Roleplay Petpeeves

Another are the people who claim to be great writers ans say that they have Roleplayed for years or can dish out a ton of paragraphs. When they give you a roleplay, it's pretty half assed. Another was when someone bitched at me for my OOC marks. I use |ϟ| on the laptop and |¥| when on mobile. Someone said this to me.

"Why are you using that? Every RPer uses (())! ARE YOU NEW?!"
xD aaah I feel the pain

Reactions: Akira Tadokoro
My pet peeves are fairly normal.

I absolutely detest god-modding and have had some experience with a god-modder in another forum. I was pretty fresh to RPing back then too.
Same with bunnying: I do not like that one very much either.
The one and only person who I permit a mild degree of both is my friend @Laivindur because of two simple facts: She asks me OOC about these things and I trust her to not abuse the permission granted. Our styles might be different but I love that roleplay-brain of hers.

Sometimes I use a little time on a few posts, either because I need to think about my answer or because I'm busy and have to prioritize which ones I reply to. Otherwise I'm actually more prone to the opposite phenomenon of speed-posting. Having grown since I was a horrible transgressor of that I try to avoid doing that by keeping a number of posts between my posts in group RPs.

Otherwise it's the whole: Disappearing off the face of the earth-thing that can happen. I'll live, but it would be nice with a message.
I was about to give u a face huger...but I'm not. I love you bud !

Sometime that really bothers me, that I don't think has been mentioned here, is when someone posts a character in a group RP that completely undermines your own. I know it's hardly ever intentional, but if someone has a character who's main characteristic is that they're secretly a thieving scoundrel, don't make another 'amazingly skilled thief' character. Especially don't include a bunch of details of how thieves are so prevalent in the town. Hmph.

Sometime that really bothers me, that I don't think has been mentioned here, is when someone posts a character in a group RP that completely undermines your own. I know it's hardly ever intentional, but if someone has a character who's main characteristic is that they're secretly a thieving scoundrel, don't make another 'amazingly skilled thief' character. Especially don't include a bunch of details of how thieves are so prevalent in the town. Hmph.
Mmm! I can see how that could be a bummer sometimes, yes.

Reactions: Kaz
I rarely see this one in pet-peeve threads, maybe because it doesn't occur often, or people just don't really pay it any mind. I dislike when in an RP every close relationship has to be depicted as romance, as if you can't have a close relationship without it being romantic. There are so many ways a close relationship can work out: Parent-Child, Brother-Sister...good ole friendship maybe? A friendly rivalry? Characters don't need to kiss and bone in order to be close.

I rarely see this one in pet-peeve threads, maybe because it doesn't occur often, or people just don't really pay it any mind. I dislike when in an RP every close relationship has to be depicted as romance, as if you can't have a close relationship without it being romantic. There are so many ways a close relationship can work out: Parent-Child, Brother-Sister...good ole friendship maybe? A friendly rivalry? Characters don't need to kiss and bone in order to be close.
Uff, that bothers me, too. I adore sibling relationships and close friends. It bothers me when people predetermine relationships, too, or try to hook their character up with any other that interacts with them.

Same with bunnying: I do not like that one very much either.
Sorry, I don't have anything to add on the subject. However, could you clarify what bunnying is exactly? I've not seen the term before.

The term I've seen here for bunnying is power play.
When you god mod you decide the total outcome of everything through your character.
When bunnying/power playing you take control of another persons character, often without permission.

Reactions: Rebel-Dynasty
Roleplay pet-peeves? Hmm...

I'd say when someone just has to make their character better than the other character(s) they're RPing with. Like for instance, say someone is RPing a girl, usually in a sort of romance setting, and insists on having her character always play the victim in the relationship. I guess Mary-Sue types, in general. A character--canon or OC--should have flaws, just as well as good points. Otherwise, the character is lackluster and boring.

Reactions: Laivindur
I agree. Weakness is needed in order to give the character something to hide or strive for. A goal, and something to hide. That's usually a very good motive for a character to act :)
However, should a character have the perk of being rather awesome and a little OP, that should be cleared out, so others understand that. It's a little sad when the writer can't pull it off though. x3

I agree. Weakness is needed in order to give the character something to hide or strive for. A goal, and something to hide. That's usually a very good motive for a character to act :)
However, should a character have the perk of being rather awesome and a little OP, that should be cleared out, so others understand that. It's a little sad when the writer can't pull it off though. x3

So, a bit of a newb question, but in the context of roleplaying, what does OP mean? ^^; Or is there a thread around here that explains the diffierent RP-related acronyms?

So, a bit of a newb question, but in the context of roleplaying, what does OP mean? ^^; Or is there a thread around here that explains the diffierent RP-related acronyms?

In this case, "over-powered".

It can also mean "original post" or "original poster", though, when referring to the first post of a thread or the person who started it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
You learn something new everyday x3 Thanks, Kaga-kun.

In this case, "over-powered".

