Roleplaying Pet Peeves

Do you have a roleplaying pet peeve?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really have specific pet peeves... This is hard... Maybe bad grammar and spelling? But once you tell them to fix it and they do, I stop being annoyed. >_> I don't really know, I feel guilty if I get annoyed about something when I also make my own mistakes.

Oh! I have one:

Overly long and dramatic character names that really make no sense at all. Don't give me a reminder of Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way. And naming your Japanese character 'Bob' or any such thing like Brovo said. Unless your character isn't actually full Japanese, which gives it some credibility. It would still sound somewhat iffy to me, though.

Reactions: Mu and Gwazi Magnum
charge 15 feet to cut at them with your katana
To be fair, if he needs to bring the firearm up on aim and ready it, don't know why it wouldn't be cocked in a battle scenario but let's just ignore that, 15 feet is actually a plausible charge distance? Might be pushing, but it wouldn't be impossible.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
To be fair, if he needs to bring the firearm up on aim and ready it, don't know why it wouldn't be cocked in a battle scenario but let's just ignore that, 15 feet is actually a plausible charge distance? Might be pushing, but it wouldn't be impossible.
The rule is ten feet actually.

Police officers follow that (unofficial) rule: if someone's more than ten feet away that's enough time for an officer to draw, aim, and discharge his weapon in the case of a melee weapon.

On topic: completely over the top actions when in combat or cutting people down. It's silly filler. Usually not called for. And almost never handled in a pleasing to read way.

Reactions: Brovo
As a GM, a player and a 1x1 partner I cannot stand loner characters. They drive me nuts, especially when paired with people who make passive aggressive statements OOC about it, or make a point of having them sigh heavily IC in a not so subtle hint. They march their characters away from the action, maybe trying to give it a veneer of being in character and then get pissed when no one leaves the interaction to coax them back into the group. I always make a nicely bolded "no loners" rule in my RPs and yet I always seem to get them.

When people cant understand your post, all because you wrote one word incorrectly. Like boarding a ship. I wrote bored and they were confused. So you then have to re write it, so they can understand you meant board and not bored. That really irks me.

• Love
Reactions: K3l and Brovo
Not really. Let this video give you an idea how quickly someone trained can react:

Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way

Don't think I didn't get that reference because I DID :D

And now that reminds me of something: When people keep misspelling things that they're expected to, oh I don't know, not screw up at? If you can't spell out some key words necessary for the roleplay, character names, OR YOUR OWN CHARACTER'S NAME, don't expect me to stick around for long.

When people put semicolons at the end of every other sentence just because they think it makes them seem smarter when THOSE THINGS ARE PRACTICALLY USELESS and you kinda look like a tool when you use them every few posts/paragraphs/sentences. Like, yes, I know you know what a semicolon is and have a... tenuous grasp on how it works, but I don't need you to prove it to me all the damn time.

Reactions: Brovo and Hana
Highly unlikely, but just for the benefit of the doubt, the average human running speed is around 17-18 feet per second. So, speaking to realistic human reaction times...
  • A. Katana Lad manages to catch Nazi by surprise, and the Nazi both has to turn to face Katana Lad and raise his rifle before he can fire. (He may also end up hesitating to begin with.) In this scenario, Katana Lad might be able to close the gap in time to kill him, assuming Katana Lad can break out into a run instantly and not over the course of a couple seconds like most human beings. This is the most plausible way for it to work, and it would still require either the Nazi being incompetent/poorly trained, or Katana Lad already running at his target starting at 15 feet away/having superhuman speed.
  • B. Katana Lad charges at the unprepared Nazi head-on. Think of the time frame: The Nazi only has to raise his rifle and squeeze the trigger in the time it takes Katana Lad to move a minimum of 13 feet and then swing his blade towards his target or thrust it towards his target. The Nazi will win this engagement nine times out of ten, no problem. If the Nazi had to pull out a hand gun instead of raising a rifle, Katana Lad might have a bit better of a chance at success, but only a bit.
  • C. Katana Lad charges at the prepared Nazi head-on. Katana Lad is about to win a Darwin Award, presented by about half a dozen pieces of lead.
  • D. (For fun) Katana Lad is falling at terminal velocity towards his target. From 15 feet, he would hit his target before it could react. He would, of course, also be dead, but that does pretty much guarantee that there's one less Nazi in the world.
So in certain, specific circumstances, there might be a chance that Katana Lad can win. These circumstances however are fairly extreme and generally require a skill disparity between Katana Lad (expert) and target (guy who only learned how triggers worked yesterday). :ferret:

However, don't let that deter you. If you're in a setting with magic or technology sufficiently advanced that it may as well be magic, you can probably find a way to even the odds. Speaking totally practically though? No. Katana Lad is brave, but there's a reason the Japanese Kamikaze tactics of World War 2 led largely, only to their own deaths, and was an accepted form of military suicide.

