Roleplaying Pet Peeves

Do you have a roleplaying pet peeve?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going off the Tueller test, and 10 feet seems way too short.

Well I did mention that the Nazi would have to bring up the weapon on aim and ready it for the situation to be plausible, otherwise if it's simply up and shoot you're character's fucked unless they're super human.

But yes, in the most likely scenarios firearms > melee weapons.
Assuming mister Nazi is on duty and has the weapon handy, you can be assured that there's a magazine in the weapon and it's loaded. The only thing he'd have to do, maybe, is flick the safety. Even if you have to cock a weapon, it's still a pretty quick motion. I can't conceivably think of a situation where if I were aware of somebody coming at me with a melee weapon and I had a gun in my hand where I'd come out the loser. Keep in mind, worst case scenario, most soldiers know how to do hand-to-hand fighting and a rifle makes for a really handy club, or spear if it has a bayonet. A sword can't cut through hard wood and steel, so it's feasible that the soldier could parry the blow and strike back, which gives him the option of either preparing his weapon to fire, or keep on pressing the attack. People are feisty little bastards when they're fighting for their lives.

When people put semicolons at the end of every other sentence just because they think it makes them seem smarter when THOSE THINGS ARE PRACTICALLY USELESS and you kinda look like a tool when you use them every few posts/paragraphs/sentences. Like, yes, I know you know what a semicolon is and have a... tenuous grasp on how it works, but I don't need you to prove it to me all the damn time.
Cephalo really didn't like when others used semi-colons; it truly offended the beautiful structure of a sentence with a garish affront to punctuation, as if it were the bastard stepson of a proper colon.

Reactions: Hana
We're onto romance peeves for RP now?

How about pairings? The most cliche and least thought out form of RP I see around the site.

Oh you liked my plots? Then why are you trying to pitch demon king x hero to me? No I'm not too interested in angel x vampire.

I actually found this one out literally a year ago. Someones character, who will question everything you are doing. Every little thing, say you are cutting a tree down. They will question you, say you are giving out reports. They will question you, say you are saying happy birthday to someone. They will freaking question you! Like god damn, sure you can question some things, but when you go that far then just no.

Reactions: Brovo
AND ANOTHER THING: all those fantasy roleplays with characters/places/THINGS full of incomprehensible vowels and consonants. Even worse is shoving in fifteen apostrophes into that mess because of some arbitrary reason ("because it's a fantasy!!! It's what Tolkien/Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman/H.P. Lovecraft/other big name fantasy authors do!!"). Those people have been doing what they've been doing (and doing it well!) for YEARS longer than your quickly thought up idea. The way they did it made sense and then it became iconic. I couldn't pronounce this if I had a universal translator BECAUSE THEY DON'T TRANSLATE STUPID. *rages*
Cephalo really didn't like when others used semi-colons; it truly offended the beautiful structure of a sentence with a garish affront to punctuation, as if it were the bastard stepson of a proper colon.
boo you, whore. But I will give you props for the description.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're onto romance peeves for RP now?

How about pairings? The most cliche and least thought out form of RP I see around the site.

Oh you liked my plots? Then why are you trying to pitch demon king x hero to me? No I'm not too interested in angel x vampire.
I like the ones that pair absolute opposites as though that's supposed to be thrilling. Like "Rapist X High Schooler" or "Lycanthrope X Hunter". Bro, I don't know about you, but if I was hunting down a malevolent monster of the night, the last thing on my mind upon seeing it would be "my, but what a large dick set of teeth you have there, grandma." I'd probably be shooting it to death.

In short: If you're gonna do a pairing of opposites, you need a plot to go with it that explains why or how they could see past their insane hatred for each other, or the malevolent villainly of one and innocence of the other. Unless you just want to write some rape fantasy smut thing, then well, good for you. I'm glad you're exploring your fantasies. Just... Stop offering them to me. I prefer not psychotic obsessions when I write romance, and I love to write romance, so... :ferret:

AND ANOTHER THING: all those fantasy roleplays with characters/places/THINGS full of incomprehensible vowels and consonants. Even worse is shoving in fifteen apostrophes into that mess because of some arbitrary reason ("because it's a fantasy!!! It's what Tolkien/Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman/H.P. Lovecraft/other big name fantasy authors do!!"). Those people have been doing what they've been doing (and doing it well!) for YEARS longer than you're quickly thought up idea. The way they did it made sense and then it became iconic. I couldn't pronounce this if I had a universal translator BECAUSE THEY DON'T TRANSLATE STUPID. *rages*

boo you, whore. But I will give you props for the description.
<3 Hue hue hue.

