better skill at making a character somehow makes the person inherently better than others is infuriating.
Mentalities like that are what scare people away and kills communities, not what allows new people to foster their skills ad grow.

And no simply going "Ok, I'll be generous and let the new guy in" but then expecting them to magically catch up on their own without aid or assistance doesn't count.
That's not helping or encouraging anyone to do better, all that's doing is setting up a scenario for them to fail

Now before anyone pounces on me, no I'm not saying anyone who holds a high standard for roleplaying falls under this.
This strictly a peeve directed at the ones who either let their skill get to their heads, or holds an unrealistic expectation for everyone to start off their roleplaying career at some advanced level.

By that I mean the people who hold really high standards in their RP and then make those who are more new or less skilled feel like lesser people for not having the same skill level.
Everyone's new at some point, some people are just naturals while others aren't, some people have more time to throw at RPs than others do.

The mentality of writing "X" lines, or better skill at making a character somehow makes the person inherently better than others is infuriating.
Mentalities like that are what scare people away and kills communities, not what allows new people to foster their skills ad grow.

And no simply going "Ok, I'll be generous and let the new guy in" but then expecting them to magically catch up on their own without aid or assistance doesn't count.
That's not helping or encouraging anyone to do better, all that's doing is setting up a scenario for them to fail.

I must agree. Elitism is my biggest roleplaying pet peeves and the leading cause of me leaving the last RP site I was on.

That's not helping or encouraging anyone to do better, all that's doing is setting up a scenario for them to fail

Now before anyone pounces on me, no I'm not saying anyone who holds a high standard for roleplaying falls under this.
This strictly a peeve directed at the ones who either let their skill get to their heads, or holds an unrealistic expectation for everyone to start off their roleplaying career at some advanced level.
That's one of my pet peeves... Is someone joining an RP that is obviously a different standard of level expected to play at than they are currently at. Either that one person who is leagues above and has to spam paragraphs in a short and easy RP or the person that just is starting out and is in a group of people that are veterans. Really, it isn't elitism if its a group of people all at the same level except for this one guy who is floundering. At that point, its the job of the individual to realize "Hey! Maybe this atmosphere really isn't conducive to my roleplaying experience!" and bow out, or ask for help and advice in order to improve and be on par with the group.

I understand, you aren't going to get better if you never step outside your comfort level every now and then... But those who join an RP knowingly out of their depths and make no attempts to improve and bitch and moan the entire time when they just don't get it or other people are not at their level or are being "elitists" are only proving to do one thing... Ruin the experiences of the others around them.

Honestly, I feel it is the responsibility of everyone involved to check and understand what level is going to be expected within the RP before they job in order to enhance the experience. Yes, there can be a little sway above and below, but if you look in everybody's little RP Card sheet on their profile, there is a region that does ask you at which level you do feel comfortable RPing at. These are tools that we all can easily utilize and honestly should.

/end-rant

Reactions: Pachamac
Really, it isn't elitism if its a group of people all at the same level except for this one guy who is floundering. At that point, its the job of the individual to realize "Hey! Maybe this atmosphere really isn't conducive to my roleplaying experience!" and bow out, or ask for help and advice in order to improve and be on par with the group.
So to further clarify.

I'm not talking about those who are in an advanced roleplay and get an applicant who is no where near their skill level.
I'm not talking about those who legitimately do wok to help others improve their skills.

I am talking about people who see themselves as superior or better than other roleplayers because of their skill level.
The kind of who look at people who are lower than them, and instead of respecting the skill difference they take it as a chance to glorify themselves while talking down about the others.
The kind who might offer to 'help' others, but in truth are simply expecting the person to automatically catch up and if they don't they are somehow 'Lazy, dumb, lacking initiative, effort, discipline etc.'.

Those are the kinds of people I'm referring to here.