It can also mean "original post" or "original poster", though, when referring to the first post of a thread or the person who started it.
Ah, I gotcha now. (And yeah, I knew OP in the context of posting, just not in this sense). ^^; And agreed @Laivindur; if the character has special powers and limitations, those should be revealed beforehand so as to avoid issues while the RP is in session. :)

I haven't really got much experience in Forum RP, but I have GM'd a decade of tabletop games and about as long RP'd in MMO's, so...

Yeah, OP characters are kinda nonsense, especially when the player only made them OP to one-up everyone else. I have a much worse peeve, though - arms races.
You know what I'm talking about. When one character is OP, another player wants their character to one-up the other. Eventually, the story (which I probably put so much effort into bringing to life) is tossed aside due to an impending Dragon Ball Z duel. Nothing is more destructive than a player's ego that can't tell the difference between reality and fiction.

I have a whole list of other obvious peeves, but I suppose my other biggest ones are Copy-Cat Characters ("He's not Dante from DMC, he's... 'Vante'!"), Abstract Non-sensical Disease Syndrome ("My dude has ANDS. . . it's terminal, not that you have any idea what that means, and my character can totally still do normal things despite having this soul-crushing illness that is supposed to be lethal!"), and Tone-Breakers ("I know we were just discussing how we were going to prevent genocide on a grand scale, but have you noticed I'm wearing my pants backwards?").

Tone-Breakers ("I know we were just discussing how we were going to prevent genocide on a grand scale, but have you noticed I'm wearing my pants backwards?").
Yeah, a lot of otherwise stellar games can be thoroughly ruined by players whose characters or posts don't jibe with the tone the GM is trying to maintain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarokhor
It's probably cause I write stories on the subject, but my personal pet peeve is when people RP with no consideration to the world around them.

More specifically...NPCs are humans too. Like, geez, people seem to believe that, just because they're player characters, it gives them the right to do whatever they want to non-player characters. Every time I read a post where a player defines himself as a badass by tossing another NPC student through a window, before glaring the NPC teacher into silence, or something like that, I'm just like..."You're lucky I'm not the GM, because that's the type of crap that gets you destroyed."

Same applies for mowing down fodder just because they sound like fodder (e.g generic fantasy bandits/drunk tavern dudes).

Or turning a powerful corporate entity into a cartoonish gang of powerhungry, corrupt, slavering idiots just so you can fulfil your ideal of 'teenagers are shining paragons of truth and righteousness'.

They aren't tools to make you look better. They're human beings too. q.q

#SaveTheNPCs #StopNPCAbuse

But yeah, massive RPing pet peeve of mine. Literally boils my brain.

I can relate to these last things...and it makes me sad...Though the next chapter in this: @dragonesper, why don't you make a discussion where people discuss what to do with pet peeve feeders, or whatever we call these persons who gives us hardships in enjoying the rp.
We have to deal with these people as well, and perhaps make them better? Because of course we mean that we do things better- that's why we're complaining right? ;) Like, explain them in a proper way how we feel, then perhaps encourage them to change their style to be more collaborative to others, and of course respect the GM. I have experienced both success and not by talking to the other rp'er. ^^ What do you think?

Reactions: dragonesper
That ain't the attitude to approach it with, mate. It is universally a bad idea to just assume that you are better than other people - that is how. . . just about every evil ever happens. Mistakes could be made, not to mention it will only help to distance you from potential friends and RP-mates. If you make such assumptions, it is all too easy to fall into a mental state of extremism.

My suggestion? Be polite, and Show-Don't Tell. If someone is doing something that is negatively affecting the game, you should tell them how you feel about it - not as in "What you are doing is wrong!", but instead "I think I get what you're trying to go for, but the way you are doing this is having this effect, and I would like it more if you did this, or at least changed it". Not a cookie-cutter sample, but you get what I'm saying. That change in tone is extremely important when trying to positively maintain a friendship/group, and the other person will be more inclined to pay attention or otherwise do as you say. It's also important to give the other person an "out", so to speak - a way that they can make it better, and escape this while maintaining face. And, in the off-chance that you are the one that's wrong, it gives the other person a chance to communicate back. It's simply the most constructive way to do it.
When not in direct confrontation, just try to be the best example you can be - show other people how you do it. Perhaps, if what you do is impressive enough, others may begin to tail your style - and that's a good thing.

Just my two-cents. This is kinda my advice in regards to any dispute, really. Consideration, Politeness, Positivity, and Open-Mindedness. You know - all that hippy crap!
Or you could just tell them that they smell like fossilized cheese. That tends to get a response.

@Laivindur there should be some threads about making the roleplay work. There's a few guides around for the mechanics at least.

The most major tool to work things out is communication. As for the pet peeves surrounding game mechanics all you can do is to point towards the guides that already exist.

Recently I've been developing the pet peeve where someone uses insanity as a part of their character, specify what conditions trigger that insanity, repeatedly call their char insane and when the conditions are in place? Doesn't show it at all and/or display it like bloodlust -.-