Sorry, I had to. Although, I do use semi-colons where they're appropriate in my own writing. They do have a time and a place!

RP dedicated to character development but then the GM insists players move away from the starting point before we've filled the first page.

Characters that are supposed to be literal newborns in grown bodies yet are perfectly capable of having instant knowledge of others motives and attitudes by their actions.

People that ignore rules when making a character. It says humanoid. No you can't be a spider. But I'm not the GM so I can't argue it.
Does this mean you're bowing out of Wonder of our Wander? Heh... from the last paragraph, I'm feeling a bit guilty.

Oh, and on topic:

Godmodding and bunnying. Don't ruin the RP by being a god or by "hopping" my character around like your private puppet. My character... mine! Grrrrrr...!

I have more, but those two really bite.

Here's another good one. When you're writing a long post in a word processor, get up to grab a bite to eat, come back, and find this.

0A41opz.jpg

Then realizing you live the high life: Fucking with your own writing is the worst of your problems today.

Most of my pet peeves have been named already. I will just name the more recent pet peeves I've discovered.

- Role players getting overly emotional, overly involved, taking the role play overly serious, etc... Hi, welcome to the realm of fiction. Not your personal rant page, or blog. I don't need your antics, drama and emotions here. I do need your character's antics, drama and emotions.

I had a recent case, where someone felt the need to complain: "Oh, my character is such an outcast, everyone is ignoring my character. Just like me in real life. I guess that it doesn't matter where I go, I'll be an outcast anyway."

Not with these exact words, but along these lines. Greatest thing was that the role player did absolutely nothing to interact with others or put the character in action. The character was just sitting there and drawing the whole time.

- Role players showing interest in/ who have a role play, ideas, something else, and then brushing it off with: "Oh, but I feel too intimidated/scared to join." and then they complain how they wanted to join and or put the idea out and stuff, but couldn't because of being intimidated/scared. Makes me rage.

And a not so recent one:

- Role plays who use the rule: 'be literal'. Steering clear away from them all, once I see the rule pop up, no matter how much I like the idea. I hate the rule more than that I love role playing.

Reactions: Mu and Nyxella
I have a lot of fluff in my posts. I hate myself ; ;

One x one pet peeves

Before Rp start:
- A person contacting me about a roleplay idea (or they just wants to brainstorm or come with pairing ideas) they have and it's obvious that they haven't cared to look at my RP resume to see what I like or to check the important notes I have in the random notes. If my RP resume is too long for you to care to read through, then we're probably not compatible as partners. Come back when you know my requirements.

- People who doesn't read the partner request they've replied to and doesn't fit the requirements. If you had read the requirements from the beginning, you wouldn't have to read the plot and become disappointed that you can't play it with me xb I have requirements because that's the kind of RPs I enjoy the most and is more likely to stay with until the end. Trying to make me RP with you anyways will only result in a dead RP because I will get bored, which is clearly explained in the requirements. I've been down that route before.

- "Oh I wanna roleplay with you, but I can't because of x"... Why did you even reply to my partner request thread then? Sometimes it's definitely to make me feel guilty cause I want at least 3 paragraphs and they want to make me lower my bar. Nope, not gonna work. I don't roleplay for a strangers enjoyment, I roleplay for my own entertainment. (YES, I'm a horribly selfish person. #Sorrynotsorry.) Hopefully I will also get partners who can enjoy my style and already possesses the styles I require so that they also can enjoy our roleplay. If our styles doesn't match, then there will most likely be at least one person not enjoying the RP in the end, and one of us will drop it, thus it will die. I've been down this road so many times. Stop trying to guilt trip me.