Last edited:
It's not even that I'm a skilled player that this matter of supposed elitism is an issue. I find that elitism is more of a fabricated issue that people create themselves when they begin to try and roleplay outside of their skill levels. Yes, people will get frustrated when someone tries to join an RP and they are the odd-man out as far as skill, again, whether they are higher or lower. Inevitably, it will lead to harsh feelings and a lack of enjoyment all around and ultimately, the one player being singled out and potentially ignored all around. Really, the whole thing can be avoided, so very simply, by sticking to roleplays of individuals with looser level restrictions or that are more to your guidelines. Because, lo and behold, no one can complain of elitism when there is no reason for people to feel superior.

Really, when people are coming here in there free time to relax and have fun, I can feel their frustration when one or a select few end up disrupting an experience because they are not on the level as others. And it is no one's fault if they are not wanting to teach that person because it is not their responsibility to be teaching this person, either. That is a matter of generosity if they are wanting to teach. It does, in the end, fall upon the one who is out of bounds to seek a solution if they find their skills are inadequate for the levels at which they wish to roleplay. Resources are so readily available online. They are readily available here on Iwaku. They are just a few clicks away. And people should not be dragging the experience of others down, when it is a pastime they should be enjoying, because of their own shortcomings.

*bows out*

• Love
Reactions: Pachamac
Ok, looking at the post order above there might have been a misunderstanding here.
My Elitism post was not in response to your own post Tempest, you just happened to be the most recent poster when it had dawned on me.
So in case you had taken my post as some sort of attack or criticism of yourself, it wasn't.
I'm not talking about those who are in an advanced roleplay and get an applicant who is no where near their skill level.
^In other words not referring to the cases you are saying I am.
The kind who might offer to 'help' others, but in truth are simply expecting the person to automatically catch up and if they don't they are somehow 'Lazy, dumb, lacking initiative, effort, discipline etc.'.
^In other words those say they'll help but then do nothing.
Mainly those people who don't walk the talk.

*Is dropping this now because it's both not a debate thread, and I'm getting tired of literally repeating myself several times*

Last edited:
not letting me know when you're out for an extended period

When people break character for dialogue or combat. Say you made a hot tempered character who likes to act first then think later, suddenly when its time for your character to put their life on the line they become Sun Tzu. Or when your character can suddenly speak with absolute eloquence and reason in dialogue, when throughout the RP you've portrayed your character differently. A reckless character should make reckless choices, and an impatient character should be impatient in their dialogue as well. I can't think of a way to describe it better, but my gripe ultimately boils down to people not making and sticking to character flaws. I'm guilty of doing it too, which is probably why it's an even bigger pet peeve.

When people break character for dialogue or combat. Say you made a hot tempered character who likes to act first then think later, suddenly when its time for your character to put their life on the line they become Sun Tzu. Or when your character can suddenly speak with absolute eloquence and reason in dialogue, when throughout the RP you've portrayed your character differently. A reckless character should make reckless choices, and an impatient character should be impatient in their dialogue as well. I can't think of a way to describe it better, but my gripe ultimately boils down to people not making and sticking to character flaws. I'm guilty of doing it too, which is probably why it's an even bigger pet peeve.

I haven't run into this too often, but it would drive me nuts.

Reactions: Atlas Child
Inconsistent activity levels, without prior warning that they'll be busy, or explaining that they're stumped on what to say in a reply or uninspired and they haven't lost interest in the roleplay/do intend to continue when they're up to it. Everybody's human though so I'm pretty understanding about it, I just get excitedly impatient to continue a roleplay is all xD I'm a very 'instant gratification' kindof person, unfortunately.

The only other thing that really bothers me, I guess, are characters who are written as being the biggest and the best and the bravest at absolutely everything in every single situation, but I'm pretty sure when I first started roleplaying, I probably pulled some of that in the moment without realizing it. Again though, everybody's human, so I'm pretty forgiving.

I'm not exactly guilty of elitism, but I do have fairly high standards.

My pet peeve is that no one bothers reading that! I make a search post with what I'm looking for, and I always add that I'm comfortable with a certain paragraph amount. I don't like short posts, and to be honest, I feel like I'm dumbing myself down trying to do a short post. I tell people in my request that four paragraphs is my minimum, and I'm usually looking for someone who can match me.

Yet, I get everything but that! In some cases I don't mind because I'm given enough to work with and it's written well enough that I can overlook the length. Other times though I just stare at what I'm reading for hours and wonder how the fuck I'm expected to respond with even one line when there's absolutely nothing there for me to do anything with!

