Roleplay Petpeeves

*nods to @dragonesper*
@Lord Calibur , I was mostly joking when saying we were the better ones. I totally agree to what you wrote, and I practice it myself. ^^ I've made many friends when approaching people that way, and we grow together as writers.
I experienced a rather cranky rp'er one though, who just couldn't seem to listen, and @dragonesper, you heard me complain about this one at one point. I told the rp'er I couldn't enjoy the rp if ze kept going on like ze did with Godmoding, stepping over my character, and giving hir own character too much power when it was my character who was in higher rank, and then also degraded my character...So I told hir I had to break it up unless things didn't change- after the third time, and I didn't get response after that. I meet more nice writers than bad though, I think.

It's a dangerous subject, because there is this limit between personal opinions and actual fact. It's a huge grey zone, and not everyone sees that. People may have a guarded stance already from the start, because who wants to see their own creations/their baby, being pointed out as something other than you want to hear? Say anything the guarded mother don't want to hear then you're dead haha. Anyways, it's an artform to let people know you don't mean anything bad. I wish there was a button saying; "I come in peace." So the one receiving the message won't scrutinize the message from the beginning. x3

Not to appear finicky or anything, but it truly bothers me when one completely disregards basic grammar/spelling rules. I understand the differences between American English and British English, but that is no excuse for misspelling 'shield'. Occasionally, it's alright, but when it become consistent it's jUST ASDFGHJKL; ARRRGH!!!

And your/you're, then/than, and adding unnecessary spaces between words and punctuation or unnecessary punctuation also irks me.

Other, self-explanatory stuff:
-One-liners
-Gargantuan character images
-Mary Sue's/Gary Stu's
-OP characters

That's not finicky. That's just normal. XD

This is going to sound weird, but what kind of irks me is when Roleplayers overestimate themselves and say they can do intermediate/adept/advance/prestige roleplays, only to be unable to reply to you because they're in over their heads. I Roleplay all levels (actually, I won't go higher than advance and one-liners can be bothersome but something I can work with), but when I say I'm going for a intermediate Roleplay, expect a detailed response o.o Yeah, sometimes I can get carried away, but I try to make it known to my partners they can ask me to change my post if they are unable to find a way to reply. I won't be offended or bite your head off. I swear .v.

I also don't like it when people press for replies. I don't have internet access at home with the exception being my phone, and I do have RL issues to deal with, so if I'm not responding to you, it's because I don't have the inspiration or I have no internet access and/or I have this awesome post saved as a draft on the tablet and need internet to post it, so chill .-.

This is going to sound weird, but what kind of irks me is when Roleplayers overestimate themselves and say they can do intermediate/adept/advance/prestige roleplays, only to be unable to reply to you because they're in over their heads. I Roleplay all levels (actually, I won't go higher than advance and one-liners can be bothersome but something I can work with), but when I say I'm going for a intermediate Roleplay, expect a detailed response o.o Yeah, sometimes I can get carried away, but I try to make it known to my partners they can ask me to change my post if they are unable to find a way to reply. I won't be offended or bite your head off. I swear .v.

I also don't like it when people press for replies. I don't have internet access at home with the exception being my phone, and I do have RL issues to deal with, so if I'm not responding to you, it's because I don't have the inspiration or I have no internet access and/or I have this awesome post saved as a draft on the tablet and need internet to post it, so chill .-.
To be fair, I've always thought of Intermediate as single paragraph posts. So detailed responses aren't exactly an Intermediate thing, from my understanding.

INTERMEDIATE

At this level, you should exhibit a distinct writing voice and style. All players must be familiar with common grammar and punctuation and write clearly legible posts with varied sentence structure. You will be expected to have more fleshed-out characters and adhere to the setting.

^Iwaku's definition of Intermediate. That's also what I mean by detailed. And I don't often associated post length with writing level.

Reactions: Laivindur
Here's two from me, one of which I'm going to write a guide on soon.

Spatial Contextual Awareness: Rather, the complete lack of it. This is a complex thing to grasp in its entirety, but generally it refers to one's conception of the passage of time, distance and size of objects, the velocity of people and things, et cetera. If you've ever read a post where someone leaps several feet across a room and cuts you down before you can so much as flinch, or pull the trigger on a gun, you've met what I like to call the reality-blind player.

Reality-blind players are perhaps the most aggravating thing you can meet short of godmoders. These are the kinds of people that think that Nippon Steel is truly invincible, that actions they see in anime are somehow achievable in the real world, and that you can totally fall 30 feet and be perfectly okay. These are the kinds of people that think they can dodge arrows or crossbow bolts, despite both going faster than the human eye can even track them. These are the kinds of people who have utterly no comprehension of height, weight, measurements of distance or volume, or really any sort of mathematical ability whatsoever in any context or manner. These are the kinds of people where if you challenge them to describe a room, they will fail it because they literally don't know how to do so.