Then there's the odd once like "I wanna join :D Oh wait, you're a staffer? Okay, never mind o.O." What was the point of that post exactly? Even when I write that it's okay, we can do something together, they still don't reply. >_> Congratz, you got my attention, and now you're just leaving? For good? ... Okay... Goodbye then. o__O -Le confused me sits in le corner confused.. le?-

In game:

- Constant one liners. It's not only boring to read one line of text that takes a second to get through, it is also incredibly boring to reply to it within less than thirty seconds. I can't get into character with that amount, and I won't get to know your character, except for the things they've said with words, which might or might not be a lie. I am the type that loves to get into both my characters and my partner's characters minds, thus their emotions and thoughts are important. It might not be important for my character since they won't know what's going on inside the other character's head, but I will know, and it makes things more interesting for me. As a write, I want to write what's on my character's mind, and as a reader I want to know what the other main character is thinking about.

- 1st person IC posts. While I like it in books, sometimes more than 3rd person, I can't stand it when it comes to roleplays. Probably because I only write in 3rd person (I just can't write in 1st person, it has never worked for me), and if my partner writes in 1st person, the styles doesn't fit together at all. I can't change from reading in 1st person to writing in 3rd person that quickly. My brain gets confused D:

- Partner moving my character without having asked or even considered what my character actually would do. No. Don't touch my character I: If you wanna move him/her to help with your post, ask me first what that character would do if this or that happened and I will tell you how he/she would move. It just takes one PM to ask.

- Inconsistency. When you have written in a post that it is evening, and your partner suddenly writes that it is morning.... Are we in the same roleplay? It won't disturb me much if it happens once or are extremely small details in a long post, but if it goes on constantly and happens with big important stuff, it will become incredibly annoying I: (and require lots of editing)

Group roleplay pet peeves

GM pet peeves:

- People who doesn't read the plot or the character sheet properly. I do understand a few small mistakes, and sometimes I have been unclear about certain things, which I immediately correct upon noticing it and apologize for, but when the CS says "X CS", is meant for a specific purpose and has strict instructions on every part for what's allowed (how old the character can be for example), don't go making a human or non human whose mere existence breaks the rules of that specific CS. Don't use a CS, that is created specifically for a certain purpose, for something completely different. It won't work. You need your own CS created specifically for that type of thing. If it's not a 'general CS' created to fit any kind of character, you can't use it as that. I:

Is it sad that 4 out of 8 of my pet peeves has to do with not reading something properly? This is an RP site created for reading and writing after all, and these pet peeves has happened to me AT LEAST once, usually more. o.O Is it that hard to read? D: ... DON'T ANSWER THAT BROVO!!!

Then there's the odd once like "I wanna join :D Oh wait, you're a staffer? Okay, never mind o.O."
People do this? o.O
People are weird...

Reactions: Mu
People do this? o.O
People are weird...
I can vouch for this. Though I don't usually reply to the thread.

There's a certain.. Taboo? Associated with involvement with a staffer. Taken from previous experience anyway, every time is different. Maybe some people (like myself) worry they'll garner a hint of favoritism by being in RPs with Staff. It's a silly notion, I know.

I can vouch for this. Though I don't usually reply to the thread.

There's a certain.. Taboo? Associated with involvement with a staffer. Taken from previous experience anyway, every time is different. Maybe some people (like myself) worry they'll garner a hint of favoritism by being in RPs with Staff. It's a silly notion, I know.
I guess.

I might just find it odd because I used to be an RP site admin myself.
So the idea of shying away from someone for being is staff is just "Say what now?".

I guess.

I might just find it odd because I used to be an RP site admin myself.
So the idea of shying away from someone for being is staff is just "Say what now?".
Everyone's different. Personally I'm just intimidated by it.

Here's a new one: Character theme songs. A quick chat with an old WoW guildie reminded me of this in peoples MRP or TRP2 profiles with a link to a YouTube video. Half the time it was Green Day or Linkin Park. It's just.. Give them something fitting to the setting? NUMB and Breaking the Habit just don't seem to fit an angsty hundred year old Night Elf hunter.

