INTEREST CHECK Roleplay on a planet I designed - Ġa'imun

hmmm. not sure if I'm understanding this one. Do you mean what are they called? like for the father and mother or what? Or do you mean how many kids are typical or something? I think i'm reading something wrong xD

If you mean how large families are: there's usually the father, the mother and for almost all factions of Shiyaitans there is usually 1-2 children. Not much more given there life span and they way they reproduce.

Shiyaitans reproduce through similar intercourse as humans, but give birth to off-spring as a fleshy egg which the child inside slowly "eats" until they consume the egg completely and are then officially born. It's a slightly shorter period than human conception to birth (takes them about 6 months earth time). Because of this (and the fact that most of them are working with something) they don't produce much more than that per family unless they're nomadic where the goal is to ensure some for of your blood line sticks along.

I was wondering if children are raised by their parents or in a different setting, such as in a group. Also, if parent figures are a mother-type and a father-type, or something else.

Ah okay.

Children are usually raised in a school-ish setting with other Shiyaitans of similar age. They are taught the basics of whatever "faction" they are in through different age groups. Though with the higher class Shiyaitans, if they aren't practicing rune casting or some sort of politic relations than they simply have fun. Parents and their children still have very loving relationships with each other during the two times of day in which there are breaks (I'll have to pull the info about the work day timing) as well as just before the time of rest.

EDIT: oh yeah, males and females are pretty balanced culturally. There isn't really a masculine or feminine role as both parents are often in the same line of work and are both strict and loving towards their children. It is a relatively androgynous race.

Speaking of Shiyaitan rest, I forgot to mention that because of their form of sight (having a sonar-like organ in their brain along with their eyes) they can't just shut their eye lids and sleep. They have to go through a meditative state to quite literally shut off some brain functions. (this often also includes a topical gel that helps de-stimulate, or anesthetize the brain temporarily)

Okay, so with schooling, is there a college of sorts? Also, at what age would a child become an adult? Or would it be more of an event-triggered change? (First menstruation, first kill, etc.)

alright Imma do this in parts that way I can copy paste it better into the first post for reference :P

Schooling: there is no other college-like establishments besides those made for Shiyaitans wishing to become Rune Casters. The schools are less of a school system and more of a community training type of thing for the youngins.

Adulthood: Shiyaitans become biologically mature around 13-15 (as they grow/age faster than humans, while living slightly shorter). However they do have different traditions within different cities (only a few of which I've created - the other could actually be unique for whoever wants to make a unique story for their character actually). Some of the ones I created is for Rune Casters specifically, they are considered full fledged intellectual adults when they have finished the preliminary studies of the art. For Kusinoṡi (one of the villages) being a proper parent is considered being an adult. While for many nomadic races, you are fit to be an adult when you start to provide for the group by gathering food or otherwise help in some significant way.

so it varies not only by the "faction" of the Shiyaitan, but also from the region they are from. (regions are usually divided into sections by their location in co-relation of the lakes - which have individual names - these act as major directional ponts. rather than saying north, south or whatever, they would say the direction by one of the lakes (which are positioned in an almost triangular shape).

Are the majority of the Shiyaitans male and female, or are there other common sexes and/or genders?

[MENTION=3387]GeekOut[/MENTION]: interesting question actually. I did originally make it to where Shiyaitans were Asexual, that they produced their own eggs, but I didn't want to make them too detached and unrelateable for the reader so I later created human-like gender differences. However, I did make a being very much related to the Shihaitans and their "religion" asexual, and capable of enlightening a specific few with the same gift. (only females can become asexual through this enlightenment though).

