1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Romance, Fantasy. Always some kind of non-human involved. (Such a vampires, succubi, incubi, etc.)
Hey there, Iwaku.

I'm a little down in the dumps today. So no crazy-all-caps polls today.
Apparently it's annoying so I apologize to those who I agitated.

My question for you is all about roleplay; what got you into it? Was it a friend who discovered it first and wanted to share their love with you? Or did you stumble across it while browsing the internet one day? Maybe a teacher told you about it as a way to escape from reality? And with that, do you have a story to go along with it?

I started waaaay back in the way on AOL, then on Yahoo! chat rooms. It got a bit weird for me, so I stepped away for a while. Then, my friend Mary Fin introduced me to Gaia and I was there for a long while. Then, when they sold to a corporation and every 2 seconds I was getting spammed with "Hey look here! Buy this!" I walked away and wandered until I found iwaku. I've been happily here ever since.

AS SOMEONE WHO YELLS EVERYTHING I LIKED THE CHAOS ENERGY >:[

For the purposes of this question I say Friend invited me to my first official roleplay 🤔 They werent someone I knew personally, but they were hanging out in the Sailor Moon Universe community, and invited people to come play characters in their Sailor Moon/Sailor Zodiacs roleplay. And that was my first taste of forum based roleplaying. 8D

All Caps polls are fun. But also I'm an Eldritch entity of chaos and darkness, so of course, I approve of such things, hehe. <3

Roleplaying was first introduced to me by my ex. Much of a fuck up as he was, he did manage to do that one thing for me, haha. He brought me to a website where he and some friends would write together. But I wasn't into it as much because at the time, I was like 15 and most of the other roleplayers were adults who preferred to roleplay in the 18+ area of the website. I would write fantasy medieval RPs with my ex and that was really all that was happening, so... I eventually googled "roleplay websites" and found Iwaku, back when it was on Proboards. There I actually found people who would write with me instead of being like "Wait until you're at least 18, then you can get on my level, kiddo" I also did roleplaying on Neopets.com like crazy until they banned me for writing smut.

I simply wanted to write, so i went venturing around the internet on my shitty dial up and eventually found MSN Chats! And started there. Somehow eventually I got my then friend (now husband) to join and we started to write together. Eventually branching over to actual stories which caused me to stop RPing until I was in my twenties after someone on my old dA wanted to try rping.

Eventually I joined up with Iwaku and Realms of Hyrule. And now I am only on Iwaku since it scratches all the right itches!

My brother explained to me poorly what roleplay servers on World of Warcraft were. And I haven't stopped ever since xD
although now i've got writer's block so i'm just lurking.

Reactions: XIII
Started roleplaying by writing a story with a friend of mine I had met on tumblr, back in liiiiiiiike 2011? After a couple years I was lookin’ for other stuff and found RPNation. Twas fun for awhile until it wasn’t and then I found my way here in 2016!

Reactions: XIII
my rp story is actually really, really unique so i figured i'd pop in, just this once.

when i was a little girl, i started playing toontown online. at some point after i got speedchat plus, i discovered a bunch of people roleplaying as sonic the hedgehog characters. i made a 'lovely' toon, her name was moon the hegdehog and... for some reason, i was really really weird as a kid so she was also part squirrel??? and nutty from happy tree friends was her brother or something??? i actually don't know why or how little me thought of that but it wasn't the worst thing i did (i pretended to be two people, a brother and sister and when i got tired of pretending to be the brother... well, child me came up with a horrible lie). after a while, i settled into just being myself, though i made many dumb characters, most famously 'green the hedgehog' who also ended up being part wolf at some point.

i think this came after sonic clan, but it very well could have come first, but toontown warriors were popular back in the day, and i joined one as a kit named 'white kit' (later 'white wing', and yes, both with the spaces) who was the standard size for a warrior and not an apprentice or kit. toontown warriors was filled with drama and a lot of that stuff, but one fond memory i have is being called life alert by a clan i joined with a lime green character named lifeheart.

eventually i ended up rping on deviantart with a couple of the friends from sonic clan, and when toontown closed and toontown rewritten popped up, i roleplayed a little there too before rp kinda died out there. i also joined warriorcatsrpg (feralfront, as it became known later in it's life) on and off and before that crumbled into a pile of ashes, i met a group of friends.

when feralfront collapsed, the group of friends planned to migrate our threads here. it never really happened due to some resulting drama with a toxic member of the group and a group preference for continuing things of discord, where we had started silly shenanigans b4 we even made the thread proper.

nowadays, i usually rp on discord, but i bounce around between a couple of forums occasionally. since i'm looking to branch out and make friends, i decided to come here and make an interest check!

the moral of this story? uh i dunno. the moral of this story is... have... fun? yes have fun. moral of the story is have fun. and also it's okay if you were a really dumb kid because i was also a really dumb kid.

For me it was a long, sort of complicated, process.

So technically my parents got me into it.

My dad is big into D&D, even taught my mom how to play when they were married. I was too young to play at the time, but I liked listening when I could. When I hit my teen years, something about creating stories and scenarios and playing it out with friends really called out to me (especially as I was recovering from surgery at the time and had little better to do). I had really restricted internet access at the time, so started long-form writing with a friend/neighbour and swapping a notebook back and forth. They were not... great, but it was fun!

Then a few years later, I took a creative writing class and my teacher had a few lessons on what she called tandem writing and I went 'Oh hey, I've done this!' and it got me wondering if there were online spaces for it and here I am.

• Love
Reactions: XIII and rissa
TIME TO WRITE ALL OF MY POSTS IN ALL CAPS I GUESS!!!

I WAS BROWSING THE INTERNET AS A YOUNG TEEN AND THEN SOMEHOW ENDED UP IN THE RP SECTION OF A WEEB SITE AND THOUGHT: THIS IS A GOOD WAY TO PRACTICE ENGLISH. NO FRIENDS OR ANYONE INVITING ME UNFORTUNATELY.