Reactions: Dervish
I haven't done more than skim a few posts here, so expect repeats. It's gonna be a long list though, so there might be something new and exciting there too, who knows. There will also be cursing, because I like cursing, so now you are forewarned.

-People who violate the obvious rules that are usually stated in the rule list of every roleplay: godmoding, auto-hitting, hijacking, metagaming, etc. Super obvious one, but worth listing.

-People who drop from a roleplay without saying anything. This is especially annoying when they're clearly still active on the site, so you know it's just the one roleplay they're trying to slow fade out of. Just fucking say something in the OOC instead of being a little shit, seriously. If they're worried about people thinking poorly about them dropping out, I can guarantee that they're gonna get a whole lot more hate for the silent drop that might stall out the roleplay and cause it to die instead of just shedding a member and moving on. Ugh.

-People who express interest in a roleplay and talk about making a character for a month or more, maybe even getting so far as posting a barebones sheet, but never actually put anything up. Shit or get off the toilet, seriously. If you can't manage to work up a basic CS in a couple weeks then you either don't have the free time to be joining a new roleplay or you're not actually interested enough to put for the effort, so just drop out and leave. Doubly aggravating in roleplays with player limits where this kind of person uselessly takes up one of the slots that could otherwise be filled by someone who'll actually make a character.

-People who join a roleplay with a clearly listed minimum posting length and writing skill expectation, then proceed to fail to meet them. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that their reading comprehension is also shoddy, but seriously, most of these requirements are things like "one paragraph minimum, be coherent, and move the plot or action forward with your posts." That's real minimal stuff, so when people join such games and then post confusing one liners that do nothing I get rather irate.

-People who have problems marking the difference between player and character. Holy fuck, the amount of stupid drama I've seen come from this... I've had a few times when I played an asshole character that was rude to another player's character, because durr he's an asshole, and then I got a private message from that player chewing me out about the personal attack and insults I supposedly gave them by doing that. Just fucking ridiculous. Oh, and then there are all those sad cases of people taking roleplayed romance or intimacy to mean some kind of real connection between the two players. I saw a looooooooot of this back when I was roleplaying in the MMO World of Warcraft, in which I was involved in the smutty roleplaying community of one RP server. Hearing about someone getting all creepy and pushy and stalkery because they apparently thought there was more going on than two characters mashing their pixels together via text simulation was a once a month minimum, sometimes multiple times a week, event in the community. Maybe it all comes down to people making self insert characters and confusing themselves, I dunno. Whatever the cause, it's weird and I wish it would stop.

-People who have a small number of characters they make over and over and forcefully shove into every roleplay they join. That "forcefully shove" part is important here. I've seen people play the same few characters over and over with no problems, but there are some out there who insist on keeping their character exactly as conceived in the void of Imaginationland without making any alterations to suit the world. This can range from small inconsistencies like their character history mentioning something that doesn't exist in the world, to middling problems like the character being well educated and multi-lingual despite the premise of the RP being about peasants or similar types going off on adventure, to major things like that character being some race (almost always one of those furry anthropomorphized animal things, in my experience) that doesn't exist in the world. The type of people who piss me off are the ones who try to force that stuff into the roleplay instead of altering their character to fit. Look, I get that you're a special snowflake and that your character is also a special snowflake, but if they don't fit in the fucking world then they don't fit in the fucking world. Either change it or don't join. Seriously.

-People who play the same personality and archetype of character over and over and over again... and suck at it. I don't mind the ones who are good at it, but the people who do things like play charming thief guys all the time but couldn't charm their way out of a wet paper bag and try only the dumbest of ways to steal things? Try something new, please.

-People who don't understand how roleplaying works and stall scenes out by failing to provide any action or dialogue for others to use. This is roleplaying 101 level stuff: GM provides a scene with some form of action to start things off, Character A responds to that and does some action, Character B responds to the preceding things and performs an action, Character C does the same, so on and so forth. Then you get Character Derp who comes in and screws it up by ignoring those previous things and perhaps failing to perform any kind of action. Maybe they'll just walk in and stand there wondering what's going on, or maybe they'll come in an attack some guy who Character B already attacked, or maybe they'll come in and make some inaccurate remark about what's going on and then stand there waiting for someone to respond to their useless bit of speech. Whatever form it may take, these people are a primary cause of roleplays stalling and dying, and for that I dislike them.

