Roleplayer Guild - Homeless: Will Roleplay for Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started off on RPGuild, so I think I'll stay.
I can juggle two forums at once.

People are still on RPG? I couldn't get back into it after it went down the first time. I tried, but it just wasn't the same. I lost nearly all my decent partners, and none of them returned. ; ;
We even tried to rebuild the Spam section and did a decent enough job but we could not put up with it for long.

Nope yesterday I checked and it said the same thing the site was down.
It wasn't continuous. I've been online in the past 24 hours. It has been down rather frequently lately, but not for more than 24 hours straight. I suppose you've just been checking at unlucky times.

People are still on RPG?

Yes. People are still on RPG. Just because a good handful of people left doesn't mean every single member abandoned ship, letting it become a complete ghost town... In fact, numbers have probably only been increasing since it first came back up. If nothing else, it would explain all the recent downtime - the servers probably just can't handle the increasing activity.

Reactions: Queenslayer
RPG does seem to be having more server issues lately, but I expect it's because traffic is higher than usual as of late. Lots of people are on holiday breaks/vacations, which I'm sure is a sizable contributor to the problem(s).

That said, I can understand the general frustration. (It does make getting things done somewhat difficult.)

RPG does seem to be having more server issues lately, but I expect it's because traffic is higher than usual as of late. Lots of people are on holiday breaks/vacations, which I'm sure is a sizable contributor to the problem(s).

That said, I can understand the general frustration. (It does make getting things done somewhat difficult.)
I usually load up IC thread pages when the Guild is up, and then leave them there (without refreshing) into the downtime hours. That way, if I want to write an IC post, I can do so on Word or something with the IC threads available as reference. Then, once the site is back up, I can just copy/paste my post into the submission box on the actual site.

I figured I'd throw that out there in case anyone wants to make use of it.

Yeah It probably is the Holidays thats making the servers crazy

Yes. People are still on RPG. Just because a good handful of people left doesn't mean every single member abandoned ship, letting it become a complete ghost town... In fact, numbers have probably only been increasing since it first came back up. If nothing else, it would explain all the recent downtime - the servers probably just can't handle the increasing activity.
I'm not complaining about it. Honestly, I just couldn't get back into it after the crash happened and everything was wiped out. The people that were the reason I came back afterwards never returned, and there really wasn't much of a point for me to stick around.

I stopped caring when Mahz did.

Much happier with Iwaku. :)
You know, it's really not Mahz's fault. He already very clearly explained why, and he seemed pretty sorry about the whole forum getting wiped thing. At least be bothered to code a new website from scratch in an attempt to make up for it.

Like, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with moving to Iwaku. If you're happier here then that's great. But don't act like Mahz didn't care. Especially given all the money he's had to pour into the site just to keep it going ever since it was first launched, all without him really getting any benefit from it being around.

You know, it's really not Mahz's fault. He already very clearly explained why, and he seemed pretty sorry about the whole forum getting wiped thing. At least be bothered to code a new website from scratch in an attempt to make up for it.

Like, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with moving to Iwaku. If you're happier here then that's great. But don't act like Mahz didn't care. Especially given all the money he's had to pour into the site just to keep it going ever since it was first launched, all without him really getting any benefit from it being around.
No, the site's breakdown wasn't his fault. I stuck around. I stood up for him. I was there.
He cared once upon a time.

But he has stopped caring. Keeping the site running is mainly out of habit now. I grew tired of hearing, "I'll do it tomorrow," for weeks. You can stick up for him all that you want, but I won't do it anymore.

No, the site's breakdown wasn't his fault. I stuck around. I stood up for him. I was there.
He cared once upon a time.

But he has stopped caring. Keeping the site running is mainly out of habit now. I grew tired of hearing, "I'll do it tomorrow," for weeks. You can stick up for him all that you want, but I won't do it anymore.
I don't know if it's apathy, a grinding feeling that the community he's worked hard to keep going is ungrateful, or the fact his personal life has made him decide RPG wasn't a big priority in his life anymore, but I do have a distinct feeling Mahz isn't really proactive with it anymore and keeps putting it off. Considering he's kind of getting the George Lucas treatment by his community (e.g. backlash for choices/ lack there of made for something he created), I can't say I'd blame him if he just kind of gave up on the forum and is slowly washing his hands of it.