The being responsible for this I call a Daṫu. They are sentient beings of energy, and the original inhabitants of the planet. They are capable of near god-like abilities and considered the deities/ancient founders of Shiyaitans and their culture. They may rarely choose a Shiyaitan to posess them, deeming the enlightened one a Daṫu-ako. The individuals become fully synchronized with the god-like creature and gain all it's abilities, however the male anatomy renders asexual reproduction impossible. An enlightened female on the other hand is very capable of this feat - this would not likely show up int he RP though, as the character in control of a Daṫu become spiritual leaders and pracitically demi-gods themselves. (wouldn't be too much fun for RP, and it's such a rare case that the only reason I even bring it up is because I attempted writing a book on a young boy who became a Daṫu-ako) just an interesting tid bit really, but I may consider it for RP if the character would be within fair use. :P

to answer your question plainly though, Shiyaitans themselves are simply males and females - the egg from which they're born is the only thing considered genderless, as the gender is developed far into the process of their birth.

EDIT: added a few interesting tid bits just for fun, might help with more character creation or just knowing more about the race.

just doing a quick bump - I feel like there was meant to be a follow up after I answered the last question :P

So are Daṫu worshiped when they have not created a Daṫu-ako?

I did originally make it to where Shiyaitans were Asexual, that they produced their own eggs, but I didn't want to make them too detached and unrelateable for the reader so I later created human-like gender differences.
Random note/thought: There are some species of lizard that reproduce asexually, being all female, but are more fertile if they "play" at intercourse.

Absolutely, the Daṫu are still recognized as the creators/founders of the planet and it's creatures. However the act of worshiping them isn't quite as prominent as it is with religions on Earth. there isn't really much praying going on, or gatherings for teaching these things. It's more or less passed down through bed-time stories and other simple folk lore, and not really enforced at all. (they don't really have to, seeing as how their "gods" have been seen, and are still seen from time to time.)

oh yes, on the lizards. That's actually where I drew inspiration for some form of asexual reproduction as a norm (it kind of moved to species that were more similar to giant arthropods though, like the Paluṡ). In the end, though, I wanted the Shihaitans to simply be more humanoid or at least elf-like.

How do the Shiyaitans regard the animals they work with? Are they seen as beasts with little/no sentience, or more like equals?

hmm. this is a tough one. I've honestly never thought about it, but them being sentient beings would more or less be able to decide for themselves - I imagine their placement in a certain type of culture would build their opinion on this.

I think a nomadic Shiyaitan would either feel closer to animals and therefore treat them as equals, or the opposite extremity of seeing them as tools to further their progression.

With Villagers I would say they think lesser of them, but are kind to them as if they're equals

The higher educated people of Cities would probably be far more open for interpretations depending on either their own agenda or classes they've studied. (kinda like how college my change some people's opinions of historical events or something like that.)

There are a few species of both plants and animals which all 3 types would more or less actually consider greater than the Shiyaitan race. The Daṫu being one of them (mainly because they're inlike any other flora or fauna of the planet - they're actually kinda like Mushi if you think about it xD). Few other things that are considered vital to their own life or culture might be considered greater than themselves amongst all Shiyaitans.

From the pictures, it looked like they have a writing system. Do you have any legends for this world?

oh yes, I've developed an alphabet and the basic phonetics of the language, and very few phrases that I tweak constantly when I come up with a change. The basic writing can also take on the form of ideograms - although they are the word turned into a calligraphic picture of sorts, you can write it phonetically or as the "picture".

Anyway, as far as legends go I've only come up with a few. There is the legend of the sky cities (which are ontop of that floating plant I mentioned) and another legend of a Paluṡ that lived so long that the only rock it built upon it's back became a cavern - and the cavern crawls upon the desert still. Those are the only adventurous types of legends I've made so far, while another is related to a metaphorical expression I made: Ġisas - which is firstly the name of a plant, but often used to refer to two-faced individuals, as the plant both harms people with strong static charges, but it's the flora from which they get the neuro-anisthetic gel to help them sleep.

I'd love to develop more legends or folktales though!

Now that I've thought about it for a while, using the current legends I've come up with would be an interesting RP basis by themselves. Or I could make new legends which I could then add to the culture. Whichever seems more fun :P