-People who fail at grammar. I am, in fact, a Grammar Nazi at heart. Many things annoy the fuck out of me in this regard. A short list of these offenses include: people who swap between first and third person, people who mix up those homophones that you get drilled into your head in elementary school, people who don't know how to properly use apostrophes, people who abuse commas, people who try to use semicolons despite clearly having no idea what they're going, people who can't spell worth a damn, and people whose sentences look like they were built by translating a real sentence back and forth a few times between other languages via Google Translate.

-People who take constructive criticism as a personal attack, especially related to my attempts to help people with the above two peeves. If I point out that your post ignored other actions or didn't do anything useful, it's not the same as saying you're a worthless piece of shit. If I mention that "your" is possessive while "you're" means you are, I'm not pissing in your grandfather's ashes. I've gotten so annoyed with people acting like these things are horrible insults to their person that now I usually don't bother trying to help people out with roleplaying issues unless they explicitly ask for advice.

-People who put OOC chatter in an IC thread. I don't care if you're using brackets or whatever, we have a fucking thread for that stuff.

-People who spam OOC threads with totally irrelevant nonsense. Don't get me wrong, I love chatting with other players and having a good time, and I'm not at all one of those people who think the talk should only be relevant to the roleplay. I'm talking about people who do things like throw up a bunch of links to songs they're listening to lately, or to random goofy websites, or randomly bring up some controversial news story. If a convo with other players happen to wind around to music or funny things or whatever other topic, okay, cool, whatever. Just dropped it at random in the thread though? Fuck off, go make a thread in General Chatting (or the similar applicable section of other forums).

-People who are huge drama queens in the OOC thread. Just.. no.

-People who double or triple (or more) post on purpose. If it's the IC thread and it's all for one character, why? Just put it all in one post. If it's in the IC thread and it's for multiple characters, again, why? Just add some kind of heading deal for each character to indicate which part belongs to which character and to separate them, put the things together in one post, and put it up like that. Using multiple posts is far more annoying than having one massive post. If it's the OOC thread, ain't no good reason for that unless you're the GM reserving posts at the start of the thread for organizational purposes, so make use of that damned edit button if you have more to say.

-People who make painfully dumb posts (IC or OOC) while under the influence of booze or drugs or whilst sleep deprived, then later giving that excuse as if that makes it okay and there should be no problems because of it. Also, people who do really dumb shit and then later use one of the above things as an lying excuse, and also expecting that to make everything okay. Hard to tell whether the real deal or the excuse making version is more common, but I've seen this happen a lot, especially in off-topic sections of forums. Sorry, being intoxicated or tired doesn't absolve you of responsibility for your actions. Next time think before you type, or stay away from your computer when you can't trust yourself to not be an idiot.

-Characters with a grossly unrealistic suite of mental illnesses. I've seen people with multiple depressive disorders and multiple psychotic disorders and a handful of others thrown in for fun. No psychologist would diagnose someone with a fucking alphabet soup of disorders, especially not multiples from the same category, and anyone with that number of disorders would be a non-functioning mess. It's just ridiculous and shows that these people have no idea how any of this works. Bonus rage points for characters with a laundry list of disorders that can somehow function like a normal person with only tiny behavioral quirks as manifestations of their disorders. Double bonus rage points for characters with tons of disorders that outwardly show absolutely zero sign of being a mess despite their thoughts being off the wall crazy.

-Characters that are listed as being "bipolar" or "insane" and have that manifest as an instant 180 degree turn from normal person to bloodlust incarnate. Like.. have you ever seen a bipolar person? Have you ever read a description of the disorder? Are you not aware that "insanity" is now only used in legal contexts in the United States, ont at all in reputable medical contexts because it's a useless and misleading term. Please stop.

-Okay, fuck it, just characters that misrepresent mental illness in general. I could go through a huge list of them and explain how people are dumb about them one by one, but I'll just stop myself here instead.