My idea of advanced and everyone else's is on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Maybe it's me that has it wrong. I don't know. X_x

Thrillseekers: People who post a few times and lose their boner because they have short attention spans. People who like writing characters instead of writing stories.

I'm not even mad about people who disappear.

Most of my pronounced peeves have to do with certain characters that I've seen over the years. Keep in mind that I'm painting these characters in broad strokes and I do not necessarily have a problem with your character if it shares one of these traits. I'm not going to list Sues or Stus because that's a given.

The Tortured Soul: This character is motivated by the death of someone in their family or the death of their entire family. This detail doesn't enrich the character in any real way but instead makes them brooding and moody, you know, kinda like Batman.

The Victim: The victim comes in many different shades and tends to make those shades known at any opportunity to draw attention or sympathy upon themselves. The one that I have taken most issue with in the past is the rape victim or sexual abuse victim. Now these two things are very real problems and have very real and damaged people behind them. I take issue with those who just throw that detail on as if it were a hat...a hat that makes people feel sorry for you.

The Halfblood: "Yeah, my character is a half angel, half demon, half cyclops." They've got a little bit of everything in them and none of it makes the character any more interesting, it just makes them more "powerful" or "special." You know the ones, you know the ones.

Shipped Relations: I don't do RP themed after television shows, books or comics all that often, but when I do, I really don't like seeing someone who is related to two characters who they've shipped. It feels like a silly way to shoehorn importance into the character.

That's it for now!

I have tons of pet peeves. Because I'm one easy motherfucker to annoy/irritate, and I notice trends pretty quickly. I read the thread and I'm going to try to avoid repeating, though, it's inevitable.

- Right now, my biggest pet peeve is when people form long term team ups with each other and literally live in their own bubble. Now, don't get me wrong, I love a good long term team-up. But in a group RP, and you do literally nothing but talk to one person, it gets boring. Especially in character-driven RPs. Like seriously, take that shit to the 1x1 section. Worse of all is when these team ups are pretty much outside the plot going on a selfwank adventure while everyone is doing the actually important stuff. Not even going into the fact that if one leaves, the other follows them out - like there isn't anything else to the RP. To the point where I'm about to bar long-term team ups in future Roleplays.

- People who are annoyingly impatient with RPs. Like god damn. I want things to go at a steady pace so people can actually keep up with it. A lot of people have lives outside of Roleplaying (And in my case, other hobbies to keep them busy), and some people can't seem to get that. Instead, they choose to bitch about the pace and refuses to budge, saying shit like "I want to see the RP succeed!" and shit. Motherfucker, so do I. Bitching about it won't make it go faster. Fortunately, these types are usually the first to leave. Though, sometimes, I slow things down on purpose to piss them off.

- Another huuuuuuuuge one is when people play to "win". Like, instead of trying to make an interesting character, they try to make their guy the best at fighting, or just tries to overpower them so they can be the "best". It's not annoying when I GM because I have rules that turn away half of them, and usually deal with the other half preeeetty quickly. The only problem is when I don't GM and the guy lets these morons in and turns a good RP into a circle-jerk.

- This is just as bad as the guys who play to win, but people who try waaaaaaay too hard to make their character sympathetic or something dumb. Like giving them a stupidly over the top backstory, or something stupid. I mean, if done right (I.E. Don't make it your character's only trait), you could make an interesting character. But most of the time, it comes out being really laughable. And the people who don't go over the top are the most cringeworthy. Like, they have their character angst over small things when some people got it way worse and take it in stride.

- The same with people who try to make their characters edgy. It's a terrible character archetype that only hurts the RP in the longrun. On the plus side, it's pretty hilarious.

- People who get weight wrong. Like, everyone thinks if you weigh over 130 pounds they're fat. I know people of people who are like 5'10, and weigh 150+ and are perfectly skinny. It gets worse when you have a really tall character that weighs like 120lb and I'm like "Bitch, you should be fucking anorexic".