These are the kinds of players who behave as though their actions occur in a vacuum. That if they charge several dozen feet to cut someone down, for that entire duration of time, their target will do nothing but stand there and die. They generally cannot comprehend multiple actions occurring within the same time-frame, because they literally can't comprehend the passage of time. They're probably one of the most prolific problem players you can meet, but unlike Godmoders or Metagamers, most people don't even know what they are. :ferret:

Stupid Questions: As a GM especially although players occasionally get this too. The majority of questions I get asked generally fall under stuff you can either Google search in five minutes or could be answered simply by reading what I already wrote in the main OOC post. I've gotten questions like "how do you spell Renalta?" When the proper spelling of Renalta is in the very title of the role play. Seriously, this is probably one of the most irritating things a human being can do: Ask an endless spray of stupid questions. Sometimes I just tell them to go read the main post, again, and often times they'll come back with "I don't understand?? Just tell me. D:" I have to resist every temptation to respond with this.

If you don't understand the basics of my role plays, why are you joining them? Stop wasting my time. Stop wasting your time. Learn how to read beyond elementary school level and come back later. :ferret: I don't mind teaching people who need help, this is a thing I actually enjoy doing. However, if you're so far behind the necessary level of intelligence or skill that you fail basic reading comprehension on a repeated basis, and thus have to ask me a barrage of endless, stupid questions that could have been answered by reading the first post properly... Well, I honestly just don't have time for you.

Oh, and no, it's not a dick move to tell you to find another RP if you can't even read mine properly. You won't have fun, and I won't have fun, if you can't understand what it is I'm writing.

So before you ask a stupid question...

...Just read the first OOC post in the RP again, just to be sure you aren't asking something the GM has already answered. Okay? Okay. :ferret:

I've come across the Spatial Context Awareness issue a couple of times myself, and it can be annoying. I don't have much of a problem with regards to fights and physics and the like since my particular rp likes to embrace anime physics for those (although I can understand it being aggraviting for a grounded rp) but I have had it happen quite often just in terms of the location, environment, what other characters are nearby etcetc. I've been quite blessed of late that it hasn't happened too often, mostly because after introducing the idea of explicitly stating where a character is in their post with a header at the start helps to avoid that, however you still get some people who simply misread or overlook what their characters' environment is like, and that can be quite frustrating.

As for a pet peeve of mine, it's people who do not follow the expected posting expectations and requirements of the rp. They're stated there for a reason. I'm sympathetic to people who cannot meet the demands of my rp, but in that respect there are plenty of other rps out there that have less demanding expectations that might fit that players' desires better. I hate having my rp slowed down by players who simply will not post consistently on time. It gets frustrating.

Here's two from me, one of which I'm going to write a guide on soon.

Spatial Contextual Awareness: Rather, the complete lack of it. This is a complex thing to grasp in its entirety, but generally it refers to one's conception of the passage of time, distance and size of objects, the velocity of people and things, et cetera. If you've ever read a post where someone leaps several feet across a room and cuts you down before you can so much as flinch, or pull the trigger on a gun, you've met what I like to call the reality-blind player.

Reality-blind players are perhaps the most aggravating thing you can meet short of godmoders. These are the kinds of people that think that Nippon Steel is truly invincible, that actions they see in anime are somehow achievable in the real world, and that you can totally fall 30 feet and be perfectly okay. These are the kinds of people that think they can dodge arrows or crossbow bolts, despite both going faster than the human eye can even track them. These are the kinds of people who have utterly no comprehension of height, weight, measurements of distance or volume, or really any sort of mathematical ability whatsoever in any context or manner. These are the kinds of people where if you challenge them to describe a room, they will fail it because they literally don't know how to do so.

These are the kinds of players who behave as though their actions occur in a vacuum. That if they charge several dozen feet to cut someone down, for that entire duration of time, their target will do nothing but stand there and die. They generally cannot comprehend multiple actions occurring within the same time-frame, because they literally can't comprehend the passage of time. They're probably one of the most prolific problem players you can meet, but unlike Godmoders or Metagamers, most people don't even know what they are. :ferret:

Stupid Questions: As a GM especially although players occasionally get this too. The majority of questions I get asked generally fall under stuff you can either Google search in five minutes or could be answered simply by reading what I already wrote in the main OOC post. I've gotten questions like "how do you spell Renalta?" When the proper spelling of Renalta is in the very title of the role play. Seriously, this is probably one of the most irritating things a human being can do: Ask an endless spray of stupid questions. Sometimes I just tell them to go read the main post, again, and often times they'll come back with "I don't understand?? Just tell me. D:" I have to resist every temptation to respond with this.

If you don't understand the basics of my role plays, why are you joining them? Stop wasting my time. Stop wasting your time. Learn how to read beyond elementary school level and come back later. :ferret: I don't mind teaching people who need help, this is a thing I actually enjoy doing. However, if you're so far behind the necessary level of intelligence or skill that you fail basic reading comprehension on a repeated basis, and thus have to ask me a barrage of endless, stupid questions that could have been answered by reading the first post properly... Well, I honestly just don't have time for you.