-Characters that have a bunch of quirks instead of real flaws. These characters generally tread into Mary Sue territory, but this particular form of them is awful because people have this illusions that their character has real flaws because omg look at their list of flaws!!! No, sorry, compulsive hand washing and having test anxiety don't work as flaws to balance out your character's unmatched skills in a couple sports and some language and the fact their they're super hot and popular and so on. Being a dick and a bit of a kleptomaniac doesn't balance out super powerful magic and combat skills. Character flaws are there to give your character weak points and make them more dynamic. Replacing them with quirks makes your character an overpowered and boring mess.

-Characters that have tons of quirks just to try to be interesting. If you need to give your character a bunch of dumb little habits in order to not make them boring, I have some bad news for you: they're probably going to still be boring, at best you might make them annoying as well, and if I wanted to see an annoying quirky pile of garbage I'd just go watch something Zooey Deschanel stars in. I've seen people with a list of quirks longer than the rest of their character bio. They were all terrible boring characters that didn't contribute anything meaningful to the roleplay, just posts with a bunch of pointless little mannerisms thrown in to make them special and unique. Sorry kiddo, twitching a bit and picking your nose when you think nobody is looking and having to fold your socks in a specific way doesn't make your bland character any less bland. Try a real personality next time.

-Characters with a super tragic history that just angst around the place all the time. Now, I make use of the tragic backstory trope a lot (largely because I like killing off my characters' families so I don't have to deal with them being a factor), but you don't need to make sadness and angst the entire being of a damned character. That's one dimensional and boring. It always feels to me like the person set out to make their character, started with the tragedy, then decided that they had to be sad for the rest of their life. I'll grant that some people in reality do indeed end up being depressed wrecks for the rest of their lives after major trauma like that, but come on, why in the fuck would you make a roleplay character like that? How would someone who is just a mopey sad sack actually work up the motivation to join the epic quest or whatever? Why would you make some brooding loner character in a thing where character interaction is vital to the game staying alive? They hit the trifecta of having a boring, annoying, AND useless character. Ugh.

-Characters with strange names (typically Japanese) that don't at all fit the setting of the RP. I get that you love anime and all, but seriously, if you're playing in a fantasy version of medieval England then you should probably give your character an appropriate name. This earns double rage points if their character is not a foreigner but has this name anyway.

Okay, that's probably enough out of me for now, even though it's by no means an all inclusive list of RP things that annoy me. Despite my laid back appearance, I'm actually a boiling cauldron of rage. 8D

Everyone's different. Personally I'm just intimidated by it.

Here's a new one: Character theme songs. A quick chat with an old WoW guildie reminded me of this in peoples MRP or TRP2 profiles with a link to a YouTube video. Half the time it was Green Day or Linkin Park. It's just.. Give them something fitting to the setting? NUMB and Breaking the Habit just don't seem to fit an angsty hundred year old Night Elf hunter.
Agreed about the whole theme song thing. People just pick songs they like instead of something that actually fits the character, which in itself is often a Herculean task for something that probably like, one other person is going to bother to listen to.

I came across a Mass Effect RP a while ago where this really annoying character fucking started "singing" the lyrics to "21 Guns" by Green Day. Given that this character was an alien and this game was in the 2180s, it was wildly out of context.

Agreed about the whole theme song thing. People just pick songs they like instead of something that actually fits the character, which in itself is often a Herculean task for something that probably like, one other person is going to bother to listen to.

I came across a Mass Effect RP a while ago where this really annoying character fucking started "singing" the lyrics to "21 Guns" by Green Day. Given that this character was an alien and this game was in the 2180s, it was wildly out of context.
"Shit, man. Don't you know early 20th century style is like.. Back in style!?"
Says the -Insert ME Race- while wearing jeans, mismatched converse, and a Marty McFly jacket with an iPod.
"This thing only holds TWO THOUSAND SONGS! CRAZY, RIGHT?"

Something something alien hipster.

Wait, some RP's have characters pick theme songs? o.O
I've never ran into this before.
That... I don't even...
Did they at least dance like this?