Now, for even more! Just to keep this topic on point.
  1. When someone's character espouses modern democratic/capitalist doctrine in a medieval fantasy setting? This is a pet peeve. This counts. It hurts my inner history nerd. :(
  2. Speaking of medieval fantasy settings: Everyone knows how to read and write, do arithmetic, and so on, even if they've never received a single day of education in their lives. Doubly so if they're systematically impoverished, like a serf or a peasant.
  3. Irreligious characters in a setting where Gods and Goddesses blatantly can and do exist. Your atheism is nice, I'm an atheist too, but when you can't disassociate it from your characters living in a different world? That is annoying.
  4. Weapons never, ever breaking, and essentially being indestructible. Such as swords being used to break down metal doors, or firearms surviving massive explosions, or falls of several hundred feet. Doubly so if said weapon is specifically delicate, like a katana, a rapier, or an arquebus.
  5. Scars that make you look pretty or handsome are a pet peeve. Just get a tattoo or something. :ferret:

• Love
Reactions: Windsong and Hana
As a GM, a player and a 1x1 partner I cannot stand loner characters. They drive me nuts, especially when paired with people who make passive aggressive statements OOC about it, or make a point of having them sigh heavily IC in a not so subtle hint. They march their characters away from the action, maybe trying to give it a veneer of being in character and then get pissed when no one leaves the interaction to coax them back into the group. I always make a nicely bolded "no loners" rule in my RPs and yet I always seem to get them.

And that is the point when I call them out in the OOC and say that it's their fault that no one is interacting with them. Don't want to be ignored? Stop being a loner.

The rule is ten feet actually.

Police officers follow that (unofficial) rule: if someone's more than ten feet away that's enough time for an officer to draw, aim, and discharge his weapon in the case of a melee weapon.

On topic: completely over the top actions when in combat or cutting people down. It's silly filler. Usually not called for. And almost never handled in a pleasing to read way.
Going off the Tueller test, and 10 feet seems way too short.
  • A. Katana Lad manages to catch Nazi by surprise, and the Nazi both has to turn to face Katana Lad and raise his rifle before he can fire. (He may also end up hesitating to begin with.) In this scenario, Katana Lad might be able to close the gap in time to kill him, assuming Katana Lad can break out into a run instantly and not over the course of a couple seconds like most human beings. This is the most plausible way for it to work, and it would still require either the Nazi being incompetent/poorly trained, or Katana Lad already running at his target starting at 15 feet away/having superhuman speed.
Well I did mention that the Nazi would have to bring up the weapon on aim and ready it for the situation to be plausible, otherwise if it's simply up and shoot you're character's fucked unless they're super human.

But yes, in the most likely scenarios firearms > melee weapons.

Reactions: Hana and Brovo
Since it hasn't been said yet, people who just don't appear to have actually read your post who respond anyway.

Bonus points if they also refuse to edit after you mention a critical detail they left out.

Since it hasn't been said yet, people who just don't appear to have actually read your post who respond anyway.
Oh I know those people. Or the ones that read your post, but feel as though you somehow allowed them to have control of your character for their post. Like no you cant control my guy being hit by something. Bad rper, bad!

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
And that is the point when I call them out in the OOC and say that it's their fault that no one is interacting with them. Don't want to be ignored? Stop being a loner.
Oh man, I did that once and the player basically said it was everyone else's fault for making his character a loner. Let me see if I can get the quote right "A loner does not himself make." He was asked to leave after insulting everyone else in the RP. We didn't even bother to write his character out since he'd pretty much done nothing with anyone. Lots of getting upset and storming off to sulk and be hurt.

Bonus points if they also refuse to edit after you mention a critical detail they left out.
How about people that ignore actions in your post?
Welcome to being a GM 101. Half or your questions will be about the plot & premise nobody read. The other half will be about the IC post nobody understood in clear, plain English. :ferret:

Reactions: Ottriman
I remember in one RP a person made a character whose very first was basically "I turn on my computer and play video games".
Completely expected other people to barge in their room randomly and say hi.

This character never made it past said first post.

Reactions: Mu and Isho13
Welcome to being a GM 101. Half or your questions will be about the plot & premise nobody read. The other half will be about the IC post nobody understood in clear, plain English. :ferret:
Trust me, I'm well aware. The good news is that I like talking about my own plot.

Oh man, I did that once and the player basically said it was everyone else's fault for making his character a loner. Let me see if I can get the quote right "A loner does not himself make." He was asked to leave after insulting everyone else in the RP. We didn't even bother to write his character out since he'd pretty much done nothing with anyone. Lots of getting upset and storming off to sulk and be hurt.

If a player is willing to throw a hissy fit that quickly, I wouldn't want them in my RP, anyway.

Trust me, I'm well aware. The good news is that I like talking about my own plot.
Our saving grace: We're both egotists. :ferret:

Here's my favourite about Romance: Yes, yes it is creepy that your character is groping mine without consent. No, love does not mean constantly sharing your every waking thought and emotion. In fact, if the only thing your character can ever think about is mine, that's called a psychotic obsession. Please stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.