Either way, I respect the guy and the foundation he gave us all, and if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have made the awesome friends I did and had such a fantastic return to roleplaying. Iwaku's my new home base and I really hope I blend in with you lovely people here and get some fantastic games going, so don't worry; I'm not just here because a bunch of my friends came. I scoped this place out for a few days before making up my mind and deciding the community seemed active, friendly, and the layout was great. If Iwaku wasn't brilliant to begin with, I wouldn't have signed up and decided to make over 300 posts since I came here. So, thank you guys. You rock.

I don't know if it's apathy, a grinding feeling that the community he's worked hard to keep going is ungrateful, or the fact his personal life has made him decide RPG wasn't a big priority in his life anymore, but I do have a distinct feeling Mahz isn't really proactive with it anymore and keeps putting it off. Considering he's kind of getting the George Lucas treatment by his community (e.g. backlash for choices/ lack there of made for something he created), I can't say I'd blame him if he just kind of gave up on the forum and is slowly washing his hands of it.

Either way, I respect the guy and the foundation he gave us all, and if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have made the awesome friends I did and had such a fantastic return to roleplaying. Iwaku's my new home base and I really hope I blend in with you lovely people here and get some fantastic games going, so don't worry; I'm not just here because a bunch of my friends came. I scoped this place out for a few days before making up my mind and deciding the community seemed active, friendly, and the layout was great. If Iwaku wasn't brilliant to begin with, I wouldn't have signed up and decided to make over 300 posts since I came here. So, thank you guys. You rock.
I think it's more of a RL-thing that has pulled him away. And I'm glad of it! The man couldn't run the site forever. But it's come to the point where he needs to let it go. Use that money for something else instead of something you're no longer passionate about.

At least, that's my opinion on it.

And amen to that. It's coming on 8 years since I made my account on RPG. I've grown a lot from it and discovered a lot about myself through it. I'm not ungrateful in any means, so don't misunderstand me. I just think that, like you said, he's washing his hands of it. And he just needs to quit dragging it out.

I think it's more of a RL-thing that has pulled him away. And I'm glad of it! The man couldn't run the site forever. But it's come to the point where he needs to let it go. Use that money for something else instead of something you're no longer passionate about.

At least, that's my opinion on it.

And amen to that. It's coming on 8 years since I made my account on RPG. I've grown a lot from it and discovered a lot about myself through it. I'm not ungrateful in any means, so don't misunderstand me. I just think that, like you said, he's washing his hands of it. And he just needs to quit dragging it out.
This reminds me I should archive my nearly 3 year running RP on that site before it dies for good.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
People are still on RPG? I couldn't get back into it after it went down the first time. I tried, but it just wasn't the same. I lost nearly all my decent partners, and none of them returned. ; ;
Of course there are. Didn't you see that whole big hubbub about the "great migration" that Brovo sparked? That wouldn't have happened if not for RPG still having a population. :P

I would argue that he did care up through rebuilding the site and for some months afterwards, but since around the end of summer it has felt very much like he doesn't give a shit. It's all those repeatedly stated and repeatedly unfulfilled promises that lead me (and I presume others) to that conclusion. You can only hear "yeah, of course, I'm gonna do it this weekend!" so many times before you figure the person just doesn't care and isn't going to actually do it, you know? Like how many times did people get promises from him that a Contests subforum would be implemented by a specific date and then it never happened? It's hard to draw any conclusion other than a lack of fucks given. Someone truly passionate about it would find a few minutes here and there to work on things to slowly improve the site, but it seems like since August he hasn't done anything but restart the server to deal with issues that crop up.

Oh boy. I don't like trashing people but there's no way around this: Mahz is simply irresponsible no matter how you look at it and it drove several long time members away.
You know, it's really not Mahz's fault.
Actually yes, it is. I was on that site since 2007 up until a month or two ago where I just snapped and left, I was also a manager of the "Writer of the Month" contest for over two years. Mahz straight up forgot to pay the bill two years running. I'm fairly sure the reason the site got deleted was because the site hosts got pissed off at Mahz for consistently forgetting to pay the bill and always paying late. Instead of doing the rational thing of taking responsibility and using the loyal community to help rebuild the new site he went power hungry and shoved away any notion of logical thinking in favour of mending his bruised ego. Don't believe me?