Reactions: Windsong
"Shit, man. Don't you know early 20th century style is like.. Back in style!?"
Says the -Insert ME Race- while wearing jeans, mismatched converse, and a Marty McFly jacket with an iPod.
"This thing only holds TWO THOUSAND SONGS! CRAZY, RIGHT?"

Something something alien hipster.
It was almost worse than that. The character was an Uber Sue who apparently had an accredited engineering degree on Omega (read; a place that doesn't really have formal education on account of it being a haven of outlaws on an asteroid mining colony that's renown for being a violent, unforgiving shithole of a place) after only 4 years (total) of education after being freed from slavery by proving herself in the fighting pits. She was also apparently one of those tropey violent psychopaths that is just giddy and childish all the time where killing is just a fun, hilarious game that has no consequences.

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't see the sign up until after I saw that character was accepted. I fucking dodged a shuriken up the rectum.

Which brings me to a peeve I have, when I'm GMing and doing sign ups where I have to go through the various applications, I'll often critique every applicant's sheet and let them know if anything needs to change to better fit the setting and lore, or if there's something that needs to be elaborated on, doesn't make sense, or just plain isn't believable, even if you stretch the imagination a bit. Most players are more than happy to listen to what I'm saying, make the appropriate edits, and away we go! The result is a character that's better suited for the roleplay while retaining the player's vision for them and making sure that everybody's on the same page out of the gate. I rarely have friction with characters and players after we start, which is really a testament to how much effort and enthusiasm players can put into roleplaying and supporting an idea. Games wouldn't work if players didn't believe in the GM's direction, so whenever I have something that lasts a good long while, it's because I found a good group of players and I'm super thankful for that.

Others, however, are either really aggressively defensive about their sheets and being told that it doesn't fit the game for whatever reason, and will start going into personal attacks over it, turning the OOC into a flamefest because they don't seem to get that they're applying to a game and the GM's word is law, but they somehow think that constructive criticism is a bad thing. As a GM, I pretty much need feedback and to have people let me know if they aren't liking something, or think that the direction I'm going isn't working out as well as I'd hoped. I've run into some people who pretty much think that their character sheets are works of art and that they should be able to just plug it in anywhere and be fine. I don't mind people reusing characters from other games, but you need to make it fit the setting.

Other character sheets are pretty much either the result of inexperience or lack of effort, but they don't even remotely come close to meeting the standards outlined in the first post, and part of the reason I ask for a bit of a backstory for character submissions is that it gives me an idea of what kind of writer a person is. I'm not going to accept a character that seems to rely on anime physics in a more grounded setting, for instance, and red flags start going up when there's no personality with your character, and they just seem to be badass for the sake of being badass with dead parents all up in this bitch for pre-canned drama just in case you run into a point where the rock of a personality needs to act upset. Oh, you want to be a dragon werewolf hybrid? Move along, please. How exactly does your character keep dying and resurrecting themselves like Kenny from South Park in a setting where resurrection isn't really a thing? This is a high fantasy setting that's not based on Earth and has established religion, why does your character carry a giant cross for a weapon, and how the fuck does an atheist paladin make any sense? Those are all things I've seen at one point or another, and it's goddamn awful.

The thing is, all I'm looking for is a good show of effort and a willingness to compromise and I've happily taken on players who lack experience roleplaying and thought that the game was above their standards, and they tried anyways, and with time, they flourished. I love to help people bring their ideas to life. Roleplaying isn't super serious business, and in a lot of ways, it involves bending realism to make things fun. You might go in the door with a generic character without a lot making them stand out, but I hope to work with you to really make that character become somebody unique and memorable as they game goes on. Both parties just need to be able to show they're willing to meet each other's expectations, it's a mutual respect.

And another somewhat related point that I'm all but certain somebody else brought up for a peeve, and that's when somebody applies to a game with a character sheet that not fit the skeleton of the application sheet and it's clear it was copy/ pasted from another game and it's clear that the person didn't even read the OOC, they just saw it was a fandom (or whatever) they liked and figured one size fits all. When you start making references to events that haven't happened yet canonically, and you make indications your character is going to start somewhere COMPLETELY unrelated to where the game's taking place, you are an asshole.

Status
Not open for further replies.