- Anyone who makes all their characters super hot. Bonus points if they go out of their way describing how hot they are in their appearance section. Like, I know Roleplaying is pretty much wish fulfillment and escapism... but the concept of "good looks" is very subjective. To the point where I stopped saying my characters are "attractive". Still, I can't really complain about this anymore since it's pretty much universal *Shrugs*. I can only silently shake my fist.

- Tacking gay/bi/pan onto your character just for the hell of it. I believe that sexuality should be worked into a character, and not placed simply to try to make their character unique or something. It gets worse when they hammer in how gay their character is. It makes the character very unnatural and forced.

- Anime roleplays/characters. Now, don't get me wrong, I like anime as much as the next guy, but I like realism when I Roleplay. It goes without saying where Anime falls on the realism spectrum. The problem is when people use anime faceclaims/themes in an otherwise realistic Roleplay. It just doesn't look right when you have Sawyer and Bob, then this motherfucka inserts Akiro the ninja samurai chick, or Sakura the edgelord, in your lineup. Plus, in my eyes, anyone who uses anime faceclaims pretty much become synonymous with the annoying types. The kind of people who just force their anime into otherwise good Roleplays where it doesn't fit. But, I usually just avoid RPs where anime faceclaims are widespread, and just outright ban anime faceclaims.

- Tacking gay/bi/pan onto your character just for the hell of it. I believe that sexuality should be worked into a character, and not placed simply to try to make their character unique or something. It gets worse when they hammer in how gay their character is. It makes the character very unnatural and forced.
Fucking. This.

I see that LGTBQRSTUV tag stuck on loads of request threads, usually I ignore it, because hey, someone's sexuality shouldn't be that big of a deal, right?

Wrong. (Most of the time.)

When I ask them about who their character is, what are their hobbies, their life goals, etc etc. Trying to figure our what sort of character would interact well with theirs?
They're gay/bi/trans.

Feels shallow me.

This. Absolutely this.

"But we need more equal representation in media!" So you're going to achieve this by making random gay characters, rather than a character who happens to be gay? You're going about it all wrong. Just make a character like you normally would, then roll some dice for their sexuality. I'm not kidding. That's exactly how life works, so if you really want to be representative of life...
Roll a D10. D10's are awesome because you can roll up a bunch of characters and get sexualities reflective of the world's population statistically.
1=Heterosexual.
2=Heterosexual.
3=Heterosexual.
4=Heterosexual.
5=Heterosexual.
6=Heterosexual.
7=Homosexual.
8=Homosexual.
9=Bisexual.
10=Other.

I'll typically skewer statistics by taking two slots away from Heterosexual and giving Homosexual and Bisexual each one additional slot. Feel free to mess around with with the roll table until it fits your personal comforts, obviously.

Make sure to roll these dice last. If their sexuality actually interferes with who they are as a person, take a good, long, hard look at yourself in the mirror: You are part of the problem they face every day of being stereotyped. Yes, gender identities exist and are a thing. Yes, sexuality does influence how you perceive other people (ie: does he/she/it look attractive). No, sexuality does not determine who you are, only what you are. There are people of all stripes, all walks of life, all colours--people who have achieved anything from being top notch politicians and businessmen to garbage collectors and construction workers--who are homosexual. A homosexual can be anyone, or anything. So when you create a character, you should honestly save their sexuality for last. Homosexuals are not fairies to be created as a different race, that's irritating as fuck and about on par to making a black character who loves watermelons and talks like an inebriated buffoon who needs their master. Seriously, if you want to be inclusive, stop giving a fuck. Really, stop. This is how you become more inclusive. Stop thinking "I'm going to make a gay character", just think "I'm going to make a character who may or may not have my sexual preferences." The end.

Jeez I ain't normally a social justice warrior type, but if we're gonna be talkin' pet peeves, yeah, yeah this ranks pretty high up there. If you wanna get real advanced about it, you'll look at the society they live in and then decide whether they can be open or not about their sexuality... Just remember, that a person's sexuality is not a fucking personality. The only exception I'll give is if you're looking for smut and just want to write something that turns you on, then, well, obviously, ignore everything above. Enjoy your cheap pornography. :ferret:

Status
Not open for further replies.