Oh, and no, it's not a dick move to tell you to find another RP if you can't even read mine properly. You won't have fun, and I won't have fun, if you can't understand what it is I'm writing.

So before you ask a stupid question...

...Just read the first OOC post in the RP again, just to be sure you aren't asking something the GM has already answered. Okay? Okay. :ferret:
Amen. Reality blind players...*shivers*

Mabye there are genres in playing-types roleplayers should be aware about; Like: This is an anime type rp where flying long distances and cutting down people can happen. Or This is a reality zone type roleplay(My preference)

Importance of specifying what and how you can play seems like a forgotten stage. It feels like I unlocked a new achievement just now :O

I've come across the Spatial Context Awareness issue a couple of times myself, and it can be annoying. I don't have much of a problem with regards to fights and physics and the like since my particular rp likes to embrace anime physics for those (although I can understand it being aggraviting for a grounded rp) but I have had it happen quite often just in terms of the location, environment, what other characters are nearby etcetc. I've been quite blessed of late that it hasn't happened too often, mostly because after introducing the idea of explicitly stating where a character is in their post with a header at the start helps to avoid that, however you still get some people who simply misread or overlook what their characters' environment is like, and that can be quite frustrating.

As for a pet peeve of mine, it's people who do not follow the expected posting expectations and requirements of the rp. They're stated there for a reason. I'm sympathetic to people who cannot meet the demands of my rp, but in that respect there are plenty of other rps out there that have less demanding expectations that might fit that players' desires better. I hate having my rp slowed down by players who simply will not post consistently on time. It gets frustrating.
Yeah, roleplaying is for fun, but it's important to let the involved players know if you're gone for an amount of time or anything. There's a discipline to it. To respect the other players is very important not to cause confusion or annoyance. I am very glad I''ve been playing with people who honestly lets me know they are quitting or going away for a while. Then I know WHY. :)

Reactions: Pachamac
Reactions: Akira Tadokoro
I know in some roleplays there is a definite main character that the story follows, but sometimes there isn't and some people get this "my character is the main charcter" mentality. I, for one, hate this main character attitude. I know some people that are ok with playing sideline characters, but I am not and I refuse to make anyone play sidelines because I want to be the main character. To me these people are even worse than the reality-blind characters because they try to make the story about them and hijack anything they can and center it around their character. Suddenly there are special things about this person when said special things should never have existed in the first place. It's just disturbing to see someone that can't stand to have an average character. If you want to have a main character that is absolutely fine but make sure it's in a roleplay that allows for this, hijacking a plot and making about you is a serious no go for me. I, too, want to write an interesting character, not a sidekick who's only there when he/she is needed.

I know in some roleplays there is a definite main character that the story follows, but sometimes there isn't and some people get this "my character is the main charcter" mentality. I, for one, hate this main character attitude. I know some people that are ok with playing sideline characters, but I am not and I refuse to make anyone play sidelines because I want to be the main character. To me these people are even worse than the reality-blind characters because they try to make the story about them and hijack anything they can and center it around their character. Suddenly there are special things about this person when said special things should never have existed in the first place. It's just disturbing to see someone that can't stand to have an average character. If you want to have a main character that is absolutely fine but make sure it's in a roleplay that allows for this, hijacking a plot and making about you is a serious no go for me. I, too, want to write an interesting character, not a sidekick who's only there when he/she is needed.
I totally see your point.

This one's probably already been said, but I get annoyed when the other person (in 1x1 roleplays) doesn't give you much to go off of in their post. It's like when you're talking to a person in real life and they keep saying things you don't know how to respond to, so the conversation gradually shortens to one-word answers and then turns into an awkward silence.

Reactions: Stray Cat
My pet peeve is dropping me without explaining properly, two guys in the last few days dropped me. One because I had told him to post less smaller paragraphs (15 paragraph post each with 4 sentences). I have farsightedness so I have the worst time reading long posts, and I have post concussion syndrome so it's hard to write long posts. The other at least said it politely but I would of loved to worked it out instead of "We aren't compatible." Even if he didn't mean for it to hurt it still does..

Quality>Quantity that is my motto...

Jump-Ins that require skeletons. Why are you posting a jump in the first place?! Seriously :/ I like my jump ins especially if I don't want to be botheres with skeletons, but people sesem to think if it's a jump in no IOC thread requited and everything gets smushed into one threads. It's fine to create a discussion thread for a jump in but if you're posting a skeleton post it in a different forum >:[

If I felt confident enough I would so votenteer to be the Jump-In moderator .-. It needs it bad!​

I don't think this one has been mentioned yet, and if it has, well, I haven't read this thread in a while.

Unnecessary details in CSes.

I don't need to know that your character would pick a different power if they could.

I also dislike those CSes where they answer based on their character, unless it's required. This goes doubly so when their character answers oh so snarkily, even for just gender and age.