Repeatedly members of the site offered to help foot the bill, Mahz declined and decided to use his own server. A server which is an unstable, buggy piece of crap that goes down every week and spits HTML errors like watermelon seeds (ex: white screen of doom). People offered to help Mahz with developing the site/paying for actual forum software, Mahz declined so he could give false promises that he's failed to deliver on for over 9-10 months. The moderation staff even is left in the dark about what's going on (@Sherlock Holmes can tell you that. She receives requests for info all the time, gets nothing.) @Jorick was a fellow WOTM manager, he and I asked for the very basic of tools to run a contest--our own section of the forums (a subforum really--takes five minutes to make on any standard forum software as I've experimented with sites before), a moderation account locked to that section of the forums (to ensure we couldn't trollpost other members of the forums via the WOTM mod account), and some way to give very minor incentives, like coloured user titles.

We got absolutely nothing but empty promises. We were then backstabbed so that another member of the forum (who shall not be named) could run the contest. He too was left in the dark to the sheer level that he was incapable of even starting a second version of the contest.

This leaves one of two answers, considering this has been going on for months.

#1: Mahz doesn't give a shit and only upkeeps it out of a sense of responsibility, not because he desires to do so, but refuses to hand power over to people who both know what they're doing and have the passion to build the community. This is insane troll logic. This either means he trusts literally nobody in the community he's been growing for almost a decade, or he's power hungry and doesn't give a shit about people pleading for help as he gives empty promises.

#2: Mahz does give a shit but he's simply too busy with work. This would be acceptable for a month or two--not nearly a year. To disregard a community this long is just straight poisonous. Either he should be responsible enough to hand power to someone who has the time or he should stop getting people's hopes up for something that's not going to happen. Setting up a forum does not take ten fucking months! Not unless you are either an incompetent neanderthal or literally working fourteen hour days and have literally zero time to spend on anything else, which isn't the case, as he has outright stated he's unemployed now.

Ultimately, after eight months of putting up with it, I couldn't take it anymore. The moderators were swamped, there was no administrative presence, the site runs on a potato, the site's software is comprised of the dying screams of orphaned children that @Kadaeux hasn't killed in his laboratories yet, and Mahz is either too incompetent or too callous to care that he's made dozens of false promises about deadlines.

I came here to Iwaku and migrated my RPs with me. You know what I found?

Not one active admin--at least two, possible three. Several moderators, community volunteers, a warm and welcoming community rather than the hostile venomous bile pit that is Spam on RPG.

The RPG I knew and cared for, that I went through high school using, that I joined back in 2007, died late 2013-early 2014. All that's left is the carcass nobody is willing to let go of to just move on.

If you don't believe me on that, believe the fifty or so people who came with me, including @Jorick , @Kadaeux , @Tempest , et cetera. When some of the most long standing members of the community are leaving, that's a sign that site is just a crippled thing that needs to be taken out back behind the barn and put down for everyone's sake.

Oh boy. I don't like trashing people but there's no way around this: Mahz is simply irresponsible no matter how you look at it and it drove several long time members away.

Actually yes, it is. I was on that site since 2007 up until a month or two ago where I just snapped and left, I was also a manager of the "Writer of the Month" contest for over two years. Mahz straight up forgot to pay the bill two years running. I'm fairly sure the reason the site got deleted was because the site hosts got pissed off at Mahz for consistently forgetting to pay the bill and always paying late. Instead of doing the rational thing of taking responsibility and using the loyal community to help rebuild the new site he went power hungry and shoved away any notion of logical thinking in favour of mending his bruised ego. Don't believe me?

Repeatedly members of the site offered to help foot the bill, Mahz declined and decided to use his own server. A server which is an unstable, buggy piece of crap that goes down every week and spits HTML errors like watermelon seeds (ex: white screen of doom). People offered to help Mahz with developing the site/paying for actual forum software, Mahz declined so he could give false promises that he's failed to deliver on for over 9-10 months. The moderation staff even is left in the dark about what's going on (@Sherlock Holmes can tell you that. She receives requests for info all the time, gets nothing.) @Jorick was a fellow WOTM manager, he and I asked for the very basic of tools to run a contest--our own section of the forums (a subforum really--takes five minutes to make on any standard forum software as I've experimented with sites before), a moderation account locked to that section of the forums (to ensure we couldn't trollpost other members of the forums via the WOTM mod account), and some way to give very minor incentives, like coloured user titles.

We got absolutely nothing but empty promises. We were then backstabbed so that another member of the forum (who shall not be named) could run the contest. He too was left in the dark to the sheer level that he was incapable of even starting a second version of the contest.

This leaves one of two answers, considering this has been going on for months.

#1: Mahz doesn't give a shit and only upkeeps it out of a sense of responsibility, not because he desires to do so, but refuses to hand power over to people who both know what they're doing and have the passion to build the community. This is insane troll logic. This either means he trusts literally nobody in the community he's been growing for almost a decade, or he's power hungry and doesn't give a shit about people pleading for help as he gives empty promises.

#2: Mahz does give a shit but he's simply too busy with work. This would be acceptable for a month or two--not nearly a year. To disregard a community this long is just straight poisonous. Either he should be responsible enough to hand power to someone who has the time or he should stop getting people's hopes up for something that's not going to happen. Setting up a forum does not take ten fucking months! Not unless you are either an incompetent neanderthal or literally working fourteen hour days and have literally zero time to spend on anything else, which isn't the case, as he has outright stated he's unemployed now.

Ultimately, after eight months of putting up with it, I couldn't take it anymore. The moderators were swamped, there was no administrative presence, the site runs on a potato, the site's software is comprised of the dying screams of orphaned children that @Kadaeux hasn't killed in his laboratories yet, and Mahz is either too incompetent or too callous to care that he's made dozens of false promises about deadlines.

I came here to Iwaku and migrated my RPs with me. You know what I found?

Not one active admin--at least two, possible three. Several moderators, community volunteers, a warm and welcoming community rather than the hostile venomous bile pit that is Spam on RPG.

The RPG I knew and cared for, that I went through high school using, that I joined back in 2007, died late 2013-early 2014. All that's left is the carcass nobody is willing to let go of to just move on.

If you don't believe me on that, believe the fifty or so people who came with me, including @Jorick , @Kadaeux , @Tempest , et cetera. When some of the most long standing members of the community are leaving, that's a sign that site is just a crippled thing that needs to be taken out back behind the barn and put down for everyone's sake.
QFT

I was a loyal member of the guild for nigh on four years, but the increasing level of instability coupled with the idiotic notion that Mahz could not just run his own server, but do so with his own custom software that had less features than notepad (Only a slight exaggeration).

Add in the poor way they handle staff, the way Lillian basically ended up in charge despite Lillian having less and less time for the guild with her real life projects taking absolute priority.

Defending the guild is understandable, it had a lot of love over the years, I know I gave it plenty, but defending it right now is just using a titanic fallacy (It couldn't possibly sink!) and saying that Mahz isn't at fault is just silly.

Reactions: Pachamac and Brovo
I feel like Mazh gave up because, he knew that when the Old Guild got deleted that he will never get the high numbers back again. I mean the site has been on since early 2000 and it had gained lots of users. Plus, the hours or days spent on the Old Guild were gone forever.

I don't know if I should feel bad from Mazh or not...

Also, there needs to be more NRPers here (the amount on here is sadly low or none at all).

I feel like Mazh gave up because, he knew that when the Old Guild got deleted that he will never get the high numbers back again. I mean the site has been on since early 2000 and it had gained lots of users. Plus, the hours or days spent on the Old Guild were gone forever.

I don't know if I should feel bad from Mazh or not...

Also, there needs to be more NRPers here (the amount on here is sadly low or none at all).

I'm actually about to start a Scifi NRP

"A Solar Concern: The Tale of Seven Suns"

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
I'm from RPG. Luckily, my roleplay and my roleplay partner came over here as well. I love it so far, and in my opinion, the community is a lot more warming. Now that the site is shut down 70% of the time for me, and my roleplay continued over here I have no reason to play over there. Juggling both just isn't an option for me, until the